Off Topic

CincyImages

On 6/29/2019 at 4:10 AM, jmecklenborg said:

I don't know.  I have yet to hear good (like $1,000+) bluetooth speakers in person. 

If you are a true audiophile, Bluetooth is not the way to go. Even if you are listening to a high-quality MP3 or AAC files, your phone/computer is decoding that file and re-compressing it to send it over Bluetooth. And then it's being decompressed again by your Bluetooth speaker/headphones. So the audio quality is definitely "good enough" for 99% of people, but if you're the type of person who is going to spend $500 on a good turntable with a good cartridge, or build a collection of high quality FLAC files, it would defeat the purpose to listen via Bluetooth at a degraded quality.

Bluetooth devices also tend to have a lot of annoying quirks. For example, I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers in my office that sound awesome (I think I paid around $200 for the pair), but when they turn off, they forget about being paired to a phone or computer. So every single time I turn the speakers on, I have to go into Settings on my phone and re-pair it with the speakers. Other Bluetooth speakers I have owned before have had different but equally annoying quirks.

A 7.1 earthquake?? Play ball!!

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 2 weeks later...

I found a pair on ebay for $250. Rock n Roll! My neighbors live far away. 

Nowadays, most folks want smaller speakers, but the market for supersized models hasn't totally disappeared. JBL's Northridge Series ND310IIs (listed at $349 each) are rather large examples, and we loved their unabashedly retro style and sound. They're the speaker equivalent of a well-used '67 Chevelle SS396--and just as fun. These speakers aren't for everybody, but if you're lusting after big sound or you need to fill a large space, we highly recommend the ND310IIs.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jbl-nd310ii-review/

Polk Monitor 5 -Vintage 1987 mint

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/d/columbus-vintage-polk-5-monitor/6928759278.html

Edited by Mildtraumatic

Guest jmecklenborg
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

I found a pair on ebay for $250. Rock n Roll! My neighbors live far away. 

Nowadays, most folks want smaller speakers, but the market for supersized models hasn't totally disappeared. JBL's Northridge Series ND310IIs (listed at $349 each) are rather large examples, and we loved their unabashedly retro style and sound. They're the speaker equivalent of a well-used '67 Chevelle SS396--and just as fun. These speakers aren't for everybody, but if you're lusting after big sound or you need to fill a large space, we highly recommend the ND310IIs.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jbl-nd310ii-review/

Polk Monitor 5 -Vintage 1987 mint

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/d/columbus-vintage-polk-5-monitor/6928759278.html

Well this review certainly dates itself:

The ND310IIs' bodacious looks inspired us to dig up our Pink Floyd and Parliament Funkadelic CDs, and we reveled in the big, bad '70s sound. These speakers can party! Returning to the 21st century, we sampled the awesome new White Stripes CD, Elephant, and the ND310IIs delivered the full measure of Meg White's massive drum sound and Jack White's fearsome guitar.

Hi everypeep.

I got published in Huffington Post today, which is a pretty big score for me. Thought I would post here to share with my UO peeps.

What I’ve Learned About Unemployment And Being Poor After Applying For 215 Jobs

This month marks two years since I lost my full-time job. At the time, I’d been working as a communications professional for 15 years, and the loss was devastating. I was a single mother with almost nothing in savings and no safety net.

Read more:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/unemployment-poverty-america_n_5d387f32e4b004b6adb9a15e

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, rockandroller said:

Hi everypeep.

I got published in Huffington Post today, which is a pretty big score for me. Thought I would post here to share with my UO peeps.

This month marks two years since I lost my full-time job. At the time, I’d been working as a communications professional for 15 years, and the loss was devastating. I was a single mother with almost nothing in savings and no safety net.

Read more:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/unemployment-poverty-america_n_5d387f32e4b004b6adb9a15e

Thanks for sharing RandR.  You truly are a gifted writer.

• Like 1

Hey rockandroller---Great paper, i just read it. I remembered your name (rockandroller)--you were a regular contributor on this website, but I hadn't seen your name in long time and actually thought of you a couple of months ago (something about the aggressive homeless people around 13th and Chester). Glad you're still around! I liked your essay and I hope that it leads to a good, full-time work somewhere, from reaching the right person!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:54 PM, Mildtraumatic said:

Yes I want to get back to the authentic sound you get from a turntable and away from digital -CD sound. Bluetooth I would think would make it sound digital all over again coming from a turn table.. Defeating the purpose...?

To be honest, I can't hear the difference anymore so pretty much everything I have is digital these days.   But I never did get how random background noise was considered "authentic".

16 hours ago, rockandroller said:

Hi everypeep.

Read more:

Good to hear from you again, and a nice piece of writing despite (or because of) the bad circumstances.  You always provided a perspective here vis a vis downtown that others were inevitably going to miss.

"Scary Mommy" is an excellent site even when your not a mom LOL

• Like 1

I think the essay is "going viral" as they say. I have gotten close to 400 emails. My blog is blowing up. It's being shared all over LI and the FB sharing is unbelievable. I may have put a nail in the coffin to ever getting a "real" job again but it was worth it to get the emails I've been getting. This has really resonated with people and I am SO GLAD. Thanks for reading, my peeps.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, rockandroller said:

I think the essay is "going viral" as they say. I have gotten close to 400 emails. My blog is blowing up. It's being shared all over LI and the FB sharing is unbelievable. I may have put a nail in the coffin to ever getting a "real" job again but it was worth it to get the emails I've been getting. This has really resonated with people and I am SO GLAD. Thanks for reading, my peeps.

that's great news.

this is one of the most fantastically written, upfront and truthful pieces i have ever read. and even more, it is supremely important. it should be required reading in high schools and college business, healthcare, and ethics classes.

i don't know what else to say, except thank you and that of course we who know you online for so long are thinking of you, pulling for you and we wish you all the best.

• Like 3

Wow mrnyc, that is extremely high praise, and much appreciated.

I am going to work very hard to (finally) get a book deal out of this. It seems the right time, and I have thousands of comments and emails like your to put forward to an agent to convince them this is a story that needs to be told. I've already written the manuscript.

I haven't been on UO as much the last couple of years as it's been so much work just staying alive some days, and keeping my head above water. I had to cut out a lot of extra stuff in my life to focus on day to day living. I'm resurfacing now as it's been a good couple of months and I'm hopeful the tide is turning - and then this article hit. I just hope it can help me push a path forward where I can share my thoughts on these issues more widely, and hopefully further build my own business as a writer at the same time.

omg reddit drives me right up the wall. i like the links and photos and all, but the format and chatter is trash. its littered with virtue signalers, america bashers and cowards. any dissent is pushed to the bottom. i think its part owned by the chinese now so it will only get worse.

13 hours ago, mrnyc said:

omg reddit drives me right up the wall. i like the links and photos and all, but the format and chatter is trash. its littered with virtue signalers, america bashers and cowards. any dissent is pushed to the bottom. i think its part owned by the chinese now so it will only get worse.

Yeah, the entire concept of sorting all discussion by up/down votes is pretty bizarre. The only plausible result is groupthink and virtue signalling. Anything else, including anything resembling critical thinking or originality, is voted down and ultimately hidden from the discussion.

Guest jmecklenborg
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, rockandroller said:

I think that a lot of people who have been through situations like this hesitate to share the details.  I was laid off in May of 2009, at the bottom of the recession, and it took me almost 2 years to get a full-time job.  In the interim I worked all sorts of odd-jobs (and was laid off two more times by different places).  There were many low points.  For example, I got a job delivering pizzas (at age 30) and soon after delivered a pizza to my old boss - the one who had just laid me off.  But I didn't really care about that, there were actually some nuttier moments, like the time when I fell asleep at 7:30am~ while operating a table saw in a door factory because I was so sleep-deprived from working two jobs.  There were many more of those sorts of things.  

The worst part of these situations isn't what you personally go through, it's the commentary you get from all of the people out there who have never had to go through this sort of crap.  You come to realize how much your bad situation and their good situation is just luck.  Phrases you hear from them that aren't meant to be put-downs drive you crazy because you can tell they just don't know what they're talking about.  Thinking back to some of the college professors I had who liked to act like tough guys and tell you what the "real world" was going to be like - well you can tell they didn't know what they were talking about.  They were just lucky.  

14 hours ago, mrnyc said:

You're saying dissent of the dissent is pushed to the bottom?

Very Stable Genius

20 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

I think that a lot of people who have been through situations like this hesitate to share the details.  I was laid off in May of 2009, at the bottom of the recession, and it took me almost 2 years to get a full-time job.  In the interim I worked all sorts of odd-jobs (and was laid off two more times by different places).  There were many low points.  For example, I got a job delivering pizzas (at age 30) and soon after delivered a pizza to my old boss - the one who had just laid me off.  But I didn't really care about that, there were actually some nuttier moments, like the time when I fell asleep at 7:30am~ while operating a table saw in a door factory because I was so sleep-deprived from working two jobs.  There were many more of those sorts of things.  

The worst part of these situations isn't what you personally go through, it's the commentary you get from all of the people out there who have never had to go through this sort of crap.  You come to realize how much your bad situation and their good situation is just luck.  Phrases you hear from them that aren't meant to be put-downs drive you crazy because you can tell they just don't know what they're talking about.  Thinking back to some of the college professors I had who liked to act like tough guys and tell you what the "real world" was going to be like - well you can tell they didn't know what they were talking about.  They were just lucky.  

SO MUCH THIS. I am putting together a blog post to dispel some of the sh*tty comments I've gotten from know-it-alls but it doesn't matter how you explain things to smug, judgy fks, they always think they know better.

The visual of you delivering pizza to your old boss, my god, that should be in a movie.

22 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

You're saying dissent of the dissent is pushed to the bottom?

ha ha yes. you can downvote replies and they get pushed out. 

even worse, this so-called karma in redditspeak carries over. so if you have ever gotten any downvotes, you can forget getting a post seen on a completely different thread.

i think the original idea for voting post ranks was positive, to keep trolls at bay, but in reality it never played out that way.

nowadays reddit is also overrun with professionalized posting and trolling too. you can tell.

that said, as long as you stay out of the discussion on the popular threads or just ask a banal question maybe, reddit is still plenty useful.

ie., if you have any topic of interest put an 'r/' before it in google and chances are you will find there is a reddit thread for it. 

Great, now we can screw up two planets...

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I'm feeling rattled by the Dayton shooting. I live a few hundred feet away, and it woke me up. Fortunately I decided to call it an early night instead of going out. A friend of a friend was injured, but apparently not life-threateningly. Hoping I don't hear anything worse as far as personal connections go over the next several hours/days.

• Sad 3

Hey friends - 

My wife and I just got a 10 month old German shepherd. His first night with us was last night and he did pretty well, but he's been obviously a little nervous... 

His previous owner said he didn't usually drool, but he's been drooling in excess after he drinks, and it's getting all over lol. Has anyone experienced this related to a dog's anxiousness / nerves? Thanks! 

29 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Hey friends - 

My wife and I just got a 10 month old German shepherd. His first night with us was last night and he did pretty well, but he's been obviously a little nervous... 

His previous owner said he didn't usually drool, but he's been drooling in excess after he drinks, and it's getting all over lol. Has anyone experienced this related to a dog's anxiousness / nerves? Thanks! 

lots of walks and exercise. These are working dogs and some have drive. We had 2 and gave up 10 month a month ago and one passed at 14 this year. Just don't have the energy. Females are more loving. Very smart dogs but puppy age can be rough. He might be teething.

Edited by Mildtraumatic

On 8/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, YABO713 said:

Hey friends - 

Training is important.  Especially if kids are involved.   

On 8/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, Robuu said:

I'm feeling rattled by the Dayton shooting. I live a few hundred feet away, and it woke me up. Fortunately I decided to call it an early night instead of going out. A friend of a friend was injured, but apparently not life-threateningly. Hoping I don't hear anything worse as far as personal connections go over the next several hours/days.

o geez that is terrible -- my spouse just got back home from a dayton family visit. she went to feathers that day. its her favorite thrift store. needless to say i am still rattled. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, taestell said:

If you are a true audiophile, Bluetooth is not the way to go. Even if you are listening to a high-quality MP3 or AAC files, your phone/computer is decoding that file and re-compressing it to send it over Bluetooth. And then it's being decompressed again by your Bluetooth speaker/headphones. So the audio quality is definitely "good enough" for 99% of people, but if you're the type of person who is going to spend $500 on a good turntable with a good cartridge, or build a collection of high quality FLAC files, it would defeat the purpose to listen via Bluetooth at a degraded quality.

Bluetooth devices also tend to have a lot of annoying quirks. For example, I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers in my office that sound awesome (I think I paid around $200 for the pair), but when they turn off, they forget about being paired to a phone or computer. So every single time I turn the speakers on, I have to go into Settings on my phone and re-pair it with the speakers. Other Bluetooth speakers I have owned before have had different but equally annoying quirks.

Hmm. What do you think about using an old smartphone with a headphone jack as an "audio remote"? Is Spotify Premium + wired connection pretty good quality?

On 9/11/2019 at 7:18 AM, E Rocc said:

personally I think this is the GOAT onion article, but it might be offensive to more traditional sensibilities. https://local.theonion.com/not-knowing-what-else-to-do-woman-bakes-american-flag-1819566173

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, GCrites80s said:

OK, rural folk, stop calling me on the phone part of the phone then asking a million questions when an ambulance or fire truck drives by. "Why are there sirens? What is happening to you?" I've lived "in town" since 1999. At least if something does happen to me I won't have to lay there dying for half an hour for before they show up.

This just happened again, except it was me overhearing someone else's phone call. Like, these people always assume every siren in the background is for the person they are talking to.