Off Topic

CincyImages

Can someone make this a sticky?

We planned on going to Findlay Market but the place was closed. Talk about a gem in the middle of crapola.

We then headed to Scotti's on Vine but that too was closed so we ate at Hamburger Mary's. It was a good joint with good food. After that we checked out the Cincinnati Library and we were quite impressed. I couldn't get over how large it was and the children's garden was incredible. Loved it!

We ended up going to the Krohn Conservatory to see the Butterfly show which was really cool. Again that Krohn was bigger than it looked from the outside and my daughter had a blast. I finally heard the cicada's at Eden Park - they were freaking loud! Wow! Although we have cicada's in Mason, there aren't enough to make that noise.

What a great day in the city. Cincinnatus' photos of his place really made me envious of living in the city. I think city life is growing on my wife too, but then we would still have to deal with finding a private school for my daughter.

alast...

The stadium filled up nicely and the Reds won again to take first place from the Astros and although I am a Mets fan, it is cool to see the Reds winning with that Triple A team.

Guest Cincinnatus

The Reds seem to be having a yo-yo year. First place, last place, first place (if I am remembering right since I don't follow them as closely as I might). It is still early though, hope they end up in first in the central division at least.

OK, after going to Hamburger Mary's website I think I ate at a "gay" restaurant.(Not that there is anything wrong with that, hehe) If it wasn't the Will & Grace advertisement on the site, it was the "Queen eye for the straight guy" advertisement and the bartenders look a little too smiley. Then I mentioned it to my wife and she said, "duh, you couldn't tell?" Ah no I couldn't tell, but as I think back some things make a bit more sense, like the "Glory Hole" in the bathroom. :D Ok, ok there is no "Glory Hole"...lol

What do you guys know about Hamburger Mary's? Is it a "gay" restaurant?

http://www.hamburgermaryscincy.com

This looked suspect:

http://www.hamburgermaryscincy.com/pages/calendar.htm

I didn't know it was a chain either. It appears that they are in California, Nevada, DC and Florida. Interesting that a Cali chained opned it's only midwest location in Cincinnati.

The Reds seem to be having a yo-yo year. First place' date=' last place, first place (if I am remembering right since I don't follow them as closely as I might). It is still early though, hope they end up in first in the central division at least.[/quote']

All I know is I went to the game Saturday night and it was one of the most fun games I have ever been to. Back-and-forth, exciting, and getting to see Clemens pitch and get shelled.

Yes, Hamburger Mary's is a "gay" restaurant, Monte. Though I'm sure they'd use the word "eclectic" moreso than anything.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Guest Cincinnatus

You already know I was there (briefly on Saturday and for longer on Monday), though I have admitted I just took pics of it. I don't really like to eat standing up with people jostling around. I can say that I saw a lot of people coming and going from it all weekend long. This part of town was much busier than usual. It caused a big traffic problem for those attending the May Festival at Music Hall. People were still coming in 30 minutes after the concert started which was annoying and detracted from an otherwise memorable and brilliant series of performances.

My buddy arrived back in Tampa today and called me to tell me, "DAMN YOU".

He said his wife and him went to Dairy Queen today and they both said, "This isn't Graeters!" ...lol I don't think Cincinnatians know how good they have it with home town foods, etc...

Guest Cincinnatus

Comparing Graeters with Dairy Queen is like comparing a Rolls Royce with a Ford. It's good to hear your friends were favorably impressed with Cincinnati though.

My buddy arrived back in Tampa today and called me to tell me' date=' "DAMN YOU".

He said his wife and him went to Dairy Queen today and they both said, "This isn't Graeters!" ...lol I don't think Cincinnatians know how good they have it with home town foods, etc...[/quote']

Isn't Graeters Columbus based (or so the media has led me to believe), thus it isn't hometown to Cincinnati.

Graeter's is still Cincinnati based, out on Reading Rd. Columbus has a factory out on Bethel Road while Cincinnati's factory is still on Reading Road. Columbus, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington, and Metro Nastah are the only Graeter's locations.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Isn't Graeters Columbus based (or so the media has led me to believe)' date=' thus it isn't hometown to Cincinnati.[/quote']

Here is the history:

Since its founding in 1870 by Louis C. Graeter, Graeter's French Pot Ice Cream, handmade chocolate confections and fresh baked goods have become traditions in the Queen City. Today the Graeter family, consisting of three grandchildren and three great-grandsons of Louis Graeter still faithfully use his over one century old recipes and methods of production in the Reading Road plant.

In the mid 1800's, the Graeter family emigrated from Germany to a farm in Madison, Indiana. Louis left home at age 16 and came to Cincinnati, where he set up a malted milk stand near the present day Court Street market. After meeting with success there, he moved up to Walnut Hills and opened a confectionery and baked goods shop on the corner of Gilbert and Curtis. In 1879, Louis, his brother Fred and Fred's wife Anna opened an ice cream and confection shop at 473 McMillan Street. They operated the business together until 1888, when Louis left Cincinnati for California.

Fred and Anna moved the shop in 1889 to Vine Street and continued the ice cream and confection business without brother Louis for the rest of the 1800's. In 1899, Louis returned to Cincinnati and married Regina Berger, daughter of Anton Berger, who was president of the Julius J. Bantlin Company and the Calhoun Loan and Building Company. Together they opened a store on East McMillan Street which eventually grew into the modern day Graeter's Inc.

Hamburger Mary's makes a great burger' date=' which is all that really matters to me. I know it's a gay bar later in the evening, but the restaurant crowd is anyone and everyone.[/quote']

The women in the group needed to use the restroom so we went to Hamburger Mary's because they didn't want to use the portables at Taste of Cincinnati and when we got there, there were rainbow Miller Lite and Bud Lite neons on the window. Man I don't know how I missed those. LOL

Don't get me wrong, the food was great and I will probably visit again but a female will accompany me :lol:

Isn't Graeters Columbus based (or so the media has led me to believe)' date=' thus it isn't hometown to Cincinnati.[/quote']

Here is the history:

[history cut out]

Well then, I stand corrected. Thank you for the straight dope.

How about those Detroit Pistons, ColDayMan?

Sorry I couldn't resist...

BTW I'll be living in Yipsilanti this summer so if you ever want to venture up to Michigan let me know! Hopefully people won't be too hostile that I'm a Buckeye.

How about those Detroit Pistons' date=' ColDayMan?

Sorry I couldn't resist...

BTW I'll be living in Yipsilanti this summer so if you ever want to venture up to Michigan let me know! Hopefully people won't be too hostile that I'm a Buckeye.[/quote']

Bah to the Pistons. They'll lose regardless if it were the Pacers or Pistons. Lakers in 6.

Cincinnati food is such an icon of the city. People hear I live in Cincinnati when I am on travel and they say, "Damn, what I wouldn't do for a 3-way right now". It is pretty cool!

My 3 loves since I moved here are:

Graeters Ice Cream, Skyline Chili, and Penn Station Subs.

Penn Station Subs make the greatest Philly's I have ever had. Now I have never had a true Philly but I can't imagine it beating a Penn Station Philly.

Columbus has put out some big names in the food world too but they tend to be so national that they loose their appeal.

BTW, what the hell has ever come out of Cleveland? ;)

Alright Rich, we all know you like Gold Star better. I enjoy Gold Star too and my wife also prefers it better which is good. If everyone went to Skyline also Gold Star would go out of business. I think there is room for both but "I" prefer Skyline over Gold Star. Even the Skyline hot sauce is better.

I enjoy Gold Star too and my wife also prefers it better which is good. If everyone went to Skyline also Gold Star would go out of business. I think there is room for both but "I" prefer Skyline over Gold Star. Even the Skyline hot sauce is better.

Well said, Monte, well said! :clap: :D

I posted this in SSP...eh, guess I'll post it here too:

So, yesterday was somewhat surreal.

First, around 7:30 PM, a man was beating another man to death with a 2 x 4 two driveways down. Four cars were stopped shouting for the man to stop and threatening to call the police. Six people were in the front yard pleading for him to stop as well. Soon police from two departments showed up and broke it up. The guy who was getting beaten (well, more like bludgeoned) got up without assistance and no ambulance came.

About two hours later, I heard car horns blaring. Apparently, a couple of local thugs thought it would be a good idea to walk directly down the middle of the street. Mind you, I live on a moderately busy east-west route. Cars were stopped up and down the street while the two kids threw trash and rocks at their cars.

The topper was that a few minutes later my grandma called to tell us that my cousin will be sent to Kosovo in July to guard prisoners. The thing is, his National Guard hitch ends in a couple of months and he wasn't going to re-up. So now he's being extended for who knows how long. I guess he should have seen it coming when they promoted him a couple of weeks ago (who gets promoted when they've already said they're leaving). :(

I'm am here enjoying Chicago' date=' but I do miss my Skyline Chili... oh, well, I'll just go get some pizza instead :)[/quote']

I feel sorry for you. No Skyline or Graeters, no hills, scenery, no Bengals and your Reds are in first - HAHA

And to top it off you are living in one of the shittiest states in the country with an economy worse that Ohio with more debt too. When I moved last year, Illinois had over $4 billion in debt. - OUCH!

Hey at least Chicago is a decent city :)

I feel bad for you. There must be a paucity of places to eat in that backwater.

Let's see, if I walk a half mile or less, there are at least 5 sushi places, 3 hot dog places, a couple french places, a few thai places, a vietnamese place, a bunch of mexican burrito places, some american places, some chinese, and, of course, a McDonald's.

I'm heading out to the shore for a vacation with the family tomorrow, though, so I'm away from Chicago (and the computer) for the next week.

It said I'm Cleveland. Then again there are only 10 options' date=' and it doesn't list what the other ones are. So I have no basis for comparison.[/quote']

HAHA - The quiz sucks. It said I was Cleveland and called me BLUE COLLAR! Haha - me blue collar? Why because I prefer Draft Beer over some gay mixed drink?

I don't think it is possible to be blue collar if you don't listen to Country or Classic Rock music and I hate both!

My answers were:

1.Go to the nicest restaurants and hit the nightlife scene, bars, nightclubs, or even a play or the opera.

2. Baseball

3. Draft Beer

4. Filet Mignon, Lobster, or anything expensive

5. Blue

6. A Muscle Car

http://www.zenhex.com/quiz.php?id=12

Which Playing Card Are You?

Here are my answers. Why am I not surprised with the answer?

1. Tell them that they can win help of money from the group only by performing some embarasing task for your amusement.

2. Yell at the man to 'GET A JOB!'

3. Play along and act like you are interested just to mess with their head. Then hang up.

4. You saw it posted in someone's journal or blog.

Your Results:

The Joker

Wild, foolish, and unruly, You are the Joker!

http://www.zenhex.com/quiz.php?id=5

Guest Cincinnatus

The quiz said I was liberal and independent minded like San Francisco. Hmm??? Well I guess that's true, but it gave my score as 2 for San Francisco, 1 for New York, 1 for Boston, 1 for Cleveland and I forget which others, so I'm really a combination of cities.

yay, i'm cleveland.

it listed the options after i took it: All of the possible quiz results for this quiz:

New York (You scored 0)

Las Vegas (You scored 0)

Cleveland (You scored 3)

Washington DC (You scored 0)

San Francisco (You scored 1)

Seattle (You scored 1)

Los Angeles (You scored 0)

Memphis (You scored 0)

Boston (You scored 1)

Orlando (You scored 0)

Your Results:

New York

You're competative, you like to take it straight to the fight. You gotta have it all or die trying.

Whats up with this?????? lol

All of the possible quiz results for this quiz:New York (You scored 1)

Las Vegas (You scored 1)

Cleveland (You scored 1)

Washington DC (You scored 1)

San Francisco (You scored 1)

Seattle (You scored 1)

Los Angeles (You scored 0)

Memphis (You scored 0)

Boston (You scored 0)

Orlando (You scored 0)