Sign in to follow this  
Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Interstate 71: Developments and news

Interstate 71 in Mason area under review

Ramps could get revamped

BY STEVE KEMME | SKEMME@ENQUIRER.COM

MORE INFO: http://www.co.warren.oh.us/engineer/war/BOUmeeting_061807.pdf

IMAGE: http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Dato=20070716&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=707160385&Ref=AR&Q=80&MaxW=450&MaxH=475&Site=AB&Q=80&Border=0&Title=0

Jonett Friend learned a long time ago to avoid the Ohio 741 exit in the afternoon rush hour when driving home from work on northbound Interstate 71.

"Coming off that exit is horrendous," said Friend, of Maineville. "You might sit on the exit ramp for 10 minutes."

She usually takes the Western Row Road exit, just south of the Ohio 741 interchange, and drives on side roads to get home.

The lack of a Western Row Road exit for southbound I-71 traffic forces John Lawhead to exit at Ohio 741, Kings Mill Road, and take a longer route to his Maineville home...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/NEWS01/707160385/1056/COL02

Traffic flow problems caused by increasingly heavy volumes of traffic using these two interchanges have triggered proposals to improve them that could cost $30 million to $68 million.

I believe we had a light rail option on the ballot a view years ago that would have helped serve this area, as well as many other areas.  But it was shot down primarily because of the high cost.  Well I would like to compare apples to apples.  Highway projects are piecemeal, and costs are therefore not examined as a whole.  But look at the costs for I-75 (thru the valley, Brent Spence, etc), I-275 and I-71.  All of these projects put together have an astronomically high price tag!

We'll take the middle ground and say that this will cost $50 million or so...that's a ton of money for just two interchanges, and it's more than likely just a band-aid fix that will need more money pumped into it in the not so distant future.

That is disgusting to me.

^ "That is disgusting to me."

I agree, and you make an excellent point about road construction projects being presented to the public in a piece-meal process to disguise the total picture.

Do you think this has anything to do with the existing, entrenched, construction companies that rely on government road work for a large piece of their budgets? 

If a rail system was built, would these same companies be utilized?  Would outside companies with rail expertise be utilized?

Road construction projects remind me of the old AT&T system before the breakup (circa 1983).  At that time, the Bell companies had to put out general RFQ for each switch and switching stations.  But I remember a Bell exec telling me (actuall, the group I was with) that in reality, the Bell companies would call up ATT's construction company (Western Electric), ask what was needed for a particular type switching station, and write the RFQ along those guidelines.  The Bell company then knew that ATT would come in the least expensive and best fit.

Essentually, the local Bell planners were taking the easy way.  Ask the entrenched manufacturer what should be supplied, and write the RFQ to match it.    Government transportation infrastructure planners remind me of that.

"It all depends on when funding is available," said Kurt Weber, Warren County chief deputy engineer.

A copy of a post/reply I made on the Cincinnati Metro thread several days ago from a Warren County official, right back at you A$$hole!: 

The trustees approved the subsidy, as did the county — Mason is one city yet to address the contract renewal — but Warren County Commissioner Michael Kilburn also opposed the agreement, saying riders should pay their own way.

"Warren County government should cease funding the project immediately and let it be totally market-driven," he said. "If they need it, they can get in their jeans and pay for it."

This idiot better watch what he says.  Next time they ask for any subsidies for roads or highway improvements, I would say "let the Warren County residents pay for it".  Pretty short sighted if you ask me.

This is nothing.  Talk about road building subsidies -

Check out OKI's Southwest Warren County Transportation Study http://www.oki.org/transportation/southwestwarren.html

Its jampacked with $300 million in highway spending including a new six-lane bridge over the Little Miami River and a study of the Fields Ertel Interchange - Yes, actually fixing this clusterf*** is not included in the $300 million price tag.  Fear not there is $2.9 million for bikeway projects and $1.25 for a "low priority" bus circulator.

Check the project list and maps out at http://www.oki.org/pdf/swwcch7.pdf

Old topic, I know, but I'm seeing barrels and a lot of weird detour signs on 71 around the lateral.  Anyone know what's going on?  District 8's website is unhelpful, and it's not listed on DOTE.  I'm seeing (still covered) signs indicating a detour for *north* 71 on the southbound side until Dana, then exiting at Dana presumably to U-turn to go back north.  So exit ramp work I guess?

I was wondering myself and managed to find a reference to painting of the I&O Railroad overpass, which has been happening overnight for almost two weeks now.  I guess they've been closing some of the onramps so they can have room to work.  Sadly they're just repainting the bridge a drab gray.  The orange paint on all the surrounding road bridges is very sharp, and it still looks good after some 15 years. 

^I've seen all the stuff to do with the lateral at 75, and this seems like more than that.  I mean, why would they detour 71-N traffic onto 71 south because of a ramp closure on 75? 

Maybe the rail overpass is the answer - wait and see.

My guess about that is that they're closing the Edwards to NB I-71 ramp so they're detouring anyone from there onto SB I-71 to Dana and back north.  I think they're also closing the EB Lateral to SB I-71 ramp and detouring via Ridge. 

I was wondering myself and managed to find a reference to painting of the I&O Railroad overpass, which has been happening overnight for almost two weeks now.  I guess they've been closing some of the onramps so they can have room to work.  Sadly they're just repainting the bridge a drab gray.  The orange paint on all the surrounding road bridges is very sharp, and it still looks good after some 15 years. 

I drove by there last night and they were indeed painting the railroad bridge. Unfortunately there was a major multi-vehicle crash just north of the railroad bridge, which I assume was caused by a driver who did not see the lane closings far enough in advance.

Does anybody know much about the $88 million Jeremiah Morrow bridge replacement? From my non-engineering perspective, it appears like a massive waste of money. The project website says that the old bridge was still safe, but "needs" replacement because it cannot support trucks that weigh 120,000 lbs. What kind of truck weighs that much?! <a href="http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/Freight/sw/overview/index.htm">Federal standards have a max weight of 80,000 lbs</a>. Any truck that weighs over 80,000 lbs can either a) take a different route or b) split the load onto two trucks. This just smells like over-engineering for the sake of spending some federal/state funds on a rural area. 

http://www.omniproservices.com/jeremiah-morrow-bridge-replacement-project.html

It is rather sad how extra wasteful interstate highways get when you move from 2 lanes each way to 3.  With 2 lanes you only need a full right shoulder and a small left shoulder, but once you move to three lanes you need full right and left shoulders as well.  The modern interstate highway with three lanes each way dedicates fully 40% of its pavement to shoulders.  In the case of Jeremiah Morrow, which was 2 lanes and (essentially) no shoulders on either side, the new cross section is 150% larger than before with only a 50% increase in usable capacity.

ODOT's plan for the Ridge exit on I-71N: http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/odot-to-realign-i-71-near-ridge-road-exit-next-fall

ODOT plans to remove the northbound Ridge Road exit and extend the second-to-right lane all the way to the Red Bank Road exit. A second dedicated left-turn lane will be added at the foot of the remaining Ridge Road exit, and Ridge Road will be widened to accommodate two lanes’ worth of traffic.

Amazing how we can spend over $4 billion on interstate highways in the Cincinnati area over a period of about 10-15 years and nobody notices because it's split up into a bunch of smaller projects.

[*] I-75 Brent Spence Bridge ($2.6B)

[*] I-75 Mill Creek Expressway ($800M)

[*] I-75 Thru the Valley ($500M)

[*] I-71 MLK interchange ($80M)

[*] I-71 Ridge Road modifications (Can't find cost)

[*] I-71 Fields Ertel improvements (Can't find cost)

[*] I-71 Western Row interchange ($16M)

[*] I-71 Jeremiah Morrow Bridge replacement ($90M)

How's the traffic at Fields-Ertel now that they finished up that cloverleaf? Did it actually do anything to ease traffic at that intersection?I'm (thankfully) never up that way any more to check it out for myself.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

I don't know for sure, but it appeared it did move the backed up traffic off the highway enough that it wasn't as hazardous to everyone. But it looked like it achieved that merely by bunching up all the traffic closer to the light in more lanes.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/OHDOT/bulletins/22a353c

New Northbound Ramps at the I-71 and Western Row Road Interchange to Open

Warren County (Wednesday, Jan 23, 2019) - The two new northbound ramps for the Interstate 71 and Western Row Road interchange are expected to open around 9 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 24.

All work is contingent upon the weather.

Edited by OldBearcat

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"