zaceman

Cleveland: University Circle (General): Development and News

Yes, Byrd was a famous U.S. politician nationally. If someone wants to know something about someone a street is named after, it's extremely easy to look them up on the Web, unless they have a very common name.  Even  so, one can probably find them by plugging in a city, or whatever you think of that might narrow the options. Anyway, it might be worth more particularly when a name has been forgotten by the general public. the person was known forcsomething positive in his or her time, and maybe people should learn about that person again.

General problem with these forums: Not everyone following University Circle news is going to know there's an Upper Chester forum.  Hence the post should be in both places.

General problem with these forums: Not everyone following University Circle news is going to know there's an Upper Chester forum.  Hence the post should be in both places.

Not everyone (cough me) knew that Upper Chester was an actual place.

It's not so much a "place" as in a neighborhood, but the name of the large scale development that's planned and partially built/under construction by the Finch Group.

Plans for the Gund Building, previously owned by Cle Institute of Art, may be moving forward now. I've heard of some early design meetings taking place and Steve Litt brought it up in his article featuring the director over the weekend. What I've heard is that the museum library would be moved over to the Gund Building to open up additional gallery space and it will serve the educational needs of the museum and house a joint program between the museum and CWRU. This joint program is for the Art History department. There was talk of a subsurface tunnel that got rejected. Not sure who the consultants are on this project.

In collaboration with Case Western Reserve University, the museum will plan new facilities on 4.1 acres of land at 11141 East Blvd., directly east of its building, which the museum bought with CWRU in 2013 for $9.2 million from the Cleveland Institute of Art.

here is an article detailing that purchase and early plans. http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2013/01/the_cleveland_institute_of_art_1.html

^In addition to CMA's library, it would reallllly cool if there were some housing (apts/condos) and a cafe, a bar/tavern, a restaurant, and a few retailers (art supply store?) on that giant site as well. UC--even with CWRU--still needs a little more street-life and it certainly needs food places by the museums that people can hang out at before or after going to the museum like you can in other cities in the world (other than the food hidden INSIDE of these institutions--actually WRHS has no restaurant, not sure about Botanical Gardens; Natural History does have food--and its good).

Do the current plans call for any of this?

Plans for the Gund Building, previously owned by Cle Institute of Art, may be moving forward now. I've heard of some early design meetings taking place and Steve Litt brought it up in his article featuring the director over the weekend. What I've heard is that the museum library would be moved over to the Gund Building to open up additional gallery space and it will serve the educational needs of the museum and house a joint program between the museum and CWRU. This joint program is for the Art History department. There was talk of a subsurface tunnel that got rejected. Not sure who the consultants are on this project.

Does anyone know how many square feet the Ingalls Library currently occupies in the museum? Could we expect a significant increase in gallery space if it moved?

Edit: Answered my own question. Eyeballing it makes it look like the Ingalls Library takes up around 20,000 square feet on the second floor. So a 15% increase in gallery space solely from moving the library.

^Interesting.  Seeing more and more of this around town (Snavley project on Detroit and apartments as Pinecrest for example)...concrete and or steel base with wood framing for the upper floors.  However, first time I can recall seeing it for a building of this height.

Curious if any engineer or architect can provide some input on this form of construction, especially for Centric.

^Interesting.  Seeing more and more of this around town (Snavley project on Detroit and apartments as Pinecrest for example)...concrete and or steel base with wood framing for the upper floors.  However, first time I can recall seeing it for a building of this height.

Curious if any engineer or architect can provide some input on this form of construction, especially for Centric.

At the end of the day, wood is about $3/sf cheaper than cold-formed frame, and substantially cheaper than a steel or concrete frame. However, there are height limitations. For the low-rise buildings with only 4-6 levels of apartments, it makes sense to use wood.

Yeah, I thought there were code issues with 5-stories of wood frame over a podium like that. I guess they got around that... or maybe I'm mistaken.

I used to work at the Gund Library of the Cleveland Institute of Art, which has moved to the Uptown building.  I wonder if what had been that library could be incorporated intoto a new Ingalls Library, which it would seem would require at least the entire second floor if they are to include all the storage and offices they have now.  I wanted to see either the good 1956, Bauhaus-related building maintained, or a highrise luxury apartment tower, though when some people speculated that may be the way CWRU and the CMA may go, plans were not intact for One University Circle. That highrise for now may consume all the demand in University Circle for that sort of building.

However, I can't really see anything commercial in the CIA building.  There are plenty of restaurants right on Euclid, in fact a particularly diverse variety - from the hospital almost to the RR bridge.  And this is besides the big hub in Little Italy.  There's the coffee house-cafe on Juniper (formerly Magonolia), but it's in the former residence and have a discreet appearance from the street.  I think East Boulevard should be reserved for institutions - our "museum street," so to speak.  I know, commercial space could be incorporated into the CIA building, but it would seem there should be better uses, such as for a library and classrooms and/or studio space.

At the end of the day, wood is about $3/sf cheaper than cold-formed frame, and substantially cheaper than a steel or concrete frame. However, there are height limitations. For the low-rise buildings with only 4-6 levels of apartments, it makes sense to use wood.

Isn't Centric supposed to be eight stories? I can't see it here, but are two of the lowest levels comprised of the steel/concrete? Thus the top six floors supportable with the wood framing?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

^The most recent Centric article on Cleveland.com (from December) shows 7 floors in the renderings (5 residential over a 2-story retail/office podium)

^^btw, the new Van Aken Center is currently building a similar low/mid-rise apartment building with wood-frame construction above the base level.  As noted, Snavely is using it too on Detroit @ W. 25th.  Apparently this is a state-of-the-art technique... and as noted, it likely saves a bunch of $$ which is the bottom line.

New historical marker on Case Western Reserve campus regarding its abolistionist history.  People may not realize, but Western Reserve College was enrolling multiple African Americans pre Civil War as early as 1832 (predating even Oberlin, who tends to brag about it's own abolitionist origins in Ohio).

https://mobile.twitter.com/pashulman/status/900745952931303424

But still missing that East 105th and Euclid first traffic light Historical Marker... :/

Construction begins on the Nord Family Greenway

Dalia Zullig and Lyndsey Cole • August 25, 2017

As students move into their Residence Halls before the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, they will notice an expansive construction project underway on the west side of campus. While construction is nothing out of the ordinary for Case Western Reserve University students, this project is particularly unique.

When completed, the Nord Family Greenway will stretch from the Tinkham Veale University Center all the way to the newly renovated Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center, located along E. 105 street. This will provide a pathway for students, along with other residents of Cleveland, to walk from Uptown to Hough.

http://observer.case.edu/construction-begins-on-the-nord-family-greenway/

I don't know why this line cracked me up...  "This will provide a pathway for students, along with other residents of Cleveland, to walk from Uptown to Hough." 

I don't know why this line cracked me up...  "This will provide a pathway for students, along with other residents of Cleveland, to walk from Uptown to Hough." 

That is pretty good. And its not even from hough to Uptown or "between Hough and Uptown", rather "from Uptown TO Hough"!

Technically the Greenway crosses 105th, which means you've walked to Hough.

You can go back home and tell your friends you walked to Hough all the time. Street cred.

Technically, the Maltz is in Hough, but even though parts of Hough was still considered upscale in 1923 (it was in decline as such), I'm sure the leaders of Tifereth Israel very conscientiously wanted their new edifice to be considered a University Circle Institution and thus in a most prestigious location.

Since East 105 was just mentioned, I know I've asked before about crossings for pedestrians who will want to cross the streets that run through the Greenway, and someone here was kind enough to offer in detail various safety-related ideas that had been discussed, but what is the CURRENT plan - particularly for MLK, where the drivers typically race through?  One crosswalk with bold signage indicating a pedestrian crossing?  I can hardly picture many drivers really noticing - as they don't on quieter streets - let alone stopping.  An actual traffic light?  What about East 105th?  Now that I see the Greenway is extending over East Boulevard, how will that street be handled?  New traffic light at East Boulevard and Belflower?

Maybe Hough will be the next Hunting Valley....

Technically, the Maltz is in Hough, but even though parts of Hough was still considered upscale in 1923 (it was in decline as such), I'm sure the leaders of Tifereth Israel very conscientiously wanted their new edifice to be considered a University Circle Institution and thus in a most prestigious location.

Since East 105 was just mentioned, I know I've asked before about crossings for pedestrians who will want to cross the streets that run through the Greenway, and someone here was kind enough to offer in detail various safety-related ideas that had been discussed, but what is the CURRENT  plan - particularly for MLK, where the drivers typically race through?  One crosswalk with bold signage indicating a pedestrian crossing?  I can hardly picture many drivers really noticing - as they don't on quieter streets - let alone stopping.  An actual traffic light?  What about East 105th?  Now that I see the Greenway is extending over East Boulevard, how will that street be handled?  New traffic light at East Boulevard and Belflower?

The last I heard there were going to be two speed tables for the MLK crossing but I don't know if that is still the plan.

Maybe Hough will be the next Hunting Valley....

It's already was. It's where the private and exclusive University school, now in Hunting Valley, was once located. It was a middle- to upper-class neighborhood 100 years ago.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

they have a bunch of stuff on that list which doesn't even compare to St. Theo in Tremont.

Since East 105 was just mentioned, I know I've asked before about crossings for pedestrians who will want to cross the streets that run through the Greenway, and someone here was kind enough to offer in detail various safety-related ideas that had been discussed, but what is the CURRENT  plan - particularly for MLK, where the drivers typically race through?  One crosswalk with bold signage indicating a pedestrian crossing?  I can hardly picture many drivers really noticing - as they don't on quieter streets - let alone stopping.  An actual traffic light?  What about East 105th?  Now that I see the Greenway is extending over East Boulevard, how will that street be handled?  New traffic light at East Boulevard and Belflower?

The last I heard there were going to be two speed tables for the MLK crossing but I don't know if that is still the plan.

Just one update: The wonderful Judaica museum that had been in the former Tifereth Israel has been moved in its entirety to the synagogue's current building and the Maltz Museum next door - in Beachwood.

Just noticed in the last couple days that land has been cleared and fencing is up at Cedar & Stokes for the new CDC (Center for Dialysis Care) in UC, south of the county Medical Examiner's Office.  The signage says it will open by spring 2019.

The current CDC is located on Euclid Ave. and East 117th Street and is sitting on some pretty valuable land just west of the Circle 118 condo development and on the eastern edge of the Uptown neighborhood.  I'll be pretty interested to see what winds up there once CDC moves.

The land under the current CDC building is now controlled by UCI. I'm sure they'll be reaching out to area developers if they haven't already.

Check out NEW hours + route for the FREE public shuttle now connecting Coventry, Little Italy, Uptown & Wade Oval ? https://t.co/spFaMtn4ax

Centric may not be tall, but it is definitely a large development. It should contribute some decent ridership to the Red Line station next to it. Now we just need a couple of these at EVERY rail station... ;)

22467332_10208503223972984_9176303006734294658_o.jpg?oh=053dbfc71dbe65a54113e3650a6c6858&oe=5A4153FF

I was by Centric this past weekend and noticed they are painting gray onto the wood on the facing Uptown.  Is this just to seal it it?  (hopefully with high-quality, homegrown Sherwin-Williams paint).  I would assume this facing will not be the ultimate facade over the residences.

Hopefully the parking lot across from Centric gets developed next. It would create some nice density around the RTA station.

I would have to believe that parking lot is next.  The RE in the Uptown/LI area is sizzling hot and, even though financing new-start, multi-units in Cleveland is dicey given the area's lower rent charges, you would think an ugly parking garage sitting across the street from all this development won't last long.

As for ground floor retail, Centric's property is challenging on the Mayfield side because, heading east, the street slopes sharply as it dips under the RR/Rapid bridge.  I wonder how they'll handle this... I'm guessing there'll be a level sidewalk-like portion that will split from the main Mayfield sidewalk at the top of the embankment.