zaceman

Cleveland: University Circle (General): Development and News

holy fuck shit dear mother of god sweet jebus:

The old Rite Aid Property at Cornell in euclid finally has a tennant. Its going to be a starbucks, i could care less about who the tennant is, just the fact that the property has been sitting vacant since 1999 at a very key intersection of UC

I believe that it will have one entrance. While I am not a Starbucks fan, this will help draw people out of the megalopolis that is UHHS.  The University Circle East building needs more foot traffic. 

BTW, UCI just won a little battle with RTA.  RTA was going to take 3/4 of the sidewalk infront of Starbucks, Uptown Grill, Rascal House, etc for a turning lane on Euclid Ave for Mayfield Rd.  Fortunately, the sidewalk will be left alone.

The Hessler St. people crack me up. 

I saw an aerial map of UC that was about 25 years old.  I am amazed at the amount of surface parking that has been turned into green space or buildings. 

I was told at a meeting yesterday that University Circle is the second largest employment center in the state, behind downtown Cleveland?  Does anyone know if this is true?

They also said that Case, UH, and the Clinic are three of the top ten largest employers in the entire Northeast Ohio region. 

Considering the fact that UC has a nationally known univerity, that so many people work there, and that it's chock full of cultural insitutions, it's a no-brainer that this area should be a world-class neighborhood.  It is the cultural and intellectual capital of the region!  Plus it's close to the Lake and in close proximity to a ton of green space.  I hope these discussions bear fruit.   

Hessler Road and the West Side Market Merchants Association...two "institutions" that are resisting development for reasons that make no sense!  Why do they fight like mad to keep surface parking lots on adjacent land when it is so clear that additional housing and retail would only serve to make their lives better?!  I know they'd argue this point to the death, but I stand by it!

Hessler residents were given permission to park on the beach a while ago.  They don't want to lose their parking.  Someone said "if you build on the beach, the Hessler residents will lay down infront of the bulldozers."  I say all the better!

You know, there's an easier solution to all of this -- start encouraging friends of yours (or, more specifically, friends of developing the Euclid/Ford corner) to move onto Hessler and change the consensus. It's a nice street. Market it to more open-minded people!

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

but UCI does have a reputation as being bad property owners (i.e. demolition), from the local residents, whether its true or not, you ask some of long time UC residents, and they really dislike UCI

[/broad generalization]

And really i think hessler only has a handful of the left over hippies. For the most part, its all rental housing for students.

I would never live on Hessler... it's too close to that big parking lot at Ford & Euclid!

Now, if someone were to build a nice set of buildings there and fix up the shopping center across the street and give me a reason to walk around the corner to buy a coffee or a book or just stroll and people watch...I'd probably want to live there!

^Hmmm...I guess I never responded to that...of course I was being sarcastic!  I was basically being a smart-ass and saying that I'd much rather live next door to a thriving retail street than a parking lot.  This is something that some very vocal people in the neighborhood disagree with me on...

And in other news, as all of our attention has shifted to the intersection of Ford & Euclid, the big construction that's happening right now is going unnoticed!  Of course we all know that CMA is expanding and that their doors will be closing for 6 months (starting tomorrow!), but what about the Cleveland Institute of Music's project?

The last I heard about it was a murmur on here some pages back, but while visiting CMA and walking around beautiful Wade Oval yesterday, I came across the site and found that it's moving along quite well!  Alas, I did not have my camera with me, but trust that it is taking shape. 

CMA's construction is much more noticeable, as it wraps around two sides of the building.  Unfortunately, construction will last well into 2010, if not beyond.  It will be exciting to watch it get vertical, but a shame to lose full access to the museum for such a long period of time.  I'm sure it will be well worth the wait, though!

Anyone seen this blog entry yet?  It was posted on the Cuyahoga County Weblog and is a pretty extensive view at what looks like an updated Case master plan:

http://darthvadermeditations.blogspot.com/2006/01/early-action.html

ps: there's tons of free stuff going on down at UC today for MLK Day!  If you've got nothing to do, check it out! 

http://universitycircle.org/NEWS/MLKday.htm

The blog is interesting.  I don't believe that the masterplan is confidential anymore. Some things have already changed since it was published.

Case is in a strange position.  Financially, they have had to cut a lot this year.  Conversely, they have a large endowment that really helps.  Hundert has made good and interesting changes, but he is also not well-liked in some circles.  Also, the new dorms have really added life to that part of campus.  The redevelopment of the Triangle could also be a huge improvement and add a lot of life to a vital intersection. However, there is word that the project's leader just doesn't completely understand how to build good urban spaces. 

This is sad news for me, as I've come to know a few of the great staff members at the museum.  It seems like they never were really able to regain steam after their renovation.  However, it will be interesting to see what the Clinic does with the space.  It seems to me that they certainly have the wherewithall to keep it open as an outreach/health education center, since it's kinda their niche!

Cleveland Clinic snaps up HealthSpace museum

4:30 p.m.

Grant Segall

Plain Dealer Reporter

The ever-growing Cleveland Clinic is snapping up the adjoining campus of HealthSpace Cleveland, including a museum space barely two years old. HealthSpace leaders said Thursday that the building, $33 million and 81,000 square feet, was a great idea at a rotten time, foiled by a stagnant economy and soaring fuel costs. But leaders say the museum's outreach programs are thriving. They hope to maintain some sort of visitor center, but aren't sure where or for how long. The Clinic has yet to announce its plans for the museum.

HealthSpace moving out of neighborhood

Clinic buying museum's land, buildings

Friday, January 27, 2006

Grant Segall

Plain Dealer Reporter

HealthSpace Cleveland is trying to recover its health by selling its space.

The ever-growing Cleveland Clinic plans to swallow the adjoining HealthSpace's 3.5 acres and its three buildings, including a $33 million showplace barely 2 years old, leaders of both organizations said Thursday.

Healthspace sent out an email today saying that they are not closing (as of yet).  They simply say that they are selling the building to the Clinic. 

My take is that the Clinic will allow them to operate as long as the Clinic doesn't want to use the space.  Its a strange block. The musuem is next to a beautiful mansion. Would the Clinic level the mansion so that it could build on the land??? 

The Clinic also has recently extended offers to buy the land where the churches are located, just east on Euclid of the new cancer center.  In one respect, it is a very good sign that our largest employer is trying to get as many land as it can.  Let's just hope that they have learned from their very recent architectural mistakes. 

I heard that the Clinic's Taussig cancer center is bursting at the seems and that they may move the admin stuff into the healthspace space. 

Case's Master Plan has been posted on their website.

Here is the url:

http://www.case.edu/webdev/mplan/

Perhaps this deserves it's own topic.  Wow.  If Case manages to carry through with all of those plans, it will dramatically change the look and feel of the campus, mostly in a good way.  I encourage everyone to take a look.

Nice to hear positive news about UC development amidst all the uncertainty within CWRU.  I do believe that these projects should have their own legs, but I also understand why there is trepidation at the moment.

That's the only part of Cleveland-proper that RTA GM Joe Calabrese was willing to concede has a robust economy.

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

I'm sure this has been asked and answered countless times, but is RTA still considering moving/adding to their existing UC stops?

Definitely. There is money waiting in the bank for each station.  Look for the E.120 to move to Mayfield if the Triangle plans dictate that it would be a good idea (everyone agrees, save a few Little Italy residents).  The Cedar station is waiting for the MLK Corridor study to conclude before it begins a design phase.

I'm wondering if the 120th Street Station is such a bad thing with development moving down that way...  I still like the idea of the mayfield Station, but then what happens to the 120th St. Station? Closed?

I thought the plan was to move the Euclid/East 120th station to a point that's midway between Euclid and Mayfield (with pedestrian access to both)? Has this changed?

The last time I spoke with Calabrese (almost a month ago), I thought he said RTA will be designing the new University Circle station later this year.

^Hadn't heard of the MLK Corridor Study (but that's not saying much - you guys are far more plugged in than I am).  What's it supposed to study and to what end?

I think the dumpy buildings have to do with the fact that

1) ECP is being built, and nobody along euclid wants to move in/renovate till its done.

2)The realy low rise dumpy building accross from csu, contains a gyro shop, is slated for demolition at an undetermined point in the future for a pedestrian corridor

3)Alot of buildings is owned by brothers printing. Instead of consolidating in one building they are spread out between 3 bottom floors of buildings, upper storeies of some of the buildings, and used to lease one of them to goodwill. They pretty well block out diversity along there, as well as off campus/downtown housing.

4) Students really dont't live or stay on campus, so there really hasn't been a push for development to cater to that demographic

Case Western Reserve University Hospitals of Cleveland, quite a mouthful.

Would that alienate the Clinic and Lerner's $100million school at Case?

^Punch, the article says the name would be Case University Hospitals of Cleveland, Western Reserve was not included. 

I wondered about how the Clinic would feel about that as well.  I also wonder how Western Reserve alums feel about Case moving toward dropping them from the name altogether.  I think it's a good idea, if they can get substantial buy-in from the remaining Western Reserve grads, Case is a lot easier to brand than Case Western Reserve.