• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zaceman

Cleveland: University Circle (General): Development and News

I've heard from someone with the builders of One University Circle not to be surprised to see an even taller building announced for Uptown by 2020.

Uptown? Do you mean the Euclid-105 area or more toward MRN's Uptown development?

I oft conflate Uptown and UC. And from the limited amount I've heard, it would also be near MLK and Euclid.

I do know the builders and their investors are unbelievably pleased (perhaps prematurely) with 1UC and want more.

I oft conflate Uptown and UC. And from the limited amount I've heard, it would also be near MLK and Euclid.

I do know the builders and their investors are unbelievably pleased (perhaps prematurely) with 1UC and want more.

Well, I seem to recall that when 1UC was proposed, especially after it was scaled down from 28 stories to 20, there was talk of a second phase.

^You know more than me re: it having been scaled back. I really don't know much else, other than the builders itching for more.

^You know more than me re: it having been scaled back. I really don't know much else, other than the builders itching for more.

I just want this potential new development to have some ground floor activity for the public. UC while beautiful has dead zones spread throughout.

Here ya go, YABO713[/member]. This would be at the corner of Euclid and Stokes. Seems it would block views of downtown from phase one.....

And they aren't in a rush to tackle phase two, northwest of the tower.

First Interstate and Petros Development Corp. have just under an acre left to play with on the site, which they control through a long-term land lease with nonprofit neighborhood group University Circle, Inc. They're talking about more residential construction - including, possibly, condominiums - and exploring whether it makes sense to put offices on the lower floors of a second building.

"We're just not there yet," Mitchell Schneider said. He hopes to figure out the make-up of the next project next year, with the goal of breaking ground in 2019.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/10/one_university_circle_apartmen.html

It is finished.

Collaboration creates connection as Nord Family Greenway opens

JUNE 1, 2018 UNIVERSITY NEWS

Hundreds gathered Thursday evening to dedicate the Nord Family Greenway, a 2,200-foot-long expanse that exemplifies the accomplishments possible when organizations collaborate toward a common goal.

Begun years ago as a project to ease pedestrian transit between Case Western Reserve University’s main and west campuses, the 15-acre commons today offers open-air spaces suited to performances, picnics and even quiet contemplation.

Most of all, it is a permanent, living invitation to those beyond University Circle to explore not only the greenway itself, but the dozens of arts and cultural institutions that fill the roughly square-mile district.

“This project is not only useful and beautiful, but it also advances the guiding principle of the Greater University Circle Initiative: to connect residents from neighborhoods including Upper Chester and Hough to the cultural, economic, and educational opportunities in University Circle,” Cleveland Foundation President and CEO Ronn Richard said, adding that it also will “allow University Circle institutions and employees to benefit from the wisdom, gifts, and energy of their neighbors.”

http://thedaily.case.edu/collaboration-creates-connection-nord-family-greenway-opens/

Nicely done.  I just have one question regarding th northern path. Why does it not continue in a straight line all the way to the student center building.  The path curves towards CMA?  IMO I would have carried the path in the straight line.

It's hard to tell from the video, but I believe the southern path is the one that curves towards CMA and the northern path does continue straight.  I could be wrong, though.

It's hard to tell from the video, but I believe the southern path is the one that curves towards CMA and the northern path does continue straight.  I could be wrong, though.

Yes. The southern path in front of CMA curves towards the museum. I meant the northern path, across the street, near  CWRU's  student center.

Ah, I see what you mean.  That is strange.  Looks like they didn't want to create another crosswalk across East Blvd.

I bet people wear a path straight across and jaywalk until they're forced to just put the path straight through there.  That's how new sidewalks always seemed to get created on campus when I was there.

Screenshot_20180602-214818.thumb.png.c6316cb882a7df455ffc02ed9b99273d.png

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/06/so-il_kurtz_wins_competition_t.html

SO-IL + Kurtz wins competition to design Martin Luther King Jr. branch for Cleveland Public Library

Updated 3:07 PM; Posted 3:07 PM

5-6 minutes

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Cleveland Public Library's board of trustees voted Friday to rank the design team of New York-based SO-IL with Jonathan Kurtz of Cleveland as top among three contenders to design the new $10 million Martin Luther King Jr. Branch in University Circle.

The vote authorized the board to negotiate fees and additional development of a design with SO-Il and Kurtz.

If negotiations fail, the library would then negotiate with the second-ranked team, Bialosky Architects of Cleveland with Vines Architecture of Raleigh, North Carolina, and if that failed, with the third-ranked team, MASS Design Group of Boston, with LDA Architects, of Cleveland.

That's cool. But what I really want to know is who is going to design the apartment building atop the library?

It would make sense if it was the same designer, but I would imagine that will be up to the developer, not the Cleveland Public Library.

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/06/so-il_kurtz_wins_competition_t.html

SO-IL + Kurtz wins competition to design Martin Luther King Jr. branch for Cleveland Public Library

Updated 3:07 PM; Posted 3:07 PM

5-6 minutes

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Cleveland Public Library's board of trustees voted Friday to rank the design team of New York-based SO-IL with Jonathan Kurtz of Cleveland as top among three contenders to design the new $10 million Martin Luther King Jr. Branch in University Circle.

The vote authorized the board to negotiate fees and additional development of a design with SO-Il and Kurtz.

If negotiations fail, the library would then negotiate with the second-ranked team, Bialosky Architects of Cleveland with Vines Architecture of Raleigh, North Carolina, and if that failed, with the third-ranked team, MASS Design Group of Boston, with LDA Architects, of Cleveland.

I'm happy with this pick as it was my favorite of the three.

It was probably the safest pick but the other two had more striking designs. Maybe they figured this would age better.

Well, Mass/LDA's design was the most popular, but since they decided there artistic vision was more important than meeting the requirements the client set they didn't win.

FWIW, the developer here is including a substantial affordable component in the overall plan for this block: the renovation of Fenway Manor.

What does the “demolition” portion mean exactly?

I loved the charm of the Barking Spider. The place was tiny with doors that opened to the patio during summers and that little wood burning stove in the winter. I'll always miss it. I was holding out hope that someday Jenna, (the previous proprietor) would come back after her child got a little older. I feel like Dave will respect the history but might be too ambitious for my taste. In all honesty though, anything more than a clean up will be too ambitious.

Agree, I'm concerned that much of the charm will be removed from the place. I'm guessing some of the "demolition" has to do with code requirements for food service.

Demolition of the old CIA dorms on Bellflower (across the street from CWRU's student center) has begun.

Is the site plan still TBD?  I can't remember (or find) if any permanent plans were announced.

Case 18-044

Cleveland History Center

Western Reserve Historical Society

10825 East Boulevard

Landscape Master Plan and Phase 2 Improvements

Ward 9

Conwell

Christian Lynn

Sonia Jakse-Barone

Aecom

Here's a few of the graphics from....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2018/07122018/index.php

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_03.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_04.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_06.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_07.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_08.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_11.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_13.jpg

I missed this posting.  Does anybody know if money is in hand to do this work?  That area could use a major touching up.

Let's keep the thread on the topic at hand - want to go on a tangent, you are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate section.

uoaxe2018.jpg?format=400w

The Barking Spider Will Bark Again With New Ownership

AUTHOR

Dan Polletta

PUBLISHED August 30, 2018

September 18, 2016, was a sad day for many Northeast Ohio music fans as the Barking Spider Tavern closed its doors after 30 years of presenting acoustic music of all kinds on the Case Western Reserve University campus.

However, music will soon return to the space.

http://wcpn.ideastream.org/news/the-barking-spider-will-bark-again-with-new-ownership

They should flip that design 180 and save the mansion.

Agreed. They had a bunch of alternative site plans showing the mansion and student housing could coexist. What's the point of all that surface parking for student housing?

Proposed:

Cleveland_Institute_of_Music_IMG_18.jpg

Alternatives (there are several others):

Cleveland_Institute_of_Music_IMG_12.jpg

Cleveland_Institute_of_Music_IMG_13.jpg

I like option 5, except add a floor and remove the wing that crowds up against the historic mansion. And keep the friggin' mansion!

On 9/25/2018 at 2:04 PM, X said:

They should flip that design 180 and save the mansion.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, KJP said:

I like option 5, except add a floor and remove the wing that crowds up against the historic mansion. And keep the friggin' mansion!

On 9/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, KJP said:

On 10/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, KJP said:

Delete

So what happened, please?  I’d sure hate to see another original Wade Park Allotment house go!  Loss of the still finer house for the Alumni House addition was shameful enough - even if a twin, in reverse, still stands on East 108th.  The demolished house was NOT in a Cleveland Historic District....  So, again, what gives?

On 7/10/2018 at 2:15 PM, KJP said:

Case 18-044

Cleveland History Center

Western Reserve Historical Society

10825 East Boulevard

Landscape Master Plan and Phase 2 Improvements

Ward 9

Conwell

Christian Lynn

Sonia Jakse-Barone

Aecom

Here's a few of the graphics from....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2018/07122018/index.php

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_03.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_04.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_06.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_07.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_08.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_11.jpg

Cleveland_History_Center_IMG_13.jpg

This had better be all after the stucco-and-bricks walks on bear Ford Drive are restored or rrplicated.  They look HORRIBLE - molyo emvarradibg for this institution!

On 8/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, Down_with_Ctown said:

Demolition of the old CIA dorms on Bellflower (across the street from CWRU's student center) has begun.

No - this was the whole CIA canpus from 1956 - not the dorms!

Edited by lafont

On 8/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, Down_with_Ctown said:

No - this was the whole CIA canpus from 1956 - not the dorms!

Does anyone know if construction of the latest Univ Cir. park - the one to go between the West Wing and MLK - has begun?  Or is all the work and machinery related to more sewer/waterline work?

Edited by lafont