zaceman

Cleveland: University Circle (General): Development and News

Cool Cleveland Interview: Terri Hamilton Brown

A University Circle resident, Terri Hamilton Brown is president of University Circle Inc., a nonprofit organization that manages development, police protection and parking. It also banks land for future development within the one-square mile that houses Cleveland Museum of Art, Case Western Reserve University and Severance Hall. University Circle, Inc. has recently completed the Wade Oval renovations in just one year, and now is hosting a series of free events called Third Thursdays, featuring music, food and area vendors. This week, Third Thursdays takes place on Thu 8/19, featuring Doug Wood on progressive acoustic guitar from 11:30AM to 1:30PM, and Anne E. DeChant, playing folk, rock and jazz on the new Kulas Stage from 5-7PM. For more information, see http://www.universitycircle.org

You've lived in this neighborhood for about 5 years. How has life changed in the University Circle area over the time you’ve been living here?

Lots of development. And it actually feels like there’s a little more to do, that there are more people coming out. We’ve added a few new restaurants on Euclid, so there are more people out and about.

What hasn’t changed?

There's been a few things, like at 105th Street, there could be more development. There are non-profits around here that are our partners; Famicos Foundation [a nonprofit community housing development] is working on development, but that’s happening slowly. The surrounding neighborhoods have not picked up the pace as it has in the Circle. So we’ve started convening a meeting of the surrounding non-profits, and we’ll be working on some joint projects with them.

Is this the collaborative project you're working on for Peter Lewis that we've been hearing about?

Very separate. We started working on this before; Peter Lewis' involves the institutions within the Circle. But I’m talking about working with our neighbors in the surrounding community; I got that from my other jobs, that the relationships will help us build bridges and to partner with the other communities.

What can you tell us about the planned collaboration between Case and the rest of University Circle that you'll propose for funding to Peter Lewis?

That we’re working together; we’ve not been talking about it publicly, but some wonderful ideas are coming forth.

What is the potential for University Circle?

Unlimited. Our vision is to be the premiere urban district.

In Cleveland?

No, it's unlimited.

In the world?

You got it. We’re making investments, and executing plans to revitalize the Circle.

I dont know why, but i still feel skeptical of the concept of U Circle being a national destination in and of itself.  But with the way things are going and all.  (about $1 billion in projects)

I really hope those two new apartment buildings they're planning to build will be something interesting.  like this http://www.ptutt.de/architectour/architecpics/gehry/GEHRY-DDORF-02.JPG

even if its a Gehry overdose lol just something distinctive.

And also they need to have an ice skating rink on Wade Lagoon damnit

Zaceman,

Do you (or anyone else) have any graphics of the proposed development at Ford and Euclid? I'm also looking for graphics of the proposed TOD at Mayfield next to the proposed, relocated Rapid station.

Regards,

KJP

KJP, if I recall correctly, there was a rendering in one of Corwin Thomas' columns in the PD for the Euclid/Ford project. It was approx. 12-14 stories high with what looked to be a brick-like facade with a cylindrical corner 'tower' of glass as an accent on the southeasternmost point. Darned if I can remember when it was printed, though - I'll do some digging.

^ yea i saw that rendering in the paper. however it isnt final, i heard they want "more" with those towers.

i havent heard about the TOD at mayfield, but that definately sounds interesting

This has actually been going on for several years now, but heres some more projects underway if not already started. They even include three 10 story apartment buildings:

"<ahttp://www.cleveland.com/universitycircleguide/wide/boom.jpg">

Yep, I can say the same thing for Kent State. Ah well...

I'm really impressed with the plans for the apartments/retail on Euclid - I know the folks on Hessler aren't happy with it but I hope the project goes through.

Seems that there is more money going into construction in University Circle than there is going into Downtown.  Lets post some pictures of the completed, future, and ongoing construction projects and improvements in and around University Circle.  Big and small projects are all welcomed.

I'll start it off with links to three major projects. 

Phase 1 of the New north side Residential village at Case Western Reserve University (under construction)

http://studentaffairs.case.edu/living/construction/default.html     

---> the video link is at the right side of the page

The Cleveland Clinic Heart Center (you'll need flash to see this)

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/giving/?firstCat=59&secondCat=555

The newly acquired CWRU west quad -nearly all new construction here

http://www.cwru.edu/pubs/cnews/2002/9-12/westquad.htm

Also, I have a list of all the University Circle projects somewhere, but not in digital format.  If I find it, I will type up the list.

case's new dorms were "inspired" by hopkins dorms which are situatied around a football field (some credit is also given to carolls')

anywho, the new dorms are sh!ts and giggles better than the old ones which were a series of 16 bulidins each with a 140 max occupancy, all disconnected from eachother......

OK everyone, here is that list of all University Circle construction I said I had.

Actually, this list still doesn't include the UCI renovation of the old Commodore and whatever they are planning with The Triangle, either.

Note: edited to include picture instead of poorly formatted text

how does the case campus center come in more than the ford euclid development? (50 vs 35 mil)

last i heard ford-euclid was at least ten stories and that's not a small property

looking at the current site of thwing center, it would have to be say 22 stories.........unless ghery is behind this........

Ford Euclid is three buildings.  One is 11 stories.  The other are only 8, I think.  Residential construction tends to be less expensive than institutional construction.  Campus Center will probably have state of the art this and that, signature architectural features, and more heavy-duty fixtures and mechanicals, all of which is what's driving up the cost.

PS- one other thing that I thought of that isn't on that list is the new Mandell School of Nonprofit Management.  Its not huge, but it counts.

x,

wait a new msass school of mgmt? I haven't heard anything........if the need be, i know the dean of msass.......

or is the new school completely separate from msass?

Good point, but you'd be surprised to see how much you can squeeze onto a small space (hampton in downtown).  It'll be really interesting to see what happens to the FIJI house though, considering they recently lost their charter.  CWRU would have to cut a deal with their house corporation though, b/c CWRU does not own either the property or the house itself.

KJP- the design sucks, true.  And it is squat, but it is still huge- over 500,000 sq ft, and will basically be a tech palace inside.  So, the price doesn't surprise me.

Pope- The new Mandel School isn't going to be very big from what I've heard.  I don't remember square footage, but I remember it was (only) a few million dollars worth of construction.  That gets Case what- a quonset hut?

Does anyone know what Case is currently building on the West Quad, on E. 101st?  It isn't in the West Quad renderings I've seen.

anywho, the new dorks are shits and giggles better than the old ones which were a series of 16 bulidins each with a 140 max occupancy, all disconnected from eachother......

New dorks same as the old dorks . . . .

Looking at this, I am reminded of my tour in which the grand plan of burying Euclid Avenue and having a greensward from southside to northside.

Looks like top o' the hill dorms (Kusch! Head for the Mountains) will fall further behind.  Sigh.

birdman,

last i heard is that eventually the top of the hill will be converted (either re-use or re-build) into grad housing. Basically making north side for undergrads and the south side for grads.

As for a time frame, i would expect some details as the north residential village is wrapping up (once again occupancy in the fall of '05)

Some of it has changed since then.  The West Quad and North Residential Quad are quiet a bit different.

Some old pics for those who have yet to see them.

Here's the original plan Case had for the new Student Center.  I think now they're just gonna tear the whole thing down.  Can't say I agree with that, since the east section of thwing center is so historic.  They should at least save the outside and gut the inside except for the main hall.

place21.jpg

place12a.jpg

Here's the original plan for moving the west portion of Thwing Center down the street and making an alumni center out of it.

place10a.jpg

And perhaps another good idea- to frame the rockefeller building with two others, thereby creating two separate quads out of the main case quad

place14a.jpg

Anyone else as happy as me with the plans for turning baker building into an entry point to the campus. :clap:

The auditorium left something to be desired but the basement classrooms were fun during summer session.

oallostavros-Maybe Case will decide to move both halves of the Thwing Center?  They are not just nice on the outside.  The ballroom is spectacular.  I've been to a few events there, and people always ooh and ahh about it.  It would be a shame to lose something so impressive and well liked.

The building under construction on the west quad is probably the upper leftmost building in the second rendering.

X, I agree, and that was their original plan, but last I heard, they were planning to demolish it altogether and build anew.

Here is a rendering and current pic of the building going up at Mount Sinai.  It will actually house the Cleveland Center for Structural Biology and another group as well.

ClevelandCenterforStructuralBiologyandthePPO.jpg

CCSB.bmp