zaceman

Cleveland: University Circle (General): Development and Construction

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/08/cwru-nears-construction-kickoff-this-fall-for-maltz-performing-arts-center-expansion.html

CWRU nears construction kickoff this fall for Maltz Performing Arts Center expansion

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Case Western Reserve University passed an important hurdle Thursday toward starting construction this fall on a long-planned expansion of the Maltz Performing Arts Center at the Temple-Tifereth Israel in University Circle.

On Thursday, the city’s Euclid Corridor Design Review Committee voted to approve final plans for the project. The vote constitutes a recommendation for approval by the city’s planning commission, which will review the project Friday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A re-installation...this time at a new location:

East Bell Park, which occupies the old site of the Cleveland Institute of Art at 11141 East Blvd.

’Turning Point’ sculptures ready to turn heads once again at CWRU

Updated 6:40 AM; Today 5:00 AM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The “Turning Point” sculptures created by the celebrated American architect and Cleveland native Philip Johnson are being reinstalled at the John and Mildred Putnam Sculpture Collection at Case Western Reserve University.

In their new location, the sculptures will become part of the new East Bell Park, a 4.2-acre property on the site of the former Cleveland Institute of Art Gund Building at East Boulevard and Bellflower Road in University Circle. CWRU and the Cleveland Museum of Art purchased the propertyand jointly own it.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/08/turning-point-sculptures-ready-to-turn-heads-once-again-at-cwru.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Sigh, I liked that building.  Would have made a great CWRU Art Dept. and CMA art restoration facility connected underground to the CMA.

The Dude's voice : Well, that's like your, uhh, opinion, man...."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There was the plan for the whole CMA library to be moved to that building. The last i heard is the plan for a new building, whenever that takes shape, will involve art (and art history?) classes - likely a joint program between CWRU and CIA.  Of course, they already had a substantial facility that could have been accommodated for that.  I kind of liked the idea of another highrise apartment tower going up there; it doesn't have to take up a lot of the property.  Anyway, for right now I'm very glad to see the Johnson sculptures back in such a public place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Board of Zoning Appeals

SEPTEMBER 23, 2019

9:30 Calendar No. 19-198:

10617 Cedar Avenue

Ward 6 Blaine A. Griffin 6 Notices

10617 Cedar LLC., owner, proposes to establish use of existing building and parking lot for ambulance service office and storage of ambulance vehicles in a C2 Local Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances: 1. Section 343.01 which states that "ambulance service offices and storage of ambulance vehicles" is not permitted in a Local Retail Business District. 2. Section 352.07(b)(2)(A) which states that determination of the Board of Zoning Appeals is required for a continuation of non-conforming landscaping; a six foot wide landscaped frontage strip is required where parking lot abuts East 107th Street and Cedar Avenue and no landscaping is provided. 3. Section 349.04(g) which states that parking is required at the rate of one per 500 square feet. Applicant must distinguish dedicated required spaces for employees and ambulance parking at Board of Zoning Appeals hearing.(Filed August 7, 2019/Building and Housing Revised August 30, 2019).

10617 Cedar Ave.JPG

• Sad 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

maltz performing arts center construction....   basically across the street, signet development at hough and ansel....

IMG_20190928_145220.jpg

IMG_20190928_145337.jpg

Edited by lockdog
added another pic...
  • Like 5

Wow, Signet isn't wasting any time. Perhaps it's just me, but for those developers who don't announce projects until they have their financing in place, they seem to be getting their shovels in the ground a lot quicker than they used to.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lockdog said:

maltz performing arts center construction....   basically across the street, signet development at hough and ansel....

IMG_20190928_145220.jpg

IMG_20190928_145337.jpg

Beat me to it- the development on Mt. Sinai is going up quickly.  

Thanks for the pic!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pugu said:

Great to see more density rebuilding Hough after so many years. Is going in on the SE or SW corner?

The SW corner!

• Thanks 1

The Hope Lodge at 11432 Mayfield Rd will possibly be expanding soon if the city approves their recently submitted permit. The lodge (which provides housing for cancer patients) has been raising funds to add new common space and an additional 11 new suites to their already existing 31.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/support-programs-and-services/patient-lodging/hope-lodge/cleveland/help-fund-improvements.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tykaps said:

The Hough and Ansel development is live online for early leasing. It's been dubbed The Axis at Ansel. I'm optimistic that this will fill up since multiple departments at CWRU are going to be moved to Maltz which is just down the street.

https://www.apartments.com/axis-at-ansel-cleveland-oh/bn19l6c/

Ansel Road once had a row of rather upscale apr. bldgs.; some still stand, fortunately.

• Like 2

This project is in the gray area between Upper Chester and the UC3/Circle Square developments. And what parking garage are they demolishing? And why?

CLEVELAND SITE CENTER GARAGE DEMOLITION, NEW GARAGE AND SITE IMPROVEMENTS

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Euclid Corridor Case #  EC 2019-051

Address:1909 E 101st Street

Company:Cleveland Sight Center

Architect:Plarren (demolition) / Platinum Construction (garage)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3334&CASE=EC 2019-051

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJP said:

This project is in the gray area between Upper Chester and the UC3/Circle Square developments. And what parking garage are they demolishing? And why?

CLEVELAND SITE CENTER GARAGE DEMOLITION, NEW GARAGE AND SITE IMPROVEMENTS

Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Euclid Corridor Case #  EC 2019-051

Address:1909 E 101st Street

Company:Cleveland Sight Center

Architect:Plarren (demolition) / Platinum Construction (garage)

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3334&CASE=EC 2019-051

If you check this building in street view, it seems to have a car sized door facing E. 105th. Maybe this?

image.thumb.png.3624036471ec26877c5b45198de5c253.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5065626,-81.6152802,3a,16.2y,273.62h,89.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2JGqr2Dgg3QdIROJc5eOJQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Zoning approval was given for the conversion of 11203 Stokes (was Cleveland Clinic Fairhill) to residential and today, a building permit was submitted for the 49.6k sq ft facility itself to be turned into apartments. Still waiting on the townhouses.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, tykaps said:

Zoning approval was given for the conversion of 11203 Stokes (was Cleveland Clinic Fairhill) to residential and today, a building permit was submitted for the 49.6k sq ft facility itself to be turned into apartments. Still waiting on the townhouses.

This is such a random and out of the way building, for it to be turned into apartments shows how hot the residential sector of University Circle is. I love it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, scg80 said:

There's a number of them north of Hough, closer to Wade Park.

They were mainly from Edmunds north to Wade Park avenues.

Edited by lafont

I had no idea about those apartments. Some of them can definitely use some work, and I hope they get it before they are too far gone, but some of them look (at least from streetview) to be in fantastic shape. Devon House in particular, just south of Kenmore, is gorgeous and looks straight out of Shaker.

I decided to add up how many new housing units there were from building permits in 44106 for the year. This doesn't mean buildings completed in 2019 (Centric) or places without building permits for construction filed yet (library lofts, E 90). Just based off of permits in the calendar year.

My count (probably off by a couple) was 501 new units (part renovation part new construction). In a zip code with 13,514 units based on the last count, this would mark a 3.71% increase in one year. And things only seen to be accelerating for the future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

East 30th through East 105th used to be densely populated with single-family homes, duplexes, apartments and row-houses, with retail/mixed use on the Avenues and major cross-streets. That stock has been mostly depleted and eliminated, so any development that adds density to that large urban oasis is fantastic news.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tykaps said:

I decided to add up how many new housing units there were from building permits in 44106 for the year. This doesn't mean buildings completed in 2019 (Centric) or places without building permits for construction filed yet (library lofts, E 90). Just based off of permits in the calendar year.

My count (probably off by a couple) was 501 new units (part renovation part new construction). In a zip code with 13,514 units based on the last count, this would mark a 3.71% increase in one year. And things only seen to be accelerating for the future.

Oh and I'm an idiot so I forgot part of 44106 is in Cleveland Heights. I can't find exact data for the Cleveland heights portion but based on census tracts and population density it makes up what I'm approximating to be 4,000 households. Once readjusted for this the increase in households for the Cleveland portion of 44106 comes out to ~5.26%.

I think I'll see about doing this for some other CLE zip codes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I no longer have easy access to population and housing stats, but I do remember that the boundary for 44106 is Coventry Road.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tykaps said:

Oh and I'm an idiot so I forgot part of 44106 is in Cleveland Heights. I can't find exact data for the Cleveland heights portion but based on census tracts and population density it makes up what I'm approximating to be 4,000 households. Once readjusted for this the increase in households for the Cleveland portion of 44106 comes out to ~5.26%.

I think I'll see about doing this for some other CLE zip codes

Library Lofts will be between East 105th and East 107th.

2 minutes ago, lafont said:

Library Lofts will be between East 105th and East 107th.

Which would put them in 44106. Didn't include them in the count because no construction permit has been filed yet.

Very nice. The other day when I went by the current structure was well into being demolished. That intersection is quite busy and noisy though. I just hope they do some quality construction or those folks along Stokes will need to invest in some white noise machines. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

Very nice. The other day when I went by the current structure was well into being demolished. That intersection is quite busy and noisy though. I just hope they do some quality construction or those folks along Stokes will need to invest in some white noise machines. 

I got a picture of the demo today. Exciting to see!

ABDAD57B-F8B7-4D47-96DC-8489CA32CB2A.thumb.jpeg.627dabd14fd4999ad1d04cf3d428ac6f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tykaps said:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=3391&CASE=EC 2019-063

Design review case for the Hope Lodge expansion to make 11 new suites and expand other facilities.

I'll be interested to see how they plan to do this.

The old Cleveland Fire Department station at Chester and 107th is about 80 percent demolished.

Just happened to be in the neighborhood; had no idea this demo was going on.  Maybe a good sign UC3 is on track? (This site is directly north of the existing CPL library branch.

C81C4414-D750-46B5-BB7C-8A3A7D9C9BB2.jpeg

FE549716-D9BA-4351-B607-8F13E3761377.jpeg

316A2577-F442-4A16-A34E-1E43D7B261D9.jpeg

• Like 5