Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Last Don

In The World: Iran

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

Qasem Soleimani was the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, which is a U.S.-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.  Further, it took place in Iraq, where he has no official business as an Iranian commander; he had only one reason to be there - to orchestrate terrorist attacks on the US and allies in Iraq. Taking him out in Iraq was absolutely pivotal in that it erases all doubt that Iran is behind the recent attacks on US bases and the embassy. He was essentially caught blown to smithereens with his pants down.

 

 

So his presence in Iraq was justification enough for blowing him to smithereens? What?

 

I'm obviously not accepting that insane premise, but even if that were the case, what authority does the US have to assassinate him? Iraq is not our country nor is it a vassal state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAGuy39 said:

 

Not trying to get in the middle of anything but my question to you would be, what would you do or what would Obama do knowing that most likely this man and country was plotting to and already had committed terrorism against USA civilians and allies?

 

I am not saying you are wrong in any way I would just like to hear what you would do in this situation if indeed it was true that Iran and this man were planning a coup of Iraq?

 

Who said anything about a coup?

Edited by X
insert original quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

Qasem Soleimani was the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, which is a U.S.-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.  Further, it took place in Iraq, where he has no official business as an Iranian commander; he had only one reason to be there - to orchestrate terrorist attacks on the US and allies in Iraq. Taking him out in Iraq was absolutely pivotal in that it erases all doubt that Iran is behind the recent attacks on US bases and the embassy. He was essentially caught blown to smithereens with his pants down.

 

Designation as a terrorist organization by the US does not mean we can or should just assassinate their members at will.  Trump has referred to both journalists and Democrats as terrorists by the way.

 

Iraq invited Iran's help with ISIS.  The Quds were training Iraqi militia in that effort (the US also trained Iraqi militia -- does that make us terrorists?).  There are reasons why he would be there other than orchestrating attacks on the US.

 

Your argument that an Iranian military officer is a legitimate target when not in Iran amounts to legitimizing targeting US military commanders in foreign countries.  I respectfully disagree with you, sir.

 

An assassination in Iraq, by itself, does not prove anything beyond "he died in Iraq." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/10/world/middleeast/iran-oil-field.html

 

Remember two months ago when Iran found 50 billion barrels of oil?

 

Wow.

 

Meanwhile. I guess we're only allowed to criticize the government when the dumbocraps are in charge....

 

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

All the "Clinton is a warmonger, Trump will get us out of endless war!" Trump supporters are either curiously quiet or have abandoned any pretense on this issue this morning.  This is but another example of the Trump psychosis.  This is an act of war- this is not like OBL whatsoever- and there will likely be escalation and serious consequences.  We didn't have to be in this position, and the US is not the good guy here.  Soleimani was not one, either, and there shouldn't be tears at his death, but this was an unnecessary act of aggression and the Trump administration simply cannot be trusted in its justifications because literally everyone involved is a liar.  This could just as easily be a case of wagging the dog.  Trump has no plan if this goes to full scale war, and it could.  

Your lack of self awareness is incredible. I searched both your old username and this one for any mention of Libya or Yemen. Zip. Zero. Nada. Your faux outrage is paper thin and see through. This is but another example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

 

Let me save you the typing. Nice whataboutism!!! You mean your inability to reconcile your inconsistent beliefs? You're only partisan. You don't care. Just as I'm sure you ranted and raved about Iraq and Afghanistan during Bush, but went silent when Obama didn't change a thing. Just like the media. Remember how the nightly news had a literal death tally EVERY SINGLE DAY during Bush's Middle East wars? Curiously vanished from the screen and newspaper as soon as Obama was in office. Weird.

 

Interesting that there wasn't a peep from the fakes when Obama drone bombed a 16 year old American citizen at a restaurant in Yemen. But these same people think killing a terrorist leader from Iran in Iraq is starting WWIII. Give me a break. Hillary would have been doing this and more. She'd be amping up her blood lust she finally got to officially organize while SoS. And you'd be saying how, "See I told you a female president wouldn't be weak! Look at her showing them we don't back down to terrorists. A great way to redeem herself for the horrible Benghazi incident."

 

I've always been anti intervention. I hated Bush, McCain, and Romney. I once thought it'd be great if we had zero foreign bases, zero soldiers abroad. I realize now the world isn't so easy so I'm still processing situations like this whereas before it was so easy for me to just be against literally anything war related. But your clear double standards, unaccountability, belittlement, and arrogant ignorance is just so dishonest and ugly.

 

It'll be nice in 5 years when a D is in the oval office so these threads and "conversations" will go where they were during the Obama presidency: on page 17 (or just nonexistent).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, aderwent said:

Just as I'm sure you ranted and raved about Iraq and Afghanistan during Bush, but went silent when Obama didn't change a thing.

 

Well said. Everyone thinks that Obama inherited two middle eastern wars started by a Republican administration, they forget that Obama lied about weapons of mass destruction and put us in Iraq!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The expectation here is that trump is telling the truth that there were attacks being planned by Suleimani. It certainly wouldn’t be out of the realm of why he was there, to create more havoc. It is also difficult to actually believe something trump says. 

   The fear is that this was more of a political decision that trump had projected that Obama would do several years ago by getting into a war with Iran to win re-election. Trump did not and has not spoken with the gang of eight. He has so far not shown proof that this is a pre-emptive attack.  The Iraqi Congress meets in a couple days and could very well kick the US out for these actions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, freefourur said:

This is an occasion where this administration would be better off if it had some credibility. 


And that, by far, is the biggest issue. 

No one's arguing that Soleimani was a saint or even that he wasn't an enemy combatant. The issue is that the current administration has been found over and over again to be less the credible, forthright, and even effective. 

Imagine our resident boomer's minds exploding if HIllary or Obama had ordered this strike. Remember, loose birther conspiracies are ok in their minds and retweets by their favorite reality star are pure facts. 

Edited by Gordon Bombay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not hard to find Iranians/Iraqis on Twitter who want this war. It doesn't prove anything. There were many who wanted the 2003 Iraq war and that was a horrible disaster. This would be even worse. Far worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And voila- all attention has been taken off of the emails recently released, showing more proof of wrongdoing by Trump himself.  How timely.

 

Still trying to process how this assassination benefits our soldiers in the Middle East along with our allies.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EVD, no one is defending Soleimani personally here.  As a thought exercise, I don't see too many others here, even those who think the strike was probably a mistake, actually mourning his death if he had been killed by local Iraqi or Iranian fighters.

 

The issue is the consequences (both good and bad).  And that includes not only the consequences of Soleimani being dead, but us being the ones that killed him (admittedly while on Iraqi soil a hop, skip, and a jump from an embassy that was just attacked).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This is a real problem. No one is on the same page here. It seems that they didn't plan beyond killing Soleimani. I really hope there is some sort of strategy here but I'm very afraid that there isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 WW3 is bound to happen at some point. 

 

The most realistic path to that is if the situation escalation continues and Russia and China defend Iran and join them in defense.  

 

Trump calls upon NATO and we have ourselves the New World War. 

 

Knowing Trump, he will probably cause the escalation to reach a point where one of Iran allies fires a nuclear weapons into us territory, probably Russia and half of our costal cities will be reduced to ashes and rubble.

 

As Albert Einstein once said, ww4 will be fought with sticks and stones. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The notion that Russia or China would actually defend Iran militarily, directly, is even more laughable than the notion that Trump wants WWIII.

 

Russia and China would want the US and Iran to hurt each other as much as possible while they stayed as far away from it as possible.  Look at it from Russia's perspective.  Do you (a) fight the US to save Iran, or (b) step up picking on the little guys on your own frontier while the US is distracted in the Middle East?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gramarye said:

The notion that Russia or China would actually defend Iran militarily, directly, is even more laughable than the notion that Trump wants WWIII.

 

Russia and China would want the US and Iran to hurt each other as much as possible while they stayed as far away from it as possible.  Look at it from Russia's perspective.  Do you (a) fight the US to save Iran, or (b) step up picking on the little guys on your own frontier while the US is distracted in the Middle East?

Although, I could see China or Russia providing behind the scenes assistance to Iran in order to inflict more damage to the US. It's just a thought but I am admittedly way out of my depth here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt China would- I think we're way too tied at the hip for them to escalate tensions over issues that aren't core to their national interests.

 

Russia almost certainly will do all it can to fan the flames, and prolong them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, freefourur said:

 

This is a real problem. No one is on the same page here. It seems that they didn't plan beyond killing Soleimani. I really hope there is some sort of strategy here but I'm very afraid that there isn't. 

Do we even know that they intended to kill Soleimani? Maybe they messed up when they tried to get the Hezbollah guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

The notion that Russia or China would actually defend Iran militarily, directly, is even more laughable than the notion that Trump wants WWIII.

 

Russia and China would want the US and Iran to hurt each other as much as possible while they stayed as far away from it as possible.  Look at it from Russia's perspective.  Do you (a) fight the US to save Iran, or (b) step up picking on the little guys on your own frontier while the US is distracted in the Middle East?

I don't think Trump wants WW3, but he might accidentally stumble into it.

 

Russia and China would love to do some proxy war stuff to us behind the scenes to get us more bogged down in Iran if we intervened. And I think (b) is going to happen no matter what, but it doesn't keep them from doing (a) as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IAGuy39 said:

 

Not trying to get in the middle of anything but my question to you would be, what would you do or what would Obama do knowing that most likely this man and country was plotting to and already had committed terrorism against USA civilians and allies?

 

I am not saying you are wrong in any way I would just like to hear what you would do in this situation if indeed it was true that Iran and this man were planning a coup of Iraq?

Obama never would’ve been in this situation to begin with. He wasn’t perfect on foreign policy by any means, but he also wasn’t an idiot needing to put on a tough guy act because his predecessor lived in his head rent free 24 hours a day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aderwent said:

Your lack of self awareness is incredible. I searched both your old username and this one for any mention of Libya or Yemen. Zip. Zero. Nada. Your faux outrage is paper thin and see through. This is but another example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

 

Let me save you the typing. Nice whataboutism!!! You mean your inability to reconcile your inconsistent beliefs? You're only partisan. You don't care. Just as I'm sure you ranted and raved about Iraq and Afghanistan during Bush, but went silent when Obama didn't change a thing. Just like the media. Remember how the nightly news had a literal death tally EVERY SINGLE DAY during Bush's Middle East wars? Curiously vanished from the screen and newspaper as soon as Obama was in office. Weird.

 

Interesting that there wasn't a peep from the fakes when Obama drone bombed a 16 year old American citizen at a restaurant in Yemen. But these same people think killing a terrorist leader from Iran in Iraq is starting WWIII. Give me a break. Hillary would have been doing this and more. She'd be amping up her blood lust she finally got to officially organize while SoS. And you'd be saying how, "See I told you a female president wouldn't be weak! Look at her showing them we don't back down to terrorists. A great way to redeem herself for the horrible Benghazi incident."

 

I've always been anti intervention. I hated Bush, McCain, and Romney. I once thought it'd be great if we had zero foreign bases, zero soldiers abroad. I realize now the world isn't so easy so I'm still processing situations like this whereas before it was so easy for me to just be against literally anything war related. But your clear double standards, unaccountability, belittlement, and arrogant ignorance is just so dishonest and ugly.

 

It'll be nice in 5 years when a D is in the oval office so these threads and "conversations" will go where they were during the Obama presidency: on page 17 (or just nonexistent).

Omg you totally caught me because you did a 5 minute search on one website and now know my entire political history on and off the Internet.  

It’ll be nice when “Americans” stop supporting a traitor and rapist who’s in love with his own daughter.  You can talk about my supposed hypocrisy regarding Obama all day and it still wouldn’t come close to that level of gross.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotsa chickenhawks out there. So many cheering on Trump. So few willing to fight...

 

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

 

well, I don't know about Hillary, but chances are Obama would never have taken such action 😲

 

 


Have you ever tried linking to something credible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Trump and his domestic oligarch buddies are shorting stocks and oil futures, Russia is likely thanking Trump personally

 

And

 

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eastvillagedon said:

 

😵

 

Dear Leader will never know your name or care who you are.  Beyond that, I can’t teach you why this is different or why context matters.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...