Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Last Don

In The World: Iran

ABC News Exclusive: The Secret War Against Iran

April 03, 2007  5:25 PM

Brian Ross and Christopher Isham Report:

A Pakistani tribal militant group responsible for a series of deadly guerrilla raids inside Iran has been secretly encouraged and advised by American officials since 2005, U.S. and Pakistani intelligence sources tell ABC News.

The group, called Jundullah, is made up of members of the Baluchi tribe and operates out of the Baluchistan province in Pakistan, just across the border from Iran.

It has taken responsibility for the deaths and kidnappings of more than a dozen Iranian soldiers and officials.

Read More...

I did some research on Jundullah:

From a Pakistani article from 2004:

Jundullah is but one of several small terrorist cells that have emerged after the government's crackdown on 'jihadi' elements. According to police officials, some 20 cells, largely splinters of the banned militant outfits, are operating in Karachi, which has become the main center of terrorist activities in recent months. "Many of those involved in the recent terrorist attacks in the city received training in camps in Waziristan," says Tariq Jamil, chief of the Karachi police. "Jundullah has close ties with Al-Qaeda."

From the Asia Times:

Jundullah is a purely militant outfit whose objective is to target Pakistan's pro-US rulers and US and British interests in the country. Members receive training in Afghanistan and South Waziristan, and it is now actively recruiting.

The organization produces propaganda literature, including documentary films, and has a studio named Ummat. It does similar work for al-Qaeda's media wing, which is called the al-Sahab Foundation.

Jundullah was allegedly headed by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the al-Qaeda operational commander of the September 11 terrorist attack in the US.

I don't know, but does anyone really think that this is in our best interest? 

Does it make sense for our government to be encouraging this type of activity in another country?  Who are the people that are really benefitting from this?

I pointed this out to one of my Iranian friends yesterday who is very pumped up over the happenings and made a crack about the person starting the "O-H-I-O" and he wasn't entirely amused.  But I did find out the squiggly lines in the bottom left translates to "At the end of the dark night is the lit day".  But the version of the photo in this thread is cropped so I guess it actually doesn't say all of that.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45928000/jpg/_45928619_-24.jpg

clik on the link...some of the comments are hilarious!  :laugh:

You've got to be kidding me. A young gentleman in Buckeye attire is now the poster child for freedom in Iran. Let's just hope the Revolutionary Guard doesn't recruit in Florida.

#

#

4:00 PM

Image of Weed Against Speed Weed Against Speed

4:00 PM

Let's see Carl Monday try and take down this Ohio State fan. That would be something.

Weed Against Speed Let's see Carl Monday try and take down this Ohio State... 

#

4:01 PM

Image of the earl of weaver the earl of weaver

If Mir Hossein Mousavi sports a red sweater vest at the next rally, we're officially screwed.

the earl of weaver If Mir Hossein Mousavi sports a red sweater vest at the... 

#

#

Image of Paul.B.Dodd Paul.B.Dodd

Was Jim Tressel over there in the Mideast with Mack Brown?

Paul.B.Dodd Was Jim Tressel over there in the Mideast with Mack Brown? 

#

4:03 PM

1 reply

Image of Neckrolls4LIFE Neckrolls4LIFE

O-H-...Aya-tOllah

Neckrolls4LIFE O-H-...Aya-tOllah 

1 reply by HockeyMountain 

Image of HockeyMountain HockeyMountain

4:57 PM

@Neckrolls4LIFE: +1 (buckeye alum)

HockeyMountain @ Neckrolls4LIFE : +1 (buckeye alum) 

#

Image of Bunkie Perkins Bunkie Perkins

Touchdown Mohammed?

Bunkie Perkins Touchdown Mohammed? 

#

Image of Evgeni Merkin Evgeni Merkin

Is he making the "O" or the "H"?

\Am I doing this right?

Evgeni Merkin Is he making the "O" or the "H"? \Am I doing this right? 

#

4:04 PM

6 replies

Image of Weed Against Speed Weed Against Speed

Who is Iran's Michigan?

Weed Against Speed Who is Iran's Michigan? 

6 replies by FlashIsBack, Sean Avery's..., DumpsterDining ... 

Image of Ol' Leather Pumpkin Ol' Leather Pumpkin

4:07 PM

@Weed Against Speed: It's still Michigan.

Ol' Leather Pumpkin @ Weed Against Speed : It's still Michigan. 

Image of lecoqsportif lecoqsportif

4:10 PM

@Weed Against Speed: Lebanon?

lecoqsportif @ Weed Against Speed : Lebanon? 

4:12 PM

Image of DorkimusPrime DorkimusPrime

4:12 PM

@Weed Against Speed: Israel?

DorkimusPrime @ Weed Against Speed : Israel? 

4:14 PM

Image of FlashIsBack FlashIsBack

4:14 PM

@Weed Against Speed: Iraq?

/does that make Saddam Lloyd Carr?

FlashIsBack @ Weed Against Speed : Iraq? /does that make Saddam... 

4:30 PM

Image of Sean Avery's Dating Service Sean Avery's Dating Service

4:30 PM

@FlashIsBack: America?

Sean Avery's... @ FlashIsBack : America? 

4:32 PM

Image of DumpsterDining DumpsterDining

4:32 PM

@Weed Against Speed: Pretty much every resident of Dearborn.

DumpsterDining @ Weed Against Speed : Pretty much every resident of... 

#

Image of 7-8 Deville 7-8 Deville

When did they declare Maurice Clarett a weapon of mass distruction?

7-8 Deville When did they declare Maurice Clarett a weapon of mass... 

#

1 reply

Image of Chili_Guy Chili_Guy

The back of the hoodie reads: "Congratulations, 2007-2008 BCS Champions!"

Chili_Guy The back of the hoodie reads: "Congratulations,... 

1 reply by Dark-Side-of-the-Warre... 

Image of Dark-Side-of-the-Warren-Moon Dark-Side-of-the-Warren-Moon

4:17 PM

@Chili_Guy: +1

Dark-Side-of-the-Warre... @ Chili_Guy : +1 

#

1 reply

Image of Tobias Funke Tobias Funke

OSU has a long history with Iran. Greg Oden helped install the Shah in the 50s.

Tobias Funke OSU has a long history with Iran. Greg Oden helped... 

1 reply by SayChowdaFrenchie 

Image of SayChowdaFrenchie SayChowdaFrenchie

4:07 PM

@Tobias Funke: +1

SayChowdaFrenchie @ Tobias Funke : +1 

#

Image of Chicken Wings Chicken Wings

Ahmadinejad went to Michigan, so this isn't all that surprising.

Chicken Wings Ahmadinejad went to Michigan, so this isn't all that... 

#

4:05 PM

Image of Theodore Donald Kerabatsos Theodore Donald Kerabatsos

4:05 PM

INVISIBUL ATLAS

Theodore Donald... INVISIBUL ATLAS 

#

4:06 PM

Image of Gourmet Spud Gourmet Spud

Not to mention the impression of Touchdown Jesus.

Gourmet Spud Not to mention the impression of Touchdown Jesus. 

#

1 reply

Image of Chili_Guy Chili_Guy

This is just being used to drum up interest in the FX spin-off It's Always Sunni in Columbus

Chili_Guy This is just being used to drum up interest in the FX... 

1 reply by Galactica 

Image of Galactica Galactica

4:36 PM

@Chili_Guy: +1

Galactica @ Chili_Guy : +1 

#

4:08 PM

1 reply

Image of Kid Canada Kid Canada

He looks like he's about three letters behind the rest of the crowd doing the YMCA.

Kid Canada He looks like he's about three letters behind the rest... 

1 reply by DorkimusPrime 

Image of DorkimusPrime DorkimusPrime

4:09 PM

@Kid Canada: he IS a Big 10 fan.

/rimshot

DorkimusPrime @ Kid Canada : he IS a Big 10 fan. /rimshot 

#

Image of Bobby Big Wheel Bobby Big Wheel

He'd better hope the SEC doesn't invade Tehran

Bobby Big Wheel He'd better hope the SEC doesn't invade Tehran 

#

Image of mfdoom mfdoom

i thought this was a pic of LA after the lakers won

mfdoom i thought this was a pic of LA after the lakers won 

#

Image of MopUpReliever MopUpReliever

Unable to conquer anyone from the Southeast, the Buckeyes set their sights on the middle east.

MopUpReliever Unable to conquer anyone from the Southeast, the... 

#

1 reply

Image of Jews For Purple Jesus Jews For Purple Jesus

If someone puts on a Tim Tebow jersey a holy war could errupt.

But I did find out the squiggly lines in the bottom left translates to "At the end of the dark night is the lit day".

You mean, the Arabic?

You mean, the Arabic?

Yep, the Arabic text, likely in Persian but I didn't ask specifically.  I suppose I should edit myself in how I interact with my friends.  Playing up cultural ignorance and insulting the others background is just what we do in our casual conversation.  Calling them squiggly lines is just part of that.

But I did find out the squiggly lines in the bottom left translates to "At the end of the dark night is the lit day".

You mean, the Arabic?

And you mean the Perso-Arabic? :wink:

Anyway, there is some incredible stuff happening in Iran right now.  But that picture is just too funny.

Now if only we could get President Obama onboard to become an equally enthusiastic advocate of freedom in Iran!...

Injecting your personal politics into a photo thread.  Brutus Buckeye does not approve!

Brutus+Buckeye.jpg

You mean, the Arabic?

And you mean the Perso-Arabic? :wink:

Anyway, there is some incredible stuff happening in Iran right now.  But that picture is just too funny.

FARSI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language

Now if only we could get President Obama onboard to become an equally enthusiastic advocate of freedom in Iran!...

I'm sure Obama is a great supporter of this movement, but he is smart enough to realize that if he injects himself into the movement he will likely hurt their chances more than help.

Injecting your personal politics into a photo thread.  Brutus Buckeye does not approve!

Brutus+Buckeye.jpg

Apparently Brutus Buckeye's disapproval of injecting "personal politics" into photo threads is only limited to certain views.

And posting of political material when such a thread already exists will result in its removal to the trash bin or moved to an approperiate thread. Let's keep this on topic:

1965-Brutus-Buckeye.jpg

BRUTUS SAYS SO

You mean, the Arabic?

Yep, the Arabic text, likely in Persian but I didn't ask specifically.  I suppose I should edit myself in how I interact with my friends.  Playing up cultural ignorance and insulting the others background is just what we do in our casual conversation.  Calling them squiggly lines is just part of that.

http://www.hulu.com/embed/8NUyynFuzJi_e3ipV3nhQg

Iran's government 'will not last', says Mehdi Karoubi

LONDON - The Iranian government is being kept in power by force and will not last its four-year term, one of the opposition presidential candidates has predicted. Opposition member Mehdi Karoubi said the government faced pressure from members of parliament, the Iranian public and the rest of the world. Speaking to the BBC in Tehran, he repeated allegations over the abuse of anti-government protesters in prison.

BBC News - Iran's government 'will not last', says Mehdi Karoubi

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Pro-Iranian hackers hit Twitter and opposition websites

A group calling itself the Iranian Cyber Army has hacked Twitter and an Iranian opposition website, replacing it with an anti-American message. Traffic to the social networking website was redirected for nearly two hours on Thursday night. The opposition website mowjcamp.org remained disrupted on Friday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8420369.stm

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Iraq insurgents 'hack into video feeds from US drones'

Insurgents in Iraq have hacked into live video feeds from unmanned American drone aircraft, US media reports say. Shia fighters are said to have used off-the-shelf software programs such as SkyGrabber to capture the footage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8419147.stm

How was the video feed from Predator Drones unprotected in the first place?  Securing that feed seems like basic common sense.

Iranian cleric's funeral draws protesters

Qom, Iran (CNN) -- Tens of thousands of people chanted anti-government slogans Monday before the funeral of a top Iranian cleric who turned into one of the regime's most vocal critics, a witness said. They shouted "death to the dictator!" outside the home of senior Iranian dissident Grand Ayatollah Hussein Ali Montazeri, who died early Sunday. He was 87.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/12/21/iran.cleric.dies/index.html

Mother of US hiker makes new appeal to Iran

The mother of one of three US hikers detained in Iran has made a fresh appeal for their release. It has been almost five months since the three were jailed in Iran for allegedly straying across the country's border while hiking in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8421894.stm

Ahmadinejad denies Iran nuclear bomb trigger tests

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has dismissed as a US forgery a document allegedly showing plans by Tehran to test a nuclear bomb trigger. In a US TV interview Mr Ahmadinejad said the report in the Times newspaper was "fundamentally not true".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8425704.stm

Fresh protests, clashes reported in Iran

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Reports of more demonstrations filtered out of Iran on Wednesday, including some that mentioned attacks on people mourning the death of a prominent cleric who was critical of the government. The reports come two days after a witness said that tens of thousands of people chanted anti-government slogans before the funeral of Grand Ayatollah Hussein Ali Montazeri, a key figure in the 1979 Iranian revolution who went on to become one of the government's most vocal critics.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/12/23/iran.demonstrations/index.html

Iran 'to invalidate' banknotes defaced by slogans

Iran's central bank has said defaced banknotes are to be made invalid, after the appearance of opposition slogans on money, local media report. They quote bank official Ebrahim Darvishi as saying that people possessing defaced banknotes should exchange them by 8 January. It was difficult to distinguish genuine defaced notes from fakes, he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8430162.stm

Iranian official: Arrest anti-government demonstrators

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- An Iranian national security official has called for demonstrators to be arrested following deadly weekend anti-government protests in Tehran. Soon afterward, an opposition Web site reported a wave of arrests.

"The undignified and disruptive behavior of the rioters is no longer tolerable for our people, since they have brought undignified behaviors to new heights by offending sanctities and values held dear in Islam and Iran," Naghavi Hosseini, a member of the Parliamentary National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, told state-run IRNA.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/12/28/iran.protests/index.html

Analysts see Iran at breaking point amid protests

(CNN) -- In the middle of a loud, violent brawl in Tehran, Iran, anti-government protesters manage to corner a handful of riot police who were sent to combat them. As the crowd pushes the police against a wall -- with screams coming from all directions -- a protester points his finger at them. "Why are you doing this?" he yells.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/12/28/iran.protests.streets/index.html