Sign in to follow this  
Guest Summit Street

Columbus: I-70/I-71 Split Project

From what I understand the High Street bridge isn't currently funded, only the Front Street bridge is. The project with the Front Street bridge (4R) is slated to go to bid next year and will also build the new exit to Fulton St from 70 EB and 71 NB. The High Street bridge has been broken out into its own project (4H). Third and Fourth would be under another project (4B). 

The city, ODOT, and MORPC are currently going after a $40 million federal INFRA grant to fund and build all three of those phases at once - http://www.morpc.org/columbuscrossroads/

An interesting tidbit regarding the caps --

While Phase 4 improvements currently include dual sixty foot wide green caps for both the High Street Bridge and Third Street Bridge, both of these bridges will also have the ability to support commercial caps on both sides. The City of Columbus has already completed a feasibility study for a commercial cap on the High Street Bridge over I-70/71. It believes the value of this new economic development opportunity is significant enough that a developer will be quickly identified.

Edited by .justin
  • Like 3

Does this whole project rely on Front Street remaining one-way? Front needs to be converted to two-ways YESTERDAY. It was planned as far back as 2013 and still not done. It's one of the most infuriating things the city hasn't done (to me). COTA's downtown routes would improve DRASTICALLY.

Not to mention, Front Street is kinda ugly. Like 90% of it.

Edited by Zyrokai

^Front Street can be made two way when the bridge is rebuilt and ramp onto Fulton is completed (basically phase 4), which is funded. 

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20191001/major-traffic-headaches-coming-this-fall-for-drivers-on-i-70-downtown

The ramps from eastbound Interstate 70 to 18th Street and from 3rd Street to eastbound 70 will close for good in November. But first, the traffic pattern for eastbound 70 and drivers exiting that stretch of highway for northbound 71 will flip on Oct. 12. The changes are part of the latest phase of the Columbus Crossroads project, which began in 2011 as a plan to untangle Downtown highways and interchanges.

This is so incredibly dumb, I'm surprised it got approved.  There will be no ramp to I-70 East out of the downtown area for two years.

Very Stable Genius

On 10/1/2019 at 1:46 PM, DarkandStormy said:

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20191001/major-traffic-headaches-coming-this-fall-for-drivers-on-i-70-downtown

This is so incredibly dumb, I'm surprised it got approved.  There will be no ramp to I-70 East out of the downtown area for two years.

Permanently closing the ramp from eastbound 70 to 18th Street in November. That will be replaced around the same time by a new ramp, just west of the existing one, exiting to Parsons Avenue.

Dark&Stormy was only half right. The 3rd St closure, Fulton St replacement will be 2 years (hopefully).

3 hours ago, Magyar said:

Dark&Stormy was only half right. The 3rd St closure, Fulton St replacement will be 2 years (hopefully).

If I'm downtown, is there a ramp I can take to 70E?

Very Stable Genius

^Traffic will be detoured down Livingston to Miller/Kelton or Alum Creek entrance ramps. Of course, you can also get on parts of 71, 670, and 315 and make your way to 70 East as well. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:36 AM, ink said:

^Traffic will be detoured down Livingston to Miller/Kelton or Alum Creek entrance ramps. Of course, you can also get on parts of 71, 670, and 315 and make your way to 70 East as well. 

I mean, yes, I'm aware there are detours (that aren't convenient).  Maygar was saying the new exiting ramp to Parsons would be a replacement for the 3rd St/Fulton exit that is permanently closing.

Very Stable Genius

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I mean, yes, I'm aware there are detours (that aren't convenient).  Maygar was saying the new exiting ramp to Parsons would be a replacement for the 3rd St/Fulton exit that is permanently closing.

The new exit ramp to Parsons from 70 EB replaces the exit ramp to 18th St from 70 EB. It will should be opening the same time the 18th St exit closes. (From what I understand, due to hospital access requirements the 18th St exit cannot close until the new Parsons Ave exit opens)

Once the 3rd St ramp closes in November, there will not be a direct on-ramp to 70 EB from downtown until summer 2021.

While the new Parsons exit doesn't replace the 3rd Street entrance ramp, the opening of the Parsons ramp does mean 3rd Street must close because they are so close together.