CincyImages

Cincinnati: Downtown: Convention Center / Hotel

Yea, I mean my personal opinion is that Columbus's convention center is much, much uglier than Cincy's. But that is just me, I am sure people would disagree!

Interesting because I love the Columbus Convention Center Exterior.  It is funky, colorful and it somehow works in the area surrounding it.  If the Columbus Convention Center was built in downtown Cincy I might agree because the fabric of both locations are greatly different but in Columbus where it is located I really like it.

Unusualfire, I hope you are right.  I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!

BTW, were is the Bancorp South Center located?

the newer part of the columbus CC is pretty neat looking, but the old part is hideous. the bad part of the center now is it takes away a big section of high street and makes it like an empty area.

are the letters on here going to spell Cinergy or Cincinnati?

(if they are spelling out cincinnati, somebody needs to add a second 't' after they get to cincinnat, hahahahhaha)

are the letters on here going to spell Cinergy or Cincinnati?

LOL...it's funny you said that because the first thought that came to my mind when I saw that rendering was that the city would probably scrap "Cincinnati" and just put "Cinergy" up instead to save money....

Convention center said on time and on budget

Project overseers review income, spending, steel lawsuit

By Marla Matzer Rose | Enquirer staff writer

Despite a few hiccups, the $160 million expansion and renovation of Cinergy Center is on time and on budget, city planners say.  The Cincinnati Convention Facilities Authority, chaired by Dan Meyer, gave an update at its semiannual meeting Friday at the convention center.

Project director Mark McKillip said the work, scheduled for completion by the end of June 2006, is about 60 percent done.  "We had a halftime pep talk last month," he joked. "We told the team we didn't want to lose it in the second half."

Read full article here:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050730/BIZ01/507300331/1076/biz

Center expansion on time, budget

By Kevin Osborne | Post staff reporter

A multimillion-dollar expansion of Cincinnati's downtown convention center is now 62 percent completed, and the project is on schedule and within its budget, city officials said.  Only one other major convention is scheduled there during the next few months, in November, allowing work crews to kick off a period of intensive construction.

During the first half of September, the large, white metallic letters that will spell "Cincinnati" on the facility's western side will be installed, forcing the closure of a section of Central Avenue for about a week.  Also, crews are erecting a glass curtain wall and metal panels that will comprise most of the expanded building's exterior. Completion is set for Oct. 1.

Work is under way to install new signs around the site, formally renaming it as the Cinergy Center. The main sign, at the corner of Fifth and Elm streets, was installed last week.  So far, about $82.5 million of the project's $145 million cost has been spent or committed. Begun in April 2004, the expansion should be completed by June 2006, said Mark McKillip, the city's project manager.

Read full article here:

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050901/NEWS01/509010349

Windfall for Cinergy Center

Higher tax receipts mean less debt for expansion project

Dan Monk | Senior Staff Reporter

Hotel taxes pledged to the expansion of Cincinnati's downtown convention center are coming in about 10 percent higher than originally projected.  That could lead to early retirement of bonds issued for the project, a faster expansion of Sharonville's convention center and the cancellation of a $10 million loan from the Cincinnati Equity Fund, one of three major corporate contributions to the Cinergy Center expansion.

When city and county officials committed to the $145 million expansion in 2002, they enacted three new bed taxes totaling 2.5 percent inside city limits and 3.5 percent in the rest of the county.  For the 18 months ended June 30, those taxes generated $10.3 million in revenue, or $930,000 more than the project's financing gurus originally forecasted, according to a quarterly report of the Convention Facilities Authority for Hamilton County.

Read full article here:

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2005/09/26/story4.html

I remember living in Louisville and thinking that the city wanting to put up a large, purple lit sign on the riverfront spelling "LOUISVILLE" was the tackiest idea ever.

I was wrong.  Those letters on the convention center look like a 3rd grade art project.

I just looked at the renderings on cincyimages, and the Cincinnati spelled out accross the front looks like when they syrafoam cups in a chainlink fence. What are the architects thinking?

i think it looks pretty sharp on that corner.  ill admit like most of you i think the lettering looks like garbage...but only when viewed perpendicular to that facade.  its not very dramatic seeing it going south on 75  but i was driving back from tennessee last night and saw the whole thing lit up comming off the brent spence and it was very impressive.  from that particular angle the the whole building looks nice, especially at night

I was driving into downtown last night on the 6th St. viaduct, and I have to say the lit up "CINCINNATI" sign looks pretty freakin' sweet.  I didn't have my camera, but I will next time.  It looks better from further away, but does not look bad at all up close.

Yeah, I give the "CINCINNATI" sign two thumbs up also...

I believe it was meant to give a modern untraditional look up close. When that whole area is finished and the streets are cleared up and the tress go up it will probably look a lot better. The only thing I don't like the is the lights lighting up the "CINCINNATI" are different tones? This will probably be fixed once it is finished.

i was getting off at 5th on my way home the other night and the green flowing led sign is insane. it looks really cool, but i'm sure it makes living on 5th street at night annoying. i know MED has some lofts across the street and i bet those tenants all enjoy a nice green glow through their windows. i'm sure the fire dept loves it too

Yeah, I give the "CINCINNATI" sign two thumbs up also...

I believe it was meant to give a modern untraditional look up close. When that whole area is finished and the streets are cleared up and the tress go up it will probably look a lot better. The only thing I don't like the is the lights lighting up the "CINCINNATI" are different tones? This will probably be fixed once it is finished.

They've fixed the lights.. I just passed it last night, and other than the middle of the T, I belive it's finished.  Looks pretty awesome too, I think.

Yeah, I saw where they fixed the lights. It looks pretty cool, especially when you are heading southbound on I75 and coming onto the 7th St. exit on I75 southbound. Now, I can't wait until the streets are revamped in that area!

Alright, this thing is already starting to pay off!

Cinergy Center lands national convention

Black law enforcement group coming this year

By Marla Matzer Rose | Enquirer staff writer

The Greater Cincinnati Convention and Visitors Bureau this morning will announce the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives as the first convention that will occupy the newly renovated Cinergy Center downtown.  A yearlong $160 million expansion and remodeling of the center is scheduled to be completed in June.

The Washington, D.C.-based group, which had planned to hold its weeklong convention in New Orleans, is likely to attract national attention with its call for the creation of a new federal entity to deal with the needs of "first responders" in national emergencies.  The convention is significant for Cincinnati because of its size - more than 5,000 are expected to attend - and because of the high-profile nature of its subject matter this year.

Read full article here:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051026/BIZ01/510260312/1002/BIZ

It's hideous, at least the outside is. Change that facet of the building ASAP. I can't believe that design was approved. It seems someoen 60+ years old designed That. This is the 2000's not the friggen 60's. I sware it looks like somethiing from the brady bunch. MAybe it looks better at night, but in the daytime ewww.

It's hideous, at least the outside is. Change that facet of the building ASAP. I can't believe that design was approved. It seems someoen 60+ years old designed That. This is the 2000's not the friggen 60's. I sware it looks like somethiing from the brady bunch. MAybe it looks better at night, but in the daytime ewww.

Completion, June, 2006.... they have a few months to go.

Completion, June, 2006.... they have a few months to go.

I believe the outside is mostly done. It's the inside that still has the most work to be done. The outside is growing on me. I do like the lighted "CiNCiNNaTi", but I thought the facade wouldn't be so dark/black.

I sort of feel the same way, but have to welcome modern architecture. I personally like the 80's granite and red feactures, it looks very upscale.

I love the new Cincinnati sign on the side of the convention center.  It gives the city a life it didn't have before on that side of downtown.  When driving past on the highway it appears to be a vibrant area and smacks you in the face that you are in Cincinnati.  Given a convention center usually kills urban life in that region the sign makes it appear as otherwise....I LOVE IT!!!

I have some taken from Mt. Echo Park that I might post soon.  It's during the day, though, but it's a straight-on shot of the thing.

I want to see!