Sign in to follow this  
Guest grasscat

Columbus: Discovery District / Columbus State Developments and News

^On Labor Day? They'll probably start Tuesday the 4th.

D'oh! You're right, I was just going by their FAA application project schedule dates. Thanks for reminding me I have a three day weekend!

Is there a website where you can see these applications?

Yep, its fun to check sometimes but currently only the Borror project has a height notification application.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=showSearchProposedCasesForm

Happy hunting!

Thanks! I'm not seeing the Borror request, but I did see three tower crane applications for the new rental car facility at the airport with a start date of 8/23. I didn't realize they were already starting that.

^On Labor Day? They'll probably start Tuesday the 4th.

D'oh! You're right, I was just going by their FAA application project schedule dates. Thanks for reminding me I have a three day weekend!

Is there a website where you can see these applications?

Yep, its fun to check sometimes but currently only the Borror project has a height notification application.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=showSearchProposedCasesForm

Happy hunting!

Thanks! I'm not seeing the Borror request, but I did see three tower crane applications for the new rental car facility at the airport with a start date of 8/23. I didn't realize they were already starting that.

Make sure you are looking under "Off Airport Cases" and try application 2018-AGL-15527-OE

Looks like they are asking for a max height crane of 230' (Maybe because of the hospital) for a duration of 24 mos.

Yes! I saw the airport facility as well! I also just looked and it seems they have set up a dedicated webpage to the new terminal and updates. Seems they are getting pretty serious about it finally.

Anyway back to the Discovery District, Iv'e also been keeping my eye out for a crane application for the 230 E Long Street Development.

Make sure you are looking under "Off Airport Cases" and try application 2018-AGL-15527-OE

Looks like they are asking for a max height crane of 230' (Maybe because of the hospital) for a duration of 24 mos.

Yes! I saw the airport facility as well! I also just looked and it seems they have set up a dedicated webpage to the new terminal and updates. Seems they are getting pretty serious about it finally.

Anyway back to the Discovery District, Iv'e also been keeping my eye out for a crane application for the 230 E Long Street Development.

I was looking at "Off Airport Cases", I just scrolled right past it at first. I see it now.

But yea, I'm guessing it's 230 feet tall due to the hospital. I don't know why else it would be so tall.

And yea I saw the dedicated page for the new terminal yesterday. It's exciting that they are starting on the new rental car facility.

Borror's 222-apartment project next to Grant Medical Center approved

Borror has taken pains to rework its biggest downtown development yet.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/01/24/borrors-222-apartment-project-next-to-grant.html

^ Any indication on a timeline?

Looks like work is scheduled to start next Monday, September 3rd. The crane will come shortly after.

Does anyone know if work was started on the Borror project this week?

Does anyone know if work was started on the Borror project this week?

The buildings are demolished, and the site is fenced off with about two feet excavated.

That Culinary Arts Building (aka Mitchell Hall) is the start of some great improvements for the Columbus State downtown campus.  The Culinary Arts Building is being built on the large triangular surface parking lot just south of the Center for Technology and Learning at the corner of Cleveland Avenue and Mt. Vernon Avenue.  Below is an aerial view of the triangular parking lot and a 2013 Master Plan for the same area: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-state-president-presents-vision-for-revitalized-discovery-district-bw1

42210403734_923f3754f9_c_d.jpg

29056174358_3cf9488c7d_o_d.jpg

Late May view of the parking lot being torn up for the Culinary Arts Building at the corner of Cleveland & Mt. Vernon from https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-may-2018-we1

Here is a view from across Cleveland Avenue of that same parking lot area.  Note that the portion of Mt. Vernon Avenue that currently runs just south of the Center for Technology and Learning has been removed and replaced with campus green space:

cscc-04.jpg

Late August construction photo of the elevator and stairwell cores rising from the former parking lot at Columbus State for the new Culinary Arts Building (aka Cameron Mitchell Hall) at Cleveland & Mt. Vernon:  https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-august-2018-part-1

construction-roundup-august-01.jpg

Construction begins at Topiary Park brownstones

motorists-topiary-housing-conceptual-rev

Work has started on the planned five-story brownstones along Topiary Park downtown behind the main library.

MIG Realty, a division of Motorists Insurance Group, is behind the project along Oak Street, between South 9th Street and South Washington Avenue. Once completed, the development will bring 91 units in new five-story apartment housing on the north end of the park.

“Today as we celebrate Motorists’ development of The Residences at Topiary Park, we are contributing to the community in which we live and work – our own backyard,” Motorists CEO Dave Kaufman said at a ground-breaking ceremony.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/10/09/construction-begins-at-topiary-park-brownstones.html

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^is that the right rendering for that location?  I think the rendering you're showing was the one on State St, and the pic you're showing is Oak?

Edited by ck

11 hours ago, ck said:

^is that the right rendering for that location?  I think the rendering you're showing was the one on State St, and the pic you're showing is Oak?

No, that photo is of State St. 

This is the street view from State St:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3854e5c4f2629e3c752e96cf335a6430.PNG

• Thanks 1

Downtown Commission gives Pizzuti Cos. OK to redevelop Grant Oak apartments

screen-shot-2018-12-18-at-22012-pm*750xx

The redevelopment of the Grant Oak apartments near the Columbus Metropolitan Library has an approval.

Pizzuti Cos. wants to revitalize the 1940s-era complex of 130 apartments along Oak Street next to the Columbus Metropolitan Library and near the Topiary Park by demolishing three of seven buildings and putting up a five-story, 80-unit building.

The 70 units inside the four remaining buildings would be renovated. The developer is shooting to start construction in March or April, said Jon Riewald, director of development for Pizzuti Cos.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/01/22/downtown-commission-gives-pizzuti-cos-ok-to.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Columbus State wants spend $3M to redo Aquinas Hall

Columbus State Community College officials are seeking a design team to restore a 114-year-old building on campus for $3 million.

Built in 1905, Aquinas Hall served as the school's first building when then-Columbus Technical Institute purchased it in 1965. Before then, it was Aquinas College High School.

According to the request, the building's limestone and brick have cracked and rainwater has started to seep through the exterior.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/02/12/columbus-state-wants-spend-3m-to-redo-aquinas-hall.html

aquinashall*750xx853-1137-0-0.jpg

• Thanks 1

Columbus State (and community colleges in general) is such an under appreciated asset in Columbus. The fact that it's downtown just makes it better. I'm glad to see the campus expanding and reinvesting in itself to replicate a university more than a commuter college. If we could get decent affordable housing for students and connect CState/CCAD to the rest of downtown, it would go a long way in term of making downtown more active. 

• Like 2

Discovery District readies for new life amid $2.5B development boom

columbus-skyline-convention-center-high-

With hundreds of new housing units proposed in the downtown’s easternmost neighborhood, the Discovery District will look completely different in a few years, developers told a crowd at the Columbus Metropolitan Club on Wednesday. 

The next big thing the neighborhood needs? It’s a bit more tricky than bricks and steel. 

"There aren't services – the 18-to-24 hour experience that a balanced neighborhood needs," said Joel Pizzuti, president of Pizzuti Cos. "A lot of neighborhoods are trying to embrace what they have. There's a lot to work with if people recognize and try to build on it."

Downtown Columbus has seen 15 years of population growth – adding 600 residents last year and likely will hit 10,000 in 2020, said Marc Conte, deputy director of research, planning and facilities with the Discovery Special Improvement District.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/02/20/discovery-district-readies-for-new-life-amid-2-5b.html

I really am interested in how the article discusses Broad Street as the biggest issue because I absolutely agree.

Since I moved here I have consistently been shocked with just how absurdly wide and deadening Broad Street feels. I've read on here that at one point there we're plans for a Broad Street diet but I have never actually seen any design or even official discussion of it, is it actually a thing?

Anyway, the combination of Kaufman and other developers seem to thinking it's enough if an issue to be specifically calling it out, plus a fairly successful narrowing over by COSI, maybe the city will take a more serious look at it again.

The 2010 Downtown Plan called for a Broad Street diet with fewer lanes and even landscaped multi-use trails on either side.  Not sure why that never went anywhere.  Most of those ideas were eventually implemented. 

I also find it just a tad ironic when developers talk about neighborhoods needing 24-hour amenities when half or more of the projects they build within the urban core have zero mixed-use elements such as ground floor retail space.  They're part of the problem. 

Edited by jonoh81

^The banks are less likely to lend if there is ground-floor retail. They know how bad city folk are about buying everything on Amazon. Seriously, you want real street life you're going to have to murder streaming and online shopping first. Make people go out and see a band on a Tuesday night instead of Netflix and Chill instance #2,375.

I am enraged by Broad Street every time I see it. You could run a ditched out river down each way and call it a yacht lane and it would still be plenty wide enough for all the cars. Hell, maybe even an airplane landing strip.

Edit: What can be done? Is it a good thing that developers are calling this out? I feel like Columbus is stagnating on its street diet plans and it's starting to drive me crazy. Front Street's two-way conversion only 50% complete? Why!?

Edited by Zyrokai

Back in 2010 this was proposed for E. Broad.

downtown2010-2.jpg

The design drew inspiration from what Broad looked like a 100 years ago. The historic photo below is pretty cool. Funding was probably an issue and it never got further than the conceptual phase. Before 2010 there was another median plan designed that was never implemented. The fire department had issues with the plan (which, IMO, was BS and an unwillingness to change. Michigan Ave in Chicago has a median and I watched an ambulance maneuver through traffic just last weekend). Some sort of road diet is sorely needed.

image.thumb.png.d21193541fc96cd26b5d878259f85d6d.png

23 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

^The banks are less likely to lend if there is ground-floor retail. They know how bad city folk are about buying everything on Amazon. Seriously, you want real street life you're going to have to murder streaming and online shopping first. Make people go out and see a band on a Tuesday night instead of Netflix and Chill instance #2,375.

I don't just mean space for shops.  Restaurants and bars are still popular.  There are also potential entertainment concepts that could be done. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pablo said:

Back in 2010 this was proposed for E. Broad.

downtown2010-2.jpg

The design drew inspiration from what Broad looked like a 100 years ago. The historic photo below is pretty cool. Funding was probably an issue and it never got further than the conceptual phase. Before 2010 there was another median plan designed that was never implemented. The fire department had issues with the plan (which, IMO, was BS and an unwillingness to change. Michigan Ave in Chicago has a median and I watched an ambulance maneuver through traffic just last weekend). Some sort of road diet is sorely needed.

image.thumb.png.d21193541fc96cd26b5d878259f85d6d.png

There have been Broad/High road diet plans going back to the early 1980s. 

28 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

I don't just mean space for shops.  Restaurants and bars are still popular.  There are also potential entertainment concepts that could be done. 

They should start calling it something else rather than retail if you ask me.

• Like 1

47169601442_1ccc0dd5ec_o_d.png

State Auto plans new garage at Downtown headquarters

State Auto Financial wants to build a four-story parking garage at its Downtown headquarters as part of a plan to bring more of its workers together under one roof. ... The garage would be built behind the headquarters at 518 E. Broad Street.

State Auto plans include space between the garage and Washington Avenue to support future development such as retail.  As part of the project, State Auto wants to demolish a warehouse it owns at 555 Boone St. and replace it with a surface parking lot with about 150 spaces.  The insurer will present its plan to the Downtown Commission on Tuesday.

State Auto’s headquarters currently has about 1,000 workers.  The company has been renovating its offices and when that work is finished the company will be about to accommodate about 1,400 workers.  But it needs more parking before that can happen. ... The company wants to move workers from offices in Gahanna and from 175 S. Third St. Downtown to the corporate HQ offices.  There’s no timeline, but the garage and renovations must be finished before those moves can happen.

The company also expects that its parking spots will remain available for Columbus Museum of Art patrons and other Discovery District neighbors during non-business hours.

MORE: https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190222/state-auto-plans-new-garage-at-downtown-headquarters

State Auto Floats Plan for New Downtown Garage

State Auto Insurance is looking to build a 791-car parking garage behind its headquarters at 518 E. Broad St.

Plans for the new building were presented to the Downtown Commission on Tuesday.

An existing row of trees along Washington Avenue would be preserved under the proposal, but that strip is land could potentially be developed in the future. A pedestrian plaza and drop off area would sit between the garage and the rear entry to the headquarters building.

Representatives of State Auto, WSA Studio and Realm Collaborative presented the concept, explaining that the additional parking capacity will become necessary for the company as it renovates the Broad Street building and moves more employees into it from other offices in the area.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/state-auto-floats-plan-for-new-downtown-garage-bw1

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/02/28/new-parking-garage-proposed-downtown.html

State-Auto-Garage-1150x550.jpg

Took a drive around the Discovery District today. A lot of foundation work underway. Should be able to see buildings coming out of the ground this summer.

Here's the Borror State St. project:

47298006622_8bee07fe1d_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, ColDayMan said:

motorists-topiary-housing-conceptual-rev

Excavation is underway for the Topiary Park brownstones:

40385500543_a25a025293_c.jpg

Edited by Pablo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Took a drive around the Discovery District today. A lot of foundation work underway. Should be able to see buildings coming out of the ground this summer.

Here's the Borror State St. project:

47298006622_8bee07fe1d_c.jpg

Did you see what the nine story building on Oak is looking like?-the one with the red color? How is it looking?

^I didn't take a photo. There aren't any red panels installed except for the mock-up shown in the 330 Oak St. thread. I imagine they've been focused on interior work over winter.

I was watching the architecture episode of Columbus Neighborhoods and they showed a model of an expansion of the Christopher Inn featuring a space needle with rotating restaurant. Looked around this site and the rest of the internet and it doesn’t seem to be posted anywhere except in the video. I figured it was worth sharing for those who have not seen it.

Funny thing is that it appears that the land where this would have been built is only a parking lot so an updated version could still be built there if anyone with nostalgia and very deep pockets wanted to.

69C95E7D-66D1-4A16-ADD3-4601630BECB3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DrFrankenmac said:

I was watching the architecture episode of Columbus Neighborhoods and they showed a model of an expansion of the Christopher Inn featuring a space needle with rotating restaurant. Looked around this site and the rest of the internet and it doesn’t seem to be posted anywhere except in the video. I figured it was worth sharing for those who have not seen it.

Funny thing is that it appears that the land where this would have been built is only a parking lot so an updated version could still be built there if anyone with nostalgia and very deep pockets wanted to.

69C95E7D-66D1-4A16-ADD3-4601630BECB3.jpeg

Holy crap, this would have been amazing lol