Cleveland: Calfee Building (Rockwell and East 6th)

Guest MayDay

This should be a condo. I seriously thought about buying here.

Me too, I even got a tour of the building when they first announced it was going to go condos.  As you can imagine, the inside wasn't too pretty (drop-ed ceiling tiles, exposed wiring, etc), but the potential was there for some sick condo units.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is MTS?

As you can see, I found the thread for you and combined your message with that thread.

Just the generous guy I am....

And now getting ready for the sh!tstorm of comments! storm.gif

Hahahaha, a sh!t storm smiley.  That's awesome.  I too was wondering what became of MTS.

I'm assuming we haven't heard any more news on this building....

Aww.... you kids were concerned.  I'm all verklempted.

I've heard some rumblings that some developers are looking at it as a hotel. There is more interest because of the proposed medical mart.

Well lets hope it's a three star property or higher. 

• 1 month later...

Just skimmed Colliers Q2 2009 Market Report, and it mentioned that "1403 E 6th St in Cleveland (CBD) had been sold for $1.3 million to "Popeyes Marina."  I think this is the Rockwell Building, former WKYC headquarters, that had been slated for the Staybridge Suites hotel conversion.  My gut tells me this is not a good development...anybody have more info on this?

Huh

This is the only other thing I could find on it.

SoldDate  Street Address      City        County      Price          Sq. Ft.    PerSqFt Asset Type Buyer                      Seller

05/01/09 1403 E. 6th Street Cleveland Cuyahoga $1,300,000 180,000 $7.22    Office        Popeye's Marina Inc Sheriff of Cuyahoga County

Articles of incorporation for Popeye's Marina Inc.: http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/reports/rwservlet?imgc&Din=G278_1172

FIRST.  The name of said corporation shall be POPEYE’S MARINA, INC.

SECOND.  The place is the State of Ohio where its principal office is to be located at 8561 East Avenue, Mentor, Ohio 44060.

THIRD.  The purpose or purposes for which it is formed are:

Said corporation is formed for the purpose of engaging in the business of a marina, boat livery, and boat repairs…

By: David J. Richards, Jr.

Sole Incorporator

153 East Erie Street

Painesville, Ohio 44077

November 17th, 1987

:?

Dave Richards is a corporate attorney with Dworken. He represents members of the Osborne family in a lot of transactions. He's probably the contact agent listed for the entity in its filing papers. Rick Osborne is the buyer based on the article I read a couple weeks ago. I have no idea why they used an entity established for Marina purposes.

• 10 months later...

By whom?  Osborne?

Am I crazy or would this not be a great location for a boutique hotel.  A block from the medical mart...and right in the "middle" so it is an easy walk east and west (offices on E 9 ninth and then those on Public Square) and north south (short walk to Euclid or Browns Stadium and othe lake front stuff).

Nope, you're not crazy Htsguy. It's a great spot.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

If Rick Sr. owns the building I would be very interested to see what he might be doing with it. He's in pretty significant financial 'difficulties' right now, and is radioactive to most banks.

I can't find the link but Crains reported a few weeks ago that the law firm of Calfee, Halter and Griswold was considering the building for their offices.  They are currently in the Key Bank Building on Superior and E 9th.

It is a great building, one of the best in Cleveland if you ask me.

@KJP, AWESOME new avatar.

Thanks! I posted a larger version of it in the Cleveland - Youngstown - Pittsburgh passenger rail thread in the transportation section.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Big news of the day!

Calabrese is a stud for making this and Schofield happen. 

Law firm Calfee to move Cleveland headquarters, 300-plus employees to former WKYC building

Published: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 2:11 PM   

Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A Cleveland law firm will move more than 300 employees into the vacant East Ohio Gas Co. building on East Sixth Street.

Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP has signed a 20-year lease on the long-vacant historic building. The firm's move, scheduled for late 2011, will support a $30 million redevelopment of the property, originally the headquarters of the East Ohio Gas Co. and most recently home to WKYC Channel 3.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/07/law_firm_calfee_to_move_clevel.html

Interesting....some partners are going to lose their lake views.

Would have rather seen this property developed as a boutique hotel but it is great it will no longer sit vacant.  This does not bode well for the Key Building (losing a tenant that leases 5 floors). 

Nice, but is the garage really needed?  There are three within a block!  UGH!

Probably not, but it is an incentive for employees and clients I guess...  It does say they were also looking at Chagrin Highlands! 

*Also its a garage, which if Im thinking right will be tucked into the block, and parking may become a premium in that area when the Convention Center and MM open.

I'm assuming the garage would go on the parking lot directly east of the building? It would be cool if they built it like 515 euclid with the capacity for a building on top in the future.

Wow, interesting news.  That lot behind the building is probably one of the least offensive places to cram a parking deck in all of downtown, so not so bad, but MTS wasn't kidding, there are many garages around there already.  Not sure how much capacity those other garages typically have though.  And nothing beats a connected garage if you're a driver.

EDIT, and good point by willy- parking demand may pick up quit a bit with the MM/CC.

I'm assuming the garage would go on the parking lot directly east of the building? It would be cool if they built it like 515 euclid with the capacity for a building on top in the future.

In the rendering it looks like thats what they did...

Probably not, but it is an incentive for employees and clients I guess...  It does say they were also looking at Chagrin Highlands! 

*Also its a garage, which if I'm thinking right will be tucked into the block, and parking may become a premium in that area when the Convention Center and MM open.

Sorry Willy I disagree.  All these parking lots are just giving people more of an excuse to drive.  If parking is going to become a premium, then we need less lots and more people as the prices will be out of reach for regular folks.

Regardless of whether they were looking at chagrin highlands they've decided on downtown and we don't need more parking.

Also, why not negotiate rates with the lots that are currently there instead of building a new lot.  There are a ton of options.  I know it's not my money but this is getting ridiculous.

Theres nothing to disagree with here...  Im not saying Im for parking lots or more garages, Im just stating what company's locating downtown that have suburbanites running/working for them tend to look at as well as some of the reasons company's sometimes choose not to stay downtown. 

*As I think has been validated quite a bit already, not driving isnt a valid option for many.

Theres nothing to disagree with here...  Im not saying Im for parking lots or more garages, Im just stating what company's locating downtown that have suburbanites running/working for them tend to look at as well as some of the reasons company's sometimes choose not to stay downtown. 

I understand that.  However, why would any company currently located downtown need to build more parking space?  If it's a cost issue, it would be more cost effective to negotiate leases with a structure already built withing close proximity.  And with three garages VERY close, i'm sure a deal could be made.

Coming from the Key tower (and having looked at Chagrin Highlands) Im guessing its more of a convenience issue.  I would actually prefer this plan to what is already there (a surface lot).  And again, demand for the garages in the area is only expected to increase with the CC and MM. 

You're right, I didn't even notice the garage addtion in the picture.  From this tiny, tiny angle, it doesn't look too bad...

Coming from the Key tower (and having looked at Chagrin Highlands) Im guessing its more of a convenience issue.  I would actually prefer this plan to what is already there (a surface lot).  And again, demand for the garages in the area is only expected to increase with the CC and MM. 

The point im trying to make is why is demand there instead of public transportation?  Who exactly will demand those parking spots?  Those coming into the city will most likely cab or use public transportation as will the majority of workers.

The point im trying to make is why is demand there instead of public transportation? Who exactly will demand those parking spots?

Can you seriously be asking why people don't want to take public trans here?  Have you READ the RTA thread lately?

These people want convenient, IN BUILDING or attached to building parking.  They get paid a lot of money and don't want to walk 2 or 3 blocks in the ice and snow, and it was probably contingent upon them staying downtown.  seems a no brainer to me.

As I stated above "*As I think has been validated quite a bit already, not driving isnt a valid option for many."  If youve been following, Public Transportation is becoming less of a valid option for most, even where it may have been one before (right RNR?).

The majority of the 300 plus employees I dont believe will be taking cabs to work...?

Again, I'll be glad to see a surface lot go away...

The point im trying to make is why is demand there instead of public transportation?  Who exactly will demand those parking spots?  Those coming into the city will most likely cab or use public transportation as will the majority of workers.

It would seem cost prohibitive to build a private garage when there are so many around it.  Maybe they expect to make money off of it, especially if they anticipate an increased demand in the area.

Make no mistake about it, Calfee would not have signed the lease (which led to financing for the re-purposing) if not for the guarantee of attached parking.  I highly doubt they were thinking of a move to the suburbs though, so I doubt that the parking garage kept them downtown.  All of the major firms are downtown for obvious reasons.  I can't think of a single suburban firm with more than 20 lawyers.

On a related note, I wonder what is going to happen to the space they use at the McDonald building.  I believe they occupy several floors in that building.

The point im trying to make is why is demand there instead of public transportation?  Who exactly will demand those parking spots? 

Can you seriously be asking why people don't want to take public trans here?  Have you READ the RTA thread lately?

These people want convenient, IN BUILDING or attached to building parking.  They get paid a lot of money and don't want to walk 2 or 3 blocks in the ice and snow, and it was probably contingent upon them staying downtown.  seems a no brainer to me.

Yes I am serious, with more and more people coming into the city RTA has to step up their game, but its difficult when there is virtually no planning/expansion or improvement of current services.  However, with the local economy slightly improving that will change.

That being said, what one wants, isn't necessarily right for the overall big picture.  Again, there are two garages at the corner of East 6th and St. Clair and one right next to the building.

Building a new parking lot and adding to the over abundance of lots already downtown isn't helping the overall big picture or a healthy vibrant urban core, we're always discussing.  My only view is they think they can make money from parking or they need the parking to help offset cost.  Howeve, are they really going to make any money as they have just added to the competition.

^They want "attached" parking.... for both clients and employees.  That is it.

It is what it is, but again, it's this one step forward, five steps back thinking thats got us as pegged as a car loving city!

Anyway...back to the glorious announcement.

No they are NOT needed.  But as long as cheap lots exist they will depress the price of downtown parking which will encourage people to drive, etc, etc....  Now, if the economy improves and some of these surface lots get built upon and more workers commute downtown and proces rise, then maybe RTA won't look like such a bad option. 

The Crains version of the story...  Of special note: "Calfee will move from 800 Superior Ave., a nearby skyscraper, where it occupies five floors."     

hmmmm... either/or or both???

*I guess that would be the space in the McDonald Building that Hts121 had mentioned.

Calfee, Halter & Griswold to make former WKYC Building its home

By STAN BULLARD

4:19 pm, July 13, 2010

The Calfee, Halter & Griswold law firm plans to put a different kind of stamp on downtown Cleveland's office market by occupying all of the historic former WKYC Building, 1401 E. Sixth St., in a $30 million project that includes construction of an adjoining, 190-space parking deck.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20100713/FREE/100719956

I understand that.  However, why would any company currently located downtown need to build more parking space?  If it's a cost issue, it would be more cost effective to negotiate leases with a structure already built withing close proximity.  And with three garages VERY close, i'm sure a deal could be made.

Look at it this way. Adding additional parking spaces downtown does two things:

1. Lowers the profit margins of parking lot operators across downtown.

2. Lowers the cost of parking for those coming downtown.

These are both good things, at least if you're not a public transportation nazi (and I'm not, as my charitable use of the Green Line yesterday cost me an extra hour of my time due to inexplicable delay). Lowered parking costs will encourage people to use downtown resources, and lower profit margins will encourage the selloff and redevelopment of surface parking lots.

Agreed.  From the article, "Calabrese and his partners at CRM Real Estate Services will build a four-story, 190-car garage for Calfee on a surface lot just east of the building. The offices and the garage allow expansion room for the law firm..."

Sounds like that "expansion room" means over the garage?  That picture definitely shows an addition on back with offices above.  I used to work in that building when it was Channel 3...

All these parking lots are just giving people more of an excuse to drive.  If parking is going to become a premium, then we need less lots and more people as the prices will be out of reach for regular folks.

Most of the cities we envy from a "walkability" perspective that have parking at a premium came about that way organically -- land was so valuable that building on it brought a better ROI that putting a parking lot on it. 

I'm all for more buildings and surface parking.  But having some sort of mandate that limits parking garages might be a bit extreme.

They're taking a surface lot and building a parking garage (which, if the "$20,000 per space" number I hear all the time is true, would make it a $3.8 million parking garage).  That's increasing density.  That's good for downtown.