Summit Street

Columbus: Random Development and News

Columbus is going to continue to ignore studies, rehash concepts, and water-down solutions until it's shot itself in the foot.

I am constantly shocked by the lack of vision the leadership and power players in this city have. 

Prediction:

The city will use this as a "guiding principal" to explore and study plans for future transit, infrastructure, and density plans. The city will never act on any of it in any substantial way, while simultaneously touting how Columbus "Gets things done".

I have never wanted to be so wrong, but I can almost promise that I am not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Columbus is going to continue to ignore studies, rehash concepts, and water-down solutions until it's shot itself in the foot.

I am constantly shocked by the lack of vision the leadership and power players in this city have. 

Prediction:

The city will use this as a "guiding principal" to explore and study plans for future transit, infrastructure, and density plans. The city will never act on any of it in any substantial way, while simultaneously touting how Columbus "Gets things done".

I have never wanted to be so wrong, but I can almost promise that I am not. 

I am so curious about this, that I'm actually planning to go through the records and see just how many times the city has done a transit study of any kind that ended up not being implemented in any way.  Even if it's limited just since 2000, I bet it's at least dozen or more.  Going back to say, 1980, I would not be surprised if the number exceeded 30 or 40 times.  For example, I know for a fact that the Broad Street road diet plan for Downtown alone was studied in 1973, 1981, 1989, 1991, 1997, 1998 and 2010.  And yet there is no Broad Street road diet.

Edited by jonoh81

I attended the event and thought it was good. I felt good leaving there but then I came here and man....now I'm just bummed out 😞

57 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

I attended the event and thought it was good. I felt good leaving there but then I came here and man....now I'm just bummed out 😞

lol, sorry... for my part, I'm just too skeptical because we've seen this song and dance too many times before.  I honestly do hope it works out.  The part about addressing zoning codes along these corridors is another very important point, though I think any changes need to be citywide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

lol, sorry... for my part, I'm just too skeptical because we've seen this song and dance too many times before.  I honestly do hope it works out.  The part about addressing zoning codes along these corridors is another very important point, though I think any changes need to be citywide.

Yeah you're right. If you're going to go through the trouble of fixing bad outdated zoning in these big corridors you might as well address the rest of it. 

I like many others really would like to see action on all of the things in the study, but until I see real progress I'm skeptical based on the regions track record of repeated studies and reports but no concrete action to accomplish anything contained in the studies. It's great these issues are being talked about but they're serious issues we actually need to address and not just talk about. I hope this time local leadership actually makes a move. 

I think one of the reasons this might seem like "just another study" is that Insight2050 HAS put out previous reports before, as they were formed in 2013. I imagine they'll have more as well.

But yes, I remember some of the various studies as well. I truly hope these all culminate into something good.

A few things that stood out to me:

• City Council President Shannon Hadlin MC'd the event. Is that a good sign the city wants to legitimately make changes?
  • The main guy behind the report was from the San Francisco Bay Area and he said that what Columbus is doing is pretty unique in that it's planning for the future rather than being "crisis-driven" (one of the terms of the day) like most other fast-growing cities, citing Austin and Nashville.
  • Dedicated right-of-way was a big focus, and I was very happy about that.
  • Changes to zoning was also recognized as very important.
  • They said this study doesn't include other corridors such as High Street by campus. Not sure why it wasn't comprehensive in that regard.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zyrokai said:

I think one of the reasons this might seem like "just another study" is that Insight2050 HAS put out previous reports before, as they were formed in 2013. I imagine they'll have more as well.

But yes, I remember some of the various studies as well. I truly hope these all culminate into something good.

A few things that stood out to me:

• City Council President Shannon Hadlin MC'd the event. Is that a good sign the city wants to legitimately make changes?
  • The main guy behind the report was from the San Francisco Bay Area and he said that what Columbus is doing is pretty unique in that it's planning for the future rather than being "crisis-driven" (one of the terms of the day) like most other fast-growing cities, citing Austin and Nashville.
  • Dedicated right-of-way was a big focus, and I was very happy about that.
  • Changes to zoning was also recognized as very important.
  • They said this study doesn't include other corridors such as High Street by campus. Not sure why it wasn't comprehensive in that regard.

They probably have stacks of studies for High Street.  But yes, it’s curious that it wasn’t included this time. High is the most obvious candidate, other than Broad, for a transit line.  It contains the city’s highest density already and could immediately support a line.  maybe they feel it’s already well served by buses.  

25 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

They probably have stacks of studies for High Street.  But yes, it’s curious that it wasn’t included this time. High is the most obvious candidate, other than Broad, for a transit line.  It contains the city’s highest density already and could immediately support a line.  maybe they feel it’s already well served by buses.  

I kinda feel like this is the case. Plus, the road diet they just finished in the Short North (with the last phases being done now) seem to cement the fact that it won't be getting any kind of dedicated ROW for transit on High Street.

20 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

There may be other plans in the works for High St or something.

I would guess with High already being the strongest corridor, any plans would be less focused on "growing smart" and more on just moving people and supporting the development and connections that already exist in maybe a more efficient manner? Idk but if it was left out, there was probably a reason. 

While I love the High street redesign, I can't help but feel it was very short sighted in its configuration. The new configuration will force any new or existing transit models to run in mixed traffic which we all know is a losing strategy for moving people. 

12 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I would guess with High already being the strongest corridor, any plans would be less focused on "growing smart" and more on just moving people and supporting the development and connections that already exist in maybe a more efficient manner? Idk but if it was left out, there was probably a reason. 

While I love the High street redesign, I can't help but feel it was very short sighted in its configuration. The new configuration will force any new or existing transit models to run in mixed traffic which we all know is a losing strategy for moving people. 

Unless that transit is underground...

12 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I guess we just have to go underground then!

21 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I sure would like to know when those plans will happen , lol. 

Columbus voters OK bond issues

Columbus voters signed off Tuesday on the city taking on as much as $1 billion more in debt to pay for major capital improvements to roads and bridges, underground utilities and other infrastructure.  About three-quarters of ballots cast in Tuesday’s primary election were in favor of Columbus Issues 7-11, according to unofficial results from the Franklin County Board of Elections.  “To have that level of support for each of these issues is fantastic,” Mayor Andrew J. Ginther said. “We are proud of that.”

Bond issues have become almost routine in the city of Columbus, where voters have passed 90 out of 96 such issues, with their last rejection in 1981.  By passing the issues, voters gave the city authority to issue the bonds and to raise property taxes if it cannot repay the debt with other revenue.  Getting voter support allows the city to get better ratings from credit agencies, translating to lower interest rates.

The city, though, hasn’t raised property taxes since 1956, and it sets aside a quarter of income-tax collections — its largest revenue source — to repay debt.  Under that policy, much of the city’s debt is repaid faster than required.  “We intend to maintain that policy and approach. We will only issue debt when we have money in the (special income-tax fund) to cover that debt for capital improvements,” Ginther said.

MORE:  https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20190507/columbus-voters-ok-bond-issues

1580299923_RANDOM-BriggsdaleII.png.cd55be46f03576bfbe9bfcdff35bb22e.png

Briggsdale II provides apartments for people experiencing homelessness on the Southeast Side

After struggling with homelessness, James McCary now has a roof over his head and a place to call his own.  The recovering alcoholic is one of 40 new residents at Briggsdale II Apartments, Community Housing Network’s expansion of the original Briggsdale community that opened on the Southeast Side in 2006 with 35 units.

Briggsdale II at 1662 Harrisburg Pike is designed for people experiencing homelessness, mental health conditions and substance use disorders, and includes 40 one-bedroom apartments in a two-story building that cost $9 million.  The complex offers a computer room, laundry facilities, an exercise area, a community kitchen and a lounge.  The apartments come with some furniture, including a full-size bed, a dresser and a couch.

Briggsdale II is the fifth project completed by the network in the past two years to help those with disabilities or other challenges.  Others are: Terrace Place near Ohio State University for formerly homeless men and women; Hawthorn Grove in the Discovery District for those with mental-health disabilities; Preservation Plan, a renovation of 414 apartments in 81 buildings for more than 600 residents with disabilities; and Laurel Green, a 40-unit apartment complex for people with mental-health conditions.

The next two projects for the network are Parsons Place on East Barthman Avenue, for tenants who face homelessness, mental illness and substance addictions, scheduled to be completed in 2020; and Marsh Brook Place on Chatterton Road, the first permanent supportive housing for homeless Franklin County youths, scheduled to open in 2020.

MORE:  https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190516/briggsdale-ii-provides-apartments-for-people-experiencing-homelessness-on-southeast-side

Two Downtown Buildings Now Empty After Being Declared Unsafe

The City of Columbus has declared two historic buildings Downtown unsafe after a fire inspection revealed a host of issues, including significant water damage, collapsed floors and crumbling interior walls.

The buildings – one is four stories tall and the other three – are located at 171 to 191 S. High St. and owned by an LLC affiliated with Plaza Properties.

Anthony Celebrezze, Assistant Director of the city’s Department of Building and Zoning Services, said that the owner has 30 days from the time of notice (May 14) to either bring the buildings into compliance, appeal the city’s determination, or perform another action “that shows that they are responding to the situation that we are seeing.”

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-downtown-buildings-now-empty-after-being-declared-unsafe-bw1

191-South-High-Street-1150x550.png

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Well, it's more...uhh...urban than I thought.

New renderings revealed for Marble Cliff Quarry redevelopment

Marble-Cliff-Quarry-Rendering.jpg

The redevelopment of the Marble Cliff Quarry would bring dense housing and a new park to one of Franklin County's largest open spaces.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/06/10/slideshow-new-renderings-revealed-for-marble-cliff.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

On 6/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, ColDayMan said:

Two Downtown Buildings Now Empty After Being Declared Unsafe

The City of Columbus has declared two historic buildings Downtown unsafe after a fire inspection revealed a host of issues, including significant water damage, collapsed floors and crumbling interior walls.

The buildings – one is four stories tall and the other three – are located at 171 to 191 S. High St. and owned by an LLC affiliated with Plaza Properties.

Anthony Celebrezze, Assistant Director of the city’s Department of Building and Zoning Services, said that the owner has 30 days from the time of notice (May 14) to either bring the buildings into compliance, appeal the city’s determination, or perform another action “that shows that they are responding to the situation that we are seeing.”

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-downtown-buildings-now-empty-after-being-declared-unsafe-bw1

I work pretty close to these buildings. I hope this means they won't be demolished. For some reason, I rather like them. They fit in very well with the block.

13 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

The redevelopment of the Marble Cliff Quarry would bring dense housing and a new park to one of Franklin County's largest open spaces.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/06/10/slideshow-new-renderings-revealed-for-marble-cliff.html

I'm not sure what to make of this, lol.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, ColDayMan said:

More below:

I'm not sure what to make of this either!  If this were being proposed for anywhere else within the pre-1950's Columbus urban area, I'd say it's a slam dunk project.  But proposing this level of density within that quarry location is something else.  But Columbus and Central Ohio does need more housing, so I hope it works.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:14 PM, ColDayMan said:

Restaurant Space Planned for Self-Storage Building on Goodale

134-East-Goodale-2-620x317.jpg

A plan to renovate a 75-year-old building that is being used as a self-storage facility was presented to the Downtown Commission yesterday.

The building is located at 134 E. Goodale St. – across North Fourth Street from the Smith Brothers Hardware building – and the proposal calls for converting it into a multi-tenant space geared toward bar or restaurant users.

Laurie Gunzelman, of Gunzelman Architecture + Interiors, presented the idea to the commission yesterday for an initial review.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-space-planned-for-storage-building-on-goodale-bw1

134-East-Goodale-1-1150x550.jpg

Reposted from the Columbus Restaurants thread.  An update about that 134 E. Goodale Street proposal first floated in this thread back on September 26. 2018 at https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/43-columbus-random-development-and-news/?do=findComment&comment=856752 .  Despite my misgivings about the location, it looks like the developer is moving ahead with the project.  The renderings look good - although not quite as elaborate as the initial proposal.  Hope it can work there.

Former Village Bookshop Part of Apartment Proposal Heading to Commission

161-620x382.png

A Worthington-based firm is moving forward with a development plan that involves the former Village Bookshop, at 2424 W. Dublin-Granville Rd., as well as eight acres of land directly to the north.

The historic portion of the former bookstore – which was built as a church in the 19th-century – will be renovated to serve as a leasing office and community room for the larger development, according to Kevin Rohyans of the New England Development Company.

The rear, cinderblock addition to the church building will be demolished and replaced with two new structures which will hold eight apartments (technically classified as an extended stay hotel to avoid the need to rezone the property).

Meanwhile, a plan to build a 154-unit apartment complex just to the north of the Village Bookshop property is headed to the Columbus Development Commission on June 13.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/former-village-bookshop-part-of-apartment-proposal-heading-to-commission-bw1

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-1.58.12-PM-620

More about Wagenbrenner's quarry development next to Marble Cliff/Upper Arlington (but located in Columbus) - and the Metro Park going in next to it:

Project Update: Quarry Trails

A little over two years ago, Wagenbrenner Development and Metro Parks announced a plan to transform a large former quarry site north of Trabue Road into the region’s 20th Metro Park and an adjacent mixed-use development (both the new park and the development are called Quarry Trails). ... The first phase of the Metro Park – which will be 118 acres in size and include two large lakes and a waterfall, among other features – is now scheduled to open some time in the fall of 2020.  Steve Studenmund, Metro Park’s Strategic Planning/Land Acquisition Manager, said that the plan is to eventually build out a total of 220 acres of parkland on the site, although no timeline has been set for those future phases.

Plans for the development, meanwhile, have been mostly finalized and are likely headed to Columbus City Council for approval in September.  Steve Bollinger, of Wagenbrenner Development, said that the first phase of the project now calls for up to 50 single family homes, 315 apartments and 100 for-sale multifamily units (72 would be “condo flats,” similar to what the developer is currently building at Jeffrey Park, and 28 would be townhomes).  Also planned for phase one about 57,000 square feet of office space and 20,000 square feet of retail/restaurant space.

Another 279 single family homes and 120 for-sale multifamily units are shown on the development’s site plan – and are allowed under the zoning variance to be voted on by council – but Wagenbrenner Development has agreed to hold off on building out that portion of the development until the completion of a regional traffic study.

MORE:  https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-quarry-trails-bw1

QuarryTrails-11.jpg

The denser part of the Quarry Trails development:

QuarryTrails-6-620x396.jpg

The less dense single-family part of the Quarry Trails development:

48208322076_5336984918_z_d.jpg

More plans and renderings at https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-quarry-trails-bw1

Excited for this to come together. Wagenbrenner does nice work and they've got a huge blank slate here. I wouldn't necessarily call it the most walkable but it's a reuse of an urban brownfield, which is a great thing. 

New task force to develop vision for Ohio Expo Center

Gov. Mike DeWine is launching new task force Thursday to help develop a long-term vision for the Ohio Expo Center.

The event venue is home to the Ohio State Fair and other nearby attractions like Mapfre Stadium and the Ohio History Connection.

The task force, dubbed Expo 2050, will review the future uses of the center and its surrounding amenities, according to a news release. The task force was designed to make sure an experience at the expo will include activities that "allow the public to get the most use and enjoyment" out of the area, according to the release.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/11/new-task-force-to-develop-vision-for-ohio-expo.html

2015-Aerial-1-web.jpg

6 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

New task force to develop vision for Ohio Expo Center

Gov. Mike DeWine is launching new task force Thursday to help develop a long-term vision for the Ohio Expo Center.

The event venue is home to the Ohio State Fair and other nearby attractions like Mapfre Stadium and the Ohio History Connection.

The task force, dubbed Expo 2050, will review the future uses of the center and its surrounding amenities, according to a news release. The task force was designed to make sure an experience at the expo will include activities that "allow the public to get the most use and enjoyment" out of the area, according to the release.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/11/new-task-force-to-develop-vision-for-ohio-expo.html

2015-Aerial-1-web.jpg

This is about a decade too late, the area is vastly misused and could be a hot bed for more hotels in close proximity to downtown and would've gotten the city off the hook for a new stadium for the Crew.  I've shared my VERY rough idea of what I would do with the area a couple of times on here.

"CL" would be Columbus LIVE! similar to what they have in South Philly and Arlington, TX among others.  The yellow highlighted area would be hotels/mixed use areas. 

The OHC would remain but in a smaller footprint.

Parking would be added via two new decks and some remaining flat parking for tailgating purposes. 

The red outline would be the fairgrounds and relocation of the OHSP to either London, Reynoldsburg where the fire academy is located or a new location TBD.

The darker green would be the Crew's new training facility and the light green the main roads throughout.

mapfre overview.PNG

A post by @aderwent on the Harrison West thread had me thinking, how can we show people that we are going "high" in Columbus.  Here is yet another paint creation from me.  All the one's with green dots are in progress or approved, the reds are proposed including those for the Scioto Peninsula and the proposed tower finale to Jeffrey Park. Also Crew Stadium and it's "neighborhood."

market tower & hilton.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

^Very cool.  Still amazing/surprising to me it will have taken the city 20 years to build something 300+ feet since the last one (Miranova, 314 ft in 2001).

Very Stable Genius

Developer proposes 41-acre mixed-use project near John Glenn Columbus International Airport

cassady-ackley-development*750xx1458-820

A developer wants to build a mixed-use development on 41 acres near John Glenn Columbus International Airport.

Metro Development LLC, an affiliate of Westerville-based Donald R. Kenney & Company Realty, wants to build apartments, an ambulatory care facility, hotel and commercial space along Cassady Avenue at the intersection with Ackley Place. The development would replace a few single-family homes and agricultural land on the site, just north of the I-670 interchange and the airport runways.

The property currently is owned by half a dozen small companies and individuals with addresses in Columbus and Pataskala.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/23/developer-proposes-41-acre-mixed-use-project-near.html

HI All - I normally only post in the NE ohio/Cleveland forum - but I'm interested if anyone on here can share info on the improvements the City of Columbus made on South High Street to the streetscape, in the vicinity of the new Marriott.  I drove through there recently and it looks fantastic.

I'm most interested in the following

- how was the streetscape improvements phased?  I know it's been a work in progress for years

- how was it funded?  Just general City street budget or through a special improvement district or a TIF?

- any idea on total project cost?

Thanks - Feel free to PM me the info

54 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

HI All - I normally only post in the NE ohio/Cleveland forum - but I'm interested if anyone on here can share info on the improvements the City of Columbus made on South High Street to the streetscape, in the vicinity of the new Marriott.  I drove through there recently and it looks fantastic.

- how was the streetscape improvements phased?  I know it's been a work in progress for years

- how was it funded?  Just general City street budget or through a special improvement district or a TIF?

Do you possibly mean North High Street through the Short North near The Joseph (Le Meridien/Marriott)? 

2 hours ago, gottaplan said:

If you meant North High St., there's a lot if info here: https://www.columbus.gov/highstreet/

The City paid for the project. I recall City Council voting for the funding. 

2 hours ago, gottaplan said:

Hello, and thank you taking an interest in and enjoying the High Street Streetscape Improvement. As mentioned, I believe you're referring to the section of North High Street in the Short North stretching from the South around the Convention Center/Hilton all the way North to E. 7th Ave:

image.thumb.png.4b8b6b4046f50a75a9c2cfa5afabc5ee.png

Much of the information requested can be found here:

https://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=2147501680

...and in this thread locally:

Hopefully this information is useful to you.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, ColDayMan said:

Developer proposes 41-acre mixed-use project near John Glenn Columbus International Airport

cassady-ackley-development*750xx1458-820

A developer wants to build a mixed-use development on 41 acres near John Glenn Columbus International Airport.

Metro Development LLC, an affiliate of Westerville-based Donald R. Kenney & Company Realty, wants to build apartments, an ambulatory care facility, hotel and commercial space along Cassady Avenue at the intersection with Ackley Place. The development would replace a few single-family homes and agricultural land on the site, just north of the I-670 interchange and the airport runways.

The property currently is owned by half a dozen small companies and individuals with addresses in Columbus and Pataskala.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/07/23/developer-proposes-41-acre-mixed-use-project-near.html

I really think developers are now overusing the "mixed-use" term.  It was originally meant to be used to different uses within the same building, then it expanded to included urban-style, dense, larger scale developments that had multiple uses, now it's just being used for any development that may have residences and a fast food outlet.  While the proposal has more uses than a McDonalds and some apartments, as shown above, it is entirely suburban and has very little to do with the original or even later urban definitions of "mixed-use", IMO.  Developers have really watered down urban concepts of late, like when they were trying to call Hamilton Quarter "walkable" a few years back. 

The increased density is an improvement, but that's a low bar.  Everything else about this looks terrible.

Edited by jonoh81

I wonder if that is in an effort to try and manipulate lenders. They won't lend for a strip mall, but will lend for apartments, medical and office. But you make them take a strip mall with it if you call it mixed use in this manner.

Edited by GCrites80s

2 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

I wonder if that is in an effort to try and manipulate lenders.

Perhaps.  One thing I've heard over the years about Columbus development is just how difficult it is to get financing for anything.  This seems to be a contributor to a lot of the local development issues outside of zoning or developers, themselves. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, jonoh81 said:

I really think developers are now overusing the "mixed-use" term.  It was originally meant to be used to different uses within the same building, then it expanded to included urban-style, dense, larger scale developments that had multiple uses, now it's just being used for any development that may have residences and a fast food outlet.  While the proposal has more uses than a McDonalds and some apartments, as shown above, it is entirely suburban and has very little to do with the original or even later urban definitions of "mixed-use", IMO.  Developers have really watered down urban concepts of late, like when they were trying to call Hamilton Quarter "walkable" a few years back. 

The increased density is an improvement, but that's a low bar.  Everything else about this looks terrible.

There are some really rough, sketchy areas around the airport. I'm not sure I would want to have anything to do with living in that area.

And they're semi-rural! That part of town just... I don't know. Investment is going to come slowly. It has terrible urbanism. You almost don't want to call it a part of "town". It's more like scrub brush.