Sign in to follow this  
Guest David

Favorite Music At The Moment?

On 2/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, surfohio said:

I read the book on Alex, "A Man Called Destruction" this year. Some crazy stuff. I think few realize his career went way beyond the Box Tops....guy was literally at the forefront of power pop and the seminal punk scene at CBGB's!!! 

p.s. CLE needs to revive Upbeat asap.  

yeah, as the song goes, invisible man at the scene with an invisible voice.

to the public, but musicians knew him well. 

i went thru a phase of listening to everything alex chiton ever did when he died. he is very idiosyncratic and just amazing.

i never read that book about him though, thats a good reminder to do so.

here is something recent about him:

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/big_stars_alex_chilton_and_his_darkly_upbeat_song_about_the_aids_crisis_no_#disqus_thread

-- and for sure a big +1 to reviving the upbeat show -- it would be amazing if someone would do that!

• Like 1

The book doesn't shy away from his flaws, that's for sure. One thing that was interesting to me was that Alex wasn't really allowed to play guitar with the Box Tops, he was too much of a novice then. Unsurprisingly the label insisted that studio musicians play on the recordings. But when the Box Tops toured with the Beach Boys Alex became close with Carl Wilson, and Carl really taught him to play.

Now I think Carl was a darn good player, but Alex became a darn great player imho.           

My mom got to meet virtually everyone in that early rock era. Her favorite person out of all of those stars was Nat King Cole. 

• Like 1

^I don't know how old your mother is, but when I was in elementary school I remember that Nat King Cole was still putting out hit songs, at a time when many people from his era--i.e. artists who performed popular standards--were becoming irrelevant. He had transitioned into a more mainstream middle-of-the-road sound from his early, edgier jazz days in the 40's, but remained hugely popular until his way to early death. He was the first African American to host a national tv show (though I think here he's appearing on the Jack Benny Show)--

Edited by eastvillagedon
  • Like 1

^ His voice rightfully carried across time and genre. So good!

My mom would have turned 89 last week. She graduated from Wooster High School in 1948, when THE Cleveland Indians won the World Series 🙂  

One of the earliest and most popular pieces of electronic media manipulation was the duet between Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.   The concept creeped a lot of people out, but this was so unforgettable it made the idea much easier to accept.

Some interesting kid stuff:

This show was hilarious! They had this performance down! Better than the original! lol.

This child was SEVEN years old! damn.  No singing lessons, learned from just listening and watching youtube videos smh.

She has plenty of good stuff out-now that she is at the ripe old age of ...eleven.

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

One of the earliest and most popular pieces of electronic media manipulation was the duet between Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.   The concept creeped a lot of people out, but this was so unforgettable it made the idea much easier to accept.

That pun was TOO MUCH