Sign in to follow this  
JohnOSU99

Columbus: Downtown Grocery Store Project News

If Millennial Tower would ever come to fruition -- one of their initial tenant ideas was a grocery.. Would love to see a whole foods pop in there (and hopefully get naming rights to the building) but all of that is purely speculative at this point. Heres to hoping 

8 minutes ago, NightNectar said:

If Millennial Tower would ever come to fruition -- one of their initial tenant ideas was a grocery.. Would love to see a whole foods pop in there (and hopefully get naming rights to the building) but all of that is purely speculative at this point. Heres to hoping 

If there's one area of downtown that could handle a grocery store right now, it would be the River South District. I think the population density, especially if Millennial Tower gets built, would be enough to necessitate one. I would guess the River South District is probably the most densely populated area in downtown, with more residential units on the way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

If there's one area of downtown that could handle a grocery store right now, it would be the River South District. I think the population density, especially if Millennial Tower gets built, would be enough to necessitate one. I would guess the River South District is probably the most densely populated area in downtown, with more residential units on the way. 

Not to mention Franklinton (Peninsula Area) just across the river and all of the development set to go online. It would be a hit for sure.

• Like 2

I think a grocery would be a great addition, even if it is just a "small market" concept that is becoming more popular. I think many people (but certainly not all) live in the immediate downtown because they enjoy a walking base lifestyle. Right now many can walk to restaurants, parks, jobs, and other places with relative ease. Having a store to walk to would be a big plus and I think would attract additional residents to the area.  

19 hours ago, capitalkid1991 said:

I think a grocery would be a great addition, even if it is just a "small market" concept that is becoming more popular. I think many people (but certainly not all) live in the immediate downtown because they enjoy a walking base lifestyle. Right now many can walk to restaurants, parks, jobs, and other places with relative ease. Having a store to walk to would be a big plus and I think would attract additional residents to the area.  

When smaller stores have opened in the urban core (Oats & Barley, Hills) they've struggled with complaints of high prices and lack of selection and the challenging sales that follow. It ended up closing Oats & Barley and Hills survives but I don't think they're thriving (I could be wrong). Unfortunately, higher prices and limited selection is part and parcel of a smaller, urban store unless it's run by a major chain that can still leverage wholesale efficiencies. Maybe something like the Target on campus or a Trader Joe's could work but we still just flat out need more density and more residents to really attract that level of retail downtown. We're just not building enough units fast enough. It'll happen, but it might be another decade. I hope it doesn't take that long.

In the meantime, DT residents need to support all of the local B&M options and not default to Amazon. If Amazon usage gets too out of hand the B&Ms won't see any opportunity there.

• Like 2