Sign in to follow this  
Guest richNcincy

Covington, KY: The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge

I think Covington is getting something uniquely ugly but hell it'll probably sell well.  I think that the push to get more people on both sides of the river to live in the downtown vicinity is key to development.  Mt. Adams, Bellevue, Newport, Covington, OTR, Mt. Auburn, West End etc. are key to getting things moving on our riverfront especially.

1.  the base is terrible.  i understand that in this area, parking is an unquestionable necessity, but i feel it takes away from the design.

2.  too damn short.  if you want to go big, go big.  i understand market feasibility, but this just ends up looking stubby.

may i offer a suggestion?

libeskindedit.jpg

Condo building may start in June

By Bob Driehaus

Post staff reporter

A flurry of meetings -- held Friday and expected to continue Monday -- signal major progress in plans for Corporex Cos. to build a signature condominium high-rise near Covington's riverfront.  If financing falls into place for the building, construction could begin as early as June on the site near the foot of the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

World-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind will present two versions of his design for a landmark, 18-floor condo to Covington's architectural review committee Monday morning. That meeting will be followed by Libeskind presenting plans to the Licking-Riverside Neighborhood Association in an effort to seek input from the neighbors of the proposed landmark building.

Full article at http://www.kypost.com/2005/03/19/kyarchitect031905.html

I think the lower part of the building is too short relative to the upward "swoosh"; to echo others, I think it would look better if it were taller.  Nevertheless, I'd be happy to see this built, and starting in June would be super!

I like the new rendering.  Covington's "skyline" is awful and hopefully this will demand better for the rest of the potential high rise locations remaining on their riverfront.  I remember when that stuff was going up shaking my head in disbelief.  And that courthouse a few blocks back from the river is one of mankind's worst creations.

Guest Cincinnatus

WCPO.com is running a poll on whether people like Libeskind's design and so far "love it" and "it's OK" are 60% vs. 40% who "hate it". 

Architect praises riverfront tower site

Libeskind envisions project in Covington

By Mike Rutledge

Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Northern Kentucky's riverfront near the Roebling Suspension Bridge is "one of the best sites in the world" to build a tower, architect Daniel Libeskind said Monday.  Libeskind was in town to explain his modernistic, 21-story tower to Covington's Architectural Review Panel and residents of the city's Licking-Riverside neighborhood.  He calls the building, which would hold 80 condominiums, "the Ascent at Roebling's Bridge."

Polish-born Libeskind, 57, has some fondness for Covington and Cincinnati - places he visited while he worked three years during the late 1970s as a University of Kentucky assistant professor of architecture.  Libeskind also is the architect who beat out hundreds of his colleagues for the honor of designing the new World Trade Center buildings in New York City.  He has designed a modernistic park-filled neighborhood near the center of Milan, Italy.

The highly visible 1-acre site at the southeast corner of RiverCenter and Scott boulevards "has a relationship to new construction, to the riverfront, to the historical fabric (of Covington) and to the bridge," he explained.  His tower's roofline plays off the curves and colors of the bridge.

More at http://www.enquirer.com

Neighbors look kindly on design

By Mike Rutledge

Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Polish-born, New York-based architect Daniel Libeskind wowed two Covington audiences with a combined attendance of about 75 Monday as he explained his vision for a modernistic, 21-story, 80-condominium tower he has designed for Corporex Cos.  "Love it," said Gina Estes of the Licking-Riverside neighborhood. "Nothin' but love." 

"I think it's an honor for you to be here and doing something in Covington," Jeff Stepner, also of Licking-Riverside, told Libeskind. But Stepner had one concern: He didn't want it to be the same color as the other towers Corporex has built.  "My concern was if it was going to be the same pink color of all the other buildings," Stepner said.

Libeskind assured him it will not: Instead, the crescent-shaped tower will have a bluish tint from its balconies and glass, and a sandy color on its other exterior surfaces, which may be made from precast or composite materials.  Those colors reflect the shades of the sky and the Roebling Suspension Bridge, Libeskind said.

Guest Cincinnatus

Great to read that Covingtonians are generally receptive.  The WCPO poll is now about 66% in favor and only 33% opposed.  I heard a bit of Libeskind's pitch on the news and it was good to hear his positive comments about the area.  I didn't know he had once taught architecture at UK.  I will be tempted to look into buying one of those condos if they are built as designed, though I'm not really very keen on the idea of moving to Kentucky (no offense Kentuckians, but I just don't want to have to change my licenses again and go through the moving process.  On the other hand those condos would have wonderful views of Cincinnati.) 

Wow, there's been a lot of press on this lately. Butler must have some sway with the editorial boards. From today's Cinci Post:

Design for condos earns praise

By Jeanne Houck

Post staff reporter

"Magnificent." "Inspirational." "Unique." "A work of art."  Those were words used by Covington residents, business leaders and city officials Monday after reviewing Corporex Cos.' plans for "The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge," a futuristic condominium high-rise on the riverfront.

In separate hearings, world-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind presented to the city's Architectural Review Board and then to civic leaders and Covington residents his plans for a 21-floor, crescent-shaped tower with expansive glass windows and an asymmetrical "swooshing" roof.  Even people with questions about the tower, proposed to be built just west of the Roebling Suspension Bridge, could not help praising the plans drawn up by Libeskind, who was chosen to design new buildings for the World Trade Center site in New York City.

On Monday, the city's architectural review board agreed to recommend the city commission approve plans for the tower, which is to include 80 upscale condominiums on 18 floors and a lobby, plaza, swimming pool, restaurant  and, perhaps, some retail space, on the other three floors.  Referring to the beauty and boldness of the design, architectural review board member Robert Lape said, "This would be a sculpture located next to the Suspension Bridge, basically."

More at http://www.cincypost.com

Seriously.  Fantastic.  Glad to see Covington loving it.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Okay, the name of the project has been changed, so I altered the thread title to reflect that.  From the 3/23/05 Kentucky Post:

Covington's new jewel

Futuristic high-rise to boldly repaint skyline

By Jeanne Houck

Post staff reporter

In separate hearings, world-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind presented the city's Architectural Review Board and then civic leaders and Covington residents his plans for a 21-floor, crescent-shaped tower with large glass windows and an asymmetrical "swooshing" roof. 

On Monday, the city's architectural review board agreed to recommend the City Commission approve plans for the tower, which is to include 80 upscale condominiums on 18 floors and a lobby, plaza, swimming pool, restaurant and, perhaps, some retail space, on the other three floors.  Next Monday, Covington's Urban Design Review Board will review plans for The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge and make a recommendation to the City Commission, which will have final say.

Full article at http://www.kypost.com/2005/03/22/butler032205.html

Editorial: Adding to the collection

Cincinnati Post 3/28/05

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To explain more poetically the effect created by the crescent shape, sloping roof and glass front of the 21-floor condominium tower proposed in Covington near the Roebling Suspension Bridge, we're going to let the architect himself speak: "Through the vertical, non-repeating articulation of the facade, the building breaks from the repetitive, horizontal orientation of typical high-rise building. Its multiple layers blur the distinction between interior and exterior, both visually and experientially."

That's the description on the Web site of architect Daniel Libeskind, he who designed the new World Trade Center in New York. With projects from Denver to Dublin, Switzerland to South Korea, Libeskind is a player on the world's stage, and to have him here in Covington is a coup. The proposed Covington building is stunning, a virtual 300-foot-tall piece of art, and if developer Bill Butler is able to get it built (he says he hopes to start this summer), it would be a real jewel for the city both aesthetically and economically.

More at http://www.cincypost.com

But officials must be sensitive to spacing and mindful of not continuing the "canyon effect'' along RiverCenter Boulevard.

I disagree.

But in an ideal world, we would pick up the entire series of office buildings and hotels and move them one block south, where they would feature the same impressive views of the Cincinnati skyline but wouldn't cut the city off from its river.

Not in my ideal world.

can't say i'm a fan of this editorial.

CiNYC, you don't think the entire NKY riverfront would be better with a block of parkland across the whole thing?  Trees, bike trails. etc.  The entire RiverCenter complex is already totall disjointed from downtown Covington and blocks all the views, the same goes for the large buildings on the Newport riverfront.

Ky. tower passes hurdle

By Abby Slutsky

Enquirer contributor

COVINGTON - The city Urban Design Review Board on Monday unanimously approved plans for a 21-story condominium tower in downtown Covington and sent them onto the City Commission for approval.  The tower, which will be built by Corporex Cos., is called The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge.

Yama Karim, a project architect with Studio Daniel Libeskind, presented a slide show of projects that the architectural firm has been working on around the world, including the Liberty Tower to be built at the site of New York's World Trade Center.  Libeskind has said the modern design of The Ascent is based on shapes and colors that reflect both the Roebling Suspension Bridge and the history of Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

The 80-unit tower would cost $40 million. It would be built at East RiverCenter Boulevard and Scott Street.  Unit sizes will range from 950 square feet to 7,000 square feet for the three-story penthouse.  Costs of the units were not available.

It wasn't Butler's decision where to put the towers, the City of Covington is the party responsible for the basic building envelopes.  They own most of the land and the parking garages (which they paid for).  Butler only has the air rights above those garages.  The garage underneath the Madison Place development is owned by the State of Kentucky.

CiNYC, you don't think the entire NKY riverfront would be better with a block of parkland across the whole thing? Trees, bike trails. etc. The entire RiverCenter complex is already totall disjointed from downtown Covington and blocks all the views, the same goes for the large buildings on the Newport riverfront.

Nope, not at all.  There are plenty of parks around (mostly underused) with more on the way.  I like successful parks, but in order to have a successful park, you need critical mass of people working and living nearby, which Covington definitely doesn't have.  I'll take development on the river over unused land (no matter how nice it may be) any day.

Regarding the views, no that doesn't bother me either.  I like cities at street level.  If people want views, then build up IMO.

if this project starts i'll toss up a webcam so we can watch it. my desk faces the river, but i can put a camera on the back of our floor and document this. should be an interesting project to watch

More great press. It sounds like this project really has momentum.

The Enquirer also had vignettes on Libeskind's other projects:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050419/LIFE/504190324

In Covington, Ascent will reach for the sky

City Commission votes today on condo project

By Sara Pearce

Enquirer staff writer

From the moment settlers constructed their first building on the downtown riverfront, our eyes have been drawn to it. In the centuries since, the Ohio River's banks have seen it all. Warehouses. Town houses. Parking lots. Stadiums. Saloons. Parks. Mansions. Offices.

Each incarnation has been a bellwether of our hopes, dreams and aspirations as a city. From thriving port and commerce center to major-league town and cultural hub. And as the riverfront and skyline on both sides of the river have evolved, major additions have been hotly debated, which is one of the many things that immediately separates The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge from what has gone before it.

The building with the lofty name, designed for Corporex, is a sleek, $40 million, 21-story condominium tower that everyone seems to like. The proposal has been approved by the Kenton County Planning Commission, Covington Architectural Review Panel and Covington Urban Design Review Board. Tonight, it faces one final group: Covington City Commission, which is scheduled to vote on it.

Guest Cincinnatus

^Today's article in the Enquirer is very good.  Somewhat unusual for them.  They provided a nice big rendering too.

bilde?Site=AB&Date=20050419&Category=LIFE&ArtNo=504190324

Guest Cincinnatus

It's approved and construction is to begin this summer.

Condo project ready to rise

Covington gives final approval for Ascent at Roebling's Bridge

By Cindy Schroeder

Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Construction of a sleek, $40 million, 21-story condo tower vying to become Greater Cincinnati's most dramatic-looking skyscraper should begin by late summer, after the project cleared its final legislative hurdle Tuesday.  The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge is the dream of Corporex Cos. chairman Bill Butler and Polish-born architect Daniel Libeskind, the winner of an international competition to design new buildings for the World Trade Center site.  The crescent-shaped tower just west of the historic bridge would add 80 luxury condominium units, all with views of the Cincinnati skyline, to Covington's riverfront.

Tuesday, Covington City Commission unanimously approved two alternative development plans and the variances required for Corporex Cos. to develop the one-acre site at the southeast corner of East RiverCenter and Scott boulevards, where the Coach and Four restaurant once stood. Developers will decide which version of the tower to build later this year.  Details such as the square footage of the condos, prices and amenities have yet to be determined because the developer "is still working through the interior design," Project Manager Steven Massicot said.

Guest Cincinnatus

A large rendering of the Ascent at Roebling's Bridge is featured on the front page of the second section of today's Wall Street Journal under the headline "Location, Location, Architect:  Builders Hire Famous Names to Design Luxury Condos; Paying More for Libeskind".  Smaller renderings of buildings in St. Petersburg and Ft. Lauderdale, FL are also included.  According to the article the prices of the condos in the Ascent will range from $380,000 to $1 million. I'd think $1 million would be a bargain for the penthouse apt. if that were true.

From the 5/7/05 Kentucky Post:

Condo project might work its magic in city

By Jeanne Houck

Post staff reporter

World-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind wrote in a 2004 memoir that "There's a magic to a great building."  Covington leaders hope that's true of the 21-floor condominium tower he's designed for the city's riverfront.

Government officials and business people would like nothing more than to see surrounding residential and commercial development take wing with the asymmetrical "swooshing" roof that is to top the estimated $40 million high-rise that Corporex Cos. of Covington wants to build just west of the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

Steven Massicot, Corporex's project manager, thinks it's a given.  "This will definitely be a catalyst for downtown Covington and the entire region," he said. "We've learned from other downtowns such as Nashville that if you bring residents downtown, retail will follow."

Full article at http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050507/NEWS02/505070325/1011/RSS02

Well, atleast SOMEBODY is on the ball with getting the riverfront development intact...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

holy mackeral that thing is wacky -- in a good way. i cant wait to watch the construction.

the trees or plantings along the top seem to take up valuable penthouse space, no? ieh, 'm sure they have that all figured out. i'm happy to hear it's a go. it will be fun to watch go up and a striking and cool addition to the skyline.

Am I the only one that hates balconies on buildings?  They can really affect (negatively) the design of a building.  I wonder if the trees in the top floors will actually happen.  He loves glass, and incorporating plants and whatnot.

I hate to break it to the guy, but it is going to cost alot more then $40 mill to bulid.  Probably double that amount.  Especially with the price of steel the days.

From the 6/6/05 Cincinnati Business Courier:

New Covington tower to let buyers give input on design

Corporex Cos. has started a new program for its planned Covington condo tower that will let early buyers give input on the building's interior design.  The Reserve Buyers Program will be open to buyers "who have a significant interest in being the first to own a home" in the 21-story Ascent at Roebling's Bridge.  According to a news release, those reserve buyers will be able to give their input on design decisions at the tower and will receive special monthly updates about the building's progress.

The Ascent condo project will include 78 condo units ranging in price from $395,000 to $1.5 million for standard units. Penthouse units are expected to cost even more, a spokeswoman said.  The building, designed by architect Daniel Libeskind, will overlook Northern Kentucky and the Ohio River.

More information about the project is availabile at www.corporex.com/theascent.

Full article at http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2005/06/06/daily7.html

Potential buyers help plan Ascent

Focus groups aid developers with details of tower

By Mike Rutledge

Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Steve Frank figures the Ascent at Roebling's Bridge is his best chance at getting his New York-born wife to move to his native Northern Kentucky. Frank, 48, a Covington Latin graduate, and his wife, Nancy, are among 30 people who have participated in focus groups to help shape the amenities, features and floor plans of the Daniel Libeskind-designed high-rise.  "The high rise appeals to her New York kinda stuff," he said. "She insisted when we married that we move to Ohio. And this is my only way of getting her back - I can give her a New York high rise."

Focus groups are part of an effort by the developer, Covington-based Corporex Cos., to involve prospective buyers early.  That's unusual for such projects, real estate experts say.  It's led by Corporex's chief marketing officer, Debbie Vicchiarelli, a veteran of Procter & Gamble Co. and other consumer companies.

Unit prices - which are still in flux - are estimated to range from $395,000 for a single-bedroom unit with a den to around $1.5 million for the penthouse. Each unit will have 10-foot-tall windows looking out over the Roebling Suspension Bridge and the city.  The building's three-story penthouse will be called "The Pinnacle," and it will not have a number like the other units, only its high-reaching name.

Can you include the URL with the articles?  It's handy sometimes for emailing folks and finding related stories and such...but thanks for updating us with them!

Sorry about all the big words Grasscat, I just cut and paste.  Although I am now experimenting with color.

Well, it's not that, but the "ADVERTISEMENT", "Zoom" and the sidebars that appear in the middle of the stories that kind of muck it up.

Can you include the URL with the articles?  It's handy sometimes for emailing folks and finding related stories and such...but thanks for updating us with them!

Plus, it's a matter of common courtesy when you're posting someone else's articles.