Jump to content
Guest Anonymous

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

Recommended Posts

Yeah the old people and Republicans who live in Warren county aren't going to pay for a new $1 billion+ stadium.  Paul Brown will be renovated because the Bengals have nowhere else to go, and the Browns sure as hell aren't paying to build a new stadium themselves.  Unlike almost every other pro sports owner they don't have any other revenue sources besides the team, so they don't have that much money for an NFL owner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:


PBS is "mid-life" and yet The Banks is still not fully built out and what tenants are there, are... well it's hit and miss. 

 

RFK stadium is still standing, and it was built 9 years before Riverfront.  It'll probably be demolished in 2020 or 2021, after roughly 70 years in a freeze/thaw climate similar to Cincinnati's.  The thought that Paul Brown (or Riverfront before it) could only physically survive for 30 years (Riverfront was financed with 40 year bonds) was propaganda put forth by team owners and their goons.  I remember when they pretended that the Riverfront stadium garage was damaged by the 1997 flood and the people swallowed it. 

 

The LA Memorial Coliseum is turning 100 in 2021 and the Rose Bowl in 2022.  Sure, those are in Southern California's weatherless climate, but Ohio Stadium and many other northern college football stadiums also date from the 1920s. 

Edited by jmecklenborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Yeah the old people and Republicans who live in Warren county aren't going to pay for a new $1 billion+ stadium.

 

I think people turn off their brains when it comes to sportsball. If one of our major league teams threaten to leave, people will insist that their elected officials move heaven and earth to keep them here. Any self-proclaimed fiscal conservatism will go out the window. Especially if NKY also flirts with the team and it starts a battle with Clermont, Warren, or Butler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell, Turner Field in Atlanta wasn't even old enough to drink before the Braves moved out. Globe Life Park for the Texas Rangers was a bit older before they decided to build a new one because they "needed" a roof and air condition. There's probably other examples but those are the first that come to mind. 

 

But as Cincy513 said, Bengals aren't going anywhere and unless they can trick Warren or Butler County to give them $1B they'll be renovating PBS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

 

RFK stadium is still standing, and it was built 9 years before Riverfront.  It'll probably be demolished in 2020 or 2021, after roughly 70 years in a freeze/thaw climate similar to Cincinnati's.  The thought that Paul Brown (or Riverfront before it) could only physically survive was propaganda put forth by team owners and their goons. 


No doubt, but that doesn't change the fact that the entity known as The Bengals view it as "mid-life" and could be looking to leave soon, before the entire development was seen through. Just for the record, I think there's better use for the land. 
 

2 minutes ago, taestell said:

 

I think people turn off their brains when it comes to sportsball. If one of our major league teams threaten to leave, people will insist that their elected officials move heaven and earth to keep them here. Any self-proclaimed fiscal conservatism will go out the window. Especially if NKY also flirts with the team and it starts a battle with Clermont, Warren, or Butler.


Normally I'd agree—look at the diverse range of politicians who supported (and opposed) FCC's new stadium—but I don't know if The Bengals could buy the kind of good will they had during their last stadium campaign (even with how bad the team was then). FCC was seen as a few things: a chance to embrace a sport on the rise, something with overwhelming fan support, re-affirmation that Cincinnati was/is a "major league" city, etc. The Reds are beloved, have a history tied to the city that goes well beyond sports, and they're generally good community partners. The Bengals...well...even once they got their new stadium, they've been bad on the field and continually seem to lack any awareness of community relations. It only gets worse ever year. I truly believe that if The Bengals threatened a movie, there'd be some people wanting to keep them, but I don't think they'd be embraced by a majority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cincydave8 said:

Hell, Turner Field in Atlanta wasn't even old enough to drink before the Braves moved out. Globe Life Park for the Texas Rangers was a bit older before they decided to build a new one because they "needed" a roof and air condition. There's probably other examples but those are the first that come to mind. 

 

But as Cincy513 said, Bengals aren't going anywhere and unless they can trick Warren or Butler County to give them $1B they'll be renovating PBS. 

 

Turner Field bums me out more than any of them. That stadium was truly great and had some great character/history (not to mention, since it was originally built to hold 100,000 people, all the concourses and areas were wide and never too crowded). Such a shame and sham that the Braves left. Thankfully, Turner still has life. Globe Life Park... I still can't believe that. And the original stadium is staying for the XFL team (until that league folds). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, taestell said:

MEMI's venue at The Banks is now officially known as The Andrew J. Brady Icon Music Center.

 

Well...actually... it's the "The Andrew J Brady ICON Music Center" (according to WCPO and Enquirer). I think we are supposed to SHOUT when we reach the "ICON" part of the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...or a condo tower in Nashville.


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, Gordon Bombay said:

 

Turner Field bums me out more than any of them. That stadium was truly great and had some great character/history (not to mention, since it was originally built to hold 100,000 people, all the concourses and areas were wide and never too crowded). Such a shame and sham that the Braves left. Thankfully, Turner still has life. Globe Life Park... I still can't believe that. And the original stadium is staying for the XFL team (until that league folds). 

The Georgia State Panthers are using old Turner field as their home stadium.

 

Olympics-> MLB -> Sun Belt Conference Football -> XFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

...or a condo tower in Nashville.

or a copier business in Cincinnati. It does not get any cooler than being named after a company where you can make photocopies of inanimate objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't see why not. The Theater at Madison Square seats roughly the same amount of people.


"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, snakebite said:

Hypothetically speaking, would the music venue be capable of hosting the NFL draft?


If we could land a NFL team in Cincinnati that would help our chances.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cincinnati's SkyStar wheel will be replaced

 

The current SkyStar wheel will close on March 2 and be replaced by a new, first-of-its-kind 180-foot high observation wheel about a year later.

 

“We have become part of the Hamilton County community,” said Todd Schneider, managing partner of SkyStar Wheel. “We look forward to being a more permanent fixture at the Banks.”

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/19/cincinnatis-skystar-wheel-will-be-replaced.html

 

image.php?type=thumbnail_1024x576&url=1f


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm disappointed on the 180 feet height.  That would put it 40 feet shorter than the Newport attraction.  When they first pitched the permanent wheel project, the height was to be 200 feet, a far better number.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Music Venue, Ferris wheel. Coming to the Banks in 2022 New World Class Aquarium.

 

It almost feels that city leaders are just trying to stick it to Newport for beating out the city in the late 90s and early 2000s with NOTL and Aquarium projects.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should do an air gondola that goes from lot 28 at the Banks (just south of music venue)  to the new IRS development in Covington. That way you would have a unique attraction that also could serve a transportation function 

  • Like 2

www.cincinnatiideas.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brian korte said:

Did I miss the announcement about an aquarium?

Since we apparently feel we need to do everything Newport does,, why not build our own Aquarium so people dont have to drive across the scary bridges into Kentucky. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:15 PM, Brutus_buckeye said:

Since we apparently feel we need to do everything Newport does,, why not build our own Aquarium so people dont have to drive across the scary bridges into Kentucky. 

Oh, now I understand. We absolutely should a build an aquarium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banks developers scouting for restaurant to fill high-profile site

Project aims to capitalize on riverfront music venue

 

Developers at The Banks are in expansion mode again.

 

Nicol Investments and Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate are talking with city officials about bringing a new restaurant tenant to what is now a 0.4 acre-parking lot at the corner of Freedom Way and Vine Street, said Banks spokeswoman Tracy Schwegmann. 

 

“We are actively looking to develop that space,” she said. “There’s room for a bit more capacity down there.”

 

Cont


"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its about time..and the almost-but-not-quite symmetry of the banks has always been one of my minor annoyances too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cygnus said:

Banks developers scouting for restaurant to fill high-profile site

Project aims to capitalize on riverfront music venue

 

Developers at The Banks are in expansion mode again.

 

Nicol Investments and Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate are talking with city officials about bringing a new restaurant tenant to what is now a 0.4 acre-parking lot at the corner of Freedom Way and Vine Street, said Banks spokeswoman Tracy Schwegmann. 

 

“We are actively looking to develop that space,” she said. “There’s room for a bit more capacity down there.”

 

Cont

Nice to see that parcel is going to be developed although I though sky star was going to take that whole section. I know there’s a burger place down there but I would love to see Shake shack open somewhere OTR/Downtown/Banks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The banks should try and steal one of the popular restaurants from Liberty center, specifically Northstar which is great. I would also like to see a stand alone Shake Shack, but BurgerFi might have something in their lease to block it. Not sure the rumored Giordano's makes sense anymore with pies & pints down the road but I hope something is built there by the time the new Ferris wheel is finished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ucgrady said:

The banks should try and steal one of the popular restaurants from Liberty center, specifically Northstar which is great. I would also like to see a stand alone Shake Shack, but BurgerFi might have something in their lease to block it. Not sure the rumored Giordano's makes sense anymore with pies & pints down the road but I hope something is built there by the time the new Ferris wheel is finished. 

Giordano's fell through because of pies and pints. They didnt want to invest in the banks with a competing pizza restaurant. Shack Shake can only come to the Banks if Burger Fi closes. Looking at what is being offered now, something along the lines of ethnic cuisine is missing from the Banks. I was thinking a nice hibachi grill is a family crowd pleaser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what else is a family crowd pleaser next to a ferris wheel?

 

e072629cf639f0ec8de6b015b4d63a5f.jpg

  • Haha 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

You know what else is a family crowd pleaser next to a ferris wheel?

 

e072629cf639f0ec8de6b015b4d63a5f.jpg

Can we do this but with a putt putt course on top? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...