Jump to content
Guest Anonymous

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cincydave8 said:

15 stories....does anyone know how tall the GE building is? 

 

I can't imagine it is taller then GE.  If I remember correctly the county had to get permission from the Bengals for the GE building b/c the HVAC on top of the building exceeded the height limit within the Banks zone.  

Maybe this changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 14Bremen said:

I can't imagine it is taller then GE.  If I remember correctly the county had to get permission from the Bengals for the GE building b/c the HVAC on top of the building exceeded the height limit within the Banks zone.  

Maybe this changed.

 

In one of Chris's tweets, he stated that this will be taller than GE, which I think is less than 15 stories.

 

The Bengals were probably worried about people being able to watch the games from the top floors of the GE building, which is an odd concern, but with this building being further away, that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by 10albersa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cincinnatus said:

They said on the radio it tops off at 235 ft.

Which is basically the same height as Encore. Anyone have the ability to do a mock up of the skyline with this building and all of the others in the works? (New convention hotel, fountain square, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

I would hope they would push to get this started quickly since it has been sitting empty for quite some time now. 

 

Yeah, almost 10 years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So, like the apartment buildings at The Banks, this office building will have two additional stories of above-ground parking above the underground parking garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, taestell said:

 

So, like the apartment buildings at The Banks, this office building will have two additional stories of above-ground parking above the underground parking garage.

Was about to do an urbanist freak-out over this too but then I thought that 90 spots isn’t really that much for a building of this size and square footage. Could this be considered parking-lite?


www.cincinnatiideas.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone do a mock up rendering with the addition of the 235 feet office building and the music venue...I also know that the new Skystar will reach above 200 feet as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$90 million office tower planned for the Banks: PHOTOS

By Chris Wetterich  – Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier

 

56b9fbdc-ebef-45c5-98f6-c3a02d7f598c-IMG

 

Chicago-based Lincoln Property Company plans to build a $90 million office tower on a long-vacant parcel of the Banks at 180 Walnut St., which officials say will inject more people on a daily basis into the riverfront mixed-use project.

 

The tower will be 235 feet tall with 15 stories – 11 of them office space – two floors of parking, one floor of retail/restaurant and a top-floor amenity area.

 

a few new details and renderings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completion date set for Banks music venue despite indecision on Hilltop move

 

The developer of the proposed music venue at the Banks said Tuesday that it could be completed by October 2020, making the timeline competitive with a rival Newport project, but there is no agreement yet to move a concrete plant that is a key piece of the complex deal.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/07/30/completion-date-set-for-banks-music-venue-despite.html

 

746622912.jpg

  • Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jjakucyk said:

Signage brand signage is the best signage that signage can sign.  

Sign me up!


“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Since the showboat majestic is no longer on the riverfront will we ever see that horrible parking lot tuned into an extension of the park?

 

I believe you are referring to the Public Landing; not to say it couldn't be greatly improved, but it has its own set of deed/use restrictions.  This article explains some of the history.

 

Our history: Public Landing triggered disputes from the start

Jeff Suess, jsuess@cincinnati.comPublished 3:07 p.m. ET Sept. 20, 2017

 

Since the city’s beginning, the Public Landing was meant for everyone to use, but that has been the subject of several disputes.

The landing was the site where the first settlers pulled ashore on Dec. 28, 1788, at a small cove at the foot of what would become Sycamore Street.

Israel Ludlow, one of the founders, laid out the first plat of Cincinnati (then called Losantiville). The plat was completed a few days later on Jan. 7, but not recorded until required by law on April 29, 1802, according to “History of Cincinnati, Ohio” by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford.

 

MORE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The_Cincinnati_Kid said:

 

I believe you are referring to the Public Landing; not to say it couldn't be greatly improved, but it has its own set of deed/use restrictions.  This article explains some of the history.

 

Our history: Public Landing triggered disputes from the start

Jeff Suess, jsuess@cincinnati.comPublished 3:07 p.m. ET Sept. 20, 2017

 

Since the city’s beginning, the Public Landing was meant for everyone to use, but that has been the subject of several disputes.

The landing was the site where the first settlers pulled ashore on Dec. 28, 1788, at a small cove at the foot of what would become Sycamore Street.

Israel Ludlow, one of the founders, laid out the first plat of Cincinnati (then called Losantiville). The plat was completed a few days later on Jan. 7, but not recorded until required by law on April 29, 1802, according to “History of Cincinnati, Ohio” by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford.

 

MORE

 

Huh I've walked by that lot many times...you would think such a historically significant place would at least deserve some type of statue highlighting the history behind that parking lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The western portion with the old belgian block feels historic, the problem is the large part that was covered in asphalt. If the whole area was still stone and had some larger stone seating walls, plantings and even a dock to tie up a few boats (where the majestic is/was) it would be a great place with nod to the history as well.

 

Whether it's placed at Smale or in this location I really want Cincinnati to have a boat dock again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are, but the water has to be the exact right height and you have to have plenty of bumpers on board since you risk hitting a concrete structure. Something simple and cheap like the wood dock attached to the Hooters barge would be great, because it needs to float to move with the water level.

 

I feel like putting a wooden dock in the Majestic's former location and re-using a lot of the anchor points and tie offs to shore would make the public landing a lot more of a 'public landing' and would probably be easier to pull off (read less expensive) than the proposed dock at Smale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the serpentine wall is that it's only really usable when the river is at pool stage.  It only needs to get maybe two or three feet higher before it covers that lower level and then your tiedowns are underwater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The public landing is a landing -- not so much a place to dock overnight.  There is often a lot that goes on there over the course of 24 hours but the boats only land for a few minutes.  For example, B&B Riverboats sometimes runs charters that pick up their passengers at the landing rather than in Newport.  

 

About five years ago my grandmother was down at the Showboat Majestic and some other old lady fell on the cobbles and broker her arm.  Anyone who has taken old people on errands knows that falls can happen at anywhere at any time, but I'm sure that over the years at least 1 old person fell going to or from that place per year.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seaswan said:

Do they mention anything about the construction start date? I know they said in 2020 but since it’s moving along quickly that maybe it could start even earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what is going in at the only un-leased space at phase 1? it is the back corner across from yard house? the space appears to be built out but there is nothing inside. Almost looks like an event space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jmblec2 said:

Does anyone know what is going in at the only un-leased space at phase 1? it is the back corner across from yard house? the space appears to be built out but there is nothing inside. Almost looks like an event space. 

 

Open concept venue for different forms of art and events. 

 

http://thebankscincy.com/attractions/sample-space-the-banks-coming-soon/

 

https://www.sample-space.com/

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why it's taken so long to built out the 2nd restaurant pad (across from yard house?).

 

Is it because they can't find any restaurant tenant that wants to locate there? Or is it just not a priority right now? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, troeros said:

Does anyone know why it's taken so long to built out the 2nd restaurant pad (across from yard house?).

 

Is it because they can't find any restaurant tenant that wants to locate there? Or is it just not a priority right now? 

 

 

Giordanos was going to open a location there a year after yard house. I wont mention names, but someone made a bone head move and signed Pies and Pints lease agreement a couple months after Giordanos letter of intent. Once they heard another pizza place was going to open at the Banks they pulled out. Beyond that i dont believe they have been aggressive with that pad at the banks. Its acting as a flex space for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

 

Giordanos was going to open a location there a year after yard house. I wont mention names, but someone made a bone head move and signed Pies and Pints lease agreement a couple months after Giordanos letter of intent. Once they heard another pizza place was going to open at the Banks they pulled out. Beyond that i dont believe they have been aggressive with that pad at the banks. Its acting as a flex space for now. 

 

What a bummer. Not heard good things about Pies and Pints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tonyt3524 said:

 

What a bummer. Not heard good things about Pies and Pints.

 

Its managed and run poorly. I am surprised its lasted this long. Out of the four visits i have made there since opening only paid once. Kitchen or server has messed up so badly manager has always comped our meal. I don't even get angry or upset, the manager just seems to realize its on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

 

Its managed and run poorly. I am surprised its lasted this long. Out of the four visits i have made there since opening only paid once. Kitchen or server has messed up so badly manager has always comped our meal. I don't even get angry or upset, the manager just seems to realize its on them. 

 

That's surprising. I've been there 5 times and had good experiences every time. Good food, good beer, good service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wary on pizza shops in general. I'm sort of happy Giordanos didn't take that pad. For me, Giordanos belongs somewhere along Court St or OTR. A smaller-mid sized location, not a prominent Banks location. 

 

That banks pad imo is an attractive location considering it's next to the ballparks, the river, smale park, etc. I personally prefer to have restaurants that serve a variety of food on their menu. I know cheese cake gets made fun of alot here, but they are popular because there they have a variety of food that's decent to good, a good (albeit expensive) cocktail menu, and their cheese cake is good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...