Guest Anonymous

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

Council votes on Banks music venue, radio center

Screen-Shot-2019-04-16-at-10.21.10-AM-co

After months of consideration and negotiation, the Cincinnati City Council on Wednesday approved a plan to finance the construction of the garages needed to build a music venue at the Banks.

Under the deal, Hamilton County will pay for the construction of the garages, the cost of which is usually split 50-50, and the city will pay back the county later. More details can be found here.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/17/council-votes-on-banks-music-venue-radio-center.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Company ready to move for music venue but needs new location 

The current plan to build a music venue at the Banks isn’t the first time Hilltop Companies has been asked to move its concrete and gravel plant around Cincinnati’s riverfront.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/22/company-ready-to-move-for-music-venue-but-needs.html

28911775001_5800421482001_5799445293001-

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Hilltop proposes solution to clear way for Banks music venue

Hilltop Companies proposed a new riverfront location on Tuesday for its concrete plant, storage area and barge terminal so that it can move from its current site just south of Paul Brown Stadium.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/30/hilltop-proposes-solution-to-clear-way-for-banks.html

banksmusicvenuedaytime*1200xx1042-586-15

Hamilton County commissioner: ‘Totally committed’ to music venue at the Banks

banksmusicvenuenight*750xx926-521-60-0.p

Shortly after Corporex Cos. LLC, AEG Presents and PromoWest announced they will be building a $40 million indoor/outdoor music venue at the Ovation site in Newport, Hamilton County officials assured they still plan to move forward with a music venue at the Banks.

Hamilton County Commission President Denise Driehaus released a statement that says “we are totally committed to moving forward on the music venue at the Banks.”

“The venue fills a niche in our market, bringing hundreds of thousands of visitors each year who will patronize the retailers and restaurants at the Banks. An additional venue in Newport does not change our plans.”

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/09/hamilton-county-commissioner-totally-committed-to.html

City rejects Hilltop solution on Banks music venue

BanksMusicVenue.png

The city of Cincinnati has rejected a proposal by Hilltop Companies that would move its concrete plant, storage area and barge terminal from its current site just south of Paul Brown Stadium, allowing Hamilton County to build a parking lot there, which would make way for a music venue at the Banks.

The county needs to build a parking lot at Hilltop’s current site to allow for space for Cincinnati Bengals tailgating, so the music venue can be built on a current, surface parking lot adjacent to the stadium, under a county agreement with the Bengals.

On April 30, Hilltop proposed the city convey up to 14 acres of riverfront property south of Mehring Way and east of Gest Street currently leased to Cincinnati Bulk Terminals to Hilltop. If Hilltop had that 14 acres along the riverfront, it could build its concrete plant, storage facility and loading terminal all in one spot. If it got 10 acres, it would locate the plant along Mehring Way and Freeman Avenue south of West Sixth Street.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/20/city-rejects-hilltop-solution-on-banks-music-venue.html

That space always struck me as a good place to put a fancy cafe with some outdoor dining overlooking the Schmidlapp Event Lawn. Puzzling that it's been vacant since the building was built.

• Like 1

Considering that space has never been filled I would hope the rent has been dropped to entice someone.  A business paying 70% of the old asking price is better then no business.  

I'm surprised Cranley didn't ask them to explicitly set this stuff up along Main instead just to block the streetcar. 

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

12 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

https://local12.com/news/local/hamilton-county-working-to-keep-skystar-wheel-here-for-up-to-10-years

Actually excited for this. For some reason something tells me skywheel newport will not happen. 

Is it sad that the thought of Skystar leaving our skyline would upset me more than the hudepohl smoke stack/brewery being demolished?

The ferris wheel adds flair to our skyline and makes our city look modern at first glance. It just fits so we'll with our skyline that it would feel awkward to see it leave.

That's the real problem.  The block of the banks that is wasted with a grass lawn, and a dumb, "sing the city" or whatever that sign is.  Combined with how closed off and removed from the street the freedom center is, you end up with a block wide gap separating phase 1 of the banks from phase 2

I believe that area was left open so that the freedom center could have a clear view of the river.  Pretty dumb imo but that's what I had heard.  I'm sure the freedom center didn't care about a temporary ferris wheel going there but I'll be interested if they are ok with it staying for 10 years, or if they even have a say anymore.  

If the ferris wheel does stay hopefully they do some work around that area to make it look nicer.  Right now it looks very temporary.  

The slightly funny matter is that if you've ever been on the Skystar you'll notice that the views kinda suck because there is not much to look at on the KY side. 

But the ferris whell structure itself makes our skyline spark so much that you can omit the fact that the ferris wheel in it's functionality is kinda 'meh"

I can't imagine that NURFC is mad about lines of people in front of their building waiting for a Ferris Wheel ride. I imagine they see it as an opportunity to get folks in the door who otherwise would not visit. It is an incredibly dense museum, with a lot of reading required (one of its shortcomings, IMO), but worth visiting multiple times. 

I've said it before, if Skystar is going to be permanent, then it needs to be situated within a constructed landscape that integrates with the rest of Smale/Banks. It cannot look like a carnival ride that just pulled up a week ago.

Further, I think a wheel in Newport would still be successful. Just like the music venues: build them both.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 10albersa said:

Something better has got to go there besides the lawn and wheel.  We will look so dumb having two ferris wheels on the river.

People can start factions and shoot at each other from the wheels though. Like Command and Conquer or something

8 minutes ago, Chas Wiederhold said:

I can't imagine that NURFC is mad about lines of people in front of their building waiting for a Ferris Wheel ride. I imagine they see it as an opportunity to get folks in the door who otherwise would not visit. It is an incredibly dense museum, with a lot of reading required (one of its shortcomings, IMO), but worth visiting multiple times. 

I've said it before, if Skystar is going to be permanent, then it needs to be situated within a constructed landscape that integrates with the rest of Smale/Banks. It cannot look like a carnival ride that just pulled up a week ago.

Further, I think a wheel in Newport would still be successful. Just like the music venues: build them both.

It brings alot of tourists from the outside region to for whatever reason. 

Also you see alot ethnic families taking rides..it's an interesting mix.

not to be this guy... but also to be this guy... all families are ethnic. All else aside, I agree with you... there is tremendous diversity down at the Ferris Wheel. It's the Coca Cola of public attractions in this city right now.

Skystar just announced that they are staying permenantly at the banks on Facebook. 

Glad Hamilton Co. Got a deal done. This makes our skyline to attractive and sexy!

Great news! Something tells me either the city doesn’t think the Newport skywheel will get built or the plans for it will fall apart since sky star is staying. Is there any word on it? I have not heard anything about construction.

so, lawyers, architects, designers, developers fight over every tit and tattle that goes at the banks. But, this carnival ride gets a high five. 

2 hours ago, RJohnson said:

so, lawyers, architects, designers, developers fight over every tit and tattle that goes at the banks. But, this carnival ride gets a high five. 

I don't think anyone expected this to be as popular and visually stunning for our skyline than anyone can have predicted. I'm happy Skystar reached an agreement quickly.

Like mentioned before, hopefully they do some work around it to make it more appealing at ground level.

Edited by tonyt3524
  • Like 1

I read yesterday that City Council approved an expansion of Smale Park.  Are they adding more space at the Bengals lot on the river, adding in docks/piers? The Smale master plan has both of those things, but the Council minutes didn't mention what they planned on doing.

1 hour ago, tonyt3524 said:

Like mentioned before, hopefully they do some work around it to make it more appealing at ground level.

What would be a cool idea imo would be to create a platform that includes the area behind the sky star and build a small cafe or bistro on it and name if after the sky star. Sky star cafe or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

What would be a cool idea imo would be to create a platform that includes the area behind the sky star and build a small cafe or bistro on it and name if after the sky star. Sky star cafe or something like that. 

Hell just put pour'd concrete pads in front, couple planter beds with some lighting, dress the area up so it doesn't look like hillbilly carnival land...

• Like 2

This article seems to imply that they will make some improvements, including the replacement of the temporary wheel with a permanent one.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/downtown/skystar-wheel-a-permanent-part-of-the-cincinnati-skyline

I hope if it's a new wheel its at least as big as the one Newport is working on.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

The current wheel looks like it had been storage at the Meigs County Fairgrounds since 1981 before they dusted it off for its big gig in Cincinnati.

When The Banks was planned in the late 90s, the London Eye wasn't yet a thing.  According to Wikipedia, it is the most popular paid tourist attraction in the UK:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Eye

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rabbit Hash said:

Sorry. This just seems like another half-hearted "that's so Cincinnati" concept. Like an above-ground pool.

Agreed. Let Newport have this, I say. I'd also be pissed if I was connected to the Freedom Center. We're putting a garish carnival attraction in front of a museum about slavery and freedom. Oy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Hash said:

Sorry. This just seems like another half-hearted "that's so Cincinnati" concept. Like an above-ground pool.

Am I personally going to ride it?  No I haven't and likely won't.  But it has almost a years worth of data that show it's brought in additional money to the city/county and helped the restaurants at the banks.  Even the freedom center has been quoted as saying they like the ferris wheel as it's increased their attendance.  Plus it looks cool at night.  

But yeah lets continue to hate on something that actually brings people downtown...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, edale said:

Agreed. Let Newport have this, I say. I'd also be pissed if I was connected to the Freedom Center. We're putting a garish carnival attraction in front of a museum about slavery and freedom. Oy.

Freedom center officials have gone on record saying they are pleased with the ferris wheel and the amount of new foot traffic it has brought to the center.

Second, rumors regarding the deal have said that the ferris wheel will move to a different location at the banks with a more permenant looking structure. 

Finally, almost every major city has a ferris wheel in their downtown core. Is it kinda tacky? Sure... But you can't deny that it's a thing that tourists love riding along with the extra foot traffic it has brought to the banks 

43 minutes ago, troeros said:

Freedom center officials have gone on record saying they are pleased with the ferris wheel and the amount of new foot traffic it has brought to the center.

Second, rumors regarding the deal have said that the ferris wheel will move to a different location at the banks with a more permenant looking structure. 

Finally, almost every major city has a ferris wheel in their downtown core. Is it kinda tacky? Sure... But you can't deny that it's a thing that tourists love riding along with the extra foot traffic it has brought to the banks 

Where else could it go? I think the spot it is currently in is best. 

The banks sort of remind me of Kenwood mall. Kinda glitzy and kinda touristy.

With the ferris wheel, music venue, and future improvements to smale park and the continuation of development for the rest of the lots, you can't help but get the impression that the banks could be the perfect place for a liberty township esq type of mall with a movie theater, retail, comedy club, etc similar to what liberty has at their mall.

1 hour ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

Where else could it go? I think the spot it is currently in is best. 

Agreed, its pretty much front and center, in a spot that otherwise is awkwardly small