Guest Anonymous

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

I wouldn't. Spreading uses around is super important to creating 24/7 activity, especially in a place like The Banks. Office users occupy during the day, residents during the evenings. Separation of uses is a huge part of why suburbia is often so sterile even when it's dense suburbia and The Banks needs to make sure it doesn't just become a dense bedroom neighborhood of Downtown.

Another "@' name....

New name, new manager for latest apartment project at Banks

Jun 12, 2015, 10:54am EDT 

Andy Brownfield 

Cincinnati Business Courier

The apartments under construction at the Banks have been given a name appropriate to their location, and people will soon be able to start pre-leasing to live there.

The apartments are named Radius for their proximity to Cincinnati's urban core, and pre-leasing will begin in August, the master development team of Carter and Nicol Investment Co. announced Friday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/06/12/new-name-new-manager-for-latest-apartment-project.html

Does anyone else just love the Mr. Red hat/mustache on 312 Walnut?  I do.

yes

I feel like I'm the only person who finds it awful. It's the architectural equivalent of a face tattoo.

Yet another cheesy establishment at The Banks Phase 1.

I feel like owners are going hardcore for the "family who's just here for a reds game" market.

They make a LOT of money serving to that market.

Holy Grail is more of a bar than a family restaurant, so I don't think you can say they make a lot of money serving families. I just think that's what they're gunning for with their very benign Italian concept.

^ Potential news headline could have been: "Locally owned Olive Garden Concept Opens at the Banks"

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Holy Grail is more of a bar than a family restaurant, so I don't think you can say they make a lot of money serving families. I just think that's what they're gunning for with their very benign Italian concept.

Maybe I should have just said they make a LOT of money...Until the Banks is fully built out I can't really blame anyone for going after the family/Reds game market. There isn't quite enough activity yet on non-Reds days. GE is a great start in the right direction.

Maybe I should have just said they make a LOT of money...Until the Banks is fully built out I can't really blame anyone for going after the family/Reds game market. There isn't quite enough activity yet on non-Reds days. GE is a great start in the right direction.

I don't blame them at all. The important thing about The Banks is they got the street grid and park right. People can knock themselves out chasing whatever market demand they think is there. America at its (actual) finest.

About an hour after the Reds game yesterday two large semis that said Lyon Video pulled into The Banks. I assumed they were carrying the new screen. It will probably be pretty crazy at The Banks for the All Star Game.

Also, this will be a permanent video board. I like it.

I don't think they have anything to do with the video board...I don't think.  I think they are a production truck contractor for networks.  So they'd be providing the video, etc. for FOX. (?)

Weird coincidence then, I guess. I thought about posting that I saw the trucks and I would guess the screen is being installed this week. Then the post came that they were being installed, so I assumed I was right.

Looking at their website, yeah, it doesn't seem to be related. Weird.

The office tower would be built on the remaining vacant lot at Phase 1 by the whistling batter mural. If the developer does not break ground on that tower soon, they will lose the development rights and the city may potentially give it to another developer. There is not a tenant in mind yet, and there was some speculation that the developer might just build it anyway (hence "spec tower"), but the developer also mentioned that they would like to find a tenant prior to building it. So, no one really knows what's going on yet.

^There should be an announcement soon but I don't know anything for sure.  I also found it amusing the use the phrase "break ground" on these pedestal projects.

I would assume the spec tower will be just as tall, if not a bit taller.  Who knows?

I also noticed this weekend that they have made significant progress with the glass skin hardware and have started putting in the glass on the ground floor of the GE building.

The spec tower is tentatively planned at around 15 stories or so. So it'll have some decent height to it. Taller than anything else in The Banks.

The spec tower is tentatively planned at around 15 stories or so. So it'll have some decent height to it. Taller than anything else in The Banks.

Nice.  Didn't realize it was that tall.

http://www.180walnut.com/index.html

That's the site set up for the generic building. If you go to the "facts and stats" section you can see a rendering of the building from the ground.

Unless they find a tenant that wants something more personalized we'll likely get a variation of this building.

The rendering appears to show a 14-story building, but the "Facts & Stats" page says it is only 10 stories... not sure if there are any height restrictions on this parcel.

sideimage-facts.jpg

I'm almost certain there are but I think they are not as stringent as the blocks to the south and to the west.  I seem to recall that interested parties had stricter height restrictions written in for west of Vine.  Making this up???

That sounds correct.

I believe the height limit here is more a factor of the structure of the garage underneath and not a strict height limit. And I believe it came out to about a quarter of a million square feet of buildable space would be capable with the structure which equated to about 15 or so stories at the max.

But based on their stats page it sounds like they're thinking about a building that would be full lot floor plates all the way up which could happen. But a slight setback along one or more sides could reduce the square footage of each floor bringing the tower higher.

But if it's built on spec expect the shortest option possible. Reduction in costs without an actual tenant will be sought.

It's really good to see that they're already beginning the next phase before Phase II has even completed. Reducing the time period between phases will really help that area.

It is great they are starting soon. But how can this $4M prep-work project take until 4th quarter 2016 to be finished? Or is that including the entire garage buildout that is something around $20M?

They're stating the garage platform will be finished by then. Meaning construction on the next phase of apartments/reatil/offices/etc. could theoretically begin at the end of next year.

This may be overly optimistic but I think by the time the developer portion of Phase III begins in late 2016 we'll have every component of Phase 1 either completed (the AC hotel) or under construction (180 Walnut).

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche