Guest Anonymous

Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

I wouldn't mind a few more super cheap places downtown.  There are only a handful of places where lunch can be had for less than about $6.

I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of an Imbiss that serves German doner kebabs somewhere downtown or anywhere else in the region for that matter. 

http://theeatenpath.com/2010/05/24/dino-imbiss-doner-kebab-bonner-talweg-37-bonn-germany/

German doner kebabs....OMG. The most incredible thing after leaving a club in Berlin at 7AM as the sun comes up.....oh memories.....

If we're going to get a west coast burger chain here, I'd prefer In-N-Out.

I second that.  I lived in L.A.  In-N-Out is literally the best burger joint of the West.  Best Drive-thru burger joint also.  That could be a very fun spot.

While most would agree that an In-N-Out would be the No. 1 choice, it's a fantasy. It took the stars to align absolutely perfectly and they still had to bend over backward just to agree to move into the Dallas market.

Cincinnati might as well be in Scotland for all they're concerned. Not happening.

While most would agree that an In-N-Out would be the No. 1 choice, it's a fantasy. It took the stars to align absolutely perfectly and they still had to bend over backward just to agree to move into the Dallas market.

Cincinnati might as well be in Scotland for all they're concerned. Not happening.

Then again, there's one in Centerville, Utah.

^ Centerville UT is not BFE. It's one of the wealthiest suburbs of already wealthy Salt Lake City.  Additionally, it's a 12 hour drive from the CA In n Out distribution plant. The only reason they moved to Texas was because they agreed to build a whole knew distribution plant outside of Dallas. 

RockyMountainHigh is right. 0 chance. Sigh...

So back to the emergency beacons- that's really disappointing. They put a police station in the Banks, there is no crime down there, and they want to add emergency things like you'd have on a college campus?!

^Anyone know where they're going?  That pedestrian bridge isn't really at "The Banks", so maybe these won't be either.  If they're putting those emergency lines under the overpasses or on the bridges, that would make more sense than on the streets of The Banks.  I have a friend who walks the suspension bridge to/from work each day, and she has been accosted several times over the last few years and always carries mace because of this.  So unsightly as they are, they might actually serve a purpose.

So back to the emergency beacons- that's really disappointing. They put a police station in the Banks, there is no crime down there, and they want to add emergency things like you'd have on a college campus?!

There has been a real problem with car break-ins on the street, just an FYI.

^On Freedom Way between Main and Walnut??

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

The media totally missed this, because nobody in our media ever goes for a walk, but the riverfront homeless tent village was bulldozed about four months ago.  It looked like 20 or more people were living down there at any given time, and I have no doubt that it was the source of some of these problems. 

The Banks hit rock bottom in 2008, right before construction began, when some guys took up residence in a tent along the retaining wall where the pad for the office tower is now.  The brush and even a weedy tree had gotten so tall that, again, nobody in the media noticed or else they would have turned it into a big dust-up.

It looked like 20 or more people were living down there at any given time, and I have no doubt that it was the sorce of some of these problems. 

Anecdotally, it was.  Of the several incidents I was made aware of, all of them were the same few homeless people loitering around the bridge every day.  Glad to hear that the tent village is finally gone.

^On Freedom Way between Main and Walnut??

Not sure of the exact street names down there. But it has been an issue for people living in the apartments, who park on the various streets down there. It even happend right in front of that little police station.

It here are more car break ins in OTR and downtown than around the Banks. Plus. Unless people are literally watching those and not being able to call 911 on their cell phone, not sure what benefit these things will have on combatting car breakins

There are, incidentally, a lot of cars and trucks being stripped in the West Chester industrial parks.  Many warehouses are having the catalytic converters ripped out from under their delivery trucks and vans, and cars left overnight (often by salesmen) are getting hit.  Enquirer is not covering this.

I believe the safety beacon things, or whatever they are, are actually for the underground parking garage. You have to keep in mind that Hamilton County doesn't control anything at street-level. I believe that the security investment is actually to put those phone boxes and what not down inside the garage. A significant amount of that money will also not be for security-related measures at all and will actually go to manage traffic into and out of the Central Riverfront Parking Garage.

>There are, incidentally, a lot of cars and trucks being stripped in the West Chester industrial parks.  Many warehouses are having the catalytic converters ripped out from under their delivery trucks and vans, and cars left overnight (often by salesmen) are getting hit.  Enquirer is not covering this<

Columbus media focuses on suburban/exurban crime much more than even two years ago because they've found out that there's a lot of it and it sells papers/gets ratings. Sounds like Cincy isn't doing that yet.

This is not where I expected Orange Leaf to be setting up shop...

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

If The Banks came in under budget, for the love of god use that money to make the next phase fancier than cinderblock and vinyl siding.

I don't care who's money it actually is, just give me some nicer buildings.

+1

The public likes and is jaded with mundane architecture.  There's only a small portion of the Cincinnati population that could probably visually handle new stimulating architecture. 

I predict this is just step one of the transition.  In 5 years I think we'll see mainstream museum exhibits at the Freedom Center building and the Freedom Center stuff relegated to one corner of that building. 

Someone on Twitter suggested that the current NURFC building would be a great home to some of the exhibits from the Cincinnati History Museum. It would make sense for that location.

If The Banks came in under budget, for the love of god use that money to make the next phase fancier than cinderblock and vinyl siding.

I don't care who's money it actually is, just give me some nicer buildings.

+1

+2

The museum isn't empty. It's quite full actually.

The exhibits are so spread out and there is really a lot of wated space in the building.  It's also difficult to get a sense for how you are supposed to proceed through the different exhibits.  The 3 times I've been there it's been virtually empty so it's not like you can really see where other people are going.  There are some really great exhibits, but I think maybe the entire West wing could be vacated for different museum space.  It would be really cool if the big travelling exhibitions that come through Union Terminal were instead moved to part of a reconfigured Freedom Center, leaving all that basement space for the existing museums there to expand.  The Natural History museum is also desperately in need of an update...but that's a whole different topic.

The museum isn't empty. It's quite full actually.

The exhibits are so spread out and there is really a lot of wated space in the building.  It's also difficult to get a sense for how you are supposed to proceed through the different exhibits.  The 3 times I've been there it's been virtually empty so it's not like you can really see where other people are going.  There are some really great exhibits, but I think maybe the entire West wing could be vacated for different museum space.  It would be really cool if the big travelling exhibitions that come through Union Terminal were instead moved to part of a reconfigured Freedom Center, leaving all that basement space for the existing museums there to expand.  The Natural History museum is also desperately in need of an update...but that's a whole different topic.

I still think the Freedom Center building would make a great Union Terminal.  It's a great entrance to the city and is literally connected to the RTC.  Streetcar, Commuter Rail and 3C line all coming together at the Banks would be fantastic.  Not quite sure how Amtrak can get down there without building a new bridge, but the space is perfect for a new grand entrance to the city.  CUT seems to work very well as a museum, and with the loss of the West End, it's not connected to transit in the rest of the city anymore.

This would be great.  The Covington shoreline is an eyesore.  It wouldnt take much to really improve it.  Just put some retaining walls and city parks at the waters edge and the riverfront would look very nice.  It is strange that this hasnt been done yet considering the nice properties on Riverside Dr. in Covington.

In my dreams, I've envisioned Covington and Newport to one day resemble the lost development of Newport's "Ovation," but on a grander scale that would rival Cincinnati's skyline (minus the sports venues).  That is, 35-45 story office and residential towers, etc.  Can you just imagine cruising down the Ohio River between a canyon of buildings on both sides? (Yeah--maybe in 2085, maybe in 2125, maybe never--who knows?)