Cincinnati: Downtown: The Banks

Guest Anonymous

3 hours ago, ucgrady said:

The banks should try and steal one of the popular restaurants from Liberty center, specifically Northstar which is great. I would also like to see a stand alone Shake Shack, but BurgerFi might have something in their lease to block it. Not sure the rumored Giordano's makes sense anymore with pies & pints down the road but I hope something is built there by the time the new Ferris wheel is finished. 

Giordano's fell through because of pies and pints. They didnt want to invest in the banks with a competing pizza restaurant. Shack Shake can only come to the Banks if Burger Fi closes. Looking at what is being offered now, something along the lines of ethnic cuisine is missing from the Banks. I was thinking a nice hibachi grill is a family crowd pleaser. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, 646empire said:

Would this be the empty lot/restaurant pad? If so thats great news!

Looks like it, yes. the article mentions that per the development plan they could built an up to 1 story 7,642 sqft restaurant on that site, basically mirroring Yard House. The smell of roasting BBQ will surely bring some people in from the park and the Ferris wheel, and while it's a Nashville based restaurant something about a place that specializes in pit-firing whole hogs seems right at home in porkopolis. 

3 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Looks like it, yes. the article mentions that per the development plan they could built an up to 1 story 7,642 sqft restaurant on that site, basically mirroring Yard House. The smell of roasting BBQ will surely bring some people in from the park and the Ferris wheel, and while it's a Nashville based restaurant something about a place that specializes in pit-firing whole hogs seems right at home in porkopolis. 

Agreed! This would be a fantastic addition. I’m hoping construction of the new Ferris wheel doesn’t get delayed and opens on schedule next spring. All this plus the Icon Music Center represents a big boost down there.

Guest jmecklenborg

We're going to have a BBQ "Joint" to go with our Live Music "Joint".  Not to be confused with our u/c live music "venue".  

outside-sign-for-tin.jpg

8 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

We're going to have a BBQ "Joint" to go with our Live Music "Joint".  Not to be confused with our u/c live music "venue".  

And both are from Nashville, your favorite city in America!

12 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

And both are from Nashville, your favorite city in America!

It's going to be a little SoBro at the Banks! ??

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

On 5/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, Ucgrad2015 said:

Is there any news on the office building proposed for the banks At 180 Walnut? I remember the story coming out last summer but have not heard anything since then. 

Also curious about this. 

1 hour ago, snakebite said:

Also curious about this. 

I can’t see why anyone would invest in commercial real estate right now. I’d guess it would have to either be converted to residential or else scrapped entirely:

Guest jmecklenborg
5 hours ago, JYP said:

It's going to be a little SoBro at the Banks! ??

SoFree = South of Freedom Way

On 5/15/2020 at 1:33 PM, 646empire said:

Looks like the courier did more digging the Martin BBQ chain has decided against the Cincinnati expansion. So back to square one again...

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions about the parking lots at the Banks. 1. I may have missed it when talks about the music venue we’re going on but why wasn't the lot (circled in photo) part of the deal for the garage? I feel it’s going to look strange having this small open space between the streets. 2. Same sort of garage question but for the part that is northeast of the music venue, is there a reason why it’s not built all the way to the road? It kind of reminds me the way the kenwood collection was years ago as a unfinished Rusting shell. 

A1F6CB61-D608-4ECF-9C82-F54EC3C4546C.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

At tense hearing, Cranley, lawyers claim county’s Banks deal blocks future riverfront development

Mayor John Cranley launched an all-out assault Tuesday night on Hamilton County’s agreement with the Cincinnati Bengals, which is designed to advance the next phase of the Banks by moving Hilltop Companies and building a music venue just east of Paul Brown Stadium.

At a meeting of the City Council’s Economic Growth & Zoning Committee, which started at 6:30 p.m. and stretched for another three hours, Cranley attempted to conduct a combative interrogation of Tom Gabelman, the county’s legal adviser on the Banks mixed-use riverfront development.

The spectacle came minutes after Cranley released a memo signed by City SolicitorPaula Boggs Muething and Deputy Solicitor Luke Blocher. The memo alleged that the county’s November memorandum of understanding with the Bengals to relieve taxpayers of nearly $30 million in game day payments and millions in future enhancements to the stadium under the team’s lease would block development on three Banks parcels because of its surface parking requirements.

The city’s legal analysis of the deal says that the county’s deal with the Bengals requires 3,200 surface parking spaces on game days with about 2,300 available at the Hilltop site and south of the stadium. Other city surface lots being used nearby could be redeveloped, according to the analysis, leaving the county short. If it is, the county would need surface spaces on three other undeveloped Banks parking lots near Paul Brown Stadium, meaning those lots could not be redeveloped, the memo alleges.

Gabelman said the city’s analysis is inaccurate, although he did not get into specifics, and that the Bengals could be saving the county up to $200 million – the game day payments plus any renovations the Bengals could demand under the lease – as a result of the pact approved by the commissioners. Renovations of 23 existing NFL stadia have cost an average of $160 million with the last five costing $360 million, Gabelman said. The county-Bengals deal caps capital improvements at the stadium at $42 million through 2026.

“All of that could have been on the county taxpayers’ back,” Gabelman told theBusiness Courier after the meeting. Discussions of changes to Paul Brown Stadium have been put off until 2024 under the deal.

Full article below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/06/22/at-tense-hearing-cranley-lawyers-claim-county-s.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Gabelman said the city’s analysis is inaccurate, although he did not get into specifics

this is at least the second time they’ve had this discussion in public and the county still has not explained why the city’s math regarding the number of surface parking spaces is inaccurate. 

EDIT: That looks like an old article reposted by mistake with 6/22/2020 date? It mentions Councilwoman Amy Murray. Also I remember parts of it (the Wetterich no relation comment.)  I don’t think anything is going on right now except the big budget discussion. 

Edited by thebillshark
  • Like 1

www.cincinnatiideas.com

I think we'll be back to normal football games next year.  Once the vaccine comes, which should be next spring/summer, sports leagues are going to want fans back at their stadiums so they can make money.  Some people are already wanting to go to games and it's June of 2020.  2021 is a long ways away.  

But I do agree the crying over parking spaces is ridiculous.  If the Bengals wanted a bunch of tailgate spots they should have built their stadium in the middle of nowhere and not downtown.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

If the Bengals wanted a bunch of tailgate spots they should have built their stadium in the middle of nowhere and not downtown.  

Right, and they have had a seat on the Banks steering committee for years, which has always had a vision of filling in the area between the stadiums with mixed use development. 

I just don’t know why they would want the area around their stadium to look perpetually unfinished. That’s what it looks like and there’s no other way to spin it.

• Like 1

www.cincinnatiideas.com

3 minutes ago, thebillshark said:

I just don’t know why they would want the area around their stadium to look perpetually unfinished. That’s what it looks like and there’s no other way to spin it.

The inside of the stadium is drab and looks perpetually unfinished. Mike Brown doesn't care about what people think or how things look. 

• Like 2

Guest jmecklenborg

Paul and Mike Brown were/are simply way smarter dudes than the general population.  It took decades but they managed to obtain complete control of an NFL franchise with none of their own money.  The Browns own 99% of The Bengals.  

The parking lot issue is just a bargaining chip.  Mike Brown negotiated a masterful lease back in 1996 that gave him plenty of tools as the decades wore on to continue to negotiate for favorable conditions.  

We have a population that takes photos of themselves and their food in attempts to impress their similarly insecure peers.  Mike Brown doesn't care about any of that and he's a wealthy man because of it.  

43 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Paul and Mike Brown were/are simply way smarter dudes than the general population.  It took decades but they managed to obtain complete control of an NFL franchise with none of their own money.  The Browns own 99% of The Bengals.  

The parking lot issue is just a bargaining chip.  Mike Brown negotiated a masterful lease back in 1996 that gave him plenty of tools as the decades wore on to continue to negotiate for favorable conditions.  

We have a population that takes photos of themselves and their food in attempts to impress their similarly insecure peers.  Mike Brown doesn't care about any of that and he's a wealthy man because of it.  

Lol you're a riot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

This part is very true, much like the height restrictions and use restrictions on parcels. I think Mike Brown is better at real estate and development than football management, and it's not even close. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

Any news in the building planned at 180 Walnut St.? They said they wanted to get started this summer but haven’t heard any news since. 

Due to Covid and the unstable economy plus the desire of companies to cut back on spending I doubt they start on that building until at least 2022. The fact that the Fountain place project hasn't started after it seemed as tho they had a office tenant lined up and the fact that Macy’s is going to be vacating space in their 7th street HQ and moving to NYC I don’t think it’s looking good for any new office space downtown at this point.

Edited by 646empire

Friendly reminder to NEVER post any kind of paywall workarounds for media resources. Years ago, this forum was given a cease and desist by the eight largest newspapers in Ohio because forumers were posting entire articles, we shut the whole place down for two weeks to scrub every thread to be compliant. If it weren't for those efforts, the forum wouldn't be here for your enjoyment.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, jmecklenborg said:

If you have ever read the story about how they came to own all of the Bengals it is quite impressive. Certainly some luck came into play, but definitely shrewd business moves on the Brown family's part were important.

Considering when the Bengals started the Browns were only like 10% owners of the franchise and the NFL was still a fledgling enterprise far from what it is today and way behind MLB in popularity. Over the course of 25-30 years they were able to get control of the entire team and all of its shares is a phenomenal business story. 

1 hour ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/5444926002.

Have been wanting to know about the status of the Marina.  I do not have a enquirer subscription so I can only read a tiny section of it. 

The $1.5 million state grant we were approved for to help pay for the marina was set to expire in 2021.  We would have had to start construction just as the pandemic was starting to get the marina built before the grant expired.  The park board got an extension on the grant until 2023 and board member Kevin Flynn is saying the marina will still get built.  Here's to hoping that ends up being true.  

Guest jmecklenborg
13 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

If you have ever read the story about how they came to own all of the Bengals it is quite impressive. Certainly some luck came into play, but definitely shrewd business moves on the Brown family's part were important.

Considering when the Bengals started the Browns were only like 10% owners of the franchise and the NFL was still a fledgling enterprise far from what it is today and way behind MLB in popularity. Over the course of 25-30 years they were able to get control of the entire team and all of its shares is a phenomenal business story. 

Yeah, they used zero or almost zero of their own money.  I recall that they almost completely lost their share in the early 1980s but clawed all the way back and bought out their last minority shareholder in 2011 with...cash.  They paid themselves minimal salaries and saved all of their share's profits for decades to buy out the minority owners.  Almost nobody out there has that much discipline. 

They decided at some point in the 2000s not to borrow the money needed to buy out the minority shareholders.  Just imagine if they had done that and then a circumstance came along like the current pandemic - the risk of losing an entire season of revenue.  Depending on the terms of the loan, they might have lost the team. 

• 2 weeks later...

Negotiations collapse between Cincinnati and Hamilton County over the Banks

Cincinnati and Hamilton County have failed to work out the details of future development at the Banks in time for the county to secure a bid to build the next, $6.5 million phase of Smale Riverfront Park.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/07/31/negotiations-between-cincinnati-and-hamilton.html

banksmusicvenuemehringway*1200xx1136-639

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Guest jmecklenborg

^I'm glad that she blew out of the negotiation.  I have no doubt that sitting at the negotiating table with Cranley has got to be agonizing.  He's like the complete opposite of Regis Philbin May He Rest In Peace. 

Cincinnati, Hamilton County make new proposals in fight over the future of the Banks

The city of Cincinnati and Hamilton County continued their chess match over the future of the Banks riverfront development Monday, with each making a new proposal about the way forward for the contentious project.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/08/03/city-county-reveal-new-banks-proposals.html

banksmusicvenuedaytime*1200xx1042-586-15

The laughable thing is to me also, these are lots to build basically suburban cookie cutter type residential and hotels with ground floor retail for the most part in order to increase density. We're not talking high rises.

Edited by snakebite