Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati: Development and News

12 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

$2.5 million for the DAAP Annex? Is it just me or is that a really low budget for a building of this apparent size? Unless it's going to be a fancy Amazon warehouse esque building with curtains for walls. 

44 minutes ago, SleepyLeroy said:

Yep i believe in the RFP they called it a steel pole barn or words to that effect.

This makes sense. Emersion is kinda known for doing "architected" looking work on low budgets. 

UC to invest nearly $98 million in 3 new projects

The University of Cincinnati is moving forward with three projects that will add classroom space and are expected to be a total investment of $97.5 million.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/25/uc-to-invest-nearly-98-million-in-3-new-projects.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

There is a big opportunity with this Clifton Court Building to right a wrong: Create a 4-way intersection at Joselin and Clifton. Change the McMicken Arc so that it hits Clifton at Joselin instead of where it does not, and then have Clifton Court terminate into the newly aligned McMicken Arc. Add crosswalks and medians where turn lanes aren't needed. This stretch of Clifton seems like a hit pedestrian waiting to happen.

• Like 1

UC spent how long and how much money trying to eliminate surface lots from main campus? You think they would have learned some sort of lesson from that...

UC gets approval to convert former church, build new DAAP studio

The University of Cincinnati on Friday got approval to overhaul a key Uptown parcel in the southwest corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Clifton Avenue to build a new studio for its School of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning and convert a former church to classrooms.

The former Second Church of Christ Scientist at 2839 Clifton Ave. will be renovated into an auditorium space seating more than 330, as well as classroom space.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/17/uc-gets-approval-to-convert-former-church-build.html

probascoauditoriumexterior*1024xx976-549

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

UC seeks design architect for $86.5 million building

The University of Cincinnati is looking for an architect to design a new, $86.5 million classroom building on its Uptown campus.

UC’s board of trustees voted on April 23 to move forward with Clifton Court Hall, a 180,000-square-foot classroom building planned where two modular structures stand at Clifton Avenue and Clifton Court Drive. UC sent out a request for qualifications for design architect for the new project on May 21.

The new building would provide classrooms for McMicken College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering and Applied Science as well as shared space for interdisciplinary programs involving other colleges. It’s expected to hold 24 classrooms as well as about 230 faculty and staff offices.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/22/uc-seeks-design-architect-for-86-5-million.html

universityofcincinnaticampus*1024xx1280-

Interesting note from that.

The request for qualifications said site must flow pedestrian traffic toward nearby campus buildings, provide new entries to Clifton Court Hall away from Clifton Avenue and allow for a potential separate project to realign Clifton Court Drive.

UC reveals fall semester changes to Uptown campuses, opening dates for new buildings

By Mitchell Parton  – Intern, Cincinnati Business Courier

The University of Cincinnati has revealed several temporary and permanent changes to its Uptown East and Uptown West campuses as well as opening dates for the new buildings of the College of Business and the College of Law.

Students will begin classes in the new buildings for the Carl H. Lindner College of Business and the College of Allied Health Sciences at the start of UC’s fall semester, the university announced July 26.  

more

Get an early look inside UC’s new $120M business school

The University of Cincinnati has opened the doors to the new $120 million Carl H. Lindner Hall, home of its College of Business.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/08/08/exclusive-get-an-early-look-inside-uc-s-new-120m.html

lindnercollegemainstreet*1200xx3636-2049

UC unveils $65M Health Sciences building

uc-health-sciences-building-1*750xx3648-

The University of Cincinnati plans to cut the ribbon Sept. 12 on its new Health Sciences Building, a $65 million structure that’s home to the College of Allied Health Sciences. However, students have been able to check out the structure as the fall semester began this week.

The four-story building at 3225 Eden Ave. includes 11 classrooms, 26 teaching labs, 130 offices and five conference rooms as well as collaboration spaces for students that feature couches, chairs and tables.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/08/30/uc-unveils-65m-health-sciencesbuilding.html

UC Health reveals details of largest construction project ever

By Barrett J. Brunsman  – Staff reporter, Cincinnati Business Courier

Oct 29, 2019, 12:27pm EDT Updated 12 minutes ago

Dr. Rick Lofgren, CEO of UC Health, today disclosed that the hospital system intends to undertake its largest construction project ever – hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades to the flagship University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

Work on the $221 million project dubbed “New Day” is to begin next year and be done by 2025. It will transform patient access and care across the 14-acre Clifton Campus, Lofgren said.

MORE

Working Group recommends the removal of the name "McMicken" from the McMicken College of Arts & Sciences and McMicken Hall:

For the reasons detailed in this report, the working group unanimously recommends that the university discontinue the practice of using Charles McMicken’s name in affiliation with the College of Arts and Sciences – the academic unit itself – whenever formally or informally referring to the college.

Discontinuing the practice is by no means an erasure of history. When a name is changed or removed, the university – consistent with its responsibility to its history – should not purport to erase its history and should ensure that its history is neither lost nor misrepresented and is preserved for study. Charles McMicken’s legacies and the university’s relationship to him, in all their complexities, remain a vital and living part of the university’s history. It is incumbent upon the university to find appropriate means to present that history fully, fairly and accurately, and in ways that make that history a valuable source of education that is accessible to all.  We therefore recommend that purposeful work to that end be undertaken immediately, drawing on talents and resources throughout the university.

2 hours ago, taestell said:

As a student at UC, I have no idea why this was even necessary to make a study for. A vast majority of students don't even know why it's called McMicken hall. Let alone know who the guy is or even have classes there. I agree with @jmecklenborg, this is just some filler for resumes of the committee members. 

I pray that they don't start messing with the building itself trying to make it "appropriate" for the student body

11 minutes ago, Robuu said:

Wait till the students at OSU hear about Christopher Columbus.

George Washington inherited a plantation.  He has a city, state, and university named after him.  

It's fairly ironic that McMicken was one of those "back to Liberia" guys while living in the very city where the modern Abolition movement - which was anti-back-to-Liberia - was hatched.  McMicken's donation is now secular UC.  The Lane Seminary is now...a Cadillac dealership.  

On 11/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, RealAdamP said:

A vast majority of students don't even know why it's called McMicken hall. Let alone know who the guy is or even have classes there.

But isn't this an argument in favor of removing McMicken from the official title?

It seems that the college has already been moving towards this rebranding for awhile anyway. Their website is located at artsci.uc.edu (not mcmicken.uc.edu) and refers to the college as "College of Arts and Sciences" or "A&S". Looking at archive.org, it seems they stopped using the McMicken title on their website around 2016. I doubt this change had anything to do with Charles McMicken being "cancelled" and more to do with general rebranding efforts being pushed by University leadership--similar to how Raymond Walters College was renamed UC Blue Ash.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

But isn't this an argument in favor of removing McMicken from the official title?

It seems that the college has already been moving towards this rebranding for awhile anyway. Their website is located at artsci.uc.edu (not mcmicken.uc.edu) and refers to the college as "College of Arts and Sciences" or "A&S". Looking at archive.org, it seems they stopped using the McMicken title on their website around 2016. I doubt this change had anything to do with Charles McMicken being "cancelled" and more to do with general rebranding efforts being pushed by University leadership--similar to how Raymond Walters College was renamed UC Blue Ash.

You are correct, I was under the assumption that this was a study to scrape McMicken name from everything. I know know it's just removing the name from the A&S school.

UC Drops Enslaver McMicken's Name From College

The University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees voted unanimously to rename the College of Arts and Sciences Tuesday.

The university is dropping enslaver Charles McMicken's name from the department he founded. Parts of his wealth came from the enslavement of African people and he used this wealth to become the main sponsor for the University of Cincinnati. In 1858, McMicken wrote that the institution should educate "white boys and girls."

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 1:03 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Cancel dead people, then dangle potential naming rights to living big-time donors.  

St. Clair has really eroded in importance all over, not just in Cincinnati

2 hours ago, taestell said:

UC Drops Enslaver McMicken's Name From College

The University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees voted unanimously to rename the College of Arts and Sciences Tuesday.

The university is dropping enslaver Charles McMicken's name from the department he founded. Parts of his wealth came from the enslavement of African people and he used this wealth to become the main sponsor for the University of Cincinnati. In 1858, McMicken wrote that the institution should educate "white boys and girls."

If UC doesn't return the money and land he donated, this seems like an incredibly empty gesture.

• Poison 1

Good move by UC. I have no problem with his name still being associated with buildings as long as there is contextual information for people. Physical objects like the McMicken Hall provide that opportunity. The name of a school doesn't offer that. 

I also think statues of Confederate soldiers, slave owners, etc should be allowed to stay up in public places if there is a plaque describing their various crimes, treasonous acts, etc. I would rather have people know who these people really are than to hide them completely.

UC Health names design, construction firms for $221M project

2019-09-20ucmc-master-plan-rendering-pha

The Forward project includes the expansion and renovation of the emergency department at UC Health’s flagship University of Cincinnati Medical Center and the construction of a new surgical pavilion to modernize and boost operating room capacity.

UC Health's $221 million project will include adding larger and better-equipped operating rooms, renovating the Emergency Department and constructing two new medical buildings plus two new garages.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/02/26/uc-health-names-design-construction-firms-for-221m.html

^Possibly related, I noticed there is construction fencing and heavy equipment on site at the surface parking lot adjacent to MLK and in between Burnet and Harvey. The site is owned by UC Health, but I'm not sure what their plans are for the site. Looking at the building permit for the site, it appears they might just be re-grading it. This site would be ideal for infill... so I hope that whatever grading work is done isn't merely for the sake of keeping the site surface parking forever.   

image.png

image.png

UC selects design, construction team for $86.5 million project

The University of Cincinnati has selected the design and construction team for a more than $86 million project on its Uptown campus.

Messer Construction, along with partner D.A.G. Construction, will build the $86.5 million Clifton Court Hall project on UC's main campus.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/11/exclusive-uc-selects-design-construction-team-for.html

universityofcincinnaticampus*1200xx1280-

4 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

So...are they going to have to remove the modular buildings to build the permanent building?  

I believe so yes. Another article states that it’ll be 180,000 sq ft. I wonder how many floors that’ll be.

I think I read that some are going into the old business building, but I thought that was slated to start in Fall as well so who knows.

Also this will replace the offices in Crosley Tower.

The modular buildings have hosted a bunch of different schools over the last few years. When Dyer/Teacher's college was being renovated they were located there, then they moved back to their building and someone else (including business school) moved in and so forth. With the new business school finished, and Law school moving the modular structures have pretty much served their purpose. 

29 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Are they renovating Calhoun? 

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

I know that was on their list of things to do. The same with siddall. I’m assuming they may be getting an early start since no one is living in the dorms?

On 5/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, Ucgrad2015 said:

I know that was on their list of things to do. The same with siddall. I’m assuming they may be getting an early start since no one is living in the dorms?

I was on campus yesterday to pick some things up from the office and didn't notice anything with the dorms. I think they halted every capital project except ones that already started.