buildingcincinnati

Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events

The National is boring sad-boy music for boring sad-boys.  The singer is basically a sad-boy mumbler.  If you mumbled in my house my dad hit you.  So when I hear mumbling I have a pavlovian response.  I also take offense that the band makes a big deal out of its "homecoming" concerts as if they're some sort of intrinsic part of this city like Pete Rose or Bob Huggins or even Nick Lachey.  

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, jmecklenborg said:

The National is boring sad-boy music for boring sad-boys.  The singer is basically a sad-boy mumbler.  If you mumbled in my house my dad hit you.  So when I hear mumbling I have a pavlovian response.  I also take offense that the band makes a big deal out of its "homecoming" concerts as if they're some sort of intrinsic part of this city like Pete Rose or Bob Huggins or even Nick Lachey.  

Wow... That is... something.

There's no real excuse for mumble with as much good other music that's being made today. I can understand why mumble could have been acceptable during good music droughts such as the early-mid 2000s as long as it came with good melodies from the instruments but that wasn't the case. Female-fronted bands today are really important since they're not mumbling for the most part (except Billie Elisih), singing nasally like 14-year-olds or unintentionally sounding like Fez from That '70s Show. Just sing, people.

5 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

The National is boring sad-boy music for boring sad-boys.  The singer is basically a sad-boy mumbler.  If you mumbled in my house my dad hit you.

This is one of the most Boomer things I've heard on this site.

Anyway in all seriousness, I understand why people wouldn't like this band.  For most fans, liking them was a slow burn.  Most of their songs aren't all that attractive on the surface and if you aren't willing to sit through multiple runs of an album over the course of a week, it's easy to just move on and forget about them.

That said, Bloodbuzz Ohio is an absolute jam and doesn't take multiple listens to enjoy, one of their least mumble-ly songs.

• Like 1

Liking the music festival has nothing to do with liking the band that puts it on. I loved Homecoming last year and didn't even attend the National's headlining shows because the other bands were great.

How many people go to Lollapalooza because they love Perry Farrel and/or Jane's Addiction? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 10albersa said:

This is one of the most Boomer things I've heard on this site.

Anyway in all seriousness, I understand why people wouldn't like this band.  For most fans, liking them was a slow burn.  Most of their songs aren't all that attractive on the surface and if you aren't willing to sit through multiple runs of an album over the course of a week, it's easy to just move on and forget about them.

That said, Bloodbuzz Ohio is an absolute jam and doesn't take multiple listens to enjoy, one of their least mumble-ly songs.

Thanks for that Bloodbuzz link. I REALLY want to like them, I went to Daap with some of them, they are local guys gone big but i never could get on board. This is a great song however.

29 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Liking the music festival has nothing to do with liking the band that puts it on. I loved Homecoming last year and didn't even attend the National's headlining shows because the other bands were great.

How many people go to Lollapalooza because they love Perry Farrel and/or Jane's Addiction? 

Well I'm a big National fan, but I loved seeing Father John Misty, Lord Huron and Julien Baker. 

Also, posters must just love trolling or are just truly a sh*tty people to feel the need post over and over again how you don't like a band with local roots who's hosting an Indie Rock Festival on the cities front lawn. 

Edited by cincydave8
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, SleepyLeroy said:

Thanks for that Bloodbuzz link. I REALLY want to like them, I went to Daap with some of them, they are local guys gone big but i never could get on board. This is a great song however.

I actually like some of the band's side projects more than the band itself, including El Vy and Big Red Machine. The song below has the line "Don't make me wait for you at the corner of Eden Park, Don't make me wait for you at the Serpentine Wall", what Cincinnatian doesn't like that? 

El Vy - Return to the Moon

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, cincydave8 said:

spacer.png

Heck of a lineup for a small Indie Rock Festival

Of Monsters and Men is a weird top bill act IMO, it was such a crazy mix of amazing talent the first time around, I'm really curious who the downbill acts are going to be once the schedule fills out a bit more.

5 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

They've sold a lot of "records" (er, had a lot of spins, or whatever combination they use to determine success today) and sound good so I can see it.

I get it, I mean it makes sense they're a top bill act (I guess I just find it weird for The National to hitch their train to them). It seems everyone last time was just like so curated to The National and their sound - this one kind of just seems like an indie music fest. Maybe I've got rose colored glasses on looking back at the first HC, but damn it was just near perfect.