Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events

• 4 months later...

I believe I created this thread at some point between February and today, but since it was lost, here it is again. And I suggest we use the same thread for MidPoint for the rest of time so we don't have to create a new thread every year. Also, if a mod would like to add the Cincy MidPoint 2012 thread to this one (and any others that exist) that would be cool so it would easier to look back at previous years.

Here is the initial list of bands announced for 2013:

THE BREEDERS / THE HEAD AND THE HEART / WARPAINT / FOXYGEN / CODY CHESNUTT / DAUGHTER / METZ / KISHI BASHI / JULIANNE BARWICK / SPECTRALS / DENT MAY / GRANDFATHER CHILD / THE GHOST WOLVES / JEECY AND THE JUNGLE / PHOX / CAVEMAN / PERFUME GENIUS

The second wave of bands announced:

SHUGGIE OTIS / KURT VILE / YOUTH LAGOON / ON AN ON / BATHS / MURDER BY DEATH / BLEACHED / SATURDAY LOOKS GOOD TO ME / SAN FERMIN / SECRET COLOURS / NAT BALDWIN / WILD CUB / THE SHILOHS / BIRDS OF CHICAGO

The third wave of bands (released today):

BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB / YOUNG EMPIRES / NICHOLAS DAVID / THE TECHNICOLORS / CORY CHISEL AND THE WANDERING SONS / DAMIEN JURADO / HA HA TONKA / SNOWMINE / VANDAVEER / PURE X / HELADO NEGRO / BEAR’S DEN / GAUNTLET HAIR / THE GRAHAMS / AMERICAN ROYALTY / THE DELTA SAINTS / JOHNATHAN RICE

I also know that Tall Tall Trees will be at MPMF this year, though that has not been officially announced yet. Great band/guy.

My friends from college are in a band called American Royalty, and I just heard from them that they will be playing Midpoint this year! They were based in LA but moved to Brooklyn this past winter, and have been touring for the past year.  They've been to Cincy twice (played MOTR both times), and I think they have a modest local following.  They're super cool, and I highly recommend checking them out!

• 4 weeks later...

Full MPMF schedule released: http://mpmf.com/festival

Read about it on CityBeat here:http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-4955-full_midpoint_music_festival_schedule_available_no.html

Also, since the Emery Theatre isn't an available venue this year with the legal battles, the Taft Ballroom downtown has been added. Also, Mainstay is a venue this year. Notably absent is the Cincinnati Club which has been a venue for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

actually it's biennial but what the heck...

NORTHSIDE's 9th BI-ANNUAL PORCH TOUR

October 12th, 6 until 9pm departing from St. Boniface on Pitts St.

Come join the 150 homes on tour this year as you ride one of two, twenty-person horse drawn carriages, lit by a ribbon of over 3,000 luminaria. Circa 1900 period porches will be explained by the tour guides. Citizens-on-Patrol will be grilling up the dogs, Whiz Kids neighborhood youth will host a Bake Sale, St. Boniface Volunteers will be serving beer, sodas, coffee and water. Northside's own "All about the Music" will perform, bringing a era of jazz and blues to the wonderful autumn evening we are about to have. Happen, Inc. viewing of the "Sisters and the Magic Spindle" will be showing. Volunteers are needed for a Saturday morning cleanup along the tour route, October 5th, 9am-11am, meet on Hanfield St. @ Wilter. Volunteers are also needed for October 12th set-up and working during the event, contact [email protected] or 520-7112 (cell) to be a part of a great team!

• 3 months later...

Bunbury has released three artists for the 2014 festival.

Paramore, Fall Out Boy, and New Politics.

Seems very underwhelming when Coachella announced their full lineup the same day. No indication that these are headliners or how high up. If I had to guess, I would say Fall Out Boy will be a headliner and the other two will be right before the headliners on two of the nights. Though that is just speculation.

Some have suggested that The Afghan Whigs may headline a date at Bunbury this year since they are playing at Coachella.

EDIT: It appears all three of those bands will perform on the Saturday night of the festival.

Guest jmecklenborg

Oooooh, sorry about Fall Out Boy.

Ooh, sorry about festivals, generally.  Yeah, let's go with 8 people who all want to see different bands, so you waste all kinds of time waiting for people to show up, meeting the first time, trying to find each other 3 hours later, then everyone changes plans, then the dude you were going to watch The One Band You Came To See gets a text from an ex-girlfriend and takes off, leaving you to watch The One Band You Came To See by yourself.  Then you're watching The One Band You Came to See with a bunch of people who don't know their music and who are on their phones the whole time until they play The Hit, then they all have to take a picture to let their college friends know they're still cool.

Yeah, festivals rock! 

Jason Aldean will be coming to Great American Ballpark. The date hasn't been announced yet.

The Cincinnati Reds’ Great American Ball Park will host a concert for one of the biggest names in country music this year.

Jason Aldean announced a stop in the Tri-State is part of his “Burn It Down Tour” that will include roughly 50 cities and Major League Baseball stadiums across the country.

“It’s no secret that I grew up dreaming of playing baseball stadiums,” Aldean said. “I thought it would be as a first baseman, but playing them as a musician is just as sweet.”

• 4 weeks later...

My band Elk Creek is playing at the Southgate House Revival tomorrow (Valentine's Day). Opening bands are Sohio and Billy Alletzhauser of The Hiders. Cover is $5 but if you come up to me and say the secret word "ColDayMan" I'll buy you a drink.

https://www.facebook.com/events/685937324751047/

Show is cancelled due to the snow tonight... supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow in NKY.

Well, considering it linked to these threads, which nearly brought me to tears, it probably wasn't terribly hard to guess who'd've paid to advertize them!

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,8555

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,8556

Anyway, back on topic - sorry to hear the Elk Creek show was cancelled, though since I couldn't make it anyway, maybe there's a better chance for whenever you get your rain check...er...snow check!

Kind of an underwhelming line-up this year although I am happy to see Flaming Lips as a headliner.  Hopefully they come up with a good band for the final slot although I usually enjoy the lesser known acts more - there are some diamonds in the rough but it is just not a deep roster.

I predict this will be the final year for Bunbury. This is a completely weak lineup, especially in an age where seemingly every city is hosting a music festival.  Outside of the Flaming Lips, there is not a single band that even remotely interests me. 

I've been underwhelmed with the headliners every year. They usually have one good one.

There are a lot of bands I would want to see, though. Maybe not enough to buy a ticket, but there are a bunch I am interested in (and some I've seen and really enjoyed).

Kishi Bashi, Robert Delong, Cults, Kopecky Family Band, The Lighthouse and the Whaler, Saintseneca, and Heartless Bastards are all good. I don't recognize a lot of bands, but I'll definitely look them up. Hopefully the final headliner is a little more enticing and I may volunteer again.

I'm past the age of recognizing a significant number of bands in a festival line-up, haha.

I love the Flaming Lips, though. Veruca Salt is still around?

Midpoint is clearly the better local festival. Bonnaroo and Pitchfork are close enough that, if I were interested in going to a summer festival, I probably wouldn't consider Bunbury. They've had GBV and the Flaming Lips, though, so it's not all terrible (but Pitchfork has like 10 bands of that caliber every year). It's not really an indie festival, it's not a pop festival...they either need to hammer down an identity or go broader. I think they could benefit from adding some EDM and alternative hip-hop.

Yeah more electronic rock sounds. The introspective strummy rock sound that kicked in in the '90s and went for so long has lost young people. Emo (their older brother's music), Nu-Metal and Nu-Country (NASCARland genres) left a bad taste in their mouths about laying out personal experiences too specifically in song and it affected all rock.

Guest jmecklenborg

Music is over, people.  The new generation flicks their thumb across a little phone screen hundreds of times per day and chuckles at memes.