Guest FerrariEnzo

Cleveland: Steelyard Commons

High end retailers do not open up shop in strip centers. Why would one think that a high end retailer would ever consider opening at a place like steelyard commons? It is not their business model.

How does a smaller city like Savannah Georgia have a Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and a Gap, all downtown in storefronts. We really need a retail boost downtown, and not in Steelyard Commons. Steelyard is good for what it is, Target, Walmart, and other large chain stores. Other retailers belong downtown.

Sort of OT, but the Whole Paycheck (sorry for the stab, can't resist) is going to Rocky River, not Steelyard  - http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/18225

People who have the financial means [not a stretch to say this includes college+ grads] to choose where they live in Cleveland will consider whether or not their favorite stores are nearby as a part of their decision .  Then, retailers probably won't go there unless they're already an existing amount of their desired demo's there.

Ya, my comment was completely off topic from Steelyard...apologies.

People are excited because, for the most part, NONE of those stores were in Cleveland proper before Steelyard. This is progress and a great thing for the city. You don't go from essentially having NO national stores to having Legacy Village. It doesn't work that way. You have to first demonstrate that retail in general can work in your city before you start clamoring for high end retail. I agree that we should have more high end retail. But you don't get there from nowhere. Steelyard is demonstrating that national retail in general can work in Cleveland. That was step number 1.

And by the way, I've heard that First Interstate actually makes more money from Steelyard than Legacy Village. Why? Larger market.

Building a strip center that takes retail opportunities from your downtown is not progress. 

A Whole Foods in midtown Detroit?  That's progress.   

Smh. Building a strip center to attract stores that most likely wouldn't be going downtown anyway in a city that had almost none of those stores prior IS progress. 0 + 1 = 1. Not zero. If we had NOTHING (which was basically the case) and now you add Steelyard, that means you now have SOMETHING when before you had NOTHING. I don't think anyone reasonably believes that Steelyard is hurting downtown retail. That's absurd. Its been well documented that the dynamics of downtown Cleveland retail is a unique monster all on its own. No one could possibly believe that if Steelyard didn't exist, downtown retail would be better. The most likely case is that if Steelyard didn't exist, the vast majority of those stores wouldn't be in the city AT ALL. Where Steelyard stands would most likely still be vacant and all of that income would be somewhere else, in some suburb. It shouldn't even take explaining. The benefits are obvious.

We literally had NO national retail in the city of Cleveland. If you can't convince the mid-level retailers that they can make money in Steelyard, then you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of convincing more higher end stores. You don't go from nothing to Beachwood Place quality stores. This is quite simple, really.

Unique monster?  Maybe we can get Ron Pearlman to play it in the film adaptation.

So how does Detroit get a Whole Foods without building a suburban strip plaza?  Midtown Detroit is a place to see "unique monsters" fighting over a bag of Fritos.  I used to live there.  Most of Cleveland's neighborhoods are at least viable and that's not true of Detroit at all.  The state is practically taking over that place, but somehow we're the ones who have to re-acclimate commerce by putting it all the way down there, or 2 suburbs out?  I'm sorry, that is a management fail.  We're never going to get anywhere by claiming special rules that force Cleveland, and only Cleveland, to suck.

If Cleveland sucks so much, then move to Detroit.

uosock.jpg

Let's stay focused on the topic at hand.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

FWIW, there's a very good Next American City article on CDCs leading the charge on things that municipal government once did. The major focus is on Midtown Detroit, Inc., and how they were able to make a direct, aggressive and well-reasoned case to Whole Foods to test an inner-city market approach in Detroit ... Additional bonus is a big focus on the tremendous leaps and bounds UCI is making: http://americancity.org/forefront/view/welcome-to-your-new-government

So in addition to the company itself looking for certain market demographics, city incentives, etc., it clearly helps to have local groups, either city or county government or community development / economic development organizations or private developers pushing for investment in particular target areas and creating a sense of momentum and positive trajectory that stretches beyond current demographics. Someone's got to make the compelling sell. Locally, I'd say there have been successful examples all over the place for investment that demographics don't justify ... UCI, OCI, Maron, etc.

To relate this back to this thread, at the end of the day, you need either Steelyard developers aggressively pushing upper-scale retail into Phase 2, Tremont West doing that or the city or Team NEO or someone doing that. And that group needs to make a compelling case around current sales volume, demographics of surrounding neighborhoods, demographics of buyers, geographic pull, etc., as well as a convincing argument for how the center will change over time (no one wants to be the stand-alone tenant of its type, even in a relatively stable, successful retail area ... See Glazen's "Project Light Switch" idea for Waterloo).

How does a smaller city like Savannah Georgia have a Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and a Gap, all downtown in storefronts. We really need a retail boost downtown, and not in Steelyard Commons. Steelyard is good for what it is, Target, Walmart, and other large chain stores. Other retailers belong downtown.

It's not like any of these stores make emotional or gut instinct decisions.  They are retailers, answering for the most part to public shareholders.  Their site selections are based purely on demographic data, lease rates, etc.  If there was a market in Cleveland, they'd be here.  At one time a few worked Cleveland and Tower City into their equation.  Now they don't fit.  If we are on the fringe then that's where civic leaders, developers and the like can push them over the edge.  But if there was a market, they would be building downtown.

I know this has been rumored, but this might be the first announcement we have seen.

New lease at Steelyard could spur second phase

Burlington would anchor 200K-square-foot center

4:30 am, August 13, 2012  By STAN BULLARD

Steelyard Commons, the big shopping center near downtown Cleveland, appears on the verge of its first major expansion since it opened in 2007 on the site of a former LTV steel mill.  First Interstate Properties Inc. of Lyndhurst, the developer of Steelyard Commons, has leased land to Burlington Coat Factory, a national off-price department store chain, for a 77,000-square-foot store to be built north of the Walmart Super Center.

The lease is a breakthrough for First Interstate as it looks to launch a long-planned second phase of Steelyard Commons, which brought a contemporary, big-box retail center within the city limits.

“We're working on launching phase two,” Mitchell Schneider, CEO of First Interstate, said in an interview last Friday, Aug. 10, as he confirmed Burlington's commitment to Steelyard, which sits at the central location of Jennings Road and Inter-state 71.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20120813/SUB1/308139973 (you will have to search the title)

I believe construction has started on the Taco Bell - right next to Steak N' Shake.  The footprint looks too small and too close to the street to be Burlington or Aldi.

I asked the girl in the Steak N' Shake drive thru if it was the Taco Bell going up, and she got this stunned look on her face, kinda said yes, and was then like "How'd you know?  Did they put a sign up?" It's good to have connections, hahaha.

I asked the girl in the Steak N' Shake drive thru if it was the Taco Bell going up, and she got this stunned look on her face, kinda said yes, and was then like "How'd you know?  Did they put a sign up?" It's good to have connections, hahaha.

It's good to be an Urban Ohioan.

Halloween City is renting out the old best buy location for the season. They placed a big pumpkin on the old best buy tag, kinda cool. But cheesy

This is at the south end of Steelyard Commons....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2013/02012013/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for February 1, 2013

NEAR WEST DESIGN REVIEW

NW2013-006 – Aldi’s New Construction

Project Location: Steelyard Commons Outlot #3

Project Representatives: Bill Boron, Atwell LLC

Steve Pickett, Aldi’s

Aldi_01.jpg

This is at the south end of Steelyard Commons....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2013/02012013/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for February 1, 2013

NEAR WEST DESIGN REVIEW

NW2013-006 – Aldi’s New Construction

Project Location: Steelyard Commons Outlot #3

Project Representatives: Bill Boron, Atwell LLC

Steve Pickett, Aldi’s

Aldi_01.jpg

This is a late reply of course.....but more plastic Chinese junk flooding the market place, most of which will likely wind up in the garbage inside a year. This is sad that such stores are the best we can do to repurpose structures that never needed to be built in the first place as we already had enough sources to purchase such goods as BB has. Best Buy...but worst value. Terrible customer service. Glad to see it gone. Btw... Aldi's...not the deal you think you get when you discover where so much of the food thee comes from... More Chinese imports. Go local food.

Glad to be of service.

Steelyard Commons phase two construction will start soon, after Cuyahoga County OKs bond issue

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Developer Mitchell Schneider expects to start construction next month on the long-stalled second phase of Steelyard Commons, a large shopping center in Cleveland's industrial valley.

On Tuesday, Cuyahoga County Council agreed to issue $5 million worth of taxable economic development bonds -- the last critical underpinning for the $20 million project. Schneider expects to close on his financing in mid-October and start work right away, with hopes of finishing buildings for Burlington Coat Factory and other retailers just over a year later.

Anchored by a Walmart Supercenter, Target and Home Depot, Steelyard Commons opened in 2007, just as a brutal recession set in. Since then, Schneider has inked deals with freestanding restaurants but has struggled to bring phase two to fruition.

"The recession basically killed the growth of every national retail chain in the country," Schneider said Friday. "Burlington had expressed interest, and they were one of the few stores that were growing. The economics of the lease are not very strong economics. We decided it would be worth it to get this thing moving, even though the economics wouldn't be justified on a totally privately financed basis."

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/steelyard_commons_phase_two_co.html#incart_river

^ good, but it just makes you wonder if maybe weston or somebody can obtain this kind of economic development bond support to redevelop the warehouse district parking lots??

^ good, but it just makes you wonder if maybe weston or somebody can obtain this kind of economic development bond support to redevelop the warehouse district parking lots??

I think we may need a VS. PARKING LOTS thread.

Steelyard Commons phase two construction will start soon, after Cuyahoga County OKs bond issue

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/steelyard_commons_phase_two_co.html#incart_river

Glad to see this moving forward. Every sustainable public-sector incentive that can be used to move projects should be welcomed.

I don't like that this had to replace the store on Pearl north of Denison. That store was much more accessible to more transit lines and within walking distance of neighborhoods where many residents do not have cars or must share them among multiple wage earners. I hope another grocer will fill that spot...

Aldi opens its 125th Ohio grocery store at Steelyard Commons in Cleveland

By Janet H. Cho, The Plain Dealer

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on November 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM, updated November 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Aldi Inc., the discount German grocery chain that carries an edited selection of items in a smaller store format, has opened its newest store in Cleveland's Steelyard Commons development.

The new Aldi at 3586 Steelyard Dr. replaces another location at 3787 Pearl Rd., which closed on Nov. 19. The company said all the Pearl Road employees were transferred to the new store. An Aldi typically employs 10 people.

"As important as price is, there's only one way to attract and keep shoppers: You have to have quality products," said Corey Stucker, vice president of Aldi's Hinckley division, in a statement. "When people try our Aldi exclusive brands, they are excited by the savings and impressed by the quality."

READ MORE AT:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/11/aldi_opens_its_125th_ohio_groc.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

I find it interesting that a grocery store is opening next to Walmart. As I recall a major complaint when Walmart was first planning a store in Steelyard Commons was that it would destroy Dave's and other stores. Apparently that was not the case.

Walmart attracts its group of shoppers which is a good portion of this country. There are plenty of others that refuse to set foot in the store. It's also looking like they are getting closer to beginning the work on the Burlington Coat Factory portion.

I usually only shop at Walmart if I need to find a random item, like a pump for basketball or random things like that. Recently I went to get electric tape. I never go shopping there for food. They don't even have good pricing.

I find it interesting that a grocery store is opening next to Walmart. As I recall a major complaint when Walmart was first planning a store in Steelyard Commons was that it would destroy Dave's and other stores. Apparently that was not the case.

And Target has an enlarged food area now, including produce.

I agree with KJP. I was just telling the fiancee' how completely devastating this move from West 25th will be for the area.

Aldi perfers to be next to big box stores like Walmart. It provides good traffic by thier stores.

Ewwww....

I honestly thought this was joke on Steelyard's Facebook, but it's not.

Four confirmed for Steelyard's next phase include:

1. Burlington (ok, decent)

2. Sprint (a dime a dozen)

3. Villa (ugh)

4. and my ULTIMATE favorite.. MATTRESS FIRM! :wtf:

(They have already polluted Cedar/Warrensville Center, where Starbucks used to be, with their tacky 'sale' signs..)

Sure, these all seem to be on par with what Steelyard is, but I guess I was just hoping for something more thrilling. The southern end would make a nice place for IKEA or something similar.

Cle, those are the stores that are going to do well in the neighborhood. What would you like to see? Keep in mind the stores over on Ridge Rd. I guess my other question is what stores also would have the potential to succeed in PHASE II

Cle, those are the stores that are going to do well in the neighborhood. What would you like to see? Keep in mind the stores over on Ridge Rd. I guess my other question is what stores also would have the potential to succeed in PHASE II

You think Steelyard needed Villa and Mattress Firm? Steelyard is full of potential, with shoppers of many different demographics packing the place every day. All income levels from all sorts of neighborhoods are represented in the client base. It's been mentioned that Steelyard has already turned a profit compared to Legacy, etc. I would expect the developers to try and build on that success and attract stores of a higher quality, not lower (Burlington is fine). What about a Kohl's, Toys R Us, IKEA, Container Store, Dicks Sporting Goods, Pier 1, Michaels, a furniture store. I don't enjoy traveling out to Willo-mentor Beachlake to shop at every day stores like this. I'm sure with the proximity to Downtown and growing neighborhoods around Downtown, these options would fare well. Just my opinion, as someone who shops at Steelyard often due to convenience.

You think Steelyard needed Villa and Mattress Firm? Steelyard is full of potential, with shoppers of many different demographics packing the place every day. All income levels from all sorts of neighborhoods are represented in the client base. It's been mentioned that Steelyard has already turned a profit compared to Legacy, etc. I would expect the developers to try and build on that success and attract stores of a higher quality, not lower (Burlington is fine). What about a Kohl's, Toys R Us, IKEA, Container Store, Dicks Sporting Goods, Pier 1, Michaels, a furniture store. I don't enjoy traveling out to Willo-mentor Beachlake to shop at every day stores like this. I'm sure with the proximity to Downtown and growing neighborhoods around Downtown, these options would fare well. Just my opinion, as someone who shops at Steelyard often due to convenience.

I'm pretty surprised a kohls hasn't come up in the convo for steelyard quite frankly. But what do I know!

Aldi perfers to be next to big box stores like Walmart. It provides good traffic by thier stores.

They recently moved from Northfield Plaza, where there only real competition in the area was the small-but-good Peppers, to right across SR-82 from the Target-Pittsburghstore complex.  Yeah, that seems to be their business model.

It's still possible for one of those stores to be added. Don't forget that there is a fairly new former best buy store that can get retrofitted into a Toys R Us or even a Dicks Sporting Goods.