zaceman

Westlake: Crocker Park

Maybe this is karma for American Greetings choosing the burbs instead of downtown  :-P

Joking aside, I'm glad no one was hurt. The explosion looked pretty scary on that video. I wonder how much this will delay construction.

Maybe this is karma for American Greetings choosing the burbs instead of downtown  :-P

Joking aside, I'm glad no one was hurt. The explosion looked pretty scary on that video. I wonder how much this will delay construction.

Probably not much, unless they are close to finished.

To keep it on construction/development, there were pictures of the damage. Surprisingly, most of the damage appears to be from the fire -- not the explosion. Few broken windows. Most of the damage appears to be scorching and discoloration of the exterior.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

This is an old topic but I'm wondering if there are stats available on how Crocker Park is doing, in terms of retail traffic, occupancy, etc. I really wonder about the longevity of an outdoor-based mall considering the vagaries of NE Ohio weather.

This is an old topic but I'm wondering if there are stats available on how Crocker Park is doing, in terms of retail traffic, occupancy, etc. I really wonder about the longevity of an outdoor-based mall considering the vagaries of NE Ohio weather.

The last time I was there (right before Christmas), there were no vacancies that I saw. With the addition of American Greetings' HQ and the additional phases of townhouse construction and the new hotel (as well as the earlier phases of homes and apartments), it has a pretty good mix of on-site traffic sources.

It seems like the few times a year I go there are in the winter and everything is deserted except the Apple store, which is more a service-based place than a traditional retail store, and Trader Joe's, which is a grocery and not a retail store. I just wonder how everyone is staying open if there isn't a lot of foot traffic but I'm not really there enough to judge properly.

The last time I was there (right before Christmas), there were no vacancies that I saw. With the addition of American Greetings' HQ and the additional phases of townhouse construction and the new hotel (as well as the earlier phases of homes and apartments), it has a pretty good mix of on-site traffic sources.

You are correct that there are few vacancies in the original part of the development - from Bar Louie/Burntwood on the north end - to Dicks/Cheesecake in the middle - to Gap/Banana Republic on the south end.  However, if you walk past the Lululemon/Michael Kors stores in the newish American Greetings blocks, about 60%-70%+ of the space on the new south end is empty/boarded over, by my visual estimates, including the entire  AG complex' first floor retail space... Never built out or leased. Open stores include Orvis, Starbucks, Homage, 3Palms, and a few others. This new space is more than two years old now and several ptior years in the planning, so has to be a bit disappointing for Stark to still be mostly empty..

Everything circled in blue on the attached was new Crocker construction on south end, adjacent or part of the American Greetings building(s), with the first stores opening around November 2015.. All light grey areas are still vacant retail spaces 2+ years later... Circled pink retail spaces are occupied.. Large uncircled/occupied space on bottom left is the AG HQ. Existing Trader Joe's on bottom right outside lines

20180319_195958.thumb.png.60fe3805efea084e96afc67fc523751f.png

I knew they had some layoffs and a few hiring freezes over the past couple of years.  But having their HQ building on the market definitely seems like a bad sign!!

50 minutes ago, dar124 said:

I knew they had some layoffs and a few hiring freezes over the past couple of years.  But having their HQ building on the market definitely seems like a bad sign!!

The headline is panic-inducing lol. AG doen't own the building, their landlord is selling it.  

33 minutes ago, surfohio said:

The headline is panic-inducing lol. AG doen't own the building, their landlord is selling it.  

Ahhh, ok makes more sense ...

I don't go there often either when in town, but when I was last at Crocker Park, a late Saturday morning in March, it was very quiet. 

Edited by snakebite

Buy Buy Baby and World Market coming to the Phase 3 area by AG and H&M next fall.  14,400 sq ft and 18,270 sq ft, respectively.  This should take up a huge chunk of the remaining space.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/01/world-market-buybuybaby-coming-to-crocker-park-in-fall-2020.html

https://www.crainscleveland.com/retail/crocker-park-add-two-new-retailers

Edited by SgtBarone

Crocker+Park-052820-2s.jpg

MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020

Seeds & Sprouts VII - Early intel on real estate projects

Crocker Park expands with new stores 

Despite the pandemic, several new retailers are coming to the Greater Cleveland market. Sources say bids are due next week for the buildout of two retail tenant spaces involving a total of $2 million worth of construction work at Crocker Park in Westlake.

The two retail spaces are for buy buy BABY, an infant clothing and accessory store, and Cost Plus World Market, a home decor, home entertaining and gift giving shop. Buy buy BABY will occupy 18,363 square feet at 302 Main St. and Cost Plus World Market will be across the street in a 18,380-square-foot space at 313 Main.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/06/seeds-sprouts-vii-early-intel-on-real.html

Didn't realize Cost Plus World Market was still a thing. The ones I know of have closed.

Edited by metrocity