Guest grasscat

Lakewood: Development and News

3 hours ago, JSC216 said:

I apologize if these have already been posted. The Detroit and Parkwood development.

image.thumb.png.23d6c7e87c8760f19527eea50e482016.png

image.thumb.png.b03ad3a3d8053a7f6843d5c8a82d0367.png

That design is great. Has it received city approval?

Edited by Mendo

Don't get me wrong. I love the design of the building. I just think it looks....lonely. 

• Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

3 hours ago, KJP said:

Don't get me wrong. I love the design of the building. I just think it looks....lonely. 

I agree, but it's a good start. I'd rather have one well done building than a half hazard mish mash trying to use the odd space given due to the car repair shop not selling. 

Edited by KFM44107
Grammar Mistake. I need to stop responding on my phone.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mendo said:

That design is great. Has it received city approval?

Not yet. But my understanding is that it probably will, barring any last-minute surprises. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

2 minutes ago, w28th said:

That is a TON of parking.

It already is a TON of parking in its current form. But like I said above, leave it a parking lot until you can develop it the right way. 

• Like 2

Lakewood Planning Commission gives Columbus-based developer approval for Detroit Avenue projects

Updated 6:01 AM; Today 5:44 AM

By John Benson, special to cleveland.com

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- The Planning Commission last week gave its approval for two large mixed-use projects proposed for former Detroit Avenue car dealerships.

Jerome Solove Development Inc. (JSDI) received approval for a mixed-use overlay district at the Steve Barry Buick car dealership site (16000 Detroit Ave.) to build 160 new apartments and a 3,500 square feet of commercial retail space.

JSDI’s other proposed development is at the former Spitzer dealership (13815 Detroit Ave.) with 150 apartments and 1,500 to 3,500 square feet of commercial retail space and added parking. The 2.2-acre site is located between Parkwood Road and Wyandotte Avenue.

“The city hasn’t seen new multi-family construction of this scale in over 50 years,” Sylvester said. “So in the interest of just us updating our housing stock, we feel it’s important for the city to consider projects like this.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/08/lakewood-planning-commission-gives-columbus-based-developer-approval-for-detroit-avenue-projects.html

• Like 5

“Other changes from the original proposal include increased setbacks and sidewalk sizes, as well as the addition of innovative landscaping.”

Are we talking increased setbacks for wider sidewalks (👍) or are we talking about increase setbacks for wider sidewalks and landscaping (👎) ?

Just now, JSC216 said:

“Other changes from the original proposal include increased setbacks and sidewalk sizes, as well as the addition of innovative landscaping.”

Are we talking increased setbacks for wider sidewalks (👍) or are we talking about increase setbacks for wider sidewalks and landscaping (👎) ?

It sounds like the landscaping will probably be a small tree lawn type strip with a rain garden similar to whats in front of Madison Park. 

• Like 1

^Excellent news! I was at the Architectural Review for the Spitzer site project ironically for my own home reno, and the neighbors had some...interesting concerns. If you want an entertaining evening, grab a six pack and head to any local planning department meeting when a large project like this is being proposed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, YO to the CLE said:

^Excellent news! I was at the Architectural Review for the Spitzer site project ironically for my own home reno, and the neighbors had some...interesting concerns. If you want an entertaining evening, grab a six pack and head to any local planning department meeting when a large project like this is being proposed. 

I have done that before.  Unfortunately it seems that most of the people that speak have already finished their six pack.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, freefourur said:

It sounds like the landscaping will probably be a small tree lawn type strip with a rain garden similar to whats in front of Madison Park. 

So pointless grass strip, then. 👎

23 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

I have done that before.  Unfortunately it seems that most of the people that speak have already finished their six pack.

I wouldn't say that. It's not a strip in front of the building. It will be between the sidewalk and street (that is how Madison Park's is) and will serve the purpose of holding rainwater that would otherwise overflow the city sewer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lakewood real estate demand/values are growing at the highest rates of any city in the county. But since the 1980s, it has lost more than 1,700 housing units due to demolitions and renovation of duplexes/triplexes into single-family homes. Lakewood also has the second-oldest housing stock on average in the county, trailing only East Cleveland. It desperately needs the new housing to respond to the market, to keep real estate values in check, and to freshen up the inventory so that Lakewood remains competitive and viable. I hope Lakewood supports these projects going forward.

• Like 7

It seems that when there is redevelopment/ new development on detroit that the utility wiring is moved underground and the street lights are replaced with decorative lighting.  i hope this is done here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mendo said:

So pointless grass strip, then. 👎

Well, I think the rain gardens are a really good idea. For too long our lake-adjacent communities haven't done enough to safeguard our greatest resource. Urban runoff (and taxing the sewers systems with rainwater) is arguably the biggest problem. 

[edit: oops, exactly what @KFM44107 said]

Edited by surfohio
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KFM44107 said:

I wouldn't say that. It's not a strip in front of the building. It will be between the sidewalk and street (that is how Madison Park's is) and will serve the purpose of holding rainwater that would otherwise overflow the city sewer. 

8 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Well, I think the rain gardens are a really good idea. For too long our lake-adjacent communities haven't done enough to safeguard our greatest resource. Urban runoff (and taxing the sewers systems with rainwater) is arguably the biggest problem. 

[edit: oops, exactly what @KFM44107 said]

Something like a tree lawn would be great. I get nervous when I hear "setback" but some greenery along the street would look good. KFM mentioned Madison Park, here's the street view of it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4769506,-81.7801799,3a,75y,206.82h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sne_d8DV3xB1RlkemkKNTvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 2

I wish we had greater emphasis in the area on this actually. After seeing the awful new overhauls of Detroit between West 70th to 78th as well at Madison from West Blvd to 117th. It’s just straight concrete. Not a single tree for miles.  It all looks like S@&t. Just looks like barren wasteland. 

When I contacted DS about this awful makeover, I was told the sidewalk wasn’t wide enough to accommodate any trees. I told them to promptly grab a tape measure and drive over to Lakewood up and down Madison and Detroit to see how a real city operates when it’s people give a damn. 

Edited by marty15
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, KFM44107 said:

So these are really attractive and functional "devil strips" as Akronites would say.   Sounds fantastic.

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, marty15 said:

I told them to promptly grab a tape measure and drive over to Lakewood up and down Madison and Detroit to see how a real city operates when it’s people give a damn. 

If so many people didn't run away from the city during the last 70yrs, maybe our tax base could support more beautification projects.

Edited by Clefan98
typo
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Clefan98 said:

If so many people didn't run away from the city during the last 70yrs, maybe our tax base could support more beautification projects.

Poured and finished concrete is  $130-150/cubic yard. It’s not a money issue. It’s a lazy, piss poor design work issue.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 1

Construction work has become noticeable on the new $7 million dining Hall and main entrance for Saint Edward high school on Detroit Avenue in Lakewood. More: https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/06/construction-for-st-edward-high-schools-7-million-expansion-set-to-begin-this-summer.html

FB_IMG_1566151744997.jpg

FB_IMG_1566151748031.jpg

Construction of the Truck Park is set to begin within a month.  Goal is to have it open by New Years Eve. The main building will be roughly 3200sf, with a full bar, kitchen, and roll up glass garage doors. 

• Like 5

Truck Park financing in place and ready to go. That corner will finally get built up. Gonna make for a cool environment with the tee ball field across the street, Plank Road Tavern across Detroit, El Carnicero next door.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

The first phase of Lakewood's Rockport Square, maybe 15 years old, isn't aging well...

IMG_20190906_081302.jpg

That cheap brick facing is the worst.  I wonder if they really saved enough money to make it worth the extra maintenance and repair work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, X said:

That cheap brick facing is the worst.  I wonder if they really saved enough money to make it worth the extra maintenance and repair work.

Agree 100%.  And what is even worst is that I don't think anybody is actually doing any maintenance or repair work.  Doesn't Lakewood have exterior inspections on a regular basis?  I know Cleveland Heights does (for what it is worth...doesn't seem like they have resources to enforce much of the time except for the worst cases).

2 minutes ago, RE Developer In Training said:

Yikes... Who built phase 1?  Zaremba?

Didn't a division or subsidiary of Forest City have something to do with it?

6 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Didn't a division or subsidiary of Forest City have something to do with it?

Yes

The now defunct Rysar Properties built those. They were never know for quality. I believe Forest City split with them after the first set of townhomes, the much nicer ones across from the 5 o’clock. A friend of mine used to live in one. Was very well done, and even had a one man elevator. 

Edited by marty15

I posted the picture on the Lakewood Facebook forum. After about 20 posts in response, the page owner shut down the conversation because he/she strangely believed that the photo/conversation criticized the homeowner. Quite the contrary. It criticized the builder as well as the city for allowing cheap materials/techniques to be used.

I don't know how accurate Google Street View is when it comes to photo dates, but here's a view of the same property from October 2018. If the facing deteriorated this quickly, it makes me wonder if it was vandalism. But if it crumbled on its own, then the neighboring walls aren't far behind.

lakewood.jpg

Edited by RoabeArt

A friend on Twitter said a car may have hit it.

Beer Garden & Food Truck ground breaking and demo coming soon to Edwards & Detroit avenues in Lakewood! Photo by Benjamin John.

FB_IMG_1569295148751.jpg

• Like 4