Lakewood: Development and News

Guest grasscat

On 1/27/2020 at 1:30 PM, cle25 said:

^^^ Wagar Park construction work out for bid today, construction to begin in March.

https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/wagar-park-renovation-begins-search-contractor

Further update on Wagar Park construction - contractor selected and work still on track to start next month.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2020/02/lakewoods-wagar-park-revitalization-project-set-to-begin-next-month.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Council President o'Malley is reporting that Lakewood’s Planning Commission has given permit approval for the redevelopment of the former BiRite building in Birdtown. Looking forward to seeing this vacant building come back to life!

FB_IMG_1582591241294.jpg

FB_IMG_1582591245486.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

27 minutes ago, surfohio said:

They're back! I love the folks at Phoenix, they are such good people. Hopefully they and Rising Star can both do well along this stretch. There are a LOT of great coffee spots in Lakewood. 

A few years ago, I remember thinking that it was surprising how few coffee shops there were in Lakewood.  Since then, Rising Star, Goodkind, Brewella’s, Addicted, Playgrounds, Caffeine, Starbucks, and Burning River Coffee have all popped up and places like KB Confections and Ice Cream Joy added a cafe element.  I’m sure I’m even missing a few.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, cle25 said:

Any news from the meeting?

Answering my own question. 

https://patch.com/ohio/lakewood-oh/view-ward-2-issue-6

According to the author of the article (Shachner, Ward 2 Councilman), the Board was pleased overall with the modifications Solove made to the Barry Buick project design over the past few months. Solove will make some further revisions and return to the March meeting for approval. Sounds like some of the nearby residents expressed concerns on traffic (I assume it's this group of NIMBYs: http://lakewoodobserver.com/read/2019/04/03/orchard-grove-residents-resist-new-developments), but it doesn't appear to be a serious concern.

Side note, the Observer opinion piece is hilarious IMO. This guy is concerned, among other things, about what "kind of people" will be living in the apartments, and what sort of threat they could pose to his children and pets. It's Lakewood man, sheesh...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, marty15 said:

It doesn’t mention it, but the rendering appears to show a demolished commercial building that sits on the corner of Detroit and Rockway. Hope that’s not the case.

That is the case.  It will be replaced with green space.  

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

It's too bad there's no investment happening in Lakewood these days...

Big News! The Madison Branch of Lakewood Public Library will be undergoing a major renovation, including a better integration with Madison Park. This library is such a critical resource for the Birdtown neighborhood and beyond - 2,000 kids a year come in for homework help! The building was designed by Walker & Weeks, who also designed Severance Hall, the Hope Memorial Bridge and many other landmark structures around Cleveland.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2020/02/lakewood-public-library-madison-branch-planning-29-million-renovation-including-additional-driveway.html

• Like 8

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Superscript Comics and Games to open in Lakewood

Updated 12:35 PM; Today 11:26 AM

By Anne Nickoloff, cleveland.com

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- Superscript Comics and Games will be the product of a lifetime of nerding out for owners Elliott Frank, Christine Frank and Nick Kratsas.

The new board game and comic-book shop is slated to open at 13361 Madison Ave. in Lakewood in early May, selling a variety of tabletop games, comic books, manga, collectible toys, trading card games and more. The shop will also feature locally made board games and comic books.

Superscript will have an equal emphasis on board games and comic books, offering selections for seasoned hobbyists and also items for new fans and kids. The owners aim for any kind of nerd to find something they can enjoy inside Superscript. “Our governing principle is, we want the store to be accessible to any level of interest or enthusiasm about the product,” Elliott said.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/03/superscript-comics-and-games-to-open-in-lakewood.html

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Superscript Comics and Games to open in Lakewood

Updated 12:35 PM; Today 11:26 AM

By Anne Nickoloff, cleveland.com

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- Superscript Comics and Games will be the product of a lifetime of nerding out for owners Elliott Frank, Christine Frank and Nick Kratsas.

The new board game and comic-book shop is slated to open at 13361 Madison Ave. in Lakewood in early May, selling a variety of tabletop games, comic books, manga, collectible toys, trading card games and more. The shop will also feature locally made board games and comic books.

Superscript will have an equal emphasis on board games and comic books, offering selections for seasoned hobbyists and also items for new fans and kids. The owners aim for any kind of nerd to find something they can enjoy inside Superscript. “Our governing principle is, we want the store to be accessible to any level of interest or enthusiasm about the product,” Elliott said.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/03/superscript-comics-and-games-to-open-in-lakewood.html

This is not really my thing but I am glad to see some new retail in Lakewood. 

22 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Solove Development project at Bunt and Detroit is going before the Planning Commission tonight for conditional use.

http://www.onelakewood.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/PCAgenda_030520.pdf

I was told it's gone from eight stories to four but with possible retail on the Detroit frontage. But I don't really get that from the site plan.

1 minute ago, KJP said:

I was told it's gone from eight stories to four but with possible retail on the Detroit frontage. But I don't really get that from the site plan.

The overall site plan looks a bit better IMHO. They will be positioned well if they ever get the opportunity to buy out Bruce's Auto Repair property. I do hope there will be some sort of retail frontage. 

• Like 1

Here's the site plan. Definitely sets it up for future redevelopment of George Shaker's property/current Bruce's Automotive. Talked to someone living near the project site who asked why an entrance/exit off Bunts with right turns only wasn't proposed.

ESWqY9XXkAEdJtN?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how they adjust the traffic flow or the design of the buildings, the residents of Parkwood DO NOT want this thing built. I was ironically at one of the original planning commission meetings for something else. It was quite comical the things they were throwing out there to try to give reasoning why it shouldn't be approved ?

• Like 3

Just now, YO to the CLE said:

It doesn't matter how they adjust the traffic flow or the design of the buildings, the residents of Parkwood DO NOT want this thing built. I was ironically at one of the original planning commission meetings for something else. It was quite comical the things they were throwing out there to try to give reasoning why it shouldn't be approved ?

This is why NIMBY's should really just be ignored. Their criticism is not in good faith. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YO to the CLE said:

I could well imagine.  Some of the stuff opponents of Top of the Hill in Cleveland Heights would come up with (at the 900 public meetings or during public comment at city council meetings) were often from outer space.  It was often actually embarrassing to witness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freefourur said:

My thinking on a Bunts road exit is that Bruce's has an exit right there and the GetGo has an exit right across the street. it would seem that there could be traffic flow problems with all of those exits so close. 

I understand why you wouldn't want to have left turns to/from Bunts. But right turns shouldn't be a problem.

25 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Did anyone attend the Planning Commission meeting or know what transpired?  

A NIMBY stood up and complained that this project would put any and all left-handed, color blind, unicyclists with webbed feet in grave danger, and it should be opposed. 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Did anyone attend the Planning Commission meeting or know what transpired?  

It was postponed until next month.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

A NIMBY stood up and complained that this project would put any and all left-handed, color blind, unicyclists with webbed feet in grave danger, and it should be opposed. 

Also, nobody thought about how this might affect the ability to view a solar eclipse from one precise spot on the sidewalk. How can you say that there's been due diligence, when nobody considered this?

Edited by freefourur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

edgewater-cove-lakewood.jpg

TUESDAY, MARCH 10, 2020

Seeds & Sprouts V - Early intel on real estate projects

Lakewood landmark gets new owner, rehab pledge

Adam Hayoun, who is best known for renovating historic structures in Ohio City, has bought 12065 Edgewater Dr. in Lakewood for $1,800,000 on March 2, according to county records. Hayoun, dba MSH Edgewater Investment LLC, acquired the 25-unit, 1927-built apartment building from 12065 Edgewater LLC.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/03/seeds-sprouts-v-early-intel-on-real.html

• Like 5

Beck Center raises the roof on renovations to 100-year-old Lakewood campus

https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/breaking-ground/BeckCenter031020.aspx

The Beck Center for the Arts has a long history of enriching the Northeast Ohio community through performing arts, arts education, visual art, and therapy programs.

But the 87-year-old Lakewood institution at 17801 Detroit Ave. needs a bit of a facelift to its 3.5-acre campus to keep serving the 60,000 people who rely on the Beck Center annually for entertainment and services.

On Tuesday, March 10, Beck officials will kick off the public portion of its $5.7 million “Creating our Future” capital campaign to update two buildings—one of which is more than 100 years old—and raze a third building to bring the complex into the 21st century.

(Note: article also includes site plan.)

9B9FA7A7-2F2B-4991-B672-55B013DD0AC7.jpeg.64ef377292f3fda2d257ee47ac4de4c9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ytown2ctown
15 hours ago, KJP said:

I just moved around the corner from this project. Love the area, progress, and hopefully it will continue to grow!

15 minutes ago, ytown2ctown said:

I just moved around the corner from this project. Love the area, progress, and hopefully it will continue to grow!

Welcome to my neighborhood! Let's get coffee/breakfast at the Shore when this pandemic blows over.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Distill Table in Lakewood Announces Plans to Permanently Close

Sad news to report out of Lakewood as Distill Table announces that it will close its doors for good as a result of the pandemic. The small, buzzy space is not conducive to any sort of social distancing. Following is a note from management describing the painful decision.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/05/08/distill-table-in-lakewood-announces-plans-to-permanently-close

• Sad 2

That is too bad, ate there for the first time last year and it was great!  Also got hand sanitizer from the distillery ?

I am worried about smaller restaurants that cant really reconfigure... think of the tiny places in Little Italy, etc... and then I think about NYC, where in many restaurants you are practically seated on top of each other.  This is gonna be rough.

Edited by mrclifton88

10 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

That is too bad, ate there for the first time last year and it was great!  Also got hand sanitizer from the distillery ?

I am worried about smaller restaurants that cant really reconfigure... think of the tiny places in Little Italy, etc... and then I think about NYC, where in many restaurants you are practically seated on top of each other.  This is gonna be rough.

the city should close streets and allow restaurants to set up tables on the roadway.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This could be an interesting site for a multi-family or attached townhouse-type development....

REAL ESTATE AVAILABLE FOR SALE

Madison - Cordova Loop
Located at the corner of Madison Avenue and Cordova Avenue
Property Size: 0.173 acres
Parcel IDs: 313-21-030 and 313-21-031

http://www.riderta.com/realestate

staticmap?key=AIzaSyC2r9uRSDbPVBnpe3mqfB

• Like 1

• Like 10

10 hours ago, KJP said:

Proud to say I had a very small hand in this. My cousin’s company did the build out. He also did Deagan’s, Humble, Ninja City 1 & 2, Southside, and numerous other local establishments. Ohio North Construction is his company.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it really be so difficult for Cleveland.com (I need to read the print before I click these links here...) to get a site plan or some renderings? Or at least link to them. They don't even say which corner of the intersection these will be located. I'm guessing the NE corner, but there's alot of talk about sharing the parking lot they're going to be on, so perhaps they're going to be behind the church? 

Southeast corner of Madison and Marlowe where St. Clements stood until January of this year....

On 1/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, tykaps said:

I don't think anyone has posted the site plan yet for the St. Clements townhouses so here you go:

Screenshot_20200127-173619.thumb.png.12d547d5bc3b39b911618b835a38fbc1.png

AND

On 2/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, KJP said:

More...

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

I think this is a great idea, except I've never understood this stipulation:

“Also, the affordable housing has to be on par with the upgrades and amenities of every other unit.”

Why does affordable housing need granite countertops, high end appliances, etc?  Safe, sanitary, affordable...anything else is just driving up the price unnecessarily.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, X said:

I think this is a great idea, except I've never understood this stipulation:

“Also, the affordable housing has to be on par with the upgrades and amenities of every other unit.”

Why does affordable housing need granite countertops, high end appliances, etc?  Safe, sanitary, affordable...anything else is just driving up the price unnecessarily.

I think it is fair if the city were to offer 15 year tax abatement as an incentive. That would be a very valuable subsidy in Lakewood. Most deals pencil out without subsidy, therefore, if the developer doesn't want to do affordable housing they don't have to. At least that's how i read the proposal.

Edited by freefourur
  • Like 1