Lakewood: Development and News

Guest grasscat

I think these units are going to sell like crazy. The location is great, and the views are probably incredible. It would have been nice though if they could have incorporated some more landscaping along the terraces. To me part of the attraction of the cliffs along the river is all the green.

In the Lakewood Observer, there's several drawings, and they do show that off Sloane, there will be a parking lot; probably not a lot of visible building, other than the top-most layer of townhouses.  Interestingly enough, it looks like the bulk of the buildings will actually be below the rather ugly high-rise apartment building that overlooks the valley.  So while this will be a nice development for those who live in it, and will look interesting from the other side of the river, I don't think it's going to beautify Sloane Avenue that much.  I'm hopeful for collateral development to grow from this, but seeing as a new Dollar General ultra-discount store just opened up on Sloane, it probably won't happen anytime soon.  Or soon enough!

Still, I'm glad to see some more development.  If this gets accomplished, add it to Rockport, Rosewood, the new Library, the new YMCA, the new Sherwin-Williams and Walgreen's stores, and the renovation and rebuilding of the schools.  That's a LOT of development going on in essentially a pretty small suburb!

• 2 weeks later...

From the 5/18/06 Lakewood Sun Post:

Final touches placed on park improvements

Thursday, May 18, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

Lakewood's lakefront is getting a new look.

With only a week away from its unveiling, the finishing touches are being put on the new all-purpose trail, a handicap accessible ramp and waterside promenade.

The Lakewood Park project, which began construction in August of 2005, has been in the works for more than four years.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/114797076434560.xml&coll=3

• 2 weeks later...

From the 6/8/06 Lakewood Sun Post:

Air cleared on Rockport

Thursday, June 08, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

What started off on a rocky note ended on a more positive one at a neighborhood meeting to discuss the progress of Rockport Square.

The meeting Monday at Rockport Square's Hopkins Avenue location allowed Lakewood residents the chance to voice concerns about the progress of the project.

I left the meeting last night in some ways feeling better but in some ways more disheartened, said Lyz Bly, a Fry Avenue homeowner.

According to several Fry Avenue residents who were in attendance, some of their concerns were addressed and put at ease, while many still feel as though they are left in the dark about future plans for the Rockport Square project.

The meeting was hosted by Rysar Property's owner Ken Lurie and Forest City's project manager Eli Miller. About 20 individuals turned out for the open forum.

Those in attendance discussed their concerns, including the failure to maintain Rysar's property, the recent arson committed in three vacant homes along Fry Avenue, the stability of future Rockport plans, the lack of communication between area homeowners, the developer and the city and the rumors that Rysar may be handing the project over to another company.

One break-through made at the meeting was the proposal and acceptance of the neighbors' proposition to use the land created by the demolition of the three vacant homes as green space for neighborhood children to use.

We wanted a place for the kids to play and we will make every effort for Rysar to go through with it, said Bly.

Miller addressed residents, explaining that street sweepers had been working with Rysar to keep the neighborhood clean and will continue to do so.

While the residents got the response they wanted in terms of the vacant lots, many still felt as though they do not have a sense of what is going on the north side of Detroit Avenue.

What is happening with the north side of Detroit? When do we get to see the plans of the future phases? Bly asked.

According to Lurie, the neighborhood got a little restless because they did not see any new construction taking place recently.

This isn't a project that will be finished overnight, said Lurie. It's a phase project.

Tom Jordan, city director of planning and development, said that after the arson in April, the city granted a demolition permit for the vacant homes, despite the fact that the site has not been incorporated into the development project.

Demolition of the three vacant homes along Fry Avenue was set to begin Wednesday.

According to Kelly Standish of Rysar, We have been working with the building department to get the necessary signatures to demolish the houses and we have applied to the EPA for demolition approval. We will begin tapping the sewers ... and demolition will occur shortly after.

In two weeks, a Cleveland Clinic facility will also break ground on the old Doc Heben location, which is part of Rysar's property. According the Lurie, Rysar bought the land for $300,000 and it was sold to the Clinic to house a medical building.

Rysar and Forest City are also getting ready to begin construction on four more housing units.

Lastly, Lurie and Jordan addressed the rumor that Rysar may be leaving the Rockport Square project.

There is a development plan and timeline and we will stick to it, said Lurie. We will be there as long as we're supposed to be.

Jordan backed up this statement saying, We're under an agreement signed by Rysar, Forest City and the city of Lakewood. There have been no proposed changes to the development agreement or the partnership agreement with the city.

Over the next several months, Lurie and Miller have agreed to work on keeping the communication flowing with neighborhood residents, whether it be on Rysar's Web site or through newspaper updates.

There is a lot of behind the scenes working going on. We've been working very hard, said Lurie. I respect the neighbors' concerns and I am very familiar with the community process.

I respect the community process and we want to be a good neighbor, Lurie added. If they neighbors want to open the communication lines, we'll be happy to do it and if they want green space for their kids, they can have it.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1149785005287690.xml&coll=3

I live one block from Fry and I never before heard a peep about an arson until I read this article. Let alone three homes set afire. I'll have to stroll by and take a look.

Glad to hear the Cleveland Clinic is pressing ahead with its building. I hope it's more than just a one-story, suburban-style building with a parking in front. Put the damn lot in back, or maybe on the side.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully this moves forward and sales pick up--7 out of 17 townhouses sold seemed a bit low.  Should be great for the neighborhood if it gets fully built out.

Design delays project

Thursday, July 06, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

EDIT:  Article removed, no link and no longer on cleveland.com

Hopefully this moves forward and sales pick up--7 out of 17 townhouses sold seemed a bit low.  Should be great for the neighborhood if it gets fully built out.

That's actually more than I had thought though.  I walk by this site all the time and the same "For Sale" signs have been in the windows of the loft condos on Detroit for months.  Which surprises me, because they are very nice-looking condos.  Maybe no one wants to be facing the crappy Drug Mart.  I didn't realize so many of the units on Newman had been sold, that's good to hear.  Am I blind though?  I don't even think these have been started yet, have they?

A permit was issued for the $1.8 million Cleveland Clinic commercial building, which broke ground a week ago, and the M-unit housing in phase 1A is under way.

Is this the spot where the old Doc Hebens was?  Cuz I saw excavation work going on there yesterday.

Yes, Doc Hebens is the spot for the clinic office. I've still not seen a rendering of this building. For $1.8 million, I wouldn't expect much tho.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

thought I would stick this one in here:

Birdtown set on historical perch Effort to give neighborhood recognized district status

Thursday, July 13, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

Developed by immigrants who traveled overseas to start a new life in America, Lakewood's Birdtown not only represents the city's first functional neighborhood, but it also symbolizes the dreams and struggles of a group of hardworking settlers.

In an effort to preserve the southeastern Lakewood neighborhood's rich history, city officials and residents are working to make the area a recognized historic district.

The city of Lakewood nears the final stages of the application process with the Ohio Historic Preservation Society. The society will host a required public meeting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Lakewood City Hall to discuss the city's proposed application.

We felt that these people worked very hard when they came over to America and deserved some recognition, said Marge Stopiak, a Lakewood resident who has helped the city piece together the community's history. They struggled, relied on one another and helped each other out. It was not an easy life, but they did a good job surviving.

Established in 1892, Birdtown was erected by a group of European immigrants, much of the Slovakian decent, who came to work for the National Carbon Company.

As the factory grew, so did its need for more workers. Recruiting more immigrants, the company soon realized it needed to provide housing for its many laborers.

National Carbon Company purchased the surrounding land and Pleasant Hill Land Company developed it, dividing it into 424 lots and eight streets, each named after a bird.

In 1900, 425 residents occupied Birdtown, and by 1910, the neighborhood reached its peak residential capacity of 2,186 inhabitants.

From 1892 until 1920 the town thrived. According to Stopiak, those that lived in Birdtown were a very self-sufficient group of people. Once settled in, the residents started their own businesses. Birdtown contained three dairies, a bakery, a dance hall, a funeral home, a photography studio, a bank, a beauty shop, many family-run grocery stores and meat markets, churches, a school, a doctor's office and a day care.

Today, many of the buildings and homes remain.

It was the greatest neighborhood and a unique area, said Stopiak.

The quest to make Birdtown a historic district started during Madeline Cain's term in office as mayor. According to Meredith Karger, an assistant in the planning and development department, the first draft of the city's application was sent last October to the Ohio Historic Preservation Society for review.

The 200-page form included a history of the neighborhood, an account of all its major buildings, an inventory of the homes including building date, architecture style and architect, and a classification of each building's contribution to Birdtown's antiquity.

In December, the form was returned to the department for revisions. Together, Lakewood and the Cleveland Historical Society modified the application and resubmitted it to the organization.

Karger explained that following the public meeting, the state will present Lakewood's document to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

By the end of August a final vote will determine if Birdtown will become a recognized historic district.

It's been a lengthy process, said Tom Jordan, city director of planning and development. But we believe it will end positively.

thought I would stick this one in here:

Birdtown set on historical perch Effort to give neighborhood recognized district status

Thursday, July 13, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

Developed by immigrants who traveled overseas to start a new life in America, Lakewood's Birdtown not only represents the city's first functional neighborhood, but it also symbolizes the dreams and struggles of a group of hardworking settlers.

In an effort to preserve the southeastern Lakewood neighborhood's rich history, city officials and residents are working to make the area a recognized historic district.

The city of Lakewood nears the final stages of the application process with the Ohio Historic Preservation Society. The society will host a required public meeting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Lakewood City Hall to discuss the city's proposed application.

We felt that these people worked very hard when they came over to America and deserved some recognition, said Marge Stopiak, a Lakewood resident who has helped the city piece together the community's history. They struggled, relied on one another and helped each other out. It was not an easy life, but they did a good job surviving.

Established in 1892, Birdtown was erected by a group of European immigrants, much of the Slovakian decent, who came to work for the National Carbon Company.

As the factory grew, so did its need for more workers. Recruiting more immigrants, the company soon realized it needed to provide housing for its many laborers.

National Carbon Company purchased the surrounding land and Pleasant Hill Land Company developed it, dividing it into 424 lots and eight streets, each named after a bird.

In 1900, 425 residents occupied Birdtown, and by 1910, the neighborhood reached its peak residential capacity of 2,186 inhabitants.

From 1892 until 1920 the town thrived. According to Stopiak, those that lived in Birdtown were a very self-sufficient group of people. Once settled in, the residents started their own businesses. Birdtown contained three dairies, a bakery, a dance hall, a funeral home, a photography studio, a bank, a beauty shop, many family-run grocery stores and meat markets, churches, a school, a doctor's office and a day care.

Today, many of the buildings and homes remain.

It was the greatest neighborhood and a unique area, said Stopiak.

The quest to make Birdtown a historic district started during Madeline Cain's term in office as mayor. According to Meredith Karger, an assistant in the planning and development department, the first draft of the city's application was sent last October to the Ohio Historic Preservation Society for review.

The 200-page form included a history of the neighborhood, an account of all its major buildings, an inventory of the homes including building date, architecture style and architect, and a classification of each building's contribution to Birdtown's antiquity.

In December, the form was returned to the department for revisions. Together, Lakewood and the Cleveland Historical Society modified the application and resubmitted it to the organization.

Karger explained that following the public meeting, the state will present Lakewood's document to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

By the end of August a final vote will determine if Birdtown will become a recognized historic district.

It's been a lengthy process, said Tom Jordan, city director of planning and development. But we believe it will end positively.

Awesome news about Birdtown!!! I believe my street, Dowd Ave, is the only one in Birdtown not named after a bird.

People on the cleveland.com food and wine forum are talking about Trader Joe's opening at Rockport.  Anyone hear anything about that?

I hope that's true!  I was thinking that would be a perfect spot for a whole foods store.  Or maybe I'm biased because I live right near there....

It would be nice, but I'm pretty sure it's wishful thinking.  Trader Joe's already has two locations in Cleveland; why would they put on only 15 minutes from another one?  I'd think that if they wanted to put another one in the Cleveland market, they'd head down I-77 or I-71 and put it in Strongsville, Brecksville, or Medina.  As much as I'd like for this to be true, I have a feeling it's not.  Now, how about a nice bookstore at Rockport?

The northeast corner of Lakewood, northwest corner of Cleveland's Edgewater neighborhood, is a perfect place for a Trader Joe's. It's an area where people walk to the grocery store or take the community circle. When Giant Eagle moves down to I-90, that's too far for me. I'm shopping at Kresse's or maybe Tops on Bunts. The latter is probably just as far as Giant Eagle will be soon, but Tops is easier to get to.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I had heard in the past year that FCE had threatened to pull out. Now they are taking over the entire project.  Good, maybe now Rysar can concentrate on builing those Clinton Courts across the street from my house.

Forest City takes over all of Rockport Square project

By Henry Gomez

September 11, 2006

Forest City Enterprises Inc. (NYSE: FCE-A) has taken full ownership of Rockport Square, a $40 million Lakewood mixed-use residential/retail project it was developing with Rysar Properties.

Bill Sanderson, vice president of joint ventures for Forest City Land Group, described the split as "amenable." He said Forest City and Rysar continue to work together elsewhere. Financial terms were not disclosed, but there will be some trade-offs on those other projects...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing rumblings that the vacant Spitzer car dealership on West 117th near Madison and the rapid station is to be redeveloped -- with an Aldi's grocery store and a bank. While both of these may be built "on the sidewalk" I consider this to be a major missed opportunity. Spitzer's real estate division is supposedly pursuing the project.

As a Lakewood resident and advocate of transit-oriented development, I wouldn't mind the Aldi's and the bank -- as long as they are topped by 3-4 stories of for-sale housing.

I don't know if this development is going to go all the way to the corner of West 117th and Madison, or if it will be relegated only to the Spitzer property. I hope it does go to the street corner -- meaning it could keep the little diner, the Subway restaurant and the wine store on the ground floor of a decent sized mixed-use development. Oh how I wish others shared my preferences for TOD near transit stations.... sigh.

Well, that project on the banks of the Rocky River has not broken ground like they said it would.  I lament the loss the homes on the bluff, but I think that this is different enough of a project that it won't compete that much with downtown housing. If it can bring in empty nesters from the burbs who are afraid of anything east of 117, then this project will be a real plus for Lakewood. The strong that Lakewood stays, the better the future of the Clifton-Edgewater neighborhood.

From the 9/28/06 Lakewood Sun Post:

Hospital heading east

Thursday, September 28, 2006

By Lisa Novatny

Lakewood Sun Post

Lakewood Hospital is branching out.

The hospital recently announced plans to expand to Rockport Square, a mixed-use development project managed by Forest City Enterprises Inc. that is under construction at the eastern end of Detroit Avenue.

The new $1 million facility will provide 5,400 square feet of space along Detroit and Newman avenues and will feature physicians specializing in primary care and family medicine.

While the facility will initially start off with three physicians, according to Jack Gustin, chief administrative officer of Lakewood Hospital, by the spring of 2007, the hospital plans to add specialists to the staff, such as an endocrinologist, who will work at that location and also at the hospital in the Diabetes Center of Excellence.

Establishing the Rockport location to provide primary care services dovetails nicely with our long-term strategy to continue to invest our resources in the community as well as support the economic growth of Lakewood, said Fred DeGrandis, chief executive officer of the Cleveland Clinic Health System-Western Region.

We are in the midst of an aggressive physician recruitment plan and have been successful in adding some of the area's best physicians to our exceptional physician network over the last year or so. With the addition of the Rockport site, we will be partnering with seven outstanding physicians specializing in internal and family medicine in three medical buildings within the city of Lakewood.

The need for the expansion is due to Lakewood Hospital's commitment to the city along with the recent national studies, which show how prevalent certain diseases are in society today.

Chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes and hypertension are at epidemic levels, said Gustin. We want to reach out to this area, which has been under-served in the past and provide early diagnosis, treatment and more importantly, education about prevention and wellness.

The Rockport location gives us a greater opportunity to better meet community needs and bring our services closer to the areas' neighborhoods, Gustin added. It will give us greater access to care for those living and working at the eastern edge of Lakewood and the investment, both people and monetary, demonstrates our commitment to the city of Lakewood.

The growth and development into Rockport Square carries on Lakewood Hospital's multi-year strategic plan. Already, a great amount of time and energy, along with millions of dollars, have been invested into the renovation of the hospital's lobby and restaurant/cafeteria, along with its cardiac catherization lab and device clinic. The hospital's admitting office is under renovation as well, and soon the birthing center will undergo a reformation.

According to the press release, the hospital, along with its west side Cleveland Clinic hospital partners, has invested more than $150 million in health facilities since 1997.

Not only does it provide additional medical care and services to the community but it will also help to stimulate economy in Lakewood and enhance the community in a positive way, said DeGrandis. Expanding really makes a statement about investing in the community.

The project is tentatively scheduled for completion in mid-February.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1159461911246930.xml&coll=3

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone ever wonder if Lakewood offers better urban living then downtown Cleveland and may win out over the years with it's good school district, intact retail amenities alond with a still arelatively cheap and dense housing stock. 

I don't think so. Lakewood is very nice, but it just doesn't offer the amenities that downtown does. Rockport Square has been a very slow seller--an indication that Lakewood does not attract those who want an urban lifestyle.

Does anyone ever wonder if Lakewood offers better urban living then downtown Cleveland and may win out over the years with it's good school district, intact retail amenities alond with a still arelatively cheap and dense housing stock. 

That remains to be seen and I'm not, however, couldn't the same could be said for Western Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts?  they are as dense as Lakewood, good schools, but have better transportation and retail.

I don't think Lakewood necessarily offers "better" urban living, but I'd say it offers a good compromise of density, transit access, etc. along with decent schools.  It's a good option for people who want to be close to the city, but want good public schools, something Cleveland can't offer - yet.

I could be wrong, but I thought Lakewood had the highest population density of any city in Ohio.  Again, I don't know that for sure.

That remains to be seen and I'm not, however, couldn't the same could be said for Western Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts?  they are as dense as Lakewood, good schools, but have better transportation and retail.

I just bought a house on Clifton in Lakewood instead of a place at the Walker & Weeks Building in downtown. I have a lot of faith in downtown, but I chose Lakewood because of its dense, urban atmosphere. Lakewood is full of joggers, bikers, dog walkers, public transit riders and also has a nice retail mix which downtown Cleveland is still lacking. I can look out my window at almost any hour of the day and see pedestrians doing their thing. I live within walking distance to 2 Drug Marts, a Marc's, 2 Giant Eagle's, a Tops, and 5-10 other 24-hour stores. There's children, there's senior citizens, there's middle class people, there's all kinds of people. And lots of them! It's an urban mix of people and retail that made me move here.

The Giant Eagle on 117 isn't closing is it? I'll pitch a fit! I can walk to that grocery store and buy ice cream at nearly any time!!!

That store isn't in Lakewood. It's in Cleveland. And there's still a strong chance it may end up at I-90 and West 117th. But everything is up in the air since the announcement of Giant Eagle acquiring those 18 Tops stores.

BizBiz, you must live farther west on Clifton, such as in the area of Warren/Bunts? That's not a very mixed-use area, not until you get south of the tracks. Then I would call it the Detroit Road corridor. And, yes, that's a very active area at most hours of the day or night.

The Giant Eagle on 117 isn't closing is it? I'll pitch a fit! I can walk to that grocery store and buy ice cream at nearly any time!!!

That store isn't in Lakewood. It's in Cleveland. And there's still a strong chance it may end up at I-90 and West 117th. But everything is up in the air since the announcement of Giant Eagle acquiring those 18 Tops stores.

F-THAT!

I think people interested in urban dwellings are young professionals, empty nesters, retirees, or single (for the most part). These groups are willing to trade-off the convenience of retail and better schools (most don’t have kids) for downtown living.

Downtown has much more to offer such as historical architecture, great skyline views, professional sports, theaters, up-scale restaurants, nightlife, etc. Lakewood offers some of but not all of these amenities.

As mayday mentioned above, Lakewood is a good option for people that have kids and want good schools. Families are just not willing to trade-off their kids education for the amenities of downtown. This is something Cleveland needs to work on. Cleveland needs to attract families back into the city as well (not just downtown). I don’t think the YP’s, Singles, etc. will make Cleveland rebound without attracting families to the city as well.

Downtown has much more to offer such as historical architecture, great skyline views, professional sports, theaters, up-scale restaurants, nightlife, etc. Lakewood offers some of but not all of these amenities.

Lakewood's historical architecture (a very brief glimpse):

covelakewood.jpg

Lakewood6.jpg

Lakewood4.jpg

Lakewood's great skyline views:

Lakewood28.jpg

Plus, Lakewood's own skyline....

LakewoodZoom2.jpg

Lakewood15.jpg

Lakewood's professional sports:

Eds_Iggy_foto3b.jpg

OK, so it's not professional sports. But where downtown can you rent an apartment and enjoy some of the best high school football in the state from your own balcony or your building's roof? You can on Madison Avenue. And downtown Cleveland's sports venues are just a 15-minute trip east on the #55 bus or Red Line train...

Lakewood's theaters:

The Phantasy Theater (a movie theater turned concert club on Detroit Avenue)...

220301291_l.jpg

Beck Center for the Arts...

PorgyBess_01.jpg

And we still have the Detroit movie theater.

Lakewood's up-scale restaurants:

295_logo.jpg

Pier W (in Winton Place - taller than any residential building downtown!)

PierW%20small%20pic.jpg

Swingos on the Lake (in the Carlyle)

http://www.swingos.com/

Plus a few other restaurants that are borderline fine dining.

Lakewood's nightlife:

The entire Madison Avenue has numerous clubs, many of which are cozy little taverns. But there are larger, more thematic places along the "Madison Walk" -- so named for the birthday ritual of having one free drink at every establishment along Madison. If you can do them all (30+) in a day, congratulations! You've just completed the Madison Walk.

Lakewood7.jpg

At the northwest corner of the city are a collection of clubs, including the Riverwood Cafe, Around the Corner and others. In the northeast corner along Detroit Avenue are a number of concert clubs. In addition to the Phantasy Theater are the 5 O'clock Club, the Hi-Fi Club, The Chamber....

1271114240_l.jpg

...and mixed in among these venues is the Virginia Marti College....

vmcad.jpg

Oh, and by the way, Lakewood has a pretty decent school district, too.

True, Lakewood is very similar to Cleveland Heights in many ways. But we have a better lakefront!

And at Pier W, the food is better than average, but often not worth the price, IMHO. You're paying for the view. After dinner, wander out on the overlook deck to get a better view. If it's a windy night, hang on to the railing! The gusts there are ferocious!!

KJP: Thank you for posting the pictures from Lakewood, and more specifically the one from Winton Place (Pier W). Lakewood is truly a beautiful city.

After leaving Ohio for college in Florida 17 years ago, this only complicates my decision on where to buy if I relocate to the Buckeye State. Both downtown and Lakewood have a lot to offer which makes my decision all that much harder.

Until then, I will continue to decipher through all that NEO has to offer to make an informative decision.

KJP: Thank you for posting the pictures from Lakewood, and more specifically the one from Winton Place (Pier W). Lakewood is truly a beautiful city.

After leaving Ohio for college in Florida 17 years ago, this only complicates my decision on where to buy if I relocate to the Buckeye State. Both downtown and Lakewood have a lot to offer which makes my decision all that much harder.

Until then, I will continue to decipher through all that NEO has to offer to make an informative decision.

Downtown. There is no other choice.

Yeah, at least I'm pimping my own digs.

Ohio City and other Cleveland neighborhoods are not 'downtown', they are in the 'city' as opposed to the suburbs.  The general populace refers to Edgewater, Tremont, Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, Westpark, and Little Italy as 'downtown'. Whenever someone asks me where Tremont is, "like is that downtown?" I say "No, it is in the city. This is a pet peeve of mine and I try to break this ingrained habit out of Greater Cleveland speech whenever I encounter it. Bust anyway wimwar; living in the 'city' is just as commendable as living 'downtown'.

I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

Btw, my interpretation of wimwar's post is that he is recommending downtown. I can see that he is from Ohio City.

I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

People make that mistake all the time.  It was built as the "gateway" to shaker hts, as shaker hts semi-wraps around Shaker Square-Larchmere.  Some streets around here literally change over from shaker <-> Cleveland in mid block, so your neighbor (or the person directly across the street) could be in Shaker but you'd be in Cleveland. If I walk out of my door and cross the street I'm in Shaker.

A young lady I casually know, had "shaker hts" on her payroll and tax information instead of "Cleveland", for well over a year.  You know she got screwed!

^I'm the same way; and I also correct anyone who mistakes my 'hood for Lakewood. It's "city OF..." thankyouverymuch!

I don't even go so far to say "city OF". There is one true "city" in Northeast Ohio, and that's Cleveland. When you say city, people should understand that to be Cleveland proper.

Has anyone else noticed that they have started clearing ground for the Rockport Square project between Ridgewood and Winchester streets?  According to their site plan, this would be Phase 2.  But they haven't started Phase 1B yet, they are almost done with Phase 1A.  I wonder if they are skipping 1B because they don't have any retail interest?  But it seems a little odd to jump over to that plot rather than build outward from the existing condos and keep the development continguous.

I noticed this week as well.  The block that they are starting will be more townhomes, much like the block already nearly complete. 

This is a bit weird because I was told by the sales agent in June/July that the retail/lofts building was "about to break ground"; they were "waiting for a few more pre sales".  They already had about 10 or 12 presales back then, so not sure what the hold-up is.