Guest grasscat

Norwood: Development and News

^I think you're referring to Emma Dimasi...she lived on the corner of Dixmyth Avenue and Clifton Avenue. Dixmyth was the street that was widened there that required the acquisition and demolition of her property.

Thanks, Randy.  I guess I can't say I'm never wrong again!

The road was both widened and realigned.  This process also worked out in a way that opened up more land to Good Sam for potential expansions down the road.  This has all been discussed on this forum before, so lets please not turn this thread back into an eminent domain pissing match.

For future reference, the house of Joe Horney at 2652 Atlantic Avenue sits at 39.149846, -84.443745.  We'll have to see what ends up at this location when the future development is complete.

What is the over/under that Anderson will mark this part of the development with a special marker or something noteworthy?

Long-delayed Rookwood now back to ‘ground zero’

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/09/15/story6.html

In the end, Rookwood Exchange – that long-planned development that fought for a place in Norwood since 2003 – might better be called Rookwood’s Changed.

The developers might have acquired the last property on the site, after losing a legal battle to purchase it through eminent domain, but Rookwood Exchange will emerge as a much different project than originally planned. For starters, it has lost some of its most promising tenants, including Crate & Barrel and Arhaus Furniture. Worse, its developers are faced with an economy that has nose-dived since they launched this endeavor, with a declining housing market and very tight financing opportunities.

Before any of this goes in, I hope Norwood/Cincinnati work together to fix the interchange/traffic problems exist around all of this. If the "car" lifestyle is going to feed this development, make the developer pay to impove the road. When the Rookwood and other development was being proposed, the roads should have be repaved and upgraded with better technology to handle the increase.  I would think a new north I-71 entrance ramp with connector roads between the ramps would work much better than the current situtation.

Something like:

RookwoodExchange2.jpg

Where the yellow is new or widened road.

I don't see much of a need for it, given that there are adequate routes to the west and east that duplicate the function of the collector/distributor road. I do see a need, though, for synchronized signals to facilitate smoother traffic flows. There is nothing worse than turning off of the ramp and being stopped at the Rockwood Commons traffic signal, and then for the cross-street just ahead. Traffic departing I-71 NB should have free flow through the Commons light up to Edwards.

$200M plan for Rookwood

By Steve Kemme • skemme@enquirer.com • October 16, 2008

NORWOOD – The Rookwood Partners are planning a $200 million commercial complex on the 11-acre site at Edwards and Edmondson roads that had been in limbo because of a lengthy eminent-domain battle.

The Rookwood Exchange complex would include office and retail space, condos, a hotel and a two-story underground garage, according to preliminary plans recently filed with Norwood.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081016/BIZ01/310160110

Norwood approves project plans

By Lisa Bernard-Kuhn • lbernard@enquirer.com • January 9, 2009

NORWOOD - The plans are preliminary, but the Rookwood Partners development group is one step closer to realizing a more than six-year effort to transform a long-embattled site at Edwards and Edmondson roads into a massive commercial and retail development.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090109/BIZ01/901090355/1055/NEWS

The latest preliminary plan follows a series of proposals submitted over the years, as the project was upended by an eminent domain battle. It would include seven buildings, some as tall as 16 stories, built out in two phases. The first would include a 475,000-square-foot, 16-story office tower; a 100,000-square-foot hotel; a 90,000-square-foot building for retail or entertainment; a 120,000-square-foot medical office with retail or restaurants; and a 15-story 330,000-square-foot mixed use building for entertainment or retail and residential space.

The second phase would include a 15-story, 275,000-square-foot building for hotel, office and residential.

That's a massive project.  I'm really glad there is a residential component to this project.  It should probably sell well and add some vitality to the Rookwood area.

My sense is that they are basically getting everything lined up to go so that this can be a big splash at the front of the recovery which is when the biggest money can be made. The stuff built in the last couple years of the boom usually fails to hold its value.

The scale and layout of this project last time I saw it left a lot to be desired.  Hopefully with the economy slowing developer "progress" down, things change for the better.

A scrapped project and a Miller Valentine bankruptcy leave a lot more to be desired. What is the latest rendering? I can't find anything but the one I saw was hyper-dense. That was a few years ago though when a guy at MVG showed it to us. I'm sure it's changed since then. Remember, MVG has experience with urban development. It won't be bad but it obviously won't be downtown Cincinnati. The location will always be the best in the entire region outside of Downtown Cincinnati, for retail and office space. If it goes out of style, they can always demolish it and replace it with something better and still make a huge profit. I don't think that area will ever die. It's just too perfect, geographically.

Oh, you know, I come, I go...been kinda busy, and soon to be really busy again, but I've got about another month, and hope to spend some quality time with you'ins between now and then!

Yes, this area could certainly use more hotels, in my opinion.

I live somewhat near the Rookwood exchange site, and there are very few hotel options. You'd basically have to send someone to Kenwood or a more expensive place downtown. The area could really use a couple of mid-level chains like the Springhill Suites that was jus built near downtown.

Anyway, it's a moot point because this project might as well be dead. I'm sure something will get built eventually, but they'll probably propose something entirely different again, before a shovel turns any dirt.

Rookwood expansion to begin in spring

Seven years after the planned Rookwood Exchange development in Norwood became mired in land disputes and lawsuits, developer Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate said it will start construction on more than $100 million of retail and entertainment space and offices and residences there in the spring. The project will start to open in 2012.

Read Full Article Here: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20091102/BIZ01/911030319/

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Rookwood expansion to begin in spring

By Laura Baverman • lbaverman@enquirer.com • November 2, 2009

Seven years after the planned Rookwood Exchange development in Norwood became mired in land disputes and lawsuits, developer Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate said it will start construction on more than $100 million of retail and entertainment space and offices and residences there in the spring. The project will start to open in 2012.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091102/BIZ01/911030319/-1/frontpage/Rookwood+project+moves+forward

Kenwood Towne Place "robbed" Rookwood Phase III.

Rookwood Phase III appears to be "robbing" Millworks.

I just want a movie theater so I can avoid the pit known as Newport on the Levee.

Honestly do we need any more retail??

At least they aren't talking about a "boutique hotel".  It seems like every development is totally unaware of every other project nearby.