Guest grasscat

Norwood: Development and News

Are people just lazy and that's how they wind up in places like these? They can't be bothered to do some searching for something better? For this price range you have so many options and this is one of the worst of them. I just don't get it.

But for slightly less investment they can just market them as "romeo and juliet balconies" and still charge the exact same amount per month since apparently people are clamoring for loud, zero-view, cheaply built apartments right now.

Given what they started with, Rookwood Exchange turned into one of the worst mixed-use developments I've ever seen anywhere in my life. And I've seen quite a few.

Does anyone have the numbers for how many housing units used to sit on this site and how many businesses?

With all the public money that had to go into it, will this really be beneficial financially to Norwood in the long run? It seems like it might be because of the office building, but I'm still not sure.

Given what they started with, Rookwood Exchange turned into one of the worst mixed-use developments I've ever seen anywhere in my life. And I've seen quite a few.

I-71 now has that weird "Atlanta" vibe with midrises meeting the interstate at odd angles. 

I agree it's kinda janked, especially the weird ass parking lot, but I still feel its better than the waste of space of the other rookwood phases. I feel every U shaped shopping center with a sea of parking, like rookwood and hyde park plaza, need to just build buildings in the parking where theres a couple of stories of under or above ground parking, with more retail on the bottom, and tons of residential/office on top. Does anyone think that would be a valid way to retrofit inner ring suburbs with shopping centers like this? Are there any examples elsewhere?

I-71 now has that weird "Atlanta" vibe with midrises meeting the interstate at odd angles. 

Last time I was there I was reminded of a small scale Culver City just outside LA:

http://www.aaroads.com/california/images405/i-405_sb_exit_049_05.jpg

I was thinking the same thing on my way to the Carhart store the other day

Is the parking garage that faces I-71 finished? If so, shame on Norwood for approving that eyesore.

The whole thing as been a giveaway to the developers from the beginning. 

Is the parking garage that faces I-71 finished? If so, shame on Norwood for approving that eyesore.

Yep.  And Norwood doesn't care because this was the only piece of Norwood east of I-71.  The ugly architecture and traffic are Oakley's problem now, unfortunately.

Yep.  And Norwood doesn't care because this was the only piece of Norwood east of I-71.  The ugly architecture and traffic are Oakley's problem now, unfortunately.

The way that restaurant at the corner of Edwards and I think Smith backs up to the corner with its dumpsters showing is an affront to all that is decent.  It's a disgusting intersection where a great streetscape could have existed.  You have to wonder if they did it on purpose. 

^ It's easy to ignore since it's a typical suburban commercial outlot kind of typology that's so common you almost don't notice it.  Farther down Edwards the building that backs right up to the sidewalk is a total f-u to the street, especially because of this abomination of an entrance http://goo.gl/maps/0DFuE 

Yeah.  At least they put some fake windows on it, but I honestly am suspicious that this was done to discourage redevelopment of Cincinnati's side of Edwards Rd.  If Norwood had instead insisted on a traditional urban layout that engages the sidewalk, Edwards could have been made into something pretty nice.  And yes those entrances off of Edwards are all pretty weird.  It's like they refused to do a single monster entrance and instead did a handful of tricky entrances. 

I may not be traveling in the right areas but when I hear Cranley harp on the poor conditions of the roads in Cincinnati I largely disagree.  Being in Indianapolis quite a bit the roads are in much worse shape there.  Just take a trip up north and you will see the roads are even worse as winters are much harsher.  I wonder if people driving on Edwards Road to the interstate complain a lot and think it is Cincinnati when in all actuality it is Norwood? 

That right hand lane traveling towards 71 North is in bad shape, I do admit.  I wonder when they are going to fix that?

^I've specifically told two people that that exit and that stretch of Edwards are Norwood after they used them as examples of Cincinnaties' so called "terrible road conditions." Which is hardly true. There are potholes, sure, but there always will be after a really cold winter. And they're not that common. I went up to Cleveland a couple weeks ago and the roads there were absolutely awful all over. I think people just love to complain about the roads. It's like complaining about the weather.

Northbound Edwards is Cincinnati, southbound is Norwood, the border goes right down the middle.  The Cincinnati side is pretty bad, but Norwood in general has many worse streets. 

I was told by someone in Norwood government that Cincinnati's snow plow drivers have only the vaguest idea where the city borders are (and generally don't care if they do) and as such Norwood can depend on getting many of its streets, including side streets, salted and plowed by Cincinnati trucks.

But the bigger issue is that this area was never master-planned.  Rookwood I & II, Rookwood Exchange, and the Lincoln Financial building across I-71 could have all been master planned and made into a real "downtown" centered around at least one new purpose-built overpass over I-71.  It could have had much better vehicular traffic patterns and real pedestrian activity centered around a square not unlike, say, Oakley Square.   

Marriott is going to build a Residence Inn (focused on extended stay suites) in the surface lot directly to the east of the Courtyard Marriott: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/04/15/exclusive-residence-inn-hotel-coming-to-rookwood.html?ana=twt

A two-level, 140-space parking garage will be built under the new hotel, which will be built directly east of the existing Courtyard hotel in a space currently used as a surface parking lot. The underground parking garage will be mainly for Residence Inn guests, while Courtyard guests will use valet parking. The Residence Inn at Rookwood Exchange will have a swimming pool, fitness center and 118 rooms.

They also announced a new office tenant today: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/04/15/exclusive-rookwood-exchange-adds-another-office.html

Rookwood Exchange, the more than $100 million mixed-use development in Norwood, has landed another large office user.

Park National Bank, a Newark-based community bank with eight locations in Greater Cincinnati, will open its ninth office in the Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc. development. This location will be the bank’s commercial lending and wealth management headquarters in Greater Cincinnati.

The new hotel has been under construction for about a month now.  So far, it's just been excavation work, as I think there is going to be a level or two of underground parking at the site, but renderings posted on the construction fence show a fairly plain looking (similar looking to the office building in RE) ~7 story hotel.  When completed, this building will really make the whole Rookwood area feel like a pretty substantial mid rise district.  With the office buildings on the west side of 71, the Rookwood Commons office building, Rookwood Exchange building, Mariott Courtyard, and the new hotel, you have a pretty substantial collection of fairly large buildings clustered together. Should be interesting to see how this hotel alters the feel of the area.

Also - World of Beer does no list Rookwood on their website as "Coming Soon". The Business Courier reported in spring 2015 they were headed to Rookwood to open their first Cincinnati area store but that does not seem to be the case any longer.

Also - World of Beer does no list Rookwood on their website as "Coming Soon". The Business Courier reported in spring 2015 they were headed to Rookwood to open their first Cincinnati area store but that does not seem to be the case any longer.

I'm still holding out for the Beer Hall of Fame under the Domino's Pizza Theatre

Good, you need to you sober up hoerstw.

Oakley objects to Edwards Road parking lot plan

OAKLEY – A local developer’s plan to tear down several homes on Edwards Road has met with council and residential opposition.

According to the Oakley Community Council, the developer, Jeffrey R. Anderson, wants to install a parking lot at the corner of Edwards Road and Atlantic Avenue across from the Rookwood Exchange.

Board President Sean Fausto said the developer also has suggested adding a crosswalk at the location on Edwards Road and Atlantic Avenue. That alone is a reason to deny a variance, Fausto said.

“It’s very unsafe to put a crosswalk there,” he said.

Council will likely discuss the zoning hearing examiner’s decision at an upcoming meeting.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/community-news/2016/04/07/oakley-objects-parking-lot-proposal/82738336/

Rookwood Exchange lands one of Cincinnati’s largest accounting firms

One of the largest accounting firms in Greater Cincinnati is moving its local offices to Rookwood Exchange. [...]

Currently, Grant Thornton’s office is located across the highway in Cornerstone at Norwood, located at 4000 Smith Road. Rookwood Exchange, located at 3825 Edwards Road, is a 250,000-square-foot mixed-use building developed by Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc.

The suburban office shuffle.

Rookwood Exchange has a unique solution for hotel parking

As a result, Anderson decided to build a taller one-level parking garage under the hotel complete with car lifts for every space.

Since the hotels at Rookwood Exchange don’t typically require a lot of parking on an everyday basis, using the lifts makes more sense.

“When it’s really busy, we’ll lift cars up and have space underneath,” Anderson told me.

Expect these "big city" type of solutions (double-decker parking spaces, ramp meters on highways) to be used as we continue to cram more auto-oriented development in Cincinnati's urban neighborhoods.

The Courtyard at Rookwood is calling itself the "Courtyard Cincinnati Midtown/Rookwood".

So now we know where Cincinnati's Midtown is located.

If the "midtown" moniker were to actually stick, there will be some very confused people trying to find it in relation to downtown and uptown.

I guarantee nobody* will ever call this area "midtown".

*By "nobody" I mean: nobody outside the marketing department of the hotel.

I was trying to research the Rookwood Pavilion/Commons development, trying to figure out when each phase was built. This aerial from 1994 shows Rookwood Pavilion (the one with Joseph Beth and Don Pablos) but industrial buildings still existed where Rookwood Commons would eventually be built. I had no idea that it was that old...it's already been there for at least 23 years. I did find this article from 1998 talking about the R.K. LaBlond Machine Tool Co. that occupied the site until it closed in 1989. It refers to Rookwood Pavilion as a place where "one can sip gourmet coffee, browse through a best-seller, consume a meal, get a haircut or purchase clothes and shoes", however it strangely doesn't mention anything about how several parts of the old LaBlond facility were saved and incorporated into the new development, such as the powerhouse that was turned into a Don Pablos.

This is interesting. Looking at this picture, I can't find the clock tower. Was it harvested from the building in the foreground and was fabricated from the corners into a clock tower?

The "tower" is just the right corner of the main building.  So the BW3 and Supercuts and Boston Market and all that are where the parking lot used to be. 

It's just so frustrating that when big industrial sites like this opened up, literally all we could think of at the time was, "I dunno, put a strip mall there." I know that back in the early 1990s, developers weren't really doing the mixed use, faux urban developments that are so common now. But look at that aerial and imagine what could have been if the existing streets and houses were kept, new streets were added that connected to the grid and featured apartments above retail. Instead, we replaced almost everything that that photo with four separate, poorly designed plazas that don't even connect to eachother, and despite there being a sea of parking, there is never a parking space available.

$12M conversion of school, church to condos planned in Norwood

legacycondosnorwood1*750xx1800-1013-0-206.jpg

A developer is planning a four-phase, $12 million redevelopment project in the heart of Norwood.

Living Heritage Homes plans to convert two former school buildings and two former church buildings into 112 residential condominiums. The overall project, which is being called the Legacy Lofts on Courtland, is expected to be a $10 million to $12 million project.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/14/12m-conversion-of-school-church-to-condos-planned.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers