Guest grasscat

Norwood: Development and News

Anybody want to grab some pictures of the site for us out of towners?

Upscale apartments next for Rookwood Exchange

More restaurants, second hotel to fill out Norwood development

Jul. 24, 2013 6:16 AM 

Written by Cindi Andrews

The final phase of Norwood’s most popular shopping area is coming into focus, with a new Marriott opening at the Rookwood Exchange and plans in the works for apartments and a second hotel there.

Marriott’s Courtyard Cincinnati Midtown welcomed its first guests Tuesday with its 123 rooms already fully booked for this weekend, according to developer Jeff Anderson, chief executive of Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate. Fresh off that success, Anderson Real Estate is also planning 127 upscale apartments and an extended-stay hotel at Rookwood Exchange. Those pieces will finish the puzzle when added to the office building already under construction and a smattering of retail.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130724/BIZ01/307240044/Upscale-apartments-next-Rookwood-Exchange?nclick_check=1

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&Date=20130723&Category=BIZ01&ArtNo=307230128&Ref=PH&Item=12&Maxw=640&Maxh=410

The office building is surprisingly decent looking.

bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&Date=20130723&Category=BIZ01&ArtNo=307230128&Ref=PH&Item=13&Maxw=640&Maxh=410

The apartment building is predictably awful.

This whole development is just terrible and depressing.  This used to be a walkable neighborhood. 

^You're not kidding. I drove by the other day and literally laughed out loud at the amount of parking. It's hideous.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't have minded that office building somewhere Downtown. Decent design, decent massing (although the low wings on either side wouldn't work so well Downtown) and what appears to be a decent ground floor interaction with the 'street.' But alas, it's not Downtown and is instead in one of the ugliest developments in the area.

I feel that Norwood really screws itself with the style of development it chooses to pursue. I'm not a fan of them, but a lifestyle center would have been more appropriate if they were going to pursue some sort of suburban model. Structure the parking and do something somewhat more in fitting with a small town. Instead they got this garbage. Unfortunate.

^I've never thought that Norwood actually cares what goes in to these developments.  Since they're cut off by I-71 from the rest of Norwood, it seems like they're just treated as revenue generators for that city.  Any issues with traffic or visual appeal are "Oakley's problems", unfortunately. 

Just drove down Edwards for the first time in months. The streetscape is utterly, totally destroyed. They couldn't have ruined it more if they tried.

Good job, Anderson.

Just drove down Edwards for the first time in months. The streetscape is utterly, totally destroyed. They couldn't have ruined it more if they tried....

I couldn't agree with you more--what a disaster of a development!  Out of sheer curiosity, a week or so ago I took a walking tour through this third Rookwood installment, and can thus assure anyone who might have been disappointed by either of the other two "Rookwoods" that they ain't experienced visual/visceral pain until they've experienced this place--truly a car-centric icon that best be shrouded in tears.  Just try walking across it and see if you live to tell anyone about your experience.  (Seriously.)  :x :-(

>Just drove down Edwards for the first time in months. The streetscape is utterly, totally destroyed. They couldn't have ruined it more if they tried.

Yeah I photographed it about a month ago.  It's one of the worst developments I've ever seen.  The absolute worst is how that restaurant at the corner backs up to it, with its dumpster virtually facing the very busy intersection of Edwards. 

It is right off of I-71. What did you expect, a beautiful urban pedestrian friendly atmosphere? They are trying to maximize the exposure to people from downtown not desiring to drive all the way to Kenwood. And I believe they will succeed.

^ That's the spirit, it sucks already so that means it's ok to just make things worse rather than working harder to overcome the location's inherent flaws.  This is why we can't have nice things.

^ That's the spirit, it sucks already so that means it's ok to just make things worse rather than working harder to overcome the location's inherent flaws.  This is why we can't have nice things.

This project, specifically, is easy to critique because of the pivotal role the city of Norwood played throughout the process.  They seized property through imminent domain and then closed off streets entirely. The city is supposed to ensure an attractive overall environment is created through planning and zoning.  In this case, Norwood is the reason this site is so awful.

Major redevelopment to bring class A office space to U.S. Playing Card: EXCLUSIVE

Tom Demeropolis Reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

A group of national and local developers purchased the historic U.S. Playing Card property in Norwood this week with plans to turn 470,000 square feet of industrial space into class A office.

Chris Semarjian, managing member of Industrial Commerce Ltd., said the conversion will be a $45 million to $60 million project. Semarjian’s Cleveland-based company and its Cincinnati strategic partners closed on the purchase from Jarden Corp. late Monday. The buyers liked the property’s location along Interstate 71 near the Norwood Lateral.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/01/29/major-redevelopment-to-bring-class-a.html

^ FINALLY!  Mainly because I reside in Norwood (2-blocks from "The Tank" @ Surrey Square), for several years I've routinely meandered past this magnificently-forlorn complex and simply  begged for its phoenix-like reprieve.  Now it may be here...  (We'll see.)

Yeah it will definitely be good for Norwood.  I think it's interesting how alot of the area around 71 and Norwood Lateral is being developed and redeveloped all of a sudden.  I also live in the area and I think it's a good thing.

It'll be great to see that beautiful building put back to use. I'm especially interested to see what they do with landscaping the greenspaces. Looks like they'll be creating courtyards in between the buildings (I imagine the original Hannaford design had open courtyards that were later filled in) and putting trails in the median along Park Ave.  If done well, that median could be a really nice addition for the neighborhood.

This might be overly optimistic but the surface parking on the eastern edge just seems to begging for some new construction in the future (if demand continues to grow). From a transportation perspective, the location is a bit odd. Despite being right at the intersection of I-71 and Norwood Lateral, it doesn't really have easy highway access. And there are no bus stops nearby. Makes me worry about those 1,500 cars rushing home in the afternoon, clogging the residential streets in the neighborhood. Ideally, a lot of the people working there would live in the neighborhood and just walk to work (a lot of Norwood and Oakley are within a 15 minute walk). 

Yeah it has been up for awhile, probably 2-3 months at least.  The building is starting to get really tall.  It's impressive looking from the highway as you are driving by.  I know a lot of people are not happy with this project, but I really think that compared to the prior phases of Rookwood, this phase is way more dense and exciting. 

The entire Rookwood complex reminds me of that third project I did in Architecture studio when I decided to take all of the design rules and do the exact opposite.

Here’s the latest on Rookwood Exchange’s office tower: PHOTOS

Tom Demeropolis Reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

The team at Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc. doesn’t typically develop office buildings.

In the case of the new 250,000-square-foot office tower rising over Interstate 71 at Rookwood Exchange, that’s a good thing.

When you dine, you eat with your eyes first. That’s why the design of the restaurant – the floors, the tables, the dishes – it all matters. J.R. Anderson, vice president of development for Norwood-based Jeffrey R. Anderson, is bringing that same mentality and attention to detail to the office building at Rookwood Exchange.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2014/07/here-s-the-latest-on-rookwood-exchange-s-office.html?page=all

Hard to get excited about a high quality building when the project utterly destroyed the Edwards streetscape for no reason. This continues to show that conventional developers build trophies to themselves, not pieces of the urban fabric.

Meanwhile at the Banks, we get the opposite. For all of Cincinnati's changes this decade, it's still a really unsophisticated development market.

Does anyone know if they are leaving the parking garage that overlooks the highway like the way it is now? It looks awful just a giant concrete block... Any facade going over it?

And yes this whole development is very strange and cumbersome to access with how it is laid out and everything faces inwards towards the parking lot... Could have been a really cool development.

With a gorgeous EIFS courtyard fronting the beautiful I-71. Nothing like highway noise in your courtyard, private balconies, and residence to scream "luxury."

This is worse than U Square. At least U Square, ugly as it may be, fronts a street with retail and restaurants, bars, etc. This is sited in the parking lot and opens in the rear to the highway. Genius site planning.

I guess it does. Much moreso than the small part that faces this development's (overly convoluted, poorly laid out) parking lot.

I feel bad for those buildings. Is it pessimistic of me to say I that I feel that stretch of Edwards is doomed?

No surprise here...  Car crashes into Courtyard Marriott

Norwood police are searching for the driver of a car who crashed into a hotel and fled the scene early Thursday.

"We had a vehicle crash into the Courtyard Marriott. It went through some windows in the back side of the building (and) into the kitchen area," said Norwood police Sgt. Tim Buchanan.

"It's pretty good damage."

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

That didn't take long.

Placing your building directly across from a major exit on the highway is just begging for someone to drunkenly (just assuming here) smash through your building late at night.

Edit: I can't read.

^I'm actually curious if any of the ICFs were damaged. Having just worked on an 18,000 square foot ICF house the process of constructing with them isn't really very open to easy replacement. I wonder if the walls were damaged bad enough to warrant anything more than some insulation (the styrofoam) patches and to call it a day.

They should put one of those "severe tire damage" strips across the street from the exit ramp, so that if this happens again, the car will just get stuck before it hits the building.

Norwood's One Rookwood getting first residents

Bowdeya Tweh, btweh@enquirer.com 3:06 p.m. EST March 2, 2015

Residents moving into new upscale apartments in Norwood are helping fulfill a vision established for a mixed-use development near Interstate 71.

The first residents started moving into apartments Monday at One Rookwood, a 127-unit apartment building at the Rookwood Exchange development. Construction crews are expected to complete work on rooms and other spaces at the building in April.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2015/03/02/one-rookwood-opens/24270419/

Faux balconies with a lovely view of 1-71

B9316404349Z.1_20150302145316_000_GO9A37L0N.1-0.jpg

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton