Norwood: Development and News

Rookwood expansion to begin in spring

Seven years after the planned Rookwood Exchange development in Norwood became mired in land disputes and lawsuits, developer Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate said it will start construction on more than $100 million of retail and entertainment space and offices and residences there in the spring. The project will start to open in 2012.

Read Full Article Here: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20091102/BIZ01/911030319/

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Rookwood expansion to begin in spring

By Laura Baverman • [email protected] • November 2, 2009

Seven years after the planned Rookwood Exchange development in Norwood became mired in land disputes and lawsuits, developer Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate said it will start construction on more than $100 million of retail and entertainment space and offices and residences there in the spring. The project will start to open in 2012.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091102/BIZ01/911030319/-1/frontpage/Rookwood+project+moves+forward

Guest jmecklenborg

What's amazing is that a Rapid Transit Loop stop was planned for this exact spot back in 1920, right where I-71 passes under Smith Rd. 

This needs to be developed for region and for Norwood. The movie theater would be a great addition to this spot. It will be interesting to see the mix of retail, housing, and offices. Condo development is looking to get a lot harder going forward with some changes in the financing rules. The failure of the development fits with a narrative that includes Issue 9, not overbuilding sprawl.

Bigger than I thought it would be, although I don't know if I can trust the scale of a horrendous rendering like that.  Hopefully they get some better concepts out soon.

^ At least the density of the surrounding neighborhood is greater than Atlanta, and can provide a bit more support for such a large office building. 

Anywhere an exit ramp routinely backs up onto the interstate is a huge problem.  Especially this ramp, because there is an on ramp within a mile or two south of it. 

As far as I know, there are no plans to address this at all, though.  The city has had a number of consultants help it decide that the only permanent solution to fixing congestion on and along I-71 is by adding a light rail line adjacent to it.

Yeah, the Dana Avenue interchange directly abuts this. The Edward Avenue SB ramp has a very short merge lane, and it isn't continuous to the Dana Avenue interchange unlike its NB counterpart. A bad planning decision. I know that ODOT has looked into the situation and their recommendations basically include traffic signal system changes and working with the city of Cincinnati into widening Edwards Road (five lanes) because of the congestion caused by Rookwood.

Atlanta

I think Cincinnati could use a few Atlanta style projects. Cincinnati's got some great classic architecture, but I think there is also a place for a bold, fresh development.  A blend of urban in suburban is probably just the right balance in this location.  Another glorified strip mall as Rookwood Commons and Pavilion are would be too suburban, and trying to build a new neighborhood with connecting streets doesn't fit in the context of the space.  Taking an overall suburban design and adding some height and density seems like a smart move to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Atlanta

Spot on, this design and density is very suburban Atlanta.

At least the density of the surrounding neighborhood is greater than Atlanta, and can provide a bit more support for such a large office building. 

Don't be so sure about that, Atlanta and its suburbs have pretty incredible densities.  It's not a lack of a concentration of people or jobs that is Atlanta's problem...it's how they're all connected to one another.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

$100M expansion set for Rookwood

Norwood project to include movie theater, offices

Date: Friday, April 22, 2011, 6:00am EDT - Last Modified: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 3:21pm EDT

Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc. plans to break ground this fall on Rookwood Exchange, a $100 million encore to its Rookwood Commons and Pavilion developments in Norwood.

Construction on a 146-room Courtyard Marriott hotel, a 16-screen movie theater, two upscale restaurants and two parking structures totaling 1,800 spaces is scheduled to start by year’s end. Within three years, plans call for a second hotel, two more restaurants and up to 320,000 square feet of office space.

Anderson officials said the company is within days of lining up its financing for the project.

cont

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

^More than likely. If you think about it, Kenwood is at capacity and without the completion of KTP, commercial developers will look elsewhere to satisfy demand.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

• 5 months later...
Guest jmecklenborg

Best Cincinnati.com comment ever:

HeyJoe

7:20 PM on September 30, 2011

Cougar round up at the Hyde Park Marriott.

• 5 months later...

Anderson scraps plan for cinema at Rookwood Exchange

Business Courier by Jon Newberry

The developer of Norwood’s Rookwood Exchange complex has dropped a plan for a 16-screen cinema to focus on office space.

Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate    Inc. submitted revised plans last month to Norwood that call for an eight-story, 240,000-square-foot office tower and an adjacent five-level parking garage with 750 spaces at the Smith-Edwards exit off Interstate 71. An earlier plan for the $100 million project, reported by the Business Courier last year, called for a theater complex with a garage and office space above. The theater was to be developed with Michigan-based Neighborhood Cinema Group.

Another 16-screen cinema at...

Cont (Premium Content)

WOW. How sad is THAT? I wonder why?

Looks like Smyjunas and his trash in Oakley win another round? How typical Cincinnati.

Then again, the Rookwood area is already choking from traffic and convoluted access. I don't personally see the area blossoming into any kind of intense urban node without transit. I was wondering how they were going to handle traffic for a 16 screen theater.

^ I think it's just because the development in Oakley is farther along.  The theater would open much sooner than a potential one at Rookwood, and would thus build up a client base before Rookwood even had a chance to open.

I still wish Crate & Barrel had located at Rookwood, and that the proposal had residential towers.

From "Rookwood expansion to begin in spring", by Laura Baverman, Cincinnati Enquirer, November 2, 2009:

"Anchoring the 12-acre site will be a Marriott Courtyard hotel, custom movie theater and two high-end national restaurants [...] Anderson projected the first phase to be open for business in 2012."

From Crate & Barrel, others near deal at Rookwood" by Lisa Biank Fasig, Courier Staff Reporter

"Crate & Barrel, Arhaus Furniture and several other retailers are in final negotiations with the proposed Rookwood Exchange, its developer said, and are ready to sign leases as soon as the project gets clearance. [...] Crate & Barrel has said it wants to open in Cincinnati but has stopped short of identifying a location. Most real estate observers figure it will be Rookwood or Kenwood Towne Centre."

"The plan includes two nine-story office towers, two eight-story residential buildings with parking, and a large site for Crate & Barrel and other stores. Smaller retailers would occupy the first one or two floors of the other buildings."

From "$200M plan for Rookwood" by Steve Kemme, October 16, 2008

"The Rookwood Partners are planning a $200 million commercial complex on the 11-acre site at Edwards and Edmondson roads that had been in limbo because of a lengthy eminent-domain battle. The Rookwood Exchange complex would include office and retail space, condos, a hotel and a two-story underground garage, according to preliminary plans recently filed with Norwood. One building could be as high as 16 stories and two others could be 15 stories."

From "$100M expansion set for Rookwood" by Tom Demeropolis and Dan Monk, Courier Staff Reporters

"Construction on a 146-room Courtyard Marriott hotel, a 16-screen movie theater, two upscale restaurants and two parking structures totaling 1,800 spaces is scheduled to start by year’s end. Within three years, plans call for a second hotel, two more restaurants and up to 320,000 square feet of office space."

Hotel, restaurants expected to open at Rookwood Exchange by March 2013

img-main.jpg

While Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc. has dropped plans for a movie theater at its Rookwood Exchange development in Norwood, as Business Courier subscribers read in this week’s edition, other components of the project are moving forward.

Construction on a Courtyard Marriott hotel should begin this month, as soon as a loan with U.S. Bank closes, said J.R. Anderson, vice president of development. The hotel is expected to open by March 2013. And negotiations are under way with Darden Restaurants Inc. for two restaurants, with construction on those to start by summer and openings by March 2013, he said.

------------------

Stoker said he was told Darden wants to build a Capital Grille and Seasons 52 restaurant at Rookwood. Capital Grille is described on Darden’s website as a fine-dining restaurant known for steaks, seafood, an extensive wine list and service “in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance.” Seasons 52 is a “fresh grill and wine bar” featuring a seasonally-inspired menu “in a casually sophisticated adult ambiance,” including a piano bar.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2012/03/hotel-restaurants-opening-at-rookwood.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

If that's what the Capital Grille will look like, I'm more than on board with that.

I guarantee you it's not. This project is far less intensive than the original concepts before the real estate crash. At least, that's my belief based on glimpses of the most recently available site plans.