Guest grasscat

Norwood: Development and News

The Rookwood Exchange eminent domain trial...from today's Enquirer:

Protesters, including homeowner Carl Gamble of Norwood, rally against eminent domain abuse early Monday morning outside the Hamilton County Courthouse. (Gary Landers photo)

Trial pits Norwood against its residents

Opponents rally at courthouse as eminent domain trial begins

By Sharon Coolidge

The Cincinnati Enquirer

If Rookwood Exchange is built in Norwood, it could bring more than 3,000 jobs to the city, a developer testified Monday.

That could mean up to $2.72 million a year in tax money for the city and up to $300,000 per year for the school district, according to Brian Copfer, a developer for the Miller-Valentine Group, which is working with Anderson Real Estate to bring the project to Norwood.

I think it's important for Hamilton Co. to keep this development. It would be nice to see this go in at the old mill site near the new Meijer and Target in Oakley.

kendall, are you familiar with Millworks? It's a plan for the site you're talking about in Oakley. I have no idea how it could sustain itself if the Rookwood Exchange project happens. That's just too much of the same type of retail for one area. Also, I have no faith in either developer. These will be garbage developments, full of parking with a building or 2 haphazardly placed.

http://www.cincinnatimillworks.com

model.jpg

The more I think of Millworks the more I don't see it working. There is no visual presence off the interstate and shopping seems to depend on interstate access and frontage.

Millworks would be hidden. Don't get me wrong, I love the design but I am just not sold on the location. In theory it is great as they are replacing old factories with new and vibrant retail but with no interstate advertisement I don't know how well it would succeed.

As for Norwood, I hope the city is victorious so they can move on with development. The homeowners are getting over 2 times their value for their home - "cha ching"

I agree that millworks is not easy to see from the highway, but most major retail and entertainment centers rely on word of mouth and general knowledge of their location and existence more than drive-by traffic.

tear the whole city of Norwood down and everyones problems are solved. ......dont we all wish it was only that easy.

I went to Norwood Middle school back in the day, it WAS a pretty good school.

Norwood Middle School...that was between October 8-24' date=' 1995, right? ;)[/quote']

lol

you may not believe me, but I actually made it through the entire year there!!!! I also attended Norwood schools in the 2nd and some of my 3rd grade year. All together, we lived in 4 different places in Norwood.

I should break out the 8th grade ID and scan it. That would be one embarrasing post!

This was in today's Enquirer:

Developer cites blight study errors

Norwood miscounted 'negative factors'

By Steve Kemme

The Cincinnati Enquirer

Norwood declared a neighborhood blighted on the basis of a study rife with errors, a developer testified Wednesday.

The urban renewal study is a key document in a trial pitting five property owners against Norwood, which wants to use the blight designation to seize the property by eminent domain and transfer it to developers who would tear down the buildings and construct the Rookwood Exchange.

If anyone can get a photo of the model mentioned in the article, please post it.

Crate & Barrel, others near deal at Rookwood

Retail project awaits ruling on right to eminent domain

Lisa Biank Fasig

Courier Staff Reporter

Crate & Barrel, Arhaus Furniture and several other retailers are in final negotiations with the proposed Rookwood Exchange, its developer said, and are ready to sign leases as soon as the project gets clearance.

"It wouldn't be right to lease-out with them (yet), but everything has been approved," said Mark Fallon, director of leasing at Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate, which is behind the mixed-use project.

"the discount shoe retailer DSW plans to expand its Rookwood Commons store into the Zany Brainy site."

yeah, lately i've been thinking that store is a little cramped...

(don't shop there, been there once, making facetious remark about behemoth shoe store, etc)

as far as rookwood exchange goes, it's summing up to be a perfect candidate for my boycott list.

The saga continues...from today's Enquirer:

Rookwood backers, opponents file briefs

Argument is about 'eminent domain'

By Steve Kemme

The Cincinnati Enquirer

Does Norwood have the right to take private property needed for a developer's planned outdoor mall? Proponents and opponents presented arguments in written statements submitted Friday to Hamilton County Common Pleas Court.

If Norwood can't use eminent domain to take property, "Norwood will suffer as a community, and those many residents of the area who want to move on will be left struggling in a neighborhood that time has passed by."

So true! Some people don't get it. Norwood is creating a enviroment that is attractive for new development and while many people bitch that the West Chesters and Deerfield are getting everything new and cool, here is an old town (inner burb - practically city) that is luring the development that outer burbs usually get.

I hope and pray this goes in favor of Norwood else the inner burbs are doomed. Of course I am generalizing because many will do just fine but while all the cool new trendy retail opens north, (in the soccer mom's point of view) the people will follow to only leave the loser population to rot away until they die.

I guess you all are talking about a parcel adjacent or near to that shopping center where Joseph-Beth is at? If so thats interesting as I think the market there would be the affluent Hyde Park area. Norwood proper is further to the west, isn't it, along Montogomery Road.

Seems like Norwood is pretty agressive at redevelopement. It looks like they rebuilt their downtown (the intersection of Montgomery Road & the Norwood Lateral), or maybe that was an abandoned industrial site as I read there used to be a GM plant in Norwood.

So true! Some people don't get it. Norwood is creating a enviroment that is attractive for new development and while many people bitch that the West Chesters and Deerfield are getting everything new and cool' date=' here is an old town (inner burb - practically city) that is luring the development that outer burbs usually get.

I hope and pray this goes in favor of Norwood else the inner burbs are doomed. Of course I am generalizing because many will do just fine but while all the cool new trendy retail opens north, (in the soccer mom's point of view) the people will follow to only leave the loser population to rot away until they die.[/quote']

I see your points, and I have mixed feelings on the subject. There are pros and cons to the deal for both sides.

Just a random thought (and I'm not saying this is right or wrong)...as for the "loser population" left behind, despite the increased (for a short time, at least) taxes that the city of Norwood will take in, it's doubtful that a sizable number of the residents of Norwood actually can use these developments. Norwood then prostitutes itself as a playground for the more monied.

I guess you all are talking about a parcel adjacent or near to that shopping center where Joseph-Beth is at? If so thats interesting as I think the market there would be the affluent Hyde Park area. Norwood proper is further to the west' date=' isn't it, along Montogomery Road.[/quote']

Yeah, but it's still the city of Norwood. I believe the people within the questioned parcel live in Norwood proper, too.

Seems like Norwood is pretty agressive at redevelopement. It looks like they rebuilt their downtown (the intersection of Montgomery Road & the Norwood Lateral)' date=' or maybe that was an abandoned industrial site as I read there used to be a GM plant in Norwood.[/quote']

Yes, it was. It was pretty much a blank slate after the plant closed down.

This parcel is technically in the Norwood city limits and I might add - barely. There is a little triangle on the east side of I-71 that is still Norwood and yes they are capitalized off the affluent Hyde Park area.

but while all the cool new trendy retail opens north, (in the soccer mom's point of view) the people will follow to only leave the loser population to rot away until they die.

I respectfully submit that it is the loser population who follows the retail around to the fad township of the year.

Guest Cincinnatus

For what it is worth, I happened to see a small demostration in front of the Hamilton County Courthouse today. The signs said they were protesting misuse of the eminent domain laws.

I'm glad the planned apartment buildings will be built out to the street instead of having parking between the buildings and the street. Hopefully the retail is reasonably accessible on foot, unlike Rookwood Commons and Pavilion.

Rookwood is shaping up nicely to be on my shopping list. Bring the homes down and let's get this thing rolling. That area is becoming the new destination for shopping.

I would rather have these options in Rookwood than West Chester. Bring the homes down! I hope they rule in favor of Norwood!

Judge rules in favor of Norwood in eminent domain case

Lisa Biank Fasig

Courier Staff Reporter

A Hamilton County Court judge today said that the city of Norwood can buy five properties through eminent domain, clearing way for development of the proposed Rookwood Exchange project. But attorneys for the holdout properties pledge to appeal.

...after looking at that aerial I didn't know there was another shopping center behind Rookwood Commons.

Yes, that was actually Rookwood Phase I which consists of a Stein Mart, BW3's, Sofa Express, etc.. Typical "Strip Mall"

At least the upcoming phase is mixed use in the sense that there will also be office and condos on the site. Not real mixed use, but better than all retail I suppose.

A more recent article from the 9/25/04 Enquirer:

Jury judges price of Norwood home

First of five in eminent-domain battle

By Sharon Coolidge

Enquirer staff writer

A Hamilton County jury Friday put a price tag on the first of five properties at the heart of a two-year eminent domain battle in Norwood being watched nationally.

Jurors said Joe Horney's rental home on Atlantic Avenue is worth $233,000, which is $125,000 less than the $358,000 he argued that his property is worth. But the jury's value is $43,000 more than the $190,000 the city offered to pay for it so it could be torn down to make way for a high-end development.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/09/25/loc_valuation25.html

The whole thing is ridonculous. Those homes aren't blighted at all. Make the developer pay market rate if he must have this location. Norwood is certainly guilty of pandering to the developer. Rookwood Commons could have been soooo much better. It is the biggest waste of space anywhere. Have they ever heard of parking garages? They could have fit Rookwood Exchange on the property of Rookwood Commons if it were designed properly. In fact, people could be buying silverware at Crate & Barrel as we speak if he would have done it right - instead nothing but bitter people made so by a huge eminent domain fight. Man o man!