Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Art Expansion / Renovation

Guest oallostavros

The thing about the CMA if you were at the meetings or listened to the video of it is those renderigns are simply massings, that is what Vinoyl said.  He hasnt decided on colours or textures or other details and it is libel to change in due course.  The CIM exspansion is frustrating becuase I cant find a website for the architect, Young?  Also CIM website is skimpy on info.

The museum of art expansion has begun.  They worked up until winter and then shut down due to weather.  Work is to resume in the spring.  Most of the footers are in along with a slab on deck on the east side of the building. 

• 3 weeks later...

^thanks!

University circle is officially kicking ass.

I love hearing statements like the museum being "an emblem of the city and its greatness."

Over the past 20 years, Cleveland has been good at taking 5 steps forward and three steps back.  I think we are moving forward again.

BTW this project is something like $50Million more than the Gateway project

I'm absolutely thrilled that they've given the expansion the green light. With the expansion along with everything else in University Circle, I'm looking forward to what will happen to the area in the next few years. Not to mention the Akron Art Museum's expansion as well - we're talking some serious investment in the arts and I guarantee it will be worth the investment.

The only drawback is being without the museum for 6 months - but I think it will be well worth it. nsc, why do you have the 'thumbs down' icon in the subject line?

I know this has to be up there as one of the highest dollar amount projects in Ohio, however, does anyone have a list of the largest projects in the state as far as dollar amount.  I believe the Maumee river bridge in Toledo is the largest to date.

The wing in the forground of that rendering has already started.  The floor slad and footers are in for that wing.  I like how the present museum still will be the focal point from Euclid Avenue.  You think anyone will use the new silver line to gat there.

"^with its $700Million endowment, and the fact that half of the interest per year is required to spend on art, the museum will just keep getting better, and still be free to all!"

Absolutely - the Cleveland Museum of Art is truly world-class already and this will just make it even better.  :clap:

"^with its $700Million endowment, and the fact that half of the interest per year is required to spend on art, the museum will just keep getting better, and still be free to all!"

Absolutely - the Cleveland Museum of Art is truly world-class already and this will just make it even better. :clap:

except when they laid off a bunch of their restorationists two years ago.......what do you mean paintings need maintenace?

This is wonderful!  With all the talk over the past couple years about how the arts aren't given a high enough priority in municipal spending in Ohio, this is a good way to show the politicians that art lovers are willing to put the money forward.  Hopefully they won't be forgotten when they lobby for public funding in the future!

Well, it has been noted in Litt's columns that the director Katherine Reid (?sp) may not have been the best person with balancing people vs. money.

That said, she did raise the money for the expansion, and she is stepping down now.

Hey Pope, this is a good day, dont piss in the Cheerios.

:-)

The reason Reid is stepping down is she is about 60 years old and knows that if she extends her contract, it will go through the completion of the construction project.  She probably just wants to retire, and if she dosen't do it now, she won't get a chance for the next five years.

The wing in the forground of that rendering has already started.  The floor slad and footers are in for that wing.

thank you for saying that. i had thought this project was already a go and already started. good news all the way around.

i hope the gunds give lots 'o loot to this project instead of just to moma (agnes gund is a longtime bigwig there).

i think this mega project deserves a posting of the renderings, no?

this is all i could find outside of the architect's unlinkable macromedia thingy

3261%20Cleveland_Rendering%20(select).jpg

was not there news or renderings up around here for a new modern art museum too? from cia maybe?

I'm very excited about this expansion.  And really, I like the design of the additions, although I know alot of people don't. 

I wish that the museum wasn't closing for so long.  It sounds like alot of it will actually be out of commission for three years or more.  I've only lately started to get interested in the arts.  Oh well, it gives me an excuse to go to other cities.

And how the hell, after at least two years of reporting on this, has Cleveland.com still not figured out how to spell Rafael Vi?[sic] last name?

The reason Reid is stepping down is she is about 60 years old and knows that if she extends her contract, it will go through the completion of the construction project. She probably just wants to retire, and if she dosen't do it now, she won't get a chance for the next five years.

I think I read that her husband is also in so-so health.  He's a good bit older than she, if I remember correctly.

"has Cleveland.com still not figured out how to spell Rafael Vi?[sic] last name?"

I think it has something to do with the coding and the ñ doesn't translate for some reason.

Anyways, your resident geek went to the Cleveland Landmarks Commission site and found these. Enjoy.

cma1.jpg

cma2.jpg

cma3.jpg

cma4.jpg

cma5.jpg

Guest Cincinnatus

Interesting renderings.  I will want to see the end result.  The last time I was there I had lunch in the windy, rather chilly courtyard cafe and thought that someday they would probably fill that in.  It looked very 1950s or 60s.

The last time I was there I had lunch in the windy, rather chilly courtyard cafe and thought that someday they would probably fill that in.  It looked very 1950s or 60s.

it was modeled after the (now old) moma courtyard and sculpture garden.

Was in town last week and got to see the wonderful Phillips Collection...man, I love our museum!

There was a buzz in the air about the expansion and the place was hopping!

Here's a quick photo...I'll post more later in the City Photos section.

• 5 months later...

From the 8/31/05 PD:

Art museum project will soon set sail

Port authority to issue bonds for expansion

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Steven Litt

Plain Dealer Art Critic

The Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority could play a pivotal role in financing the Cleveland Museum of Art's $258 million expansion and renovation.

On Tuesday, the authority's Committee for Regional Economic Advancement recommended that the full board approve the issuance of $90 million in tax-exempt bonds to give the museum cash for construction.

More at http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1125480988285432.xml&coll=2

Hopefully this will take our museum from the no. 3 postion behind the San Fransisco Fine art museum and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. in terms of number of Visitosr.  Although it appears that the CMA is the "richest" museum and has the largest endowment. 

If i remember correctly, I read/saw (i think it was the discovery channel) that there were about 660k visitor to the museum CMA, with LA having 705k and San Fran having near a million.

This with little or no marketing nationally/Internationally like LA and San Fran do.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat related and from a few days ago, if needed to be moved to another section please do so:

Candidates for top job at art museum come forward

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Steven Litt

Plain Dealer Art Critic

Trustees of the Cleveland Museum of Art have been mum on the search for a new director. But that hasn't stopped one current and one former candidate from talking.

Charles Venable, the museum's deputy director for collections and programs, acknowledged publicly last week that he's one of a small number of candidates under consideration.

Meanwhile, Michael Shapiro, director of the High Museum in Atlanta, said he withdrew, as he put it, "before an offer was finalized."...

They have started clearing some trees and set up construction mobile home headquarters.  One of my favorite things about this expansion is that it will remove the surface lot that mars the corner of Wade Oval and East Blvd.  University Circle needs more green space at key intersections.  This project will help provide that.

Hopefully this will take our museum from the no. 3 postion behind the San Fransisco Fine art museum and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. in terms of number of Visitosr.  Although it appears that the CMA is the "richest" museum and has the largest endowment. 

If i remember correctly, I read/saw (i think it was the discovery channel) that there were about 660k visitor to the museum CMA, with LA having 705k and San Fran having near a million.

This with little or no marketing nationally/Internationally like LA and San Fran do.

mts or anybody could you explain these rankings? i know the guggenheim gets 2.5-3.5 million visitors per year. i just read that somewhere. i can only imagine the met and moma, which are much more popular. maybe they meant outside of nyc or otherwise it seems like the elephants in the room were left out to me.

mts or anybody could you explain these rankings? i know the guggenheim gets 2.5-3.5 million visitors per year. i just read that somewhere. i can only imagine the met and moma, which are much more popular. maybe they meant outside of nyc or otherwise it seems like the elephants in the room were left out to me.

don't know how the rankings were calculated.  It  was just one of those "info bubbles"  I do remember seeing Philly, Boston, Chi art institute on the list also, but under Cleveland.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thank God the museum has all of the major religions on its side!   :-D  From the 10/2/05 PD:

Art museum gets official blessing

Clergy from several faiths praise expansion-renovation plan

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Steven Litt

Plain Dealer Art Critic

A Buddhist monk from Tibet chanted a prayer for the removal of obstacles; a rabbi from Beachwood prayed for a world filled with beauty; and a Baptist minister from Cleveland invoked the power of diversity.

All gave blessings Saturday at the ceremonial groundbreaking for the $258 million expansion and renovation of the Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the biggest cultural projects in the city's history. resolved, including the interior design of exhibit galleries and the final design of the vast skylighted "piazza," which will be the centerpiece of the project.

More at http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1128159558325940.xml&coll=2

• 3 weeks later...

Cleveland Museum of Art is Going Retail

On Nov. 1, Ohio’s biggest art museum, the Cleveland Museum of Art, will open a retail outlet and classroom facility at Cleveland’s Shaker Square. The move is designed to give the museum a highly visible temporary presence two months before it shuts down its University Circle complex for six months as part of a $258 million expansion and renovation.

Cleveland Museum of Art is Going Retail

On Nov. 1, Ohio’s biggest art museum, the Cleveland Museum of Art, will open a retail outlet and classroom facility at Cleveland’s Shaker Square. The move is designed to give the museum a highly visible temporary presence two months before it shuts down its University Circle complex for six months as part of a $258 million expansion and renovation.

I forgot to post this over the weekend.  Great for the square as UC is close by.  Would love to see the same type of retail for Lower Euclid Avenue.

That's a great idea (re: lower Euclid). The museum actually set up a space during Ingenuity last month at 515 Euclid to display models of its expansion plan, etc. They shoulda kept it there!

I'll send them an email.  Maybe if others follow suit, it could become a reality.