Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cincykidbc1

Pops to Dukes: no thanks...Political Correctness strikes again.

This is unbelievably ridiculous.

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again.

Political Correctness is going to destroy this country.

Once again Cincinnati will be the laughing stock of the world.

Did they even watch the show?

Pops to 'Dukes': No thanks

BY LISA CORNWELL | THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Former Georgia Congressman Ben Jones, a cast member of the TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard," is raising a ruckus over the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra's decision to cancel plans for a musical program featuring the series stars, John Schneider and Tom Wopat.

For more information, click the below link.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/ENT/303200030/-1/CINCI

Actually, Cincinnati is getting positive press because of this decision. I don't understand your thought process here?

The Pops do not want to have an affiliation with a show/movie that clearly has racist undertones. Is this a problem? Is this Political Correctness, maybe so, but Cincy is definitely not catching negative heat from it. Do a Google News search.

I think that it looks bad that the Pops would ever consider doing such a show. Sounds like you're just trying to shoehorn your political views into this situation.

I'm curious as to how a Cincinnati Pops show could somehow be connected to Dukes of Hazzard?  What kind of music would be involved?    Or is that the two co-stars are also singers or musicians of some sort?

^this is funny. in the 6 years (!) since this thread was posted Tom Wopat--of all people--has gone on the become a highly regarded Broadway and cabaret performer in New York. Who knew he was such a good singer?...and just as we had hoped that the scourge of political correctness showed signs of abating, along comes a ridiculous story like this. Enough already!

Barbecue Vendors Ejected From Saratoga Over an Ethnic Slur on Their Food Truck

By THOMAS KAPLAN

Published: July 22, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/nyregion/saratoga-bars-barbecue-vendors-for-ethnic-slur-on-food-truck.html?_r=0

Andrea Loguidice and Brandon Snooks thought they had won the sandwich lottery when they were awarded a spot to sell barbecue at the Saratoga Race Course this summer. To prepare for the crowds, they developed a special menu, bought a six-foot smoker and cleared their calendar.

But on Friday, opening day at Saratoga, their dream went up in smoke. Complaints came in, not about the cooking, but about the name on the side of the food truck: Wandering Dago, which Ms. Loguidice and Mr. Snooks had thought was cheeky and clever, but which racetrack officials deemed simply offensive. The truck was banned from the grounds.

I fail to see how that's a problem. "Dago" is a derogatory term. Anyone who grew up around ANY Italians would know this fact. The fact that these people put it on the side of a BBQ food truck makes no sense.

1. It's offensive

2. It has nothing to do with BBQ/Food

Jeezus

Commonsense says they could have asked the vendor to remove the name from the trailer.

Professional outrage at nothing is what this country is coming to.  Dago is offensive.  That's hilarious. 

I'm always entertained by the idea that political correctness is some kind of new phenomenon.  It's simply the new term for social taboos....... which have been around for milenia.  In fact, one could argue that the very purpose of the Bible (or any other holy book) is simply a codification of social taboos set in a narrative story about supernatural beings who are keeping count of your taboos.  It's silly.  Society will always have its opinion on what is and what is not rude and offensive behavoir.

I think PC was more of a buzzword applied to making progress by moderating our speech.

It's mutated now because the majority are applying it to themselves.  Guess they want equality as well.

I love the banter I maintain with some Irish friends.  Hell we do it with Polish friends as well.  I dunno, I don't get the constant outrage.  Suck it up Nancy.

I think PC was more of a buzzword applied to making progress by moderating our speech.

Speech and actions.  But I don't think 'moderating' is the right word.  More like frowning upon...... which is why I compare it to what religion has been doing throughout the ages.  Political correctness is simply more flexible to adjust to evolving social norms because it is not enshrined in some book written thousands of years ago.

PC is a term used typically when someone wishes to insult someone else without any ramifications.  My freedom to hurt you at will is more important than your freedom to not be hurt through intentional acts. 

^^^That's great for you and your friends, and most every one of us does the same. However, it's something else when you take that stuff to your business. I have a group of friends who appreciate dead baby jokes, but that stuff doesn't leave a very close circle of people. Most of my friends are to some extent gamers, and we all agree that we've made a joke as bad as that kid in Texas saying he'd blow up the school, but those jokes never were never made in a chat-channel full of people we don't know.

I get it.  What I don't get is firing the guy.  Just like I don't agree with firing Paula Deen for what she admitted doing years ago in a statement for the court.

I could give a flying flip about PD and had no idea who she was before I read about it, just seems excessive.

?

No one got fired. They told them to remove the truck from the property. They probably could have removed the name from the truck and came back, but the truck/business owners clearly balked at that idea in the article.

And as for Paula Dean, if you think that whole debacle had to do with the use of just the "N" work, you need to read up a bit. The woman was abusive to her many employees, and allowed her family to be equally abusive in the work place. There are laws protecting against that. Her activities were a public relations nightmare for her sponsors and the FoodNetwork, thus, she got shitcanned.

Every action has consequences. If you choose to use vulgar, abusive, or insensitive language or actions in the public domain, you have to accept the public consequences of those actions. Personal responsibility here, people.

I'm always entertained by the idea that political correctness is some kind of new phenomenon.  It's simply the new term for social taboos....... which have been around for milenia.  In fact, one could argue that the very purpose of the Bible (or any other holy book) is simply a codification of social taboos set in a narrative story about supernatural beings who are keeping count of your taboos.  It's silly.  Society will always have its opinion on what is and what is not rude and offensive behavoir.

oh yeah, I forgot about all those silly taboos in the Bible like murder and stealing; they're roughly equivalent to ironically using some outmoded ethnic slur on a food truck! I guess I might have a different take on this story if the owners/operators were not Italian-American, but they are, and clearly, unlike too many people today of all ethnic and cultural persuasions, have a (drum roll...) sense of humor! I'm thinking they should sue the racetrack for damages. I assume the officials at Saratoga knew the name of their business--didn't have a problem with it--and approved their permit, no? I would think they have a good case.

I was thinking more along the lines of homosexuality being an abomination.... the prohibitions against getting tattoos and wearing outfits which mix wool and cotton..... labeling all non-believers as liars and the antichrist....

The thing is that we already have murder and stealing covered by LAWS.  I'd think of taboos more as acts which are certainly legal (like driving around in a truck with a racial slur on the side) but generally thought of as distasteful.  You have every right to engage in such behavior, but others have every right to frown upon it and forbid it on their property or at their event. 

^actually, it's wearing wool and linen together (Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together), and shame on you if you do this!

Now the vendors have felt the need to conduct a Facebook poll on whether to change the name of their enterprise. more insanity

Poll: Is food truck name tasteless?

Wandering Dago owners seek comment on name some see as ethnic slur

By Steve Barnes

Updated 8:15 am, Thursday, July 25, 2013

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Poll-Is-food-truck-name-tasteless-4685099.php

There's something of a "if a tree falls in the forrest....." dynamic going on with ethnic/racial slurs nowadays.  Is it a slur if nobody is really offended?  Do white people really get offended by the use of the term 'cr#cker'?  (I wrote it like that because a forumer was just on here the other week, apparently deeply offended, that the news stations were freely using that term).  Or is it more like when my 1 year old daughter is playing with a toy my 7 year old son hasn't looked twice at in 5 years and he all of a sudden finds a long lost desire to play with it himself?

I think there are indeed some Italians who get offended by the slur on the truck, but most would probably find it humorous. 

I'm not remotely offended by the saltine word, but I'm tired of hearing hillbilly in a context where the speaker is equating that term with sub-human.  I even wrote to Tony Rizzo one day when Goldhammer was going off about Jimmy Haslam.  Now everyone at WKNR gets weird when they say it.  It's not that the word itself is bad, it's only when you're using it to categorize a group of people as beneath you.  Nothing wrong with saying neutral or positive things about hillbillies.  Just like anyone else. 

Why?  The term hillbilly is not a term to describe any particular race or ethnicity as a whole.  Should we only use 'thug' or 'hoodlum' in a neutral or positive way?

Everybody knows you can only use the D-word if you are Italian :)

You should hear my family reunion..

Why?  The term hillbilly is not a term to describe any particular race or ethnicity as a whole. 

It's a discernable group of people sharing a common origin.  It's a heritage that goes back centuries.

Should we only use 'thug' or 'hoodlum' in a neutral or positive way?

Please tell me you're not suggesting an equivalency between that and two words that are synonyms for criminal and have nothing to do with background.

^I've never thought of hillbilly that way.  Certainly not anything to do with common origin, save for the perception that 'kissing cousins' are not a foreign concept to people who live off the grid. 

And I am suggesting an equivalency in the way the terms are commonly used.  If only people did simply use those two words to describe actual criminals and not simply assign them to people with a paticular background and/or stereotypical appearance.....

I grew up with a lot WV transplants that moved up here to work at the GM Lordstown plant, I agree "Hillbilly" is used as a slur but it is also a matter of culture and pride. Words like Redneck, hick or bumpkin is probably more analogous to Thug and Hoodlum.

I'm not Italian, but I would offended by "Dago" or "Dago Wop".  In the same manner in which I'm offended by people on this very board who think Black, Latino or people of color are "thugs", "ghetto", "hoodlum" , "spic", "wetback", "ship wrecked Mexican".  Not to mention "Fag" or the "N" word.

According to friends and hearing things over history "Dago" was used to describe immigrants, mainly Italians, as those who were paid "as the day goes".

"WOP" is still in use today, as its short for a person "without papers" meaning he/she is in the country illegal.

I don't like ethnic slurs unless you have a very, very tight relationship with the person you're offending and it's in private, comedians excluded.  I wouldn't call someone a "honkey", "cracker" or "cracker ass cracker".  Beacause I know I would be enrage and verbally rip the person who used the word a new ass.

To bring this in relation CDM has the moniker of "HNIC", personally I don't like that.  Its a way to turn the positive connotation of the word into power.

I grew up with a lot WV transplants that moved up here to work at the GM Lordstown plant, I agree "Hillbilly" is used as a slur but it is also a matter of culture and pride. Words like Redneck, hick or bumpkin is probably more analogous to Thug and Hoodlum.

I would disagree as "thug" and "hoodlum" are code for black man.

I'm not Italian, but I would offended by "Dago" or "Dago Wop".  In the same manner in which I'm offended by people on this very board who think Black, Latino or people of color are "thugs", "ghetto", "hoodlum" , "spic", "wetback", "ship wrecked Mexican".  Not to mention "Fag" or the "N" word.

According to friends and hearing things over history "Dago" was used to describe immigrants, mainly Italians, as those who were paid "as the day goes".

"WOP" is still in use today, as its short for a person "without papers" meaning he/she is in the country illegal.

I don't like ethnic slurs unless you have a very, very tight relationship with the person you're offending and it's in private, comedians excluded.  I wouldn't call someone a "honkey", "cracker" or "cracker ass cracker".  Beacause I know I would be enrage and verbally rip the person who used the word a new ass.

To bring this in relation CDM has the moniker of "HNIC", personally I don't like that.  Its a way to turn the positive connotation of the word into power.

forgive me if I'm wrong, but you've used the term "hillbilly" numerous times over the years and I don't think you meant it as a compliment or term of endearment! (and no, I can't cite specific examples, but we've all seen them!)

To most people, I would think "hillbilly" is a word used simply to describe an unsophisticated backwoodsy type.  Your race, ethnicity, etc. does not preclude the term's application.  Nor is it code for white men (or a majority thereof) in general.  Yet another false equivalency....... which seems to go hand-in-hand with your false outrage on issues like this.

And, let's not forget who gifted us this gem ;)

forgive me if I'm wrong, but you've used the term "hillbilly" numerous times over the years and I don't think you meant it as a compliment or term of endearment! (and no, I can't cite specific examples, but we've all seen them!)

You're 100% correct and I didn't think of that when posting my response.  However, my "hillbilly" comments weren't to identify a person, but a situation.  Bottom line, I'm wrong.  If I've offended anyone I apologize.

You're 100% correct and I didn't think of that when posting my response.  However, my "hillbilly" comments weren't to identify a person, but a situation.  Bottom line, I'm wrong.  If I've offended anyone I apologize.

I don't think anyone was offended by them, it's just that everyone has gotten too overly sensitive about this sort of stuff, which is why I posted the food truck story in the first place. Not that all ethnic/racial slurs are created equal, but there's nothing worse about political correctness than the double standard that characterizes its most zealous practitioners. I was going to ask what "HNIC" meant, but I looked it up in the urban dictionary :laugh: never mind, I didn't think that was funny!

Some people self-identify as hillbillies, while others don't care to but can't escape it.  For both reasons, it should not be used as a slur.  No word should be used as a slur.  Simple enough.

The thing that bugs me is that hillbillies are often stereotyped as having certain intellectual capacities, educational levels, political beliefs, and/or attitudes toward race.  These stereotypes are insidious and have no place in society.  Substitute [YOUR BACKGROUND] and ask yourself if you'd want such things said about it. 

Some people self-identify as hillbillies, while others don't care to but can't escape it.  For both reasons, it should not be used as a slur.  No word should be used as a slur.  Simple enough.

Is idiot still OK to use?  Moron/moran?  City slicker?  Yankee?  City folk?  Sinner?  Greaser?

Is idiot still OK to use?  Moron/moran?  City slicker?  Yankee?  City folk?  Sinner?  Greaser?

If you are determined to express hate, I'm sure you'll find a way. 

You know better!  You're an Eastsider!