Cleveland: Downtown: The Avenue District

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/03/ymca_to_move_downtown_branch_i.html

YMCA to move downtown branch into Galleria, taking 30 percent of the former mall's retail space

I like it, but this sounds like it's far from a done deal, if the YMCA has secured only $1.5 million of the $9 million needed to renovate the space.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Sounds pretty legit. Especially considering the Y signed a 5 yr lease in 2009 with CSU, so the 2014 date makes sense. And although I have always liked the Galleria as a public space, this move makes a lot of sense for all parties involved. CSU probably can't wait to get their hands on the Prospect building. I wonder looking at the initial rendering  how far west the exterior work will go. Maybe it will improve some of that horrible color scheme DollarBank has going on.

Not for you liver.

Yeah, I don't think my liver appreciated my trip to Mallorca and D'Vine Wine Bar last night either.....  All joking aside, I agree this is definitely a boost to the neighborhood and to the Y.  It's very exciting that the Galleria is finally starting to draw attention again, and from big names like the Wink and the YMCA at that!

I really don't want Cleveland's land use policies to be similar to Houston's.......

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 3 weeks later...

What do you all (especially the residents of the Avenue District) think of this building wrap/weather shield proposed for the parking garage at East 12th and Hamilton Avenue that used to be a Firestone store and now has Kia Motors in it?

Project description.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/11182011/12th_Garage_Wind_Shield_Proposal_Final_1.pdf

Kia_Parking_Center%20.jpg

Um yeah ...

This started going up today. I'll refrain from taking a picture until it's completely done.

If they actually wrap the entire garage in that, it's going to be ... just wow. So much for having parking garages hidden from obscurity and blending into the surrounding environment. Bright orange stripes 8 stories tall. yikes.

I can't believe the city allowed this. I'm terribly afraid of the precedent/trend this might start with the plethora of parking garages in this city.

What do you all (especially the residents of the Avenue District) think of this building wrap/weather shield proposed for the parking garage at East 12th and Hamilton Avenue that used to be a Firestone store and now has Kia Motors in it?

Project description.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2011/11182011/12th_Garage_Wind_Shield_Proposal_Final_1.pdf

Kia_Parking_Center%20.jpg

Um yeah ...

This started going up today. I'll refrain from taking a picture until it's completely done.

If they actually wrap the entire garage in that, it's going to be ... just wow. So much for having parking garages hidden from obscurity and blending into the surrounding environment. Bright orange stripes 8 stories tall. yikes.

I can't believe the city allowed this. I'm terribly afraid of the precedent/trend this might start with the plethora of parking garages in this city.

I parked on East 12th yesterday and saw them working on this.  Looks like sh!t.  Avenue District has nothing going on, what a waste of a development.

I wish they would do more of the streetscaping throughout downtown.  Makes so much difference even now with nothing there.  I can imagine with residents (hopefully soon they will figure out bankruptcy court) and new businesses, it would be so much more used.  I haven't seen the garage yet, but I'll take a walk this weekend.  Just walked by there 2 nights ago going to Perk Park and didn't see anything.  Nervous!! haha

Hey with the weather being nice out, how has perk park been? I passed it several times this winter since its completion and it was always dead, understandably. But with the great weather the past couple weeks I wonder if things have picked up. Was there anybody there when you went?

Once Walnut Wednesdays start up, Perk Park should be a fun spot.

Hey with the weather being nice out, how has perk park been? I passed it several times this winter since its completion and it was always dead, understandably. But with the great weather the past couple weeks I wonder if things have picked up. Was there anybody there when you went?

Awesome!  Was packed yesterday.  Those red arches or whatever you want to call them provided more shade than I thought they would.  I had contemplated heading back up to Cleveland today to get some pictures and stuff, but I have too much to do today.  All I can say is I had a great time yesterday, I got some sun and my legs are killing me.  East 12th was not inviting though.  They recently did the whole street up not too long ago, and it looks like it has been neglected ever since constructing finished.  And all I could think about was Eaton moving....

I took a ride over there with the wife and the small one on Tuesday around 5:30 p.m. There was at least twenty people using the park in one way, shape or form. My only complaint is why they didn't put a drainage system under the grass. The only grassy area that wasn't a soggy mess was the area(s) around the mounds. It's exhausting trying to corral a 2.5 year old in a small area. Especially one who loves to run through grass.

Ironically, the pre-wrap parking garage was pretty good looking. At least as far as garages go.

It's too bad residents of the Avenue will have to look out at that orange cubic eyesore. What a low-rent concept. It's hideous and tacky.

I snapped this today. Picture speaks for itself.

How this "sells" the Avenue District is beyond me. As I said before I hope this isn't a new trend in the city. I'd be mortified if one of the parking garages on Euclid or Prospect got the same treatment with a bright lime green shrink wrap announcing the Pepsi-Cola Parking Center or something just as tacky.

There were at least 100 people in the park today at lunch. There's a ton of seating and tables scattered about, but still not enough to keep up with the lunch time demand on a gorgeous spring day. :) I think part of this has to do with the fact that all of the wonderful green space and seating is gone from the malls for the convention center construction. Perk Park really is a great place to eat your lunch, read a book, or relax for 15 minutes. A much welcome change from the horrible concrete park that was there before.

Luckily from this spot the KIA PARKING CENTER isn't too noticeable until you go up to Superior.

Wasn't Zaremba the one responsible for creating "world class signage"? haha

Yes, but this is on a building owned by EV Bishoff.

Interesting to note how the addition of an orange advertising wrap now elevates this from a parking "garage" to a parking "center". I can't help but wonder if this is a new PR and marketing trend to combat the negative connotations that parking garages have been getting as of late.

I'm not a fan of the art direction of the sign...I think the color choice is putrid.

However, I like that fact that a big company - KIA - is sponsoring signage in CLE.

And if it jazzes up an already crappy building then I'm all for it.  Just not this particular one.

Love the comparison to the old 'stros uniforms, surf!  I haven't seen it in person, but from the photo, I don't think the wrap looks so bad.  I guess the underlying facade really wasn't so horrible as garages go, but I kind of dig the taught skin and bold but clean lettering.  Does the skin glow at all at night from the internal lights?

Just a reminder, the old facade: http://g.co/maps/juwps

Personally, I love it.

It brightens up the city, especially in that area.. and it shows some presence, other than building that may be suspected as empty, based on the way they look.

It's great!

Interesting to note how the addition of an orange advertising wrap now elevates this from a parking "garage" to a parking "center". I can't help but wonder if this is a new PR and marketing trend to combat the negative connotations that parking garages have been getting as of late.

You're joking, right?  It's the heart of the city where you're paying for an ultimate urban vibe.  This is something anyone in a big city would not nor should not blink about nor feel its devaluing their home!

I for one am tired of beige, grey, and brown in this place.  Build a 20 story tower and wrap in the Astros uniform.  Looks a hell of a lot better than Volpe's beige on beige residential tower.

You're joking, right?  It's the heart of the city where you're paying for an ultimate urban vibe.  This is something anyone in a big city would not nor should not blink about nor feel its devaluing their home!

I was being tongue in cheek regarding the difference between a center and garage. I admit it's something different, but I have to stare at this garage all day, the colors are too obnoxious for my taste. I feel they could have picked something just as dramatic/eye catching but with more aesthetic appeal.

• 1 month later...

Love the orangy garage.  Saw it first time, today.  Now, hoping not only Avenues highrise gets occupied pronto but new construction of the whole enchilada continues this years, as well!

• 4 weeks later...

thats a cool idea and tangent for winking lizard - i hope it works out.

maybe they will offer ohio-centric fresh draft craft beer along with the bottles? like jars and growlers to go. that seems to be a trend in craft beer and its a good way for them to advertise themselves - on the jars and the growler bottles!

"Avenue Tower condos could become rentals

Sale of remaining units in prominent stalled project would satisfy lenders

By STAN BULLARD

4:30 am, June 18, 2012

The latest chapter in litigation over the long-stalled Avenue Tower condominium project in downtown Cleveland calls for its sale to a joint venture that would operate the condos as rental properties."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20120618/SUB1/306189987

"Avenue Tower condos could become rentals

Sale of remaining units in prominent stalled project would satisfy lenders

By STAN BULLARD

4:30 am, June 18, 2012

The latest chapter in litigation over the long-stalled Avenue Tower condominium project in downtown Cleveland calls for its sale to a joint venture that would operate the condos as rental properties."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20120618/SUB1/306189987

Good news.  Any idea at what the going rate would be?  It says they will be high-end, but that area is still a deadzone after 5 pm.

Not crazy about the auctioning of the parking lots as part of the deal.  Depending on who buys them, this could lead to another 20 years of surface lots.  This fear is alluded to at the end of the article.  At least when the city took them back from Jacobs they had some leverage to see that they were developed.  Now that they will be sold free and clear of any city development restrictions I have a big concern.  Hopefully, as suggested in the article, the interested parties will work to see that the purchasers will want to work on further development, but we have all seen this scenario (the negative one) played out before.

^Actually, I would believe there were deed restrictions when the land was conveyed to Zaremba.  However, I would imagine the city is waiving (although I don't really know for sure) any such restrictions to further this very complex settlement.  Many of the parties are giving up a lot to get this deal done so I would guess if there were restrictions they would be waived to sell the lots free and clear to obtain the max amount in the auction in order to pay as much of the debt owed as possible.  Again all speculation on my part.  Let's just hope somebody like Mr. Kassouff is not raising his hand at the auction.