Cleveland: Downtown: The Avenue District

nah, I like 'em like that!

anyway, here's a link to Zaremba's Avenue District page...still under construction, but exciting to see it up!

www.theavenuedistrict.net

Those sound like great dreams to me! ;)

Thanks for posting that link.

You know, I think the only potential Achilles heel for this plan is the fact that Zaremba's asking the city for $7.5 million for street improvements. If there's one thing I've learned about development in Cleveland, it's that waiting for action and/or money from the city is usually futile. He should just suck it up and do the street improvements himself.

Also, that Channel 3 clip MGD posted does in fact show some sketches of the Avenue plan. The buildings actually look relatively attractive -- about 5 to 7 stories, made out of what appears to be brick and lots of glass. Thank heavens they don't look like Beacon Place, one of Zaremba's past projects.

wow mayday thanks for the renderings. i think it looks fine so far if not groundbreaking, but thats zaremba -- functional, but able to get the job done. with all their recent urban infill "practice," zaremba is more than able to make it happen. no doubt it will be a rousing success story. clevo is long overdue for this kind of stuff right downtown.

afterward, the area between downtown and csu will really be taking off ---> then midtown between csu and uc! it will be interesting to look back five years or so from now and see what we have.

this is helping to erase the bad taste of the district park letdown.

wow, thanks for pulling those together, MayDay!  I know they must be very preliminary, since they're not even posted on the website yet, but they look great and I like the variety between the avenue frontage and the side frontages...can't wait to see more!

• 2 weeks later...

Is the one page streetscape and old cityblock plan the only things available at the moment?  The picture looks great, but it took forever to download on my mac.  Normally, if it takes that long, there is much more to the file.  Is there more than just that first page?

^That may be the case but this rendering looks sharp, imho! I think the designers who created the website need to create their PDF files at a lower-res setting and it will be easier to load. Then again, the higher setting allows clients to print the PDF with better quality.

avedist.jpg

wow, great image!  I'm so psyched to see this one get off the ground...perhaps later this year?  I know the land sale is slated for this fall...any ideas on when ground will be broken?  How many phases?  This is hot!

The Mega Project is slated to begin in the SPRING of 2006.

Look for it to start on the North St. Clair block, and the Superior Block at the same time (10 story building on St. Clair, TH and smaller multi-stories on Superior).

Street work to narrow E. 12 will begin next year as well, and the City has set aside $1.5 M for 2006 to tear out that ugly median on 12th Street (Don't worry, the trees will return).

>>>Tower at Sauron is FUNNY!

Hi All,

The rendering looks great, hope the finshed project looks half as good. A question about the parcel of land between St. Clair and Rockwell. Right now it has a walking path and trees, doe sanyone know if this will also be developed with apartments/condos or left a park? If I remember correctly when One Cleveland Centre was being build that area was for a second highrise that didn't happen. 

On a side note, has anyone heard of anything happening to that area, now another large parking lot,  on east 4th between Prospect and  Huron? Would be nice to see that develpoed into more apartments/condos.

Take care and bear hugz.

Jim S.

Jim,

The "grassy acre", as the land with the walking path and trees is known, is set out in the plan as a "future development area".  In other words, if what they plan to build sells well, it will likely be developed into something.  That's about all that's been announced for now.

The lot on East 4th St. has been being shopped around for retail.  It was one of the sites pitched by the city at the recent retail expo in Vegas, which Jane Campbell attended.

Thanks X,

I can remember a lot of mom and pop type of store in and around the east 4th st. area. Used to walk that way with mom on a Friday, in the summer, and Saturday, during the school year, when we went to the eastside market. Then back diwn 4th through the old Arcade and get on a street car and go home, yes a street car down Superior to east 43rd, we lived on east 45th. SIGH!

Jim S.

definitely...overlooking Jacobs field and the Gund...at the foot of the Gateway District, East 4th and Euclid Corridor...the views would be relatively unimpeded, since the immediate surroundings are in the 4-6 story range, and the convenience factor would be VERY high.  A high profile address, amidst high profile surroundings...let's build it!  it's one of the only gaps left in that very dense, bustling area.

Of course, I'd be happy if it were a 12 story structure too...you'd hear no complaining outta me!

I agree X, I thought there wouldbe more tenants announced by now, and it doesn't seem like they've started any construction on the Gameworks or Lola yet, does anyone know if those projects are still a go?  I wonder what else would be a good fit for the area.  It seems like an ESPNZone would fit in perfectly with the entertainment type venues they've already attracted.  East 4th seems to me like its becoming a tourist destination (with the ballpark, arena, comedy club, concert hall, and upcoming version of Chuck E. Cheese for adults), albeit one that can be utilized and enjoyed by downtown residents as well.

hmmm...didn't know about the gameworks...I was hoping for more cafe/outdoor seating style stuff and some boutique shops...but I'm just one guy and I don't even live there yet!  It would be nice to have some uses that would enliven the street during the day, cause right now, it's dead...

but that's another thread!

Right now, East 4th is quite bipolar.  There are the flashy Pickwick & Frolic and House of Blues.  Then there is all the boarded up storefronts.  Additionally, we have all this stringed lighting and phoenix statutes.  Its neat and embarrassing at the same time.

Hey, does anyone like those light poles or the phoenix?  I think that street would look a lot nicer without those elements.  The phoenix is over the top and admits a little too much of the near past.  The light poles are just plain ugly.  I would prefer some more traditional 19th century stuff.

I like them.  I like the idea of adding modern, 21st century elements to a 19th and 20th century neighborhood.  I think the best way to honor our city's history is to preserve what we have and to add our own to it, instead of wiping it out and starting over, or at the other extreme, endlessly replicating it.

i dont like the phoenix things (tacky), but i do like the light poles.  it just needs to be kept simple if they're gonna do stuff like that.  also i think they need some trees there. 

i did see signs towards prospect where they say two new tenents will be moving in as well (a cafe and something else).  and im assming Lola's is going where that Wendy's was?

No, Lola will be on East 4th, just south of the HOB restaurant, and north of Flannerys Pub.

I personally think the 'phoenix' sculptres are good in theory but could have been executed much better. I also like the light poles - they add the festive touch that the street will need when the tenant mix fills in.

Some tech company is moving from East 25th into the Sincere Building (per Crains).  I am curious as to which floor they will occupy. I kind of hope that it will be the first floor, but it could be the second.  They are bringing 12 employees. 

• 1 month later...

A press conference will be held tomorrow (9-13) at 11:30 a.m., at the northeast corner of East 12th and St. Clair. I assume this Zaremba's "The Avenue" development, but is it? The location is right. But what is this "special out-of-town guest"? The press release appears below....  KJP

Mayor Campbell to join area developer in announcing $200+ million downtown development project

Development seen as a boost to downtown for-sale residential housing opportunities, retail/commercial growth, and continued downtown revitalization

Cleveland - Sept. 12 - Mayor Jane L. Campbell will join a prominent area developers and a special out-of-town guest in announcing a $200+ million development slated to reinvigorate the heart of downtown Cleveland.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Sorry to be a skeptic, but it sounds like mayoral re-election stuff. I hope I'm wrong.

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^What's the big deal whether it's mayoral campaigning? So many uninformed people (not you, KJP) think that absolutely nothing is getting built in Cleveland - and that includes residents of the city. That perception has plagued Campbell during her entire term, and what better way to dispel it? She'd be foolish NOT to make an appearance and try to get an image boost.

I'll be there, with camera in tow. :-)

My point is that I suspect nothing new will be announced. That's all the media cares about. If it's just going to be some palm-pressing and grinning for cameras to remind viewers and readers that this project began on Campbell's watch, then that's not worth news coverage. But if there's something of substance that's not been reported before, then it will be worth an article or a broadcasted segment. That's what I've been trained (brainwashed) to be wary of since I began working at the paragraph factory 11 years ago.

KJP

I'll try to be down there at 11:30...I've been down here so much lately and would love to see the plans! 

And from this newly returned Clevelander, MayDay's frustration is justified... I've seen so much progress in many many corners of this city, from the Homeownership Zone and significant neighboring low-income developments in Central, to market rate infill townhouse developments in Ohio City and Detroit Shoreway...things are happening here.  I guess it's just less noticeable if you're zipping in on a freeway and zipping back out without taking time to appreciate our city's neighborhoods.  (this isn't a cut on anyone, just a little rant for those eternally pessimistic Clevelanders!)

The special out-of-town visitor will be Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. And, yes, this will be about The Avenue project, as Nathan Zaremba is the major developer referred to in yesterday's press release. Also joining the show will be Ward 13 Councilman Joe Cimperman.

Time and location are unchanged from yesterday's press release. I'll be interested to hear what comes out of all this.

KJP

I'll let MayDay do the honors in posting images (there wasn't anything new), but I'll give my response real quickly to the conference...

There really weren't any surprises today, but the bottom line is that a contract has been signed between the city and Zaremba for the $200m development.  Ground will be broken next year on the north side of St. Clair and E. 12th and the northeast corner of 13th and Superior.  The south side of E. 12th and St. Clair will follow.  I'm assuming that they'll use the lot there as a staging ground for construction over the next couple years.  Marketing begins today and you can go to the Zaremba website to sound off.

Prices will range from $150k to the moon and the average price point will be around $300k-$350k.  The buildings will include green space, structured parking and sidewalk retail.  Streetscape improvements and several actual new streets will be added

Daley's role in this whole thing (as far as I could tell) was to talk about the necessity of such projects for viable downtowns and to give Campbell a pat on the back.  I guess they go way back or something...

He was in town for the Deal Maker's Forum... a real estate industry suaree... and probably just to get out of Chicago for a minute and escape all the haters on Lake Michigan!

When you say something like shoddy construction about a specific project, let's have examples. It's also potentially libelous so keep that in mind.

I know several condo owners at Stonebridge - most have had a pleasant experience, and only a few have had issues with their unit. They were quick to say that the K&D Group have addressed said issues and are now pleased with their new homes.