Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News

3 hours ago, OC_Charlie said:

^ I'm not sure that is the correct address. There is an old warehouse set back from West 41st behind the old Convenience store/Bodnar funeral home on Lorain.

That building is 2067, so probably a simple typo.

• Like 2

The work at Irishtown Bend work could be new bulkheads across from Hart Crane Park, that was supposed to be the first step of the Hillside Stabilization project.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, cadmen said:

But is it underway or just fenced off? I thought we were at least months if not years away from stabilization. I hope I'm wrong and work has begun.

Once the stabilization Is underway, as far as I'm concerned, the park project HAS begun.

Edited by lafont
  • Like 2

Honestly I hope the park includes 25 foot grassy hills, surrounding and enclosing the problem property from the rest of the park. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Honestly I hope the park includes 25 foot grassy hills, surrounding and enclosing the problem property from the rest of the park. 

45B71BEC-10EE-4F6B-92ED-01E52F3C537A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/18/2020 at 2:37 PM, KJP said:

I love seeing new project signs pop up for projects we've been hearing about for a long time. My wife took this photo yesterday (yes, she caught my real estate development bug)....

Irishtown Bend-start of hill stabilization-011720-Tkachenko-s.jpg

I hate to dump cold water on this but I moved to Ohio City in early June, 2019, and can confirm that those signs have been in that exact spot since I moved in... I drive down Franklin on my way home from work every day and am always on the lookout for construction crews.

On the bright side - I did see a few crews in the fall doing  survey work on the hillside - presumably obtaining some sort samples (albeit soil, depth, etc.). They were there for about 3 days and I haven't seen anyone back since. Hopefully they kick this off by spring as all reports have indicated that construction should begin "in the first half of 2020."

Source:

http://executive.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/Rehabilitation-Irishtown-Bend.aspx

Edited by BJBaes
  • Like 2

It would look serious if all the structures that are supposed to be demolished get demolished!  They add nothing positive to the streetscape....

• Like 2

^ I think it was about a year-and-a-half ago Ohio released some funding to demolish most of those buildings at the top of the hill, although I can't find the article right now. They were supposed to come down this passed fall / winter so I'm not sure what the delay is. Hopefully there's no snags in this. Except for that building on the corner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but will this location replace the Lakewood location?

I don't believe so.  I saw an article where the owner of 16 Bit and Pins Mechanical said they are looking at additional suburban locations around Cleveland to complement the urban location in a "hub and spoke" model.  Like Melt except actually having a location in Cleveland I suppose.

• Like 2

That spot will add so much to the overall aesthetic of the W. 25th Strip. I can't even imagine what it will look like looking South down 25th from Jay 3 years from now

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RE Developer In Training said:

Some drilling work being done today at the NE corner of Detroit and 25th.  This is the county site that will be a mid-rise apartment tower, correct? 

Correct. Nice catch! 😍

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

My wife and I were thinking about selling her old unit that we still have at Stonebridge.... but it looks like this might actually be happening so perhaps I'll have to convince her otherwise

excited fuck yeah GIF

Edited by YABO713
  • Like 1

Corrected tweet. It's not Hemingway pursuing this anymore, but a partnership between the new Panzica Development + GRAMMAR (Graham Veysey & Marika Shioiri-Clark).

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Was in the Oswald Building this morning and overheard a couple folks in the elevator talking about going to a meeting in Ohio City “regarding the market” this afternoon. Not sure if that’s a reference to West Side Market or Market Square. I hope the folks at Oswald are getting involved in the current West Side Market chaos. They’re pretty good problem solvers in my experience. Anybody got further information on this?

24 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

Was in the Oswald Building this morning and overheard a couple folks in the elevator talking about going to a meeting in Ohio City “regarding the market” this afternoon. Not sure if that’s a reference to West Side Market or Market Square. I hope the folks at Oswald are getting involved in the current West Side Market chaos. They’re pretty good problem solvers in my experience. Anybody got further information on this?

There’s been meetings of sorts the last couple nights about it in the basement of Market Garden.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/community-continues-west-side-market-conversation-while-fahrenheit-owner-offers-solutions

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

It is interesting  how much information we have been getting lately from forum members over hearing conversations in downtown office building elevators.  Maybe we should have a sign up sheet for scheduled times each member of the forum has to ride an elevator up and down in an assigned building.

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

Knez has really been doing some great infill projects. This corner was a gas station/corner store if I’m not mistaken. 52nd and Franklin.

2322C9B4-9213-4978-8C45-FAA90F02936B.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Reviewing the various threads and their webpage, the "Knez" name is on multiple projects all over the City. They tend to be smaller complexes, multi-unit or single- family, but they're having an impact all over Cleveland. 

Kudos to Knez, they are absolutely taking care of business and getting things done!

Complexes:

The Avenue

Breakwater Bluffs

Gallery 7

The Nikolai

Ravella

West 19

Ashbury

Avenue Townhomes

The Gramercy

Circle North

Single family homes in:

Detroit Shoreway

Fairfax

Metro West

Newburgh Heights

Ohio City

Trailside 

Tremont

West Park

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, LlamaLawyer said:

Keep in mind, Oswald only has naming rights to the building and occupies three and a half floors - could have been one of the law firms or another group in the building. But that's a topic for another thread 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Reviewing the various threads and their webpage, the "Knez" name is on multiple projects all over the City. They tend to be smaller complexes, multi-unit or single- family, but they're having an impact all over Cleveland. 

Kudos to Knez, they are absolutely taking care of business and getting things done!

Complexes:

The Avenue

Breakwater Bluffs

Gallery 7

The Nikolai

Ravella

West 19

Ashbury

Avenue Townhomes

The Gramercy

Circle North

Single family homes in:

Detroit Shoreway

Fairfax

Metro West

Newburgh Heights

Ohio City

Trailside 

Tremont

West Park

You can add The Mews at Rockport. A 9 unit townhouse development in Lakewood. It appears all but one have sold already.

• Like 3

Don’t think this was posted:

Westlake firm moves to 15,000-square-foot spot in Ohio City

January 19, 2020 04:00 AM

by: Stan Bullard, Senior Reporter

sbullard@crain.com, 216-771-5228

Clear Choice Photo Booth, which provides camera kiosks and setups for people to take digital photos of themselves at events, has traded its location in a Westlake office/warehouse building for a 1900-vintage warehouse on a side street in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood.

David Hobrath, who owns Clear Choice Photo but takes the title of national sales manager, said the 8-year-old company needed more space to grow but also sought a more central location to attract talent in the future. When a staffer found the two-building complex with about 15,000 square feet of space on the Loopnet real estate listing site, it just clicked. 

Its new office space is on the second floor of a warehouse at 2067 W. 41st St., nestled in the corner of a residential area but backing up to the Lorain Avenue commercial district. Originally, the brick building served as a fruit-packing house for a surrounding area that preceded many of the surrounding houses and the city's zoning code..

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/westlake-firm-moves-15000-square-foot-spot-ohio-city

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 1

Cool. Now get Hyland Software's HQ into Market Square. OK, a guy can dream. 😉 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Cool. Now get Hyland Software's HQ into Market Square. OK, a guy can dream. 😉 

If Reebok can move from a Boston suburb to a Boston neighborhood, with the primary purpose to attract young talent, why can't a NEO company in the suburbs? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

If Reebok can move from a Boston suburb to a Boston neighborhood, with the primary purpose to attract young talent, why can't a NEO company in the suburbs? 

As we're starting to see, if these corporations want to attract young talent and remain relevant, they have no choice than to be located in more urban areas. Younger people don't want to drive to the suburbs to work. They want to work near where they live and play; even as a Boomer, if I lived in downtown Cleveland, which I would, I wouldn't want to drive to the snowbelt for work. 

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 3

We'll see if Market Square can get a major office tenant like that, but that's for the Market Square thread. 🙂 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

Cross Country Mortgage could be one of those big ones. Hyland and Progressive would be the game changers.

• Like 4

Building permits filed for "Franklin Court Townhomes" at the vacant corner of Franklin and W 32nd. Developer is Frank DeCesare (Case Development LLC). Number of permits suggest that there will be 14 units.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tykaps said:

Building permits filed for "Franklin Court Townhomes" at the vacant corner of Franklin and W 32nd. Developer is Frank DeCesare (Case Development LLC). Number of permits suggest that there will be 14 units.

That block between Franklin and Clinton will be jam packed.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, tykaps said:

Did he finally change this design? Block Club, Design Review, and BZA have (rightfully) denied this multiple times. 

• Poison 1

21 minutes ago, OCBB2009 said:

Did he finally change this design? Block Club, Design Review, and BZA have (rightfully) denied this multiple times. 

What were the objections?  I googled and the conceptuals I found were not the worst thing I have seen proposed for Ohio City.

Edited by Htsguy

46 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

What were the objections?  I googled and the conceptuals I found were not the worst thing I have seen proposed for Ohio City.

The objections were many. But basically there was no way this thing was going to get approval without a Franklin/32nd wraparound and with the proposed drive splitting the units. 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1w9fe21HH_7WU35808smO2ksMXMvfuYRl/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:04 PM, KJP said:

While no graphics were included with this Design Review agenda item, the graphic below is on Case Development's website. Case bought the vacant lot at the NE corner of Franklin and West 32nd in 2014 under the name FRANKLIN COURT TOWNHOMES, L.P.

TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENT IN 2-FAMILY DISTRICT

Project Location: Franklin Blvd. and West 32nd Street
Project Representative: Michael DeCesare, Case Development

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/11162018/index.php

Franklin Court Townhomes.jpg

Is this still the current design?

DeCeasar craps out some of the worst designed projects in the City.

Edited by w28th
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, X said:

Is this still the current design?

No, he put together another pretty awful design that was rejected by landmarks.