Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News

I was talking with @KJP about this, but it's noteworthy that there is now large, earthmoving equipment leveling land and clearing debris on W. 48th St. between Detroit and Franklin. Appears as if they are clearing their space to begin the "peninsula" development of new townhomes right there. Very exciting. 

50 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Do we have any renderings of these? 

I just looked and couldn't find them anywhere. @KJP has been a whiz finding info about this project, so I'd be willing to bet he has them or knows where to look

Looks like they active links for all of their current projects except 1432 West 48th and their Tremont project at 2178 West 6th. Hopefully they will have some images up soon.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I keep forgetting the properties behind those fronting West 48th and 50th are the targets for two separate developers....

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

So a building permit for 2554 W 25th has posted, this is an empty lot just down the street from Porco. It lists a 60k sq ft building from Columbo Builders. The only thing I could find was from a couple of years ago. It looks like it will be the replacement site for Front Steps which is currently located on the proposed Irishtown Bend property. Here is a link to a PDF of the plan. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2017/PermanentSupportiveHousing/17-0087-StJosephsCommons.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjIk47X-JbgAhWN7Z8KHaUEAqkQFjAHegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1dSGOvDUtr09cTADEcuRAQ&cshid=1548900709178

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Progress on the new West Side High School....

20190207_144459(0).jpg

20190207_144931.jpg

20190207_144854.jpg

11 minutes ago, tklg said:

Is there a long term plan to integrate this HS into the surrounding area?  

As a homeowner on an adjacent street, I'm not thrilled about the high school: a) because I think that was prime development space, b) because that WAS Max Hayes and they just built a new Max Hayes 2 miles away, and c) because it does not look like its really integrating well with the overall streetscape Ohio City and DS are trying to strive for along Detroit. But maybe I'll be wrong when I see the finished product. 

Just now, YABO713 said:

As a homeowner on an adjacent street, I'm not thrilled about the high school: a) because I think that was prime development space, b) because that WAS Max Hayes and they just built a new Max Hayes 2 miles away, and c) because it does not look like its really integrating well with the overall streetscape Ohio City and DS are trying to strive for along Detroit. But maybe I'll be wrong when I see the finished product. 

The CLE school district isn't interested in integrating this school into anything.  The school district is making a stand on this key parcel in a booming and gentrifying neighborhood.  Prime land the school dist could have sold for nice $$ but it decides to stay and rebuild as it cries the $ blues. 

Look what it did with nuCLEus.

Edited by Oxford19
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, RMB said:

I had heard there's a law prohibiting schools from building higher than 2 stories

The school of arts was just rebuilt and looks to be 3 stories.

More detail about this project:

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2017/PermanentSupportiveHousing/17-0087-StJosephsCommons.pdf

This will replace Front Steps' current site on West 25th near Franklin and which will be demolished for the new Irishtown Bend Park.

NEAR WEST DESIGN REVIEW

NW2017-001 - St. Joseph's Commons New Construction: Seeking Final Approval Project Address: 2554 West 25th Street
Project Representative: Greg Baron, PIRHL

More photos at:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2019/02152019/index.php#myGallery

St_Joseph_Commons_IMG_01.jpg

St_Joseph_Commons_IMG_05.jpg

St_Joseph_Commons_IMG_06.jpg

Very nice, I like that the parking will be tucked in the center of the block. Huge step up from the current building with the parking/drives taking up all of the frontage. It's also substantially bigger than the current facility. Glad they'll be able to expand their mission and help even more. A nice bit of added density.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KJP said:

I see that CLE Venture Fund (incorporated in Indiana) bought the building in March 2018, shortly before it added extra partners in May 2018. The person who incorporated CLE Venture Fund was Scott Jarred https://jarredbunch.com/staff/scott-jarred/. I don't know who that is or why someone from Carmel, Indiana was and is interested in that building.

14 hours ago, w28th said:

And another dead zone along West 25th is cemented until this thing can be torn down in 40 years...

The immediate area is not necessarily encouraging neighborhood life and seems to be a bit industrial.  There's vacant lots directly next to both sides of the proposed site and across the street there's a factory. 

image.png.67df6ebf6bb1b8a521cce330c11cf145.png

• Like 4

The 2 bridges between this site and the Ohio city retail area are a killer for walkability to an existing entertainment district. Same going east to Tremont with no real direct walkable route. The closer you get to the merger of the railways and highways into downtown, the more islands of land like this you get. I think options like this make sense in this area since it doesn't seem to be too appealing for private investment. It's on a major bus route as well which hopefully will help mobilize these residents.

• Like 1

Harbor Bay went before the planning commission today for a zoning map amendments for change of use, height and area districts. There was a lot of positive feedback, but slight concern about parking since there's less than a 1-to-1 park proposal for apartments. However, McCormack and Whalen were able to speak to the benefits of TOD and the multimodal connectivity at this location. There seems to be a lot of support from this project from the city, neighborhood groups, west side mark tenants, and Ohio City Inc. Even the neighboring business owner spoke on Harbor Bay's behalf. Can't wait for this project to really get off the ground. 

• Like 9

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, imjustinjk said:

Harbor Bay went before the planning commission today for a zoning map amendments for change of use, height and area districts. There was a lot of positive feedback, but slight concern about parking since there's less than a 1-to-1 park proposal for apartments. However, McCormack and Whalen were able to speak to the benefits of TOD and the multimodal connectivity at this location. There seems to be a lot of support from this project from the city, neighborhood groups, west side mark tenants, and Ohio City Inc. Even the neighboring business owner spoke on Harbor Bay's behalf. Can't wait for this project to really get off the ground. 

More....

And

• Like 1

Here’s a couple pictures I took from my backyard of the 48th Street peninsula development. Most of that has been cleared in the last 2-3 week

BEB5D684-4DB7-4C93-8C0C-DB456AAB2766.jpeg

E10B08DC-F540-4AEB-8712-5D553E888575.jpeg

RTA Redline Greenway development prompts clash of positive values: Steven Litt

This should be a time for rejoicing among trail advocates in Northeast Ohio and particularly on Cleveland’s West Side.

Instead, there’s an air of conflict over part of the $6 million, 2.3-mile Red Line Greenway, which Cleveland Metroparks plans to build starting this summer on land leased from the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority along the rapid transit Red Line.

When finished in 2020, the greenway will run from West 65th Street at the Zone Recreation Center to Columbus Road at Franklin Avenue along the Cuyahoga River. 

People really don't want to see this Greenway, huh? I disregarded McNulty's op-ed as self motivated garbage [as a developer]. I'm very pro green space, especially since our "Forest City" really lacks green space in many areas of the urban core, but I think this outrage is misguided. This greenway is a great project, but TOD could be well integrated with the project. The 1.3 acre proposed site seems to really be a small part out of total the 2.3 mile greenway. Plus, the Irishtown Bend's 23 acre park is a stone throw away will provide ample green space. 

• Like 3

The trail will be separated on the west from RTA’s tracks and a maintenance road by a 6-foot-high chain link fence coated in black vinyl to make it fade into the landscape.

Sorry I have to laugh at how terrible that's going to look. 

Anyhow here's hoping we can somehow get enough cooperation for the greeenway AND some housing/retail to coexist here for the win-win. 

56 minutes ago, surfohio said:

The trail will be separated on the west from RTA’s tracks and a maintenance road by a 6-foot-high chain link fence coated in black vinyl to make it fade into the landscape.

Sorry I have to laugh at how terrible that's going to look. 

Anyhow here's hoping we can somehow get enough cooperation for the greeenway AND some housing/retail to coexist here for the win-win. 

Do you think they're using chain link because it's the most affordable option? I know that there has to be a barrier between rail and park, but chain link fences do not age very well. Maybe they'll put some trees or landscaping in front of the fence.

It seems like you would want some development along the 2.5 mile stretch otherwise you're just kind of in a trench with a train? Maybe not large scale developments, but maybe small restaurants/food stands and shops or whatever to bring in activity. They could do something like shipping container formatted businesses or whatever. People are trying to compare it NYC's high line which has spurred development. I'm looking through the plans again, and it doesn't look like there's any plans for commercial development... Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I was totally envisioning this place being more than just a little trail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 1

But it’s going to “fade into the landscape” haha. This things gonna be a graffiti canvas, which could actually  be an improvement. 

Im with you though. This isn’t the National Park or some pristine, unique ecosystem. It should absolutely Provide for commercial development. 

• Like 2

The development they are considering though is pretty much going to line the greenway with garage entrances, not active retail.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, X said:

The development they are considering though is pretty much going to line the greenway with garage entrances, not active retail.

I would be opposed to anything that doesn't have a public use on the ground floor. I also don't think it should be littered with development. I think that housing in this spot with park facing amenities would be great: retail, restrooms, a dog wash station, whatever. Additionally, maybe one or two strategic spots else where small formatted space that you can grab ice cream in the summer or a hot beverage in the winter would be really great. Maybe even accessibility for a few food trucks to set up for special events like you see at other public spaces in the city. 

Just a Reminder that the Cool Red Line Greenway Project is Still a Long Way Off

This article from 2015 states:

“Within a quarter mile radius of the West Side Market, there are 30-plus breweries and restaurants.” Peterson said in his presentation. “What I’m proposing is two restaurants on the Red Line Greenway, a permanent restaurant with a well-established chef, and a pop-up restaurant with rotating chefs, young and upcoming culinary artists who can show off their craft. That way, this project will not only embody the culture of Cleveland but help grow it as well.” 

I don't see any other mention of it the possibility though. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, YABO713 said:

Agreed on all accounts.  It's a lousy location for a school.  Schools require lots of surface parking for buses & dropoff/pickup areas, 98% of the kids that go there will have to cross Detroit (not safe) and it's a prime development opportunity for mixed use (office or apartments over retail)

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:49 PM, w28th said:

And another dead zone along West 25th is cemented until this thing can be torn down in 40 years...

How would this be a dead zone? Is W 25th only supposed to be up market mixed use?Seems to be a great move for the community at large. 

8 hours ago, X said:

Ugh, exactly as feared. Given the grade change, it's hard to imagine a developer proposing anything other than parking down there, unless their arm is twisted.

In a normal city, when a public amenity like this is being planned, there would be accompanying changes to land use regs that would make clear the types of development the city will permit or wants to see alongside it. It's increasingly frustrating seeing proactive planning either totally ignored by the city or outsourced to expensive outside consultants. Every booster bro loves comparing projects like this to the high line (which is dumb to begin with), but no one pays attention to the intense public planning effort that went into the land use regulations surrounding the high line.

Edited by StapHanger
  • Like 3