Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News

Heh, I already posted those renderings ;)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Per mjarboe[/member] : .@CLEcityplanning commission OKs controversial Clinton Ave. industrial --> residential rezoning in #CLE's Ohio City. 5-1 vote. #realestate

^ Good riddance! How could the gays let that eyesore be built in the first place?? So tacky and terrible.

That thought occurred to me too, but for once I decided to be tactful lol

The density in Ohio City is going to be amazing.  Large apartment buildings are being constructed at 32nd Detroit, 30th Clinton, 20th Lorain, 25th Detroit, and 25th-28th Church.  Not to mention the new townhomes on Columbus, Abbey, 37th Clinton, and Case's 15 units on 31st and Franklin.

Did I miss any? 

If I had more time I would add up the total number of units. This is impressive stuff!   

The density in Ohio City is going to be amazing.  Large apartment buildings are being constructed at 32nd Detroit, 30th Clinton, 20th Lorain, 25th Detroit, and 25th-28th Church.  Not to mention the new townhomes on Columbus, Abbey, 37th Clinton, and Case's 15 units on 31st and Franklin.

Did I miss any? 

If I had more time I would add up the total number of units. This is impressive stuff!   

It's all very impressive... To add, I'd sure like to see that proposed apartment building (proposed a year or so ago) built on the land of the current Market Square Plaza, 25th and Lorain, adjacent/tied to, the Rapid Station.  The proposal and artist rending looked like an outstanding TOD.  Any word on that one?

Did I miss any? 

Plus a bunch of new infill housing going into long-term empty lots (such as at John & 44th, along 41st south of Lorain, and along 29th between Franklin & Clinton).

Forgive me folks, I'm a very infrequent poster. What is being built on the site of the former bathhouse?

apartments. i believe it'll have 60-70 units.

Not the best shot (taken from the #55 on the Shoreway), but here's visual proof that the old spa bathouse on Detroit Avenue at West 32nd is in fact gone....

20986796799_91b4c8a059_b.jpgOhio City apartments-Detroit-W32-Sept2015 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Looks like the expansion is limited to the south/southeast side of the building along Carroll Ave....

Cleveland Landmarks Commission

AGENDA - September 10, 2015

Ohio City Historic District: Case 15-053

Dave's Super Market 2700 Carroll Avenue

Addition

Daves_Ohio_City_01.jpg

Daves_Ohio_City_02.jpg

EXISTING (2011):

21252682865_e6cd98001a_b.jpgDaves-OhioCity-2011 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Hard to tell.  I don't know why they go to the trouble to post the images, but always at a resolution to small to read the text.

They post higher resolution images at CPC's website, but they are too large to post here. I've included the links to the larger images below...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/09102015/image/fullsize/Daves_Ohio_City_01.jpg

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/09102015/image/fullsize/Daves_Ohio_City_02.jpg

Thanks ^

Yep, looks like the new addition on the south side will be replacing the perpendicular parking along Carroll Ave, which is good. Whenever I shop there, there's more than enough parking in their lot out front.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/06252015/index.php

CLEVELAND LANDMARKS COMMISSION

AGENDA - June 25, 2015

Ohio City Historic District: Case: 15-038

3703-07 Clinton Avenue

New construction of condominiums

For anybody interested, these condo's are now on Zillow, Realtor, etc. Prices, square footage, and site plans (and a couple crappy exterior renderings):

http://www.zillow.com/b/3703-Clinton-Ave-Cleveland-OH/41.487098,-81.714096_ll/

^just 1 and 2 bedrooms? Typical. If you want to build a neighborhood, some units need more than 2 bedrooms. Lots of households use more than 2 bedrooms---especially families that have more than one child, which is pretty common. (MOST people I know who have offspring have more than one child)..... so such projects--and many like them---preclude a huge segment of the market because they don't have any 3-bedroom units.

What's the market for 3 bedroom units in Ohio City?  Are they selling?  Are affluent families with children moving into this area?  Are they buying condos?

I wouldn't say i'm affluent, but if there were 3-bedroom units, i'd certainly consider it. And i'm sure I'm not the only person out there.

Only one-fourth of households have two or more children living with them...

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0064.pdf

That's not a huge market overall, and likely even a smaller market for urban households.

I wouldn't say i'm affluent, but if there were 3-bedroom units, i'd certainly consider it. And i'm sure I'm not the only person out there.

Either you're not saying it out of false modesty, or you aren't able to afford the units in this building.

Now THAT'S gritty!

About the lack of 3 bedroom units -- one fourth of households with 2+ children sounds like a large potential market to me. But if you really wanted a third bedroom in these condos I'm sure they'd build one for you... for a price. Looks like there is plenty of square footage.

Wandered around future W 25th St Lofts in #CLE's Ohio City yesterday. Apartments holding "groundbreaking" today. #CRE http://t.co/O3SOzr37HY

FROM THE MAGAZINEOCTOBER 2015

How One Couple Turned a “Toxic Corner” of Cleveland into a Development Hotbed

Public art, bike racks, and renovations transformed Cleveland’s Hingetown neighborhood into a destination.

BY LEE CHILCOTE

Four years ago, Graham Veysey and Marika Shioiri-Clark set out to develop and cultivate their ideal neighborhood. “I wanted to go to a place where I could sink roots down and make an impact,” says 33-year-old Veysey, who owns a video-production company. They bought a former firehouse built in 1854, complete with three poles, and turned one of the old fire-truck bays into their living area. The second floor is now a collection of workspaces, including Veysey’s office and Shioiri-Clark’s design studio. The couple christened their once desolate area of Cleveland Hingetown (it’s the connector of three sections of town: the Warehouse District, the Ohio City Market District, and Gordon Square) and began changing the landscape. They added splashes of public art, flower baskets, and bike racks to the cracked concrete corners and renovated the decrepit building across the street, bringing in eight retail spaces and seven apartments—including a full-time Airbnb unit they use to show off the neighborhood. “If you have an idea, people here say, ‘O.K., let’s try it.’ It’s affordable and accessible, so you can do it and people support you,” says Shioiri-Clark, a 31-year-old architectural designer. “It’s really exciting to feel like I can be part of a small movement.”

MORE:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/09/hingetown-neighborhood-cleveland

Visible progress on this project. Snapped this picture on the walk back from the Ohio City Street Festival today (Very nice time!). Demolition of the (faux?) storefront between the two buildings. Happened sometime between Wednesday and now...

20150927_125153.jpg