Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and Construction

First look at the new Snavely. I took screenshots of a PDF so if someone knows a better way to upload these I’m all ears.

07778015-1464-46AE-B96F-D8066158454A.jpeg

D7220A5C-0096-4AD1-8F8E-EBDAF1931ACF.jpeg

15927922-E3B2-4872-BB80-4F2643AB8B12.jpeg

3128E640-8A20-472E-BB63-C512F58C9264.jpeg

4A5CDAD2-CA9F-4EDA-8471-2BFA26F7E3AC.jpeg

Edited by Enginerd
  • Like 5

I don't like how it's set back farther than the existing building next to it. Seems to be somewhat common in a lot of modern developments, unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, w28th said:

Another Vocon snoozer.

To be fair, this building is 100% affordable housing, so the budget for design may not be there.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm glad to see that they're going all the way to the corner of West 28th with this. I had assumed, based on the parcel lines, that they would stop short of it. Maybe someday we'll see something built just south of this. Even a parking deck would be better than a surface lot.

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

@RMB makes a good point. The building is aesthetically adequate imo. Is it what I'd love to see in that spot? No. But it's fine and it will contribute to the continued growth of a mixed income neighborhood, so I'm for it. Beyond that... This is really going to fill in Detroit. When I drive home westbound on the shoreway, and look out over Detroit 25th and into Ohio City, the depth and volume looks more like Brooklyn than a city in Ohio. 

@YABO713 I agree with you on that. As KJP pointed out in another post on another thread that sometimes density itself can be aesthetically pleasing, whether or not the actual individual buildings are. I agree with that sentiment. 

• Like 3

And it will look even more dense when the taller of the two buildings at Church+State starts peeking out over its neighbors. Shortly before I made this map below, I was taking pictures of development sites around Hingetown and realized..."holy crap there's a lot of stuff happening around here." In every direction you look, there's something newly built/renovated, underway or planned. Maybe more so than any other 5-10 block area in Greater Cleveland. Perhaps the area including and between Little Italy and CWRU has a similar amount. But I think that's a larger area. So I thought it would be interesting to map it (and I still missed a few things!)....

Hingetown developments map-2019-Labeled.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KJP said:

I'm glad to see that they're going all the way to the corner of West 28th with this. I had assumed, based on the parcel lines, that they would stop short of it. Maybe someday we'll see something built just south of this. Even a parking deck would be better than a surface lot.

That surface lot is gross. Hate how it wipes out the entire frontage of 28th behind the building.  Between all the various uses, this thing has a crap ton of parking. I'd happily lop off the top floor if it meant the SW corner of the block could remain developable.

• Like 2

Given how densely developed this neighborhood is becoming, that surface parking lot is the antithesis to it. I have no doubts as to whether it will be used. I'm sure it will be, but perhaps not so much by the tenants of Phase 3. And that's the biggest problem I see here. If this neighborhood is going to be Cleveland's Brooklyn, then build a deck here with some retail frontage on 28th and design the deck so it can be built on top of.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3

I think the design looks pretty good. Mostly brick, and it manages to avoid trying to look like 5 buildings which is a plus. I'd love if the parking was below-grade but it being affordable likely precludes that.

• Like 1

I like it. Really adds in the density in the area. I also like that they have interior parking on the first floor. That will make it more tenable in the future to build over at least part of the surface lot, since it wouldn't totally be removing parking from the building. I imagine they would have put underground parking too, like they did across the street, but if the main point of this building is to be affordable, I'm sure that was impossible. We all know how expensive parking is, especially underground.

It will be nice to see some activity around this little building next to Riverview, should be a nice tie-in to the eventual Park next door.

Ohio City Welcome Center

Sudanese designer Malaz Elgemiabby is partnering with LAND studio to convert a former community center at the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority's Riverview Terrace into a welcome center to better serve, and reflect, the diverse population in Ohio City.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/special-report-cuyahoga-river-reborn/cleveland-foundation-projects-celebrate-art-rebirth

pixlr_20190420131521421.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, freethink said:

Some new images of the Market Square project at Landmarks, mostly elevation stuff. Almost 800k sq ft...that's huge! And what looks to be a pool on the roof of the residential.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2019/04252019/index.php

I believe Market Square has its own thread now.

14 minutes ago, freethink said:

Some new images of the Market Square project at Landmarks, mostly elevation stuff. Almost 800k sq ft...that's huge! And what looks to be a pool on the roof of the residential.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2019/04252019/index.php

Those West 48th street townhouses are really interesting.  Not your run of the mill for Cleveland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Htsguy said:

Those West 48th street townhouses are really interesting.  Not your run of the mill for Cleveland.

OK, I'll post 'em......

West_48th_IMG_03.jpg

West_48th_IMG_05.jpg

West_48th_IMG_08.jpg

West_48th_IMG_09.jpg

West_48th_IMG_10.jpg

West_48th_IMG_11.jpg

West_48th_IMG_17.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clevecane said:

Keystate Homes. Really cool folks out of Levin College. 

Locally grown talent? Cool. Let me guess... You're part of the team?

36 minutes ago, KJP said:

Locally grown talent? Cool. Let me guess... You're part of the team?

That would be nice—I’d get myself a new house. 😋

No, just people I met in school there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YO to the CLE said:

I am really digging that site plan and design for the W 48th homes. I hope the block club doesn't interfere too much here.

They literally adjoin my backyard. I’m in full support.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

They literally adjoin my backyard. I’m in full support.

The developer is lucky that this project isn't within the boundaries of the Franklin-Clinton block club.

• Haha 1

I'm not a fan of the site plan at all. It is essentially a cul-de-sac. I'm intrigued by the architecture, but the renderings are a bit ridiculous. What's with the oddly elongated shadow people and the 1920's era skeletal race car? it is not easy to understand how these will actually look once they are constructed because the renderings are a bit fantastical and do not show the neighboring structures. KJP included the better images, but the rest of the images that are on the city planning agenda page are not realistic.  http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2019/04252019/index.php

• Poison 1

19 minutes ago, w28th said:

Knowing the development team, this has little chance of being built as designed.

I guess I am a little confused by this. 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, Htsguy said:

I guess I am a little confused by this. 

To add to W28th comment that caused some confusion, if you take a look at the developers's website, specifically their portfolio and "current projects" page and I think it is understandable as to why some people, myself included, are skeptical of the project being built as designed.

Edited by andrew0816

On 4/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, KJP said:

Given how densely developed this neighborhood is becoming, that surface parking lot is the antithesis to it. I have no doubts as to whether it will be used. I'm sure it will be, but perhaps not so much by the tenants of Phase 3. And that's the biggest problem I see here. If this neighborhood is going to be Cleveland's Brooklyn, then build a deck here with some retail frontage on 28th and design the deck so it can be built on top of.

If its affordable housing, hard to fathom how a parking deck + ground floor retail could pay for itself. 

^I don't know what retail rents are like in Ohio City these days, but in hotter markets. the retail can help pay for affordable units up above, let alone itself. 

4 hours ago, StapHanger said:

^I don't know what retail rents are like in Ohio City these days, but in hotter markets. the retail can help pay for affordable units up above, let alone itself. 

Right now, in this area, I imagine the residential would subsidize the retail, if anything. Transitional area still. 

• Like 3