Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and Construction

10 hours ago, KJP said:

Next blog article is done. All I have to do is get the OK from a source and hit the "publish" button. Hopefully tomorrow.... Correction: it's going to have to wait until March 5. But I suppose I could give you all a little tease in the meantime. This is NOT a rendering of the development. But it is of a similar project/setting (can anyone guess where/what this is?) and it's from the architect who is part of the recommended development team, so this rendering MIGHT give some insight as to their plan.

Atlanta Beltline trail.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm ...

Could you be hinting at the Brickhaus development that has been in the offing for that prominent bluff overlooking the Scranton Peninsula??? If the renderings shown are similar to a proposed development in Cleveland, this would be my best guess.

So, can you share more details and hints, Mr. Pendergrass??? 😉

I can say that my hints were not referring to the former Brickhaus development. That's separate (and exciting in its own right). I've said too much already. My blog post on this will come out a week from today when the details will become a matter of public record.

The best that I can say is that if you want to hear the details, there will be a presentation at the Duck Island Block Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. March 5 at Forest City Brewery, 2135 Columbus Rd.

Please add your rational, pro-progress voices to the discussion.

• Like 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

wow it was nice to see this kind of cool project in the paper and in the perfect site -- sounds like its going to happen:

Ohio City could score tallest timber frame building in U.S. in 2021

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer | Posted February 24, 2019 at 05:05 AM | Updated February 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM

more:

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/02/ea4f5aa50a3112/ohio-city-could-score-tallest-timber-frame-building-in-us-in-2021.html

673_screenshot20190221at115441pm.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, KJP said:

Things getting busy on West 48th.....

Case 18-054: Lorain Avenue Historic District

Urban Community School 4757 Lorain Avenue

New Construction MetroHealth Health Center

Ward 3: McCormack

Project Representatives: Christine Raymond, Kaczmar Architects; Thomas Gill, Urban Community School

Case 18-055: Lorain Avenue Historic District

Urban Community School 2021 West 48th Street

New Construction Early Childhood Center

Project Representatives: Christine Raymond, Kaczmar Architects; Thomas Gill Urban Community School

Existing site, looking south:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_02.jpg

Planned street presence, looking south:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_06.jpg

Site plan:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_05.jpg

Early Education Center:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_07.jpg

MetroHealth Health Center:

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_01.jpg

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_08.jpg

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_09.jpg

Site prep for this development has begun in past couple days.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, KJP said:

I can say that my hints were not referring to the former Brickhaus development. That's separate (and exciting in its own right). I've said too much already. My blog post on this will come out a week from today when the details will become a matter of public record.

The best that I can say is that if you want to hear the details, there will be a presentation at the Duck Island Block Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. March 5 at Forest City Brewery, 2135 Columbus Rd.

Please add your rational, pro-progress voices to the discussion.

Ahhhh ... Could this be in reference to the proposed "Thunderbird" development on Scranton Peninsula? Are you willing to drop any more hints or you'll just keep us all in suspense until your next blog is released on March 5th???

😁🤔🤫🤭😂

26 minutes ago, John D. Baumgardner said:

Ahhhh ... Could this be in reference to the proposed "Thunderbird" development on Scranton Peninsula? Are you willing to drop any more hints or you'll just keep us all in suspense until your next blog is released on March 5th???

No, he's referring to RTA's land along Columbus adjacent to the W.25th station. There is supposed to be discussion about the project at the Duck Island block club meeting next week. 

And for whatever it's worth, this should conversation should probably go in the Duck Island thread.

https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/13407-cleveland-duck-island-development-and-news/page/11/

2 hours ago, John D. Baumgardner said:

😁🤔🤫🤭😂

1 hour ago, Mendo said:

No, he's referring to RTA's land along Columbus adjacent to the W.25th station. There is supposed to be discussion about the project at the Duck Island block club meeting next week. 

And for whatever it's worth, this should conversation should probably go in the Duck Island thread.

https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/13407-cleveland-duck-island-development-and-news/page/11/

No, my blog article that's already written and awaiting publication next week is unrelated to the DiGeronimo property acquisition for which I have no blog article planned at the moment.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, KJP said:

Things getting busy on West 48th.....

Case 18-054: Lorain Avenue Historic District

Urban Community School 4757 Lorain Avenue

New Construction MetroHealth Health Center

Project Representatives: Christine Raymond, Kaczmar Architects; Thomas Gill, Urban Community School

Case 18-055: Lorain Avenue Historic District

Urban Community School 2021 West 48th Street

New Construction Early Childhood Center

Project Representatives: Christine Raymond, Kaczmar Architects; Thomas Gill Urban Community School

Existing site, looking south:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_02.jpg

Planned street presence, looking south:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_06.jpg

Site plan:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_05.jpg

Early Education Center:

UCS_Early_Childhood_IMG_07.jpg

MetroHealth Health Center:

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_01.jpg

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_08.jpg

UCS_Metrohealth_IMG_09.jpg

Site scraped. Getting ready to dig some dirt.....

20190301_132529.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

The latest reminder why we need traffic calming on Franklin and most other urban streets....

• Sad 1

I'm sure this has already been answered, but will the new proposed MetroHealth health center be absorbing the operations of the McCafferty Health Center at W 44th & Lorain? If so, I'd imagine that site would be a very appealing one for developers to build new. 

1 hour ago, ethlaw said:

I'm sure this has already been answered, but will the new proposed MetroHealth health center be absorbing the operations of the McCafferty Health Center at W 44th & Lorain? If so, I'd imagine that site would be a very appealing one for developers to build new. 

The article says MetroHealth will relocate “some clinical services” so it’s kind of unclear. BUT, the City owns McCafferty and runs part of the Department of public Health out of there so I don’t think something would happen anytime soon.

https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/2018/07/metrohealth_to_open_health_cen.html

2 hours ago, StapHanger said:

Did the traffic calming pilot come and go already?  Is Franklin Ave still 35 mph?  

Yep and yep. The recommendations were adding curb extensions and “traffic circles” along Franklin. 

FWIW, I emailed McCormack and Zone about lowering the speed limit (which I believe is legal even though they keep saying it isn’t). He said he would forward it to Council lawyers, but that was months ago.

showdocument.aspx?documentid=23082

11 hours ago, KJP said:

The latest reminder why we need traffic calming on Franklin and most other urban streets....

As someone that lives very close to there, I can also say I have had some scary run-ins on Franklin. 

The issue, imo, is not from the speed limit - I think 35 is appropriate for Franklin. The issue is often with people turning onto Franklin. At times, pulling onto Franklin from my street leaves me with some significant blind spots due to parked cars on the street. There have been 2-3 times when I pulled up to get a look around a car, and before I know it, a car (going at a reasonable speed) was already approaching me from the other way. I'd ideally like to see 1-2 parking spots reduced close to intersections, just to provide for a more expansive view and avoid people peeling out onto Franklin to avoid potential collisions

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

^35 mph seems insane to me for a street like Franklin, especially once you factor in typical speeding. Maybe just the difference in perception between a daily driver and a rare driver (said without malice).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

^35 mph seems insane to me for a street like Franklin, especially once you factor in typical speeding. Maybe just the difference in perception between a daily driver and a rare driver (said without malice).

35 is too high for Franklin. In my mind, almost all city streets should be 25 or less. 

Untitled.png

• Like 9

12 hours ago, KJP said:

Not a lot of detail there, not even clear this happened on Franklin.  And the driver might have been going 20 or less, which is the rule in these areas already.

Commercial streets are supposed to be 25 and main residential streets 35. From a vehicular movement point of view, I understand it. But from a humane perspective, I don't understand this thinking at all.

2 hours ago, Enginerd said:

The article says MetroHealth will relocate “some clinical services” so it’s kind of unclear. BUT, the City owns McCafferty and runs part of the Department of public Health out of there so I don’t think something would happen anytime soon.

https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/2018/07/metrohealth_to_open_health_cen.html

It will be empty after MetroHealth relocates its services up the street to UCS. The city has a tiny presence in McCafferty and sees it as an opportunity to sell the land for development.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KJP said:

It will be empty after MetroHealth relocates its services up the street to UCS. The city has a tiny presence in McCafferty and sees it as an opportunity to sell the land for development.

The VA Clinic inhabits a good portion of McCafferty. Is the VA moving out?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4846712,-81.7214164,3a,75y,265h,79.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si-yTcrmZWnat6O13o95hww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It appears this empty parcel down the block from me will be the site of a new home in the next year. Spoke with my realtor, as I was curious if the parcel has sold - and it has, with plans to be submitted in the near future. Pretty nice for these last remaining blocks in the OC / D-S meshing point. Also, the home next to it has been renovated and rented, which is great as well. 

2 minutes ago, CbusTransit said:

Conveyor and Caster on Detroit Road recently moved its headquarters to Westlake. Not sure what’s going to happen to it’s former building on Detroit.

Interesting. This has to be futre residential or mixed use.  I kinda hope they keep and renovate the original buildings, at least in front. Maintain some of the historic scale. 

3 minutes ago, CbusTransit said:

Conveyor and Caster on Detroit Road recently moved its headquarters to Westlake. Not sure what’s going to happen to it’s former building on Detroit.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. It and the neighboring Kowalski Heat Treating Co. is an outlier on a street that is transitioning to mid-rise residential, restaurants, etc. I only hope Stephen Kowalski & family of Bay Village will also relocate their business soon -- as long as they stay in Cleveland.

FYI, I found this article from 2002 and snipped a relevant part from it......

Many residents like the idea of keeping away businesses such as used car lots and car repair shops, but a possible rezoning could prohibit the area's industrial companies from expanding, Mr. Wilbur said.

They're nervous about that because they feel pretty hemmed in,' he said. 'We're trying to be sensitive to that.'

Bob Hotujac, vice president of Kennick Mold & Die Corp., which has been on Detroit Avenue in Ohio City for 46 years, is among those concerned that rezoning the street to residential from light industrial would decimate industrial properties such as his.

'That would take our property value and deflate it down to zero,' Mr. Hotujac said 'We wouldn't be able to sell.'

Robert Simons, a professor of urban planning and real estate development at the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University, said he believes the best use for Detroit might be found in a mix of retail, entertainment and commercial business development because of its lake views and proximity to downtown as well as the high property values in Ohio City.

But merging old industrial businesses with the new is 'not a great fit,' Dr. Simons said. 'In the long run, the area will probably turn over,' he said. 'Frankly, there's probably better spots' for the industrial businesses. '

Dr. Simons' comments aren't music to the ears of Steve Kowalski, president of Kowalski Heat Treating Co., a metal treating company located on the street since 1975. Mr. Kowalski's family-owned company in the past 18 months has spent $2.5 million to refurbish its existing 18,000-square-foot shop at 3611 Detroit Ave. and to add another 10,000 square feet.

Mr. Kowalski said he has no thoughts of relocating the company because many of his 20 employees live in Cleveland, so the business is just a short drive for them.

'We love this area. This location is ideally suited for our business,' he said. 'We didn't do this (refurbishment of the building) for the short term.'

Besides, Mr. Kowalski isn't sure the street can support a lot of shops, apartments or condominiums. He said the small piece of green space across the street from his business isn't big enough to accommodate an apartment complex unless it was a high-rise building.

'That could have a dramatic adverse affect on property values,' Mr. Kowalski said. 'A lot of residents want to maintain their ability to see the lake.'

But neighborhood concerns aren't stopping projects from materializing and more residents from moving in. 

MORE:

https://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20020930/SUB/209300703/new-day-dawning-on-detroit

• Like 2

It's sad seeing this old church in such bad condition. But it's wonderful news that it's on track to be renovated!

Case 19-009: Ohio City Historic District
First Reformed Church 1944 West 32nd Street
Renovation and Addition for Welsh Academy St. Ignatius High School
Project Representatives: Mykie Hrusovski, DLR Group, Architects

More pics at the link below:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2019/03142019/index.php

Welsh_Academy_IMG_02.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_03.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_04.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_05.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_06.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_07.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_08.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_10.jpg

Welsh_Academy_IMG_11.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, that architect did a great job of restoring that great structure and really making it shine while tastefully adding on to it.  One of the better renos/additions I've seen on a historical structure in a while.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tj111 said:

Wow, that architect did a great job of restoring that great structure and really making it shine while tastefully adding on to it.  One of the better renos/additions I've seen on a historical structure in a while.

Ignatius continues to remind us why it's a top notch institution in all respects.

Moreover, as Welsh Academy grows, it will become a very viable schooling option for people like my wife and myself that would like to stay in Ohio City and raise a family, but likely will move to the suburbs for better schooling options. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Ignatius continues to remind us why it's a top notch institution in all respects.

Moreover, as Welsh Academy grows, it will become a very viable schooling option for people like my wife and myself that would like to stay in Ohio City and raise a family, but likely will move to the suburbs for better schooling options. 

I believe Walsh is targeted specifically for low income CMSD students who would otherwise not have Ignatius as an opportunity, if I read the last newsletter correctly. By the way YABO I've been a long time lurker (4 years), I saw your photo of your camping trip and realized we graduated from high school together. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YABO713 said:

The default question that my wife and I get from many suburban colleagues or acquaintances: where do you send your kids?  The fact is that k-8 options have improved greatly for near west side families over the past 5-8 years. Ask the families around you. Or pm me sometime. 

• Like 2

My wife and I were considering Menlo Academy for our kindergarten son who is in second-grade reading and math textbooks and doesn't want to go to school anymore because he says it's "boring" and "I already know everything."

• Like 3