Jump to content
Map Boy

Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and Construction

Recommended Posts

Building permits filed for "Franklin Court Townhomes" at the vacant corner of Franklin and W 32nd. Developer is Frank DeCesare (Case Development LLC). Number of permits suggest that there will be 14 units.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tykaps said:

Building permits filed for "Franklin Court Townhomes" at the vacant corner of Franklin and W 32nd. Developer is Frank DeCesare (Case Development LLC). Number of permits suggest that there will be 14 units.

That block between Franklin and Clinton will be jam packed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tykaps said:

Building permits filed for "Franklin Court Townhomes" at the vacant corner of Franklin and W 32nd. Developer is Frank DeCesare (Case Development LLC). Number of permits suggest that there will be 14 units.

Did he finally change this design? Block Club, Design Review, and BZA have (rightfully) denied this multiple times. 

  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OCBB2009 said:

Did he finally change this design? Block Club, Design Review, and BZA have (rightfully) denied this multiple times. 

What were the objections?  I googled and the conceptuals I found were not the worst thing I have seen proposed for Ohio City.

Edited by Htsguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

What were the objections?  I googled and the conceptuals I found were not the worst thing I have seen proposed for Ohio City.

The objections were many. But basically there was no way this thing was going to get approval without a Franklin/32nd wraparound and with the proposed drive splitting the units. 


 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1w9fe21HH_7WU35808smO2ksMXMvfuYRl/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 1:04 PM, KJP said:

While no graphics were included with this Design Review agenda item, the graphic below is on Case Development's website. Case bought the vacant lot at the NE corner of Franklin and West 32nd in 2014 under the name FRANKLIN COURT TOWNHOMES, L.P.

 

TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENT IN 2-FAMILY DISTRICT

Project Location: Franklin Blvd. and West 32nd Street
Project Representative: Michael DeCesare, Case Development

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2018/11162018/index.php

 

 

Franklin Court Townhomes.jpg

 

Is this still the current design?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeCeasar craps out some of the worst designed projects in the City.

Edited by w28th
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X said:

 

Is this still the current design?

No, he put together another pretty awful design that was rejected by landmarks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 3231 said:

No, he put together another pretty awful design that was rejected by landmarks. 

So when @tykaps states  that building permits have been "filed" does that simply mean applications were submitted but not approved by the city.  Or does filed mean approved.  If the later, how can you get a building permit if you have not received approval from design review or landmarks?  Or does filing permits mean you are going in front of one of those two boards.  I guess I am a bit confused.  I was under the impression that the issuance of a building permit was a separate step from design review.  In other words design approval and then the city issues a building permit upon application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3231 said:

No, he put together another pretty awful design that was rejected by landmarks. 

 

Are they posted anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Are these supposed to be market rate or affordable?

 

Are you asking me?  I don't know anything about this project but what's on UO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the sequence of design review in this portion of Ohio City if I'm not mistaken:

 

Local Block Block

OCI Design Review (Local Landmarks)

City of Cleveland Landmarks

Planning Commission (if necessary depending on the project)

Board of Zoning Appeals if there's any variances

Submit for Permit Review by Building Department

 

You typically need to have gotten approval by each sequential review committee for things to go smoothly. You can technically not get approval from block club or OCI, but get approved by City Landmarks but it's very rare. Once the project becomes contentious it really slows down the whole process which is usually the motivating factor for developers. This block club, Franklin Clinton, is run by some real obstructionists, one of them is also on the OCI Design Review Board. Certainly can't submit for permit before Zoning and Landmarks approval. Not sure what "filing" permits means.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, w28th said:

Here's the sequence of design review in this portion of Ohio City if I'm not mistaken:

 

Local Block Block

 

 

Local Block, block, eh? Is that a Freudian slip?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Htsguy said:

So when @tykaps states  that building permits have been "filed" does that simply mean applications were submitted but not approved by the city.  Or does filed mean approved.  If the later, how can you get a building permit if you have not received approval from design review or landmarks?  Or does filing permits mean you are going in front of one of those two boards.  I guess I am a bit confused.  I was under the impression that the issuance of a building permit was a separate step from design review.  In other words design approval and then the city issues a building permit upon application.

Their building permit has not been approved yet. It was just submitted.

They still have to go before a number of groups to get it approved.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Htsguy said:

So when @tykaps states  that building permits have been "filed" does that simply mean applications were submitted but not approved by the city.  Or does filed mean approved.  If the later, how can you get a building permit if you have not received approval from design review or landmarks?  Or does filing permits mean you are going in front of one of those two boards.  I guess I am a bit confused.  I was under the impression that the issuance of a building permit was a separate step from design review.  In other words design approval and then the city issues a building permit upon application.

Actually, he was rejected by the City Planning Commission. There was new zoning legislation passed in 2018 that allows for townhomes to be built on parcels that are zoned for 1- or 2-family residential. The CPC must approve the request--effectively allowing a townhome proposal to bypass all of the setback, area and height requirements of the single or two family home zoning. DeCeasare's proposal, for various reasons, was rejected by CPC. He then went to court to appeal and he lost. If he has since put together a new development proposal, then he would not be able to pull a building permit until he has been approved both by landmarks for its design as well as the CPC for townhomes in a 1 or 2 family zoned parcel. If tykaps saw something, my guess is that it would have been the first mandatory step of the building process--filing a site plan for a zoning-only review. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we all tend to get frustrated with the pace of development - here's a nice trip to see how far we've come in just a six years, moving West down Detroit... 

 

Quarter:

Then:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4915987,-81.7072,3a,75y,252.54h,86.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUlNikMlwBJukEq7rgdpjLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4916003,-81.7071612,3a,75y,241.03h,83.37t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdtlcYuZRpicn9S2l5Zl3bg!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

Snavely: 

Then: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4904851,-81.7093055,3a,75y,109.02h,80.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSq2XKhza7bTnpjqX1MXbbQ!2e0!5s20110601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

 

Saucy / Church and State:

Then:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.490051,-81.7106462,3a,75y,170.36h,89.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2dMgkl-Lrr_5DkOmAGYbxQ!2e0!5s20110601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4898237,-81.711034,3a,75y,107.96h,84.57t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0_J8fIUDJCIR_HT72ry6ow!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

With 13 stories already up (and now pictured) of Church and State

 

Hingetown:

Then: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4892562,-81.7106046,3a,75y,163.12h,82.87t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syxKlJbDw4yhaEXqKp-DSqA!2e0!5s20090901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4892363,-81.7106376,3a,75y,150.09h,86.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMx0c2jOJcuB_iIWcKyE1hA!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

Mariners Watch:

Then: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4892481,-81.7123975,3a,75y,104.2h,95.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sb4fcOxB7xmVBKMO-GbmAMA!2e0!5s20090801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.489238,-81.7124189,3a,75y,104.2h,95.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1saSruI1aHlaBnvzCj8FCbqw!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

Edge32

Then: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4890094,-81.7129668,3a,75y,215.12h,101.25t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZqpbnyqC_jaBvKGloAXdPg!2e0!5s20090801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Now:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4889857,-81.712934,3a,75y,200.15h,98.28t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFWsIeb8MUod_x8bz9Nw-QA!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

Cleveland Bagel:

 

Then: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4876366,-81.7163588,3a,75y,184.98h,94.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svhovs3tocPPiBlMQXh39hg!2e0!5s20070701T000000!7i3328!8i1664

 

Now:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4876653,-81.7163757,3a,75y,184.98h,94.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sv_rat90cMFyexsVKSSqkBA!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

 

 

  • Like 18
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Hingetown resident, just a few updates I've noticed from being around town (being nosy):

  • The Cleveland Vibrator Company has vacated their former property and has completed their move to Hinckley Pkwy. Snavely is currently using the land for construction parking for the teams working on Snavely Phase III. 
  • Speaking of Phase III, they are already working on the third story of the building... The workers are out there in rain, snow, 10 degree weather, etc. Give them credit. 
  • The Key Bank in the 25th Lofts building should be opening any day now. The interior work is practically complete. The exterior signage is up and wheelchair ramps have been installed.
  • H&R Block/Sherwin have officially moved out of Market Square. Once Key Bank vacates, the building will be officially (completely) empty. I'd anticipate demolition would kick off right away.
  • The Dexter is quietly making some big strides. They're constructing what I assume are elevator shafts (pictured below) and have had cranes onsite for a while now.
  • I can't necessarily confirm but it does appear that there is some work going on inside of the new Pins Mechanical spot on 25th. 

1580F04B-50DF-4F5F-BFA6-19F409170DF2.thumb.jpeg.a63b76654dbf8d0a75b396deca6925c2.jpeg

Edited by BJBaes
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Key Bank is opening up their new location in the Lofts Building on March 9th. Their last day at the current location is March 6th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many floors is it to be?  Anxious to see one across East 28th start - behind Church and State.  That will make the difference for this to  be considered primarily a small apartment district, and that's fine with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJP said:

 

I wish I could afford to buy the sign & everything else in that little spot - as is - and reopen somewhere down the street. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that where the bldg. was to ve replaced by a new one and the hot dog place would resurface?  If do, a shame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lafont said:

Isn't that where the bldg. was to ve replaced by a new one and the hot dog place would resurface?  If do, a shame!

Yes, I see it is.  Did the new construction depend on the hot dog place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am ok with this^ Although the Hot Dog Inn is a staple that will be missed, architecturally, it was basically a shanty building. We are adding density, and quite frankly, an improvement architecturally, I think it's a win.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lafont said:

How many floors is it to be?  Anxious to see one across East 28th start - behind Church and State.  That will make the difference for this to  be considered primarily a small apartment district, and that's fine with me.

5 floors. 88 units.

24C82F3D-4CD9-4B8C-AA1C-32AC180AE047.jpeg

Edited by marty15
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, YO to the CLE said:

I am ok with this^ Although the Hot Dog Inn is a staple that will be missed, architecturally, it was basically a shanty building. We are adding density, and quite frankly, an improvement architecturally, I think it's a win.

 

So are the owners. It timed up perfectly with planned retirement and gave them a reason to call it quits

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

 

So are the owners. It timed up perfectly with planned retirement and gave them a reason to call it quits

 

And most importantly to them it seems, an opportunity to complain about the development boogeyman.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jam40jeff said:

 

And most importantly to them it seems, an opportunity to complain about the development boogeyman.

 

I think Cleveland Scene might've used a quote to get their oft-biased message across. The Sorma's have no ill-will towards the developers. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

 

I think Cleveland Scene might've used a quote to get their oft-biased message across. The Sorma's have no ill-will towards the developers. 

 

Good to know, but do you think there was more context?  Re-reading the quote, it's hard to imagine what else was meant by "As with everything these days, developers have taken over," although he does then go on to explain how they gave him an opportunity to come into the new building but he was just ready to retire.  I'm just not sure why the first part was necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jam40jeff said:

 

Good to know, but do you think there was more context?  Re-reading the quote, it's hard to imagine what else was meant by "As with everything these days, developers have taken over," although he does then go on to explain how they gave him an opportunity to come into the new building but he was just ready to retire.  I'm just not sure why the first part was necessary.


I think it’s a reference to who holds sway in available properties in Ohio City. Perhaps he wishes they’d preserve the building, but he’s certainly not bitter about the situation as whole

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KNEZ is no longer playing around...

 

Near West Design Review Case Report

FULTON ROW TOWNHOMES

 

Project Information

Near West Case #  NW 2020-002

Address: 2300 Fulton Road

Company: Knez Homes

Architect: Sixmo

Description: Approximately 57 new-construction townhomes in Ohio City.

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Description: Approximately 57 new-construction townhomes in Ohio City.

 

Damn, that's a pretty serious town-home development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many interesting possibilities here, including the excess land RTA owns here for a rail station that was never built.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clefan98 said:

KNEZ is no longer playing around...

 

Near West Design Review Case Report

FULTON ROW TOWNHOMES

 

Project Information

Near West Case #  NW 2020-002

Address: 2300 Fulton Road

Company: Knez Homes

Architect: Sixmo

Description: Approximately 57 new-construction townhomes in Ohio City.

 

 

I had gotten some intel from Knez about this site since I had put in an offer (that was rejected) on a house nearby. I knew it was going to be townhomes, but I had no idea he was planning this many! Fantastic development for the neighborhood. I really wonder when redevelopment is going to jump 90 and pass over into Clark-Fulton.

 

For those that aren't aware, this will likely extend w36 st and curve around into w 37th st. Knez owns two large properties there under a subsidiary "Nascent Land Development LLC".

Edited by dastler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to imagine this site's proximity to the Red Line Greenway will be a big selling point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As reported elsewhere on UO, Knez has their name on and has been building townhomes, apartments and single-family homes all over the city. Nothing too major, but collectively, they are changing the face of the Cleveland.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cfdwarrior said:

Any idea as to what these townhomes will look like?

 

I'm working on it. But I may have to proceed without it. And the article about it will contain a little bit of a KennyScoops bomb.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fulton+area+developments-labeled.jpg

 

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2020

Fulton Road deadzone to be enlivened by trails, rails & housing

 

Between Cleveland's growing Ohio City and Clark-Fulton neighorhoods is a deadzone of railroad tracks, a 10-lane Interstate highway, scrap recycling businesses and two historic cemeteries. But efforts are gearing up to pump new life into this area.

Knez Homes is seeking approvals from the City of Cleveland to build one of its largest townhome developments in the city so far. As proposed, Fulton Row Townhomes would add 58 townhouses to vacant land the west side of Fulton Road, between the 180-year-old Willet Street Cemetery and the Norfolk Southern Corp. railroad tracks. Fulton's original name was Willet.

Through an affiliate Nascent Land Development, LLC, Knez bought 2.1 acres of land in 2017 for $135,000, according to county records. The low price reflects the decades-long lack of real estate activity in this tired-looking neighborhood of aging, modest wood-frame homes, underutilized light industries, vacant houses and empty lots.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/02/fulton-road-deadzone-to-be-enlivened-by.html

  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KJP said:

Fulton+area+developments-labeled.jpg

 

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2020

Fulton Road deadzone to be enlivened by trails, rails & housing

 

Between Cleveland's growing Ohio City and Clark-Fulton neighorhoods is a deadzone of railroad tracks, a 10-lane Interstate highway, scrap recycling businesses and two historic cemeteries. But efforts are gearing up to pump new life into this area.

Knez Homes is seeking approvals from the City of Cleveland to build one of its largest townhome developments in the city so far. As proposed, Fulton Row Townhomes would add 58 townhouses to vacant land the west side of Fulton Road, between the 180-year-old Willet Street Cemetery and the Norfolk Southern Corp. railroad tracks. Fulton's original name was Willet.

Through an affiliate Nascent Land Development, LLC, Knez bought 2.1 acres of land in 2017 for $135,000, according to county records. The low price reflects the decades-long lack of real estate activity in this tired-looking neighborhood of aging, modest wood-frame homes, underutilized light industries, vacant houses and empty lots.

 

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/02/fulton-road-deadzone-to-be-enlivened-by.html


Possible Fulton Road Red Line in-fill station? Hooray!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...