Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mrnyc

Sandusky-Erie Islands: Random Development and News

Recommended Posts

I “lived” (quotes because that building was barely habitable) in those dorms in the summer of 2012 and other than being super close to work, they were awful in every single way. 

  • Like 1

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have heard some tales about cedars dorms.. from what Ive read, itll most likely just be for more parking, as the marina is pretty tight for it in that area.. Perimeter rd may also see a little bit of a change too.

 

Gotta get back to cp this summer.. been craving cheese on a stick! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Island upgrade: Ohio State wants to overhaul its Lake Erie campus

 

lakeerielabflyover*750xx3264-1836-0-306.

 

OSU thinks it can do more at an island on Lake Erie.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/03/19/island-upgrade-ohio-state-wants-to-overhaul-its.html


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically, improve Stone Lab. 


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Basically, improve Stone Lab. 

Huh. I was wondering from the tone of the first few sentences if they were considering some kind of building spree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the ceremonial groundbreaking for the new Cedar Fair/BGSU Resort & Attraction Management Facility in downtown Sandusky. When done, it'll have 80 apartments, four classrooms, and almost 1,500 square feet of retail space. And best of all, it's being built on a surface parking lot. 

bgsu.png

bgsu2.png

bgsu3.png

IMG_2120.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a nice write-up of some of the current projects going on in & around downtown Sandusky:
 

Boomtown Sandusky: See the projects transforming Lake Erie's Destination City

 

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Jim Ervin got in on the ground floor of Sandusky. 

Literally, he set up his Sandusky Segwave tours – with the tagline, “Be shore and wave!” – in a corner storefront of Sandusky State Theatre. Figuratively, he arrived just as the 200-year-old Destination City began a re-boom, with $100 million in investment downtown in the last decade. 


FULL STORY: https://expo.cleveland.com/news/g66l-2019/05/58f10c905a2773/boomtown-sandusky-see-the-projects-transforming-lake-eries-destination-city.html

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 3:19 AM, TwoStickney419 said:

Have heard some tales about cedars dorms.. from what Ive read, itll most likely just be for more parking, as the marina is pretty tight for it in that area.. Perimeter rd may also see a little bit of a change too.

 

Gotta get back to cp this summer.. been craving cheese on a stick! 

If those walls could talk! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cedar Point could have burned Cedars down with flamethrowers and salted the earth afterwards and they'd still not manage to purify that patch of earth... that place was basically a 1970s-era bathhouse cranked up to 11 most nights, it felt like.

  • Haha 3

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We boated to Cedar Point once and stayed at the marina (late 70's- early 80's?). There was a mild breeze from the north that wafted a considerable marijuana odor over all the boats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bjk said:

We boated to Cedar Point once and stayed at the marina (late 70's- early 80's?). There was a mild breeze from the north that wafted a considerable marijuana odor over all the boats.

 

Cedar Point, the aHAZEment park!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No TPH2 in that picture? Boo!

  • Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

No TPH2 in that picture? Boo!

 

 

I was right behind the photographer 🙂 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this thread outlining the process and work that went into the Jackson Street Pier Transformation! What an incredible project.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any type of permanent water taxi between Cedar Point and Downtown Sandusky? If not, it's a very missed opportunity. I think Downtown Sandusky has reached the point where Cedar Point tourists would like visiting it. A connection from Downtown Sandusky to Put-in-Bay and Kelley's would be great too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dblcut3 said:

Is there any type of permanent water taxi between Cedar Point and Downtown Sandusky? If not, it's a very missed opportunity. I think Downtown Sandusky has reached the point where Cedar Point tourists would like visiting it. A connection from Downtown Sandusky to Put-in-Bay and Kelley's would be great too. 

 

Jet Express?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the jet ski to the Jackson St. pier over the weekend, just to get a view from the water. The place was a HIVE of activity and looked absolutely beautiful

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, surfohio said:

 

Jet Express?

I didn't know the Jet Express ran out of Sandusky, I thought it was only Port Clinton. Good to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dblcut3 said:

I didn't know the Jet Express ran out of Sandusky, I thought it was only Port Clinton. Good to know!

 I dont think the jet makes runs from sandusky regularly.  It's probably a special event thing.. my work in toledo would do 2 jet express runs to PIB a year, That were all sold out in advance.. 

 

Pretty sure the only sandusky water transportation service is the trips to Pelee island

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TwoStickney419 said:

 I dont think the jet makes runs from sandusky regularly.  It's probably a special event thing.. my work in toledo would do 2 jet express runs to PIB a year, That were all sold out in advance.. 

 

Pretty sure the only sandusky water transportation service is the trips to Pelee island

 

Jet Express has regular service from Sandusky to Cedar Point, Kelley's Island, and Put-in-Bay. It's not as frequent as Port Clinton's service (the same Sandusky boat makes multiple stops per trip) but a boat leaves from Sandusky about every 2 hours.

 

I used to live directly across the street from the dock.

Edited by Tobias C
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dblcut3 said:

Is there any type of permanent water taxi between Cedar Point and Downtown Sandusky? If not, it's a very missed opportunity. I think Downtown Sandusky has reached the point where Cedar Point tourists would like visiting it. A connection from Downtown Sandusky to Put-in-Bay and Kelley's would be great too. 

 

I've always envisioned them bringing back the GW Boeckling steamship ferry for downtown Sandusky to Cedar Point traffic. Whether it be a restored old ship, or a modern ferry. Cedar Fairs could help develop downtown Sandusky by bringing some nice hotels down there.

 

I always thought it would be cool if they developed the land across Water St from Shoreline Park and the Yacht Club, as well as the land next door at the old Sandusky Bay Pavilion into a big mixed use development leading toward Battery Park. More restaurants and shops with a big hotel or 2 above it all. But have it all very oriented to Water St so theres somewhat of a symbiosis and cohesiveness between Downtown and this new little district.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tobias C said:

 

I've always envisioned them bringing back the GW Boeckling steamship ferry for downtown Sandusky to Cedar Point traffic. Whether it be a restored old ship, or a modern ferry. Cedar Fairs could help develop downtown Sandusky by bringing some nice hotels down there.

 

I always thought it would be cool if they developed the land across Water St from Shoreline Park and the Yacht Club, as well as the land next door at the old Sandusky Bay Pavilion into a big mixed use development leading toward Battery Park. More restaurants and shops with a big hotel or 2 above it all. But have it all very oriented to Water St so theres somewhat of a symbiosis and cohesiveness between Downtown and this new little district.

Honestly I think Cedar Point would have good reason to do this. Making Downtown Sandusky into a destination would probably help their business and increase tourism. Especially if they build a hotel of their own down there. There's a ton of potential for Sandusky and it seems like a waste not to tap into that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chatter I collected from being up on Marblehead all weekend is that Downtown Sandusky wants to be to summer what Ellicotville is for winter in the region. 

 

I could only get a look from the water, but the pier and surrounding buildings looked amazing. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downtown Sandusky and Port Clinton should definitely go after the market of being the new go to place for tourist lodging/entertainment/dining in the area for a slightly more sophisticated customer. Most of the schlock hotels/motels and restaurants that exist on the state routes feeding CP are really really bad, and not cheap in high season, and stuck in the past. The infrastructure, walkablility and authenticity of both towns is remarkable.

Edited by metrocity
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, metrocity said:

Downtown Sandusky and Port Clinton should definitely go after the market of being the new go to place for tourist lodging/entertainment/dining in the area for a slightly more sophisticated customer. Most of the schlock hotels/motels and restaurants that exist on the state routes feeding CP are really really bad, and not cheap in high season, and stuck in the past. The infrastructure, walkablility and authenticity of both towns is remarkable.

 

I was out in Port Clinton last weekend.  Due to Covid and the Lake flooding, the main downtown street was closed and used for patio seating for restaurants.  It was really quite nice!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...