Guest KJP

Cleveland: Inner Belt/I-90 News & Info

My reference was to "blue light" specials at k-mart..being cheap on existing infrastructure..seemed funny at 3:00 AM  :drunk:

It would be cool if there was a warning light though or are the closed lanes and no trucks signs enough of a warning already?

My reference was to "blue light" specials at k-mart..being cheap on existing infrastructure..seemed funny at 3:00 AM :drunk:

It would be cool if there was a warning light though or are the closed lanes and no trucks signs enough of a warning already?

Don't worry, I got the reference :).

if this doesn't become a NATIONAL rallying point for neglect of our existing urban infrastructure then what will?

Six dead motorists in Minnesota.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

^Problem is that the l-35 bridge failure is being blamed on inadequate design and overloading due to construction equipment. I really believe our very own inner belt bridge is a better poster child for neglect of/failure to invest in existing urban infrastructure.

I think it is less than wise to advertise which one single link in the bridge could  cause the entire stucture to collapse in a post 9/11 world.

if this doesn't become a NATIONAL rallying point for neglect of our existing urban infrastructure then what will?

Six dead motorists in Minnesota.

More than that, I think.  13?

More than that, I think. 13?

You are correct, sir!

http://media.myfoxtwincities.com/special/35wbridgecollapse/index.htm

Will RTA busses be allowed on the bridge?

Another good question. I suspect they won't. But ask Jerry in the RTA thread.

Will RTA busses be allowed on the bridge?

Another good question. I suspect they won't. But ask Jerry in the RTA thread.

According the the Channel 3 news report last night, busses will also be banned from the bridge.

It made me wonder about snow plows/salt trucks.

Inner Belt bridge project highlighted in bold....

http://www.cleveland.com/westsidesun/news/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1231445328181590.xml&coll=4

Cleveland submits wish list of projects for federal funds

Thursday, January 08, 2009

By Ken Prendergast

kprendergast@sunnews.com

West Side Sun News

Among $1.56 billion worth of infrastructure projects submitted by the city for federal economic stimulus funds, Mayor Frank Jackson singled out four projects as his highest priorities.

Jackson submitted his 66-project list Dec. 22 to President-elect Barack Obama, Gov. Ted Strickland and Ohio's Congressional Delegation. In it, he highlighted these four projects:

+ $350 million for construction of a new westbound Innerbelt-Central Viaduct (Interstate 90) bridge over the Cuyahoga River valley.

+ $50 million for repair of the slumping Riverbed Road hillside in Ohio City which threatens to close the Cuyahoga River to shipping traffic.

+ $300 million for the Opportunity Corridor boulevard from Interstate 490 to University Circle.

+ $30 million for rebuilding the West Shoreway (state Route 2) between West 25th Street and Clifton Boulevard.

"The first two projects are very real public safety threats," Jackson wrote in his letter to Obama. "We seek action now to avoid tragedies such as the bridge collapse in Minneapolis."

Sounds like it......

We should of got funding for this bridge already, while Columbus is asking for light rail. ODOT sucks. I don't know much about the passenger rail connecting the 3 C's  but is Columbus and Cincy asking for money to get it started as well?

We should of got funding

Yes, we should HAVE.

I don't know much about the passenger rail connecting the 3 C's  but is Columbus and Cincy asking for money to get it started as well?

I don't believe so.

This is retread but it's also reiteration.  To his credit, Frank Jackson is being most adamant about this.  Hopefully he gets what he wants.  This project fits 100% into Obama's stated plans. 

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=105596&catid=45

Mayor Jackson: Shutting down Innerbelt Bridge not acceptable

CLEVELAND -- Shutting down the Innerbelt Bridge does not work for Cleveland's mayor.

Mayor Frank Jackson told state officials Wednesday a one-year shutdown of the bridge is not acceptable... 

^I couldn't disagree more.  Close the bridge and get the single span built.  It's going to be 1 year of taking a couple mile detour.  Sure traffic will be worse but it's only a year.  They'll add lanes where they can at all the interchanges and major on/off ramps downtown.  I don't think it would be a huge deal... but that's coming from a guy that currently lives and works downtown. 

The current lane closures are a big deal for west siders, especially since the same thing has taken place on Detroit and the Shoreway simultaneously.  Anyone who wants the innerbelt closed, please come visit the Edgewater neighborhood around 8:30 some morning.

There's a reason Jackson keeps insisting on this.  If all 3 primary routes into downtown are torn up at the same time, he will be in Trouble.

Then I propose suspending work on the Shoreway (except for the water main thing) until the bridge is completed.  Open up as many lanes as humanly possible on the Shoreway and let them fly into downtown for the year the bridge is out.  I understand it's an inconvenience... but a $300 million inconvenience?  I don't buy that.

The water main thing IS what's tying up the shoreway.  Right now we're down one lane (inbound) on it, one on Detroit, and one on the innerbelt.  That has been enough to make Clifton a parking lot.  The innerbelt handles more traffic than either of the others, so closing all of those lanes could back up Lorain, Detroit, and 25th in addition to Clifton.  Diverting 90/71 traffic over 490 to 77 will force the entire west and south commutes to merge in a way they never have before.  Even if the shoreway were at full capacity, I would not recommend closing the innerbelt.

But the sewer interceptor (not a water main) on the Shoreway should be done this summer, long before any major work starts on the Innerbelt bridge.

But the sewer interceptor (not a water main) on the Shoreway should be done this summer, long before any major work starts on the Innerbelt bridge.

Good.

Great idea! (another reason to be thankful I don't live on the west side, eh!?)

I say tear the dam thing down. No new inner belt bridge [make those drivers use 490] or opportunity cooridor. More public transportation!

Down with bridges.

Four lanes of Inner Belt Bridge to close for repairs

Posted by kturner February 05, 2009 13:26PM

CLEVELAND — Inner Belt Bridge lanes will be closed tonight and Friday night so crews can widen an expansion joint on the west end of the bridge.

The left two inbound, or east, lanes will close from 9 p.m. tonight until 6 a.m. Friday. One lane will remain open.

The left two outbound, or west, lanes will close from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Saturday. One lane will remain open...

I have no desire to ever be on that bridge again.  I'm glad they're doing things to keep it safe, but they keep having to do more things.

just tear the whole thing down.  We have I-490 and several major roadways!

490 doesn't go anywhere and the alternative roadways are all under construction at the same time.  I'm with Frank Jackson on this, we can't lose that bridge right now.  I just won't be on it.

just tear the whole thing down.  We have I-490 and several major roadways!

490 doesn't go anywhere and the alternative roadways are all under construction at the same time.  I'm with Frank Jackson on this, we can't lose that bridge right now.  I just won't be on it.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

490 connects you to 71 & 77 just like the innerbelt bridge does!

Lorain, Detroit and the shoreway are all operating and even under construction there are plenty of major roadways.

The standard Cleveland traffic metrics you're using do not apply.  I realize you're in NYC and you haven't been to the west side of Cleveland lately.  Traffic has been unlike anything I've ever experienced here, on every route.  Clifton through Edgewater is gridlocked every morning.  Sometimes it backs up into Lakewood, and occasionally Detroit Ave is gridlocked INTO LAKEWOOD as well.  It's almost always gridlocked for morning rush between 85th and the Gordon Square construction.  Lorain Ave is not affected (that I know of), but it isn't really an alternative to anyone living north of I-90.

Cough Cough --- West Shore Corridor commuter rail --- cough cough.......

Cough Cough --- West Shore Corridor commuter rail --- cough cough.......

Is that even on any of the infrastructure wish lists?  I figured it would be all over the news by now, but I haven't heard a peep (present company excluded).

Yes, but only for planning money to make it "shovel ready." It could be fast-tracked with state money or be called a demonstration project but that hasn't happened yet. Apparently our decision makers are fine with traffic the way it is...

The standard Cleveland traffic metrics you're using do not apply.  I realize you're in NYC and you haven't been to the west side of Cleveland lately.  Traffic has been unlike anything I've ever experienced here, on every route.  Clifton through Edgewater is gridlocked every morning.  Sometimes it backs up into Lakewood, and occasionally Detroit Ave is gridlocked INTO LAKEWOOD as well.  It's almost always gridlocked for morning rush between 85th and the Gordon Square construction.  Lorain Ave is not affected (that I know of), but it isn't really an alternative to anyone living north of I-90.

I live in Cleveland (see avatar) I go to the westside, via Rapid all the time.  When I drive, I take 490. 

So what there is a little gridlock, we've been spoiled here in Cleveland too long with light traffic.  Now its called a problem.  I disagree.

That bridge can come down and leaving plenty of routes in to/out of downtown. 

Again, those on i-90 or I-77 can connect with downtown

I live in Cleveland (see avatar) I go to the westside, via Rapid all the time.  When I drive, I take 490. 

So what there is a little gridlock, we've been spoiled here in Cleveland too long with light traffic.  Now its called a problem.  I disagree.

That bridge can come down and leaving plenty of routes in to/out of downtown. 

Again, those on i-90 or I-77 can connect with downtown

You use 490 because you're going to/from Shaker, as opposed to downtown where all these other roads go.  That final stretch of 77 is not nearly big enough to handle everyone from 90 EB, 71, and 77 in the morning.  No way, no how.  Cleveland traffic is famously low-key, and we're in no position to lose advantages right now.  NYC has bad traffic because it's in high demand.  Part of Cleveland has bad traffic right now because of inexcusable planning failures.  If it gets any worse, it will sap value from west side properties for years to come.

I leave downtown via 77>490>90>West Boulevard, and 77>490>71>West 25th (or the other way around) almost everyday. These routes work just fine and, with some improvements, would operate sufficiently enough as a detour for a couple of years while the bridge is replaced.

On occasion I take the West Boulevard>Clifton>West Shoreway route. I have seen the backups and now leave earlier. Not very difficult if you ask me... but you didn't.