Guest Mov2Ohio

Cleveland: Hotels, Conventions, and Tourism News & Info

24 minutes ago, freethink said:

So this is something I put together last year regarding Convention Center expansion and a possible new hotel site. Thought I would share...

IMG_20190908_204409_081.JPG

IMG_20190908_132548_449.JPG

Great place for a second hotel. I always thought that the present hotel was too small. A 1,000 room hotel would have allowed for bigger conventions. Maybe this will correct that. I wonder if Hilton would be interested?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, B767PILOT said:

Great place for a second hotel. I always thought that the present hotel was too small. A 1,000 room hotel would have allowed for bigger conventions. Maybe this will correct that. I wonder if Hilton would be interested?  

They're expanding in Columbus! Plus the county would be the entity really taking the risk. Hilton would just be slapping their name all over the building.

• Like 1

Along Ontario, its only about 80 feet from the sidewalk to the Medical Mart---is that wide enough to support a tall hotel?  To get 450 rooms, how many stories would the hotel be? If it fits, it would a great use of the stupidly-designed setback.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pugu said:

Along Ontario, its only about 80 feet from the sidewalk to the Medical Mart---is that wide enough to support a tall hotel?  To get 450 rooms, how many stories would the hotel be? If it fits, it would a great use of the stupidly-designed setback.

I was projecting the building to be about 22 stories with the Hotel starting at about the 5th floor and the first five levels for lobby/common area, meeting rooms and a couple of shared floors with the Global Center. Because of the site the floor plates would be on the small side maybe 12k.  The building would be about 275k sq ft  and cost around 75mil. And yes Hilton would be the obvious choice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, freethink said:

I was projecting the building to be about 22 stories with the Hotel starting at about the 5th floor and the first five levels for lobby/common area, meeting rooms and a couple of shared floors with the Global Center. Because of the site the floor plates would be on the small side maybe 12k.  The building would be about 275k sq ft  and cost around 75mil. And yes Hilton would be the obvious choice.

The interesting thing is that a hotel of that size could be financed in part with a TIF from the bed taxes it could generate. I ran the numbers on a 300-room hotel and estimated it would cost about $150 million. A bed tax TIF could fund as much as half the cost. MORE: https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/cleveland-can-energize-its-lakefront-in.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

13 minutes ago, KJP said:

The interesting thing is that a hotel of that size could be financed in part with a TIF from the bed taxes it could generate. I ran the numbers on a 300-room hotel and estimated it would cost about $150 million. A bed tax TIF could fund as much as half the cost. MORE: https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/06/cleveland-can-energize-its-lakefront-in.html

Very feasible then.

1 hour ago, WindyBuckeye said:

Very feasible then.

"Potentially" feasible. It assumes that the hotel would have occupancy rates comparable to those at the Hilton. If it doesn't, then the county's general fund might have to make up the difference.

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Just now, KJP said:

"Potentially" feasible. It assumes that the hotel would have occupancy rates comparable to those at the Hilton. If it doesn't, then the county's general fund might have to make up the difference.

I think based on need for conventions the hotel would do well.

1 minute ago, WindyBuckeye said:

I think based on need for conventions the hotel would do well.

What about a hotel 450-500 rooms?  Wouldnt this give the CC  better chance of landing some really big events?  

• Like 1

Just now, B767PILOT said:

What about a hotel 450-500 rooms?  Wouldnt this give the CC  better chance of landing some really big events?  

Yeah I think so. It would alleviate the hotel need currently. My onlky worry is the need for more convention space with the additional hotel room need filled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyBuckeye said:

Yeah I think so. It would alleviate the hotel need currently. My onlky worry is the need for more convention space with the additional hotel room need filled.

Well, we have the Med Mart on property. I've been away a long time so forgive the lack knowledge on how that is working. But I think I recently read where they know they have the ability and space for larger shows but not the additional near property hotel space to carry it off

• Like 1

Bump the body of the Global Center building out to Ontario Street and build the hotel over it. The hotel floorplates could be cantilevered over the Center for an easy 20-30 feet of additional width per floor without having to rip into the body of the Center to drive pilings.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

I don't understand why whoever owns the "Hotel Cleveland" (you know, where the Kon Tiki Room is) just don't expand to the west. 

It would be so easy.

22 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

I don't understand why whoever owns the "Hotel Cleveland" (you know, where the Kon Tiki Room is) just don't expand to the west. 

It would be so easy.

Patience.... 😉

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

An expansion for the Hilton behind the Global Center wouldn't be too difficult. That space is both longer and wider than the current hotel tower, and if its connected as part of the current Hilton, you wouldn't need to build lobby space and amenities. It could theoretically just be hotel rooms from the ground floor up (though definitely better with some street fronting uses there...), making adding rooms much cheaper than the original hotel tower was.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 10:47 AM, B767PILOT said:

Without the closure of the IX all this is moot.  Closing the IX, a competing property, will help and enhance the number of events in the downtown space and encourage people to stay atleast one night.

yeah for sure closing IX would help the downtown center and hotel market, but IX is 5x larger and in fact one of the largest convention ready facilities available. i dk how often something so massive is needed, not very often i would imagine, but it is quite a unique amenity for the region to have available.

1 hour ago, mrnyc said:

yeah for sure closing IX would help the downtown center and hotel market, but IX is 5x larger and in fact one of the largest convention ready facilities available. i dk how often something so massive is needed, not very often i would imagine, but it is quite a unique amenity for the region to have available.

The IX is also a non-union building and is able to compete by pricing itself under the downtown convention center.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mrnyc said:

A venue of equal or greater size is needed if the IX center were to close.  You'll need a facility that can handle all of it's current events.  Being downtown, there would be more ancillary spending.  So hotel occupancy would increase.  

Also closing the IX center would allow the City to "redevelop" the airport.